LECOM - Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
has anyone been able to participate in any research with any of the undergrad science professors at SH or nearby hospitals?

Nope...

Members don't see this ad.

I started doing research at the University of Pittsburgh last fall and plan to continue with it after 1st semester. Because I attended Pitt, I was able to find opportunities there as a student. However, I'm sure the LECOM faculty could help make connections for you and/or give you some leads if you are interested in doing research.

... I'm sure the LECOM faculty could help make connections for you and/or give you some leads if you are interested in doing research.
Umm... don't be sure of anything until you get here. There are new faculty coming in next year, and they might have some connections (and since they are new, LECOM won't have beaten the helpful out of them yet). It probably depends on what kind of research you wanted to do too. I don't want to discourage anyone, and you have as good a chance on arranging your own volunteering with clinical research here as you would in most places except that the school has no relationship with any hospitals or medical systems yet. Lab research might be harder, unless any of our new faculty has connections somewhere and you have something to offer...

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any advice (housing, books, things you wish you knew before hand) for the incoming class of 2014? THANKS!

dadams09,

Can you be more specific? LECOM Seton Hill has a Facebook site with lots of info in the discussions tab. Join up and take a look.

CE

Unfortunately, the information on Seton Hill is really lacking on LECOM's website.

Are LECOM students at Seton Hill working with standardized patients at regular intervals? I was really impressed with the facilities in Erie.

Greensburg native here (pre-med but hopeful future LECOM student)

Just wanted to throw out that the best places in the are to rent are:

Youngwood
New Stanton - I live here and my apt complex has openings, 15 mins away
Latrobe
Mt. Pleasant
Scottdale
Delmont
Unity (also called Pleasant Unity)
Ligonier

If anyone has questions regarding housing or interesting things to do in the area please PM me and I will be glad to help. You may even see me if you rotate through the Excela system, I am a local medic.

Good luck with your classes and best wishes for a great future

dxu

Hey,

I literally just got accepted yesterday (15jul10) and as you know orientation is July 24th. I am frantically trying to find a place to live! I would prefer to live with another student. Please email me at [email protected] about any housing opportunities.

Thanks B.J.

I just got accepted off the WL today for Seton Hill! Anyone know where I can find housing ASAP?

I just got accepted off the WL today for Seton Hill! Anyone know where I can find housing ASAP?

Me too Kimari except I got accepted today.. Have you made any headway in the housing department? Im basically screwed.. thikning about hoteling it until I find the right place/situ.
email me atand we can talk about where to look, I should be in Greensburg friday afternoon.

Last edited:
I can't fly in until Saturday morning (right before orientation!) but I have contacted a landlord who says that he plans to accommodate a bunch of med students together in a dorm-style building:

- $300 per month for singles until Jan, then $400 for singles and $300 for doubles
- Rent includes all utilities (A/C, heat, internet, laundry) and a YMCA membership
- Rent is month by month so there are no leases to sign
- There is parking available for an additional $35 a month
- There is a large communal kitchen with refrigerators
- We also have an eating area, a lounge and a pool table

From student Mark Barkett: "It is kind of like a dorm room set up, couple rooms down two halls with shared bathrooms, a lounge area, a kitchen and eating area. The rooms also look like dorm rooms ,nothing special, and are larger than I had when I lived in dorms at OU. But they do come fully furnished with a desk, bed, a high boy dresser."

The landlord's name is Rick Nedley and he can be contacted at (724) 834-0150. This is the number to the YMCA building downtown but just ask for him.

Why is the Seton Hill facebook class so empty like only 2/3rds of spots filled? Anyone think they still have openings at this campus?

There are 110 students listed in the collaboration section of the LECOM student portal. I think that is the max for the class. You can see the names of everyone who is in our class. I found the information under our Histology course information. I don't think everyone uses facebook. I kind of prefer SDN, but this site is very addictive. :)

Me too Kimari except I got accepted today.. Have you made any headway in the housing department? Im basically screwed.. thikning about hoteling it until I find the right place/situ.
email me at [email protected] and we can talk about where to look, I should be in Greensburg friday afternoon.

Hey, congrats on the acceptance! I ended up going with The Lofts based on the recommendation of Linda Linville, and I'm signing a lease on Sunday when I fly in (I know, I'm really cutting it close). It was pretty much the only apartment complex I looked into, but it's a lot pricier than the YMCA location mentioned up-thread. The Lofts is $600 for a single room in a furnished, four bedroom, two bathroom suite - utilities included. The management is very friendly and it's located 1.2 miles from Seton Hill. They require a one-year lease.

Dear class of 2013, I enjoy reading this thread a lot because it gives me insight view about Seton HIll
I am MS1 for the class of 2014 Lecom seton HIll . I am looking to buy or rent some books from previous class of seton Hill : osteopathic approach 3rd from DiGriovana and osteopathi atlas 3rdfrom Nicholas, the Drake anatomy, basic biochemistry 3rd from Liberman, Immune system from Parham, basic pharmacology 11 th, from katzung, physiology 12 th from hall , and microbiology 6 th from Murray

How's the diversity for the LECOM class and campus/ area?

OMSI here: There's 113 Students according to LECOM's portal.....most students are from the Midwest (I'm from Chicago) but I've met people from Los Angeles/Irvine, New York, Texas, etc. Our class probably isn't as diverse as Western Univ or NYCOM, but people do come from all backgrounds and academic/work experiences. I can't wait for PBL sessions to start so I can interact with so many different students!

Regarding the Greensburg area, it's a bit on the rural side...but the campus is very nice (great view) and located on a hill in downtown Greensburg, so there are bars and such in the area (along with really old buildings and a couple theatres). The campus is also right next to the Amtrak and bus stations, so it's a convenient one hour ride over to Pittsburgh (or 40 min drive).

Right now, we're all studying very hard and there's no time for anything else...good luck!

So I was just accepted to LECOM Erie ISP pathway. Im debating on switching to Seton hill because I really liked PBL. How is this campus running now that it has be up for a couple years? are all the problems, whatever they were, fixed?
Thanks for any info!