LECOM - Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received my acceptance to SETON HILL PBL program. Are there any current students that I can talk to? I need to know the pro's and con's. How are the exams at the end of the month. I heard you have to study 800 pages worth of information. How difficult is this and what are the exams like - multiple choice or essays???

How are the facilitator's and professors and are they very helpful?

We dont have 800 pages, but it is still pretty close...around 500 to 600 pages. Yes is can be difficult but if you put in the proper amount of study time then it shouldnt be an issue. Also, if you have a wise PBL group you will learn to try and overlap topics from different books. For instance, you have a case where the patient has Diabetes Mellitus. Well in the biochem book look up fat, carb, and protein metabolism....then in the physio book look up the same thing. Much of the material is repetitive if you do it correctly but it is still hard (because of the shear amount). We have been in class for 1.5 semesters and I have four 3inch binders of material. Med school really is like trying to take a drink from a fire hydrant, but you will get through...the rest of us are.

ALL EXAMS ARE MULTIPLE CHOICE (except for anatomy and maybe a few other one credit courses)!! YAY But never essays. And they are all done on a scantron (AKA bubble sheet). I would say the exams are pretty fair for the most part. You have the option to challenge questions after each exam...those challenges are reviewed and are either double/triple keyed, dropped, or left as is. They do tend to pick questions on the more detailed side but not too detailed that it becomes an obscure fact...like at the bottom of page 761, in the left corner of chart 16-C in the footnote. It will hardly ever be that tedious.

The facilitators and professors are really good...they will answer any questions you will have if they know the answer...it is especially awesome if you get a clinician that can give you clinical tips for the case and the future. We have a radiologist that is a facilitator and she is great about explaining what to look for on MRIs, CTs, XRAYS, and so on.

As for the pros and cons they should be well covered in the above posts...if you have any specifics after reading those just post another message and me and few others will see if we can answer them.

CONGRATS on ur Acceptance!

Members don't see this ad.

DoctajMa thanks for being so helpful!!! I have some more questions - why is seton hill tuition 30,000 while erie is 28,100? also will someone give us a list of textbooks to buy? WHEN will they email us that list - in march or april? Also what about the syllabus and calendar with our schedule. Will Linda from Seton Hill or Amy Rowe send us this information? Thanks again

DoctajMa thanks for being so helpful!!! I have some more questions - why is seton hill tuition 30,000 while erie is 28,100? also will someone give us a list of textbooks to buy? WHEN will they email us that list - in march or april? Also what about the syllabus and calendar with our schedule. Will Linda from Seton Hill or Amy Rowe send us this information? Thanks again

Im not sure why we are a little more expensive. My GUESS is that it is because we do NOT own the building here on Seton Hills Campus like LECOM does up in Erie. From what I understand we have a lease with SHU so maybe that is to defray the costs...also they did a lot of refurbishing of the buildings we are in so perhaps that is also the reason (50inch plasma screens in the OMM Lab SWEETNESS!!). You will get your book list probably at the beginning of May...If i remember right...that is when we got ours. You will get your calendar and each syllabus on the first day of class during orientation.

And if I remember right you will get the email from Linda if you chose to go to the SH campus. You will get a matriculation packet a few weeks after they receive your deposit check. It contains info about how to look for housing, all the health records and tests that must be completed, and some other requirements.

Also start saving for books, they will send you a list (that would be covered by loans) but they occasionally like to..umm "tack on" books. Like for instance, a human sexuality book was not on our book list and now we have to get it in the next couple weeks and it will cost us over $100 out of pocket cause it was not on the list. This doesnt happen often but I will say alot of us bought other books not on the list (on our own accord) to help learn some of the more "dense" material...like pharmacology and what not.

So what I am trying to say is save some money for books you will be buying out of ur own pocket (if you choose) to help with difficult material. EKGs are not very easy and I ended up getting a book for that...that is an example.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks DoctaJMa!!! One more question - are the exams curved and when do you know your class rank? Is it at the end of the semester or end of the year?

Also are you graded based on how you interact in your PBL group like if you participate in the discussions, etc? What if you are on the quiet side ? Or what if you have a former nurse in your group who knows so much about medicine and you come from a music background and cant participate as much? Is your grade affected or is the grade solely based on how you do on your exams?

Are the facilitators DO doctors, PHD's?

Thank you

Thanks DoctaJMa!!! One more question - are the exams curved and when do you know your class rank? Is it at the end of the semester or end of the year?

Also are you graded based on how you interact in your PBL group like if you participate in the discussions, etc? What if you are on the quiet side ? Or what if you have a former nurse in your group who knows so much about medicine and you come from a music background and cant participate as much? Is your grade affected or is the grade solely based on how you do on your exams?

