Low-cost to publish journals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladysmanfelpz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some medical students and myself did a pretty interesting case report on a transgender pt not treating their PCOS to help transition. We are looking to publish, but everything is dam expensive, like $1000 dollar to publish. What are some cheaper options? We are looking at Cureus. Anything else? Will the APA resident journal publish a case report?

Also other just general helpful tips to helping get published would be appreciated. Thank you everybody.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There are plenty of free options. I don't encourage pay to play publishing. Examples: Harvard Review of Psychiatry, Psychosomatics, AJP Resident's Journal, Current Psychiatry Reports.

Asking you to pay to publish is a red flag in my opinion. If you do go with such a journal read up carefully to make sure it is legitimate (see the classic "Get Me Off Your F***ing Mailing List" article: "Get Me Off Your ****ing Mailing List" is an actual science paper accepted by a journal).

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I remember looking into case reports as a resident and gave up. Was seeing $1000 price tag on things, too.

No only low quality journals will make you pay in general
It's bifurcated. In the past, author fees were associated only with predatory journals, and thus were stigmatized.

With the entry of legitimate open access journals to scientific publishing, author fees became more widely used and accepted.

More recently, higher impact journals that originally functioned under the old model of subscriber-pays realized they could parlay their prestige factor into a cash grab. First they started step-down open access journals with huge author fees (hey, sorry, your paper isn't quite good enough for Molecular Psychiatry, but we'll kick it down to Translational Psychiatry for a marginal prestige reduction and the low low price of $3K in author fees).

Eventually as the author fees became even more normalized, they realized they could even charge them on the original flagship journal, regardless of open access status.

Now you can pretty much count on paying an author fee, not only for a predatory journal, but for almost any high impact journal or for any open access journal regardless of impact factor. There are still a bunch of solid mid tier non open access journals that don't charge them, because they have too much competition and their impact factor isn't high enough for most authors to swallow the $$. But scientific publishing as a whole is moving toward the author fee as an acknowledged standard practice, and at this point most people figure the cost into their grant application budgets.

Low impact papers like case reports are hard to publish without going predatory. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology still publishes case reports and doesn't charge author fees as far as I know, so that could be worth a try.

The best sniff test for a journal is whether it is indexed on PubMed. If it isn't PubMed indexed, odds are nobody will ever find or read your paper and it will just get buried. There used to be this listing of predatory journals Beall's List – of Potential Predatory Journals and Publishers that was helpful as well, but I don't think it's being updated anymore so may no longer be very useful.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Best thing to do with an interesting case report is have one of the medical students submit it as a poster to a conference.

Reactions: 1 user
Some medical students and myself did a pretty interesting case report on a transgender pt not treating their PCOS to help transition. We are looking to publish, but everything is dam expensive, like $1000 dollar to publish. What are some cheaper options? We are looking at Cureus. Anything else? Will the APA resident journal publish a case report?

Also other just general helpful tips to helping get published would be appreciated. Thank you everybody.
Is it an adult or adolescent?

Adolescent.

Which journals should we be targeting?
Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health has a special issue on this topic. I'd try there and ask for a waiver of open access fees if you are students.