Where to signal (low tier applicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kgamon8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! Applying to psych (stats below). I moved to the midwest at 17 and did undergrad and med school at my state school. I like my city but would love to go somewhere more diverse. My interests are in SPMI and first-episode. I would like a strong inpatient and consult experience as I see myself doing some inpatient work. I am using two signals on reach out-of-region programs and plan on 3 for the midwest. I would really like to know if I should signal community programs. Interested in Chicago but nervous about small class size at Advocate

US MD mid/low tier
Step 1: 204
Step 2: 251
Preclinical: 3rd/4th quartile
Clinical: H in psych HP in family med (rest pass), 4th year Honors in IM Sub-I, inpatient psych Sub I, CAP, and Geri
Research: undergrad biochem research 4th author pub lol, 3rd author in psych review paper, submitted case report, presenting poster at APA next month
Extracurricular: decent amount of service, involved with DEI, GHHS
Letters: 1 IM, 3 psych. Not sure how personal they willl be unfortunately
Red flags: my Step 1: I am still not sure if I should address this on my supplemental or main application. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism but I don't want to blame this.

On residency explorer, I am in the bottom 25% of most schools. For Rush I am below all accepted residents.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Signal where you want to go. Why do you want us to tell you where to signal?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all! Applying to psych (stats below). I moved to the midwest at 17 and did undergrad and med school at my state school. I like my city but would love to go somewhere more diverse. My interests are in SPMI and first-episode. I would like a strong inpatient and consult experience as I see myself doing some inpatient work. I am using two signals on reach out-of-region programs and plan on 3 for the midwest. I would really like to know if I should signal community programs. Interested in Chicago but nervous about small class size at Advocate

US MD mid/low tier
Step 1: 204
Step 2: 251
Preclinical: 3rd/4th quartile
Clinical: H in psych HP in family med (rest pass), 4th year Honors in IM Sub-I, inpatient psych Sub I, CAP, and Geri
Research: undergrad biochem research 4th author pub lol, 3rd author in psych review paper, submitted case report, presenting poster at APA next month
Extracurricular: decent amount of service, involved with DEI, GHHS
Letters: 1 IM, 3 psych. Not sure how personal they willl be unfortunately
Red flags: my Step 1: I am still not sure if I should address this on my supplemental or main application. I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism but I don't want to blame this.

On residency explorer, I am in the bottom 25% of most schools. For Rush I am below all accepted residents.

Residency explorer is mildly reliable. I got interviews at 2 programs that said they didn't interview people with Level 1/2 scores as low as mine. Leave the Step 1 score be. Have an explanation in case they ask about it and a basic plan on how you'll study for Step 3. In psych the concern with low board scores is ability to past Step 3, you did fine on Step 2 so less likely to be a major issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your step 1 is fine. If you're Midwest applying Midwest they care more about you and your psych credentials than your step score.

Not sure the landscape now. But I can tell you I matched at my top program in the midwest. Your scores and CV was better than mine. Good luck. Have confidence.

From what I have heard from new residents is to apply broadly! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user