Thank you

In short, NO the exams are not curved but there is an option to contest/ challenge questions. THose questions will be reviewed and the admins decide how to make adjustments (drop, double/triple key, or leave as is).

We have not heard anything about class rank as of yet...so maybe at the end of the school year? IDK...

Yes 15% of your PBL grade is based on how you interact with the group. We have nurses, paramedics, EMTs, PA's and other people with medical knowledge as well as music and psychology majors with little background. Each group has their own interesting dynamic and every type of person adjusts into each different group. SO if you are quiet person you will learn to speak up...the dynamics of the group will teach you that...or worst case someone will call you out on it and say you need to speak up more...dont worry it is in a nice way that is not meant to be mean or rude. It also works the other way...if you have a lot of knowledge people well occassionally tell you to be quiet if you are talking too much. Either way you will get better. Trust me!

Our facilitators are DOs, MDs, PhDs, and we even have a lawyer. They all do a great job! :thumbup:

Thank you

PM for different answers for your questions

I wouldn't be in a rush to buy books - you can surely get your Anatomy, Embryology, Histology, and OMM books on the cheap from current students, and any of the others are no cheaper or faster from LECOM's bookstore than from Amazon. You will want all of your PBL books and many of the others, and even some supplemental ones - but probably not the supplemental ones that they recommend. Wait until you start, and check out all the different books in the LECOM library to find which supplemental texts you think would work best for you.

No idea where that extra tuition money goes. Erie has more instructors, facilities, and everything else I can think of.

Does the seton hill campus have a gym for students to use? If so, how big is it and is there a pool?

Also- does anyone know if all the seats for the PBL pathway on the erie campus is full? I might have to reconsider if there is no pool...

Does the seton hill campus have a gym for students to use? If so, how big is it and is there a pool?

Also- does anyone know if all the seats for the PBL pathway on the erie campus is full? I might have to reconsider if there is no pool...

There is a pool on Seton Hill's campus - I haven't used it, but we have use of their gym, so I assume the pool's fine too. If you're looking for it on your tour, it's in the same building as the SHU bookstore.

There is a pool on Seton Hill's campus - I haven't used it, but we have use of their gym, so I assume the pool's fine too. If you're looking for it on your tour, it's in the same building as the SHU bookstore.

Pool is good. Swim there twice a week...

PM for different answers for your questions

signs2.jpg

They know who we are :eek:

Awesome! So how big is the gym and is there a lot of equipment? Like would you equate to an LA fitness or a small gym...like the kind you would find in an apartment complex?

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.setonhill.edu/athletics/facilities.cfm

There's also another weight room down in the field house. Seton Hill has been very generous about letting us use all their facilities - if it's there and it's not in use by a team, we're welcome to it.

Is there a facebook group for lecom seton hill class of 2014? I see one but it only has 5 members and there isn't a picture. I'd assume there would be one that is more established by now? Just wondering if there is another one out there maybe under a different name that I keep missing.

Thanks for all your help!

There is a general LECOM-Seton Hill fb page that the class of 2013 started and, from what i have seen, many 2014-ers have joined - so that maybe one to check out.

also, bump to what Voitokas said about books, you will need all your PBL books but hold off on the supplementary, you will soon find out what supplementary books work for you and chances are they are not on that list.

feel free to PM any questions about LECOM-Seton Hill

So excited to join this thread... got my acceptance today.

From searching the internet, it looks like finding a place to live near school may be more difficult for me given I have two small dogs... Anybody found anywhere that allows dogs or have suggestions where to look?

So excited to join this thread... got my acceptance today.

From searching the internet, it looks like finding a place to live near school may be more difficult for me given I have two small dogs... Anybody found anywhere that allows dogs or have suggestions where to look?

Congrats Whit. Another acceptee and I have the same problem, except we have big dogs. The closest places we have found, that allow large dogs, are in Moneroeville (~30 mins from Greensburg)...but I think there are a few closer places that allow small dogs (< 20 lbs). Dont expect any help from the future packet you'll receive from LECOM for finding housing...it lists 1 place in Greensburg that doesnt allow pets. Iv been using Hotpads.com to find potential places, you might give it a shot.

Congrats Whit. Another acceptee and I have the same problem, except we have big dogs. The closest places we have found, that allow large dogs, are in Moneroeville (~30 mins from Greensburg)...but I think there are a few closer places that allow small dogs (< 20 lbs). Dont expect any help from the future packet you'll receive from LECOM for finding housing...it lists 1 place in Greensburg that doesnt allow pets. Iv been using Hotpads.com to find potential places, you might give it a shot.

Yeah the challenges of having pets... I've read that some people are commuting from Pittsburgh... Anybody have any insights on that? I feel like I would end up wasting a lot of time and putting a lot of miles of my car... But maybe the only option I guess.

Yeah the challenges of having pets... I've read that some people are commuting from Pittsburgh... Anybody have any insights on that? I feel like I would end up wasting a lot of time and putting a lot of miles of my car... But maybe the only option I guess.
You might be able to find a house to rent in Greensburg that allows you to keep your dog there. If it's an extra $150-200 per month more than an apartment in Monroeville, that is how much you would be spending in gas on your commute (at least). Plus, that's 8-10 hours a week you'd be saving - a whole extra day's worth of studying, and correspondingly better grades (or simply that much more free time, if you have perfected your study habits already), and you can put your own price on that. So you might find it worthwhile to look into houses to rent in Greensburg at a higher price range.
:)

You might be able to find a house to rent in Greensburg that allows you to keep your dog there. If it's an extra $150-200 per month more than an apartment in Monroeville, that is how much you would be spending in gas on your commute (at least). Plus, that's 8-10 hours a week you'd be saving - a whole extra day's worth of studying, and correspondingly better grades (or simply that much more free time, if you have perfected your study habits already), and you can put your own price on that. So you might find it worthwhile to look into houses to rent in Greensburg at a higher price range.
:)

Thanks voitokas... thats definitely something worth looking into... I'm planning on coming out to tour the campus in early April, will that be early enough to look for a place to live as well?

Thanks voitokas... thats definitely something worth looking into... I'm planning on coming out to tour the campus in early April, will that be early enough to look for a place to live as well
Certainly - just make sure to give yourself enough time to look at places. There's a lot of chaff to winnow out! I only looked at a few dozen places in Greensburg before settling on an apartment in Monroeville - I wish now that I had looked at more expensive places in town. Greensburg's apartments are way overpriced, but it would be worth it to me to be closer. I pay $580 for my very comfortable apartment in Monroeville, utilities included; but I would, knowing what I do now, pay $900 for the same apartment in Greensburg.

Good luck apartment hunting!

WhitJord85 and whoever else may be concerned,

I am a 2014 too. My wife and I have a big dog and had to move early because our house sold quickly. We looked all over Greensburg and the surrounding cities but these areas have nothing for renters with pets. Monroeville is better for my wife. The city splits our commute. Hers is 30 miles on the turnpike and mine is 20 miles on 22 and the turnpike. It takes roughly 35 minutes to get to school.

I live about a mile away from Voitokas at Belmont Ridge apartments. We have been here for 2 months and like it so far. Hopefully, other students will move here and then we can carpool. Rent is in the upper $600 range because of the pet policy but the apartments are nice. Target and the grocery store are just up the hill about a minute away. Everything that I need is close by so the location is great.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

WhitJord85 and whoever else may be concerned,

I am a 2014 too. My wife and I have a big dog and had to move early because our house sold quickly. We looked all over Greensburg and the surrounding cities but these areas have nothing for renters with pets. Monroeville is better for my wife. The city splits our commute. Hers is 30 miles on the turnpike and mine is 20 miles on 22 and the turnpike. It takes roughly 35 minutes to get to school.

I live about a mile away from Voitokas at Belmont Ridge apartments. We have been here for 2 months and like it so far. Hopefully, other students will move here and then we can carpool. Rent is in the upper $600 range because of the pet policy but the apartments are nice. Target and the grocery store are just up the hill about a minute away. Everything that I need is close by so the location is great.

Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Thanks! I will most definitely take a look at that. Looks there maybe quite a few of us in the pet situation so carpooling would be a great idea!

i commute from the outskirts of pittsburgh and there are definitely days that the 35 min drive gets old, but it is a nice chance to decompress from the day - plus you are going opposite of traffic. Also, being that there are a bunch of people who live in Monroeville car pooling is do-able - even more so if more people move there.

As for animal friendly places, there is a place in Irwin that you can have a dog - i dont know about size and i am totally blanking on the name right now. Although i think your best bets maybe murrysville, plum, and monroeville.

Does anyone know when class starts this summer at Seton Hill. I have received no email regarding this.

I am about 90% sure 1st years will start 26th of July. Second Years come back the 2nd of August.

how come i didnt get an email about the starting date? is this still unofficial or was i left out in the email?

The school hasn't released the schedules for the fall. They will send you more information regarding orientation in the summer. They have started the last week in July for awhile now. The Saturday before the first day of school is to fill out paperwork you haven't turned in yet.

First page of matriculation packet says:
"Registration for Class of 2014 will be held on Saturday July 24, 2010.
Orientation and the start of classes will begin on Monday, July 26.
Attendance is mandatory for registration and orientation.
Specific information regarding orientation and the schedule of classes will be forwarded to you separately."

I've got until 4/5 to send SH my 1500 bucks to hold my spot in class. I'm trying to work out some of the logistics. Anyone who can answer some of my questions or give me insight please post away.

My plan, to live in Pittsburg (south side) and commute to class---yeah, i checked it's only 25-30miles on the highway, plus at interv day they said PBL required only 2 hours/day 3days/week to meet on campus. So, is this true? Could I possibly only have to commute 3 dys/week, do u have to take other classess in addition to pbl and, if so, when/how often do they meet. What's a realistic expectation of the amount of time I'd be *required* to show up on campus? My study style is highly indep, in undergrad I came only on test days and I want to do the same in med school, so this mandatory attend (let alone corporate dress code bs) is really not appealing to me.

Also, in terms of making that commute in winter, I live in Calif and have zero exper. w/snow driving, so might the whole idea of doing a 30 mile commute in Penn wintertime be totally insane???--really I have no clue about this stuff. Also, how is the student mentality, eg is it competive or are people really good about sharing files/notes and forming study groups? I'm not the slightest bit competitive and want to be surrounded by same.

Also, in 3rd year rotations, can you do all of them in the same area, say the Pittsb area, my goal is to move once for med school and stay there the whole 3, if not 4, years.

Anything else you all want to tell me I'd be more than happy to hear it, also I dont know how the whole PM thing works but u can email me at eniloracm at hotmail Thanks!! C

I've got until 4/5 to send SH my 1500 bucks to hold my spot in class. I'm trying to work out some of the logistics. Anyone who can answer some of my questions or give me insight please post away.

My plan, to live in Pittsburg (south side) and commute to class---yeah, i checked it's only 25-30miles on the highway, plus at interv day they said PBL required only 2 hours/day 3days/week to meet on campus. So, is this true? Could I possibly only have to commute 3 dys/week, do u have to take other classess in addition to pbl and, if so, when/how often do they meet. What's a realistic expectation of the amount of time I'd be *required* to show up on campus? My study style is highly indep, in undergrad I came only on test days and I want to do the same in med school, so this mandatory attend (let alone corporate dress code bs) is really not appealing to me.

Also, in terms of making that commute in winter, I live in Calif and have zero exper. w/snow driving, so might the whole idea of doing a 30 mile commute in Penn wintertime be totally insane???--really I have no clue about this stuff. Also, how is the student mentality, eg is it competive or are people really good about sharing files/notes and forming study groups? I'm not the slightest bit competitive and want to be surrounded by same.

Also, in 3rd year rotations, can you do all of them in the same area, say the Pittsb area, my goal is to move once for med school and stay there the whole 3, if not 4, years.

Anything else you all want to tell me I'd be more than happy to hear it, also I dont know how the whole PM thing works but u can email me at eniloracm at hotmail Thanks!! C

I will try to answer some of ur questions that best I can. As for living in Pittsburgh I cant help you there cause I like in South Greensburg. There are a handful of students that do commute from Pittsburgh. I do know from experience though that Pittsburgh traffic can be really bad at different times during the day: like the morning starting at 7AM and in the afternoon about 5ish and after. During these times it took me TWICE as long to get to where I was going (of course I didnt know the backroads...that may have helped). So you will have to plan accordingly based on what time you have PBL.

As for required time in classes. All classes and lectures are required...they scan ur ID to make sure you come. So dont miss. You are correct about PBL 2hrs per session/ 3 times a week. However, you also have little one credit classes they put in throughout the semester in which they may have you stay for an hour or two. Like a few weeks ago we had a microbiology lecture for about two hours on a friday. Also Tuesdays and Thursday will be ur busiest days. Right now we have OMM lecture on tuesdays and lab afterwords for 2 hours. The class is so big that they split us in two groups...so one week you may have to wait on campus for 2 hours before you have lab...but then it flips the next week and you have lab early. Thursdays we have H&P lecture for one or two hours...with a hour lab afterwards (this class is learning to use diagnostic equipment...stethoscope, BP cuff, so on). Same with the flipping schedule.
Snow...yeah it sucks, though I dont know how it affects driving time from Pittsburgh.

As for groups and helping each other. I guess I dont really know. I study alone for the most part, but my PBL group sets up times for us to come together and study if we want. Also, after we finish the cases for the next exam ALL PBL groups are given a list of common learning issues that we must know...meds, physical tests, blood tests, urine tests, and so on. Most of the time to keep the work down my PBL group splits up the common learning issues and we send each of our parts to one person to compile and send out the the group. I know there are a bunch of study groups that people put together...I just study better alone. There are going to be competitive people in every class...just find the people that study like you and you will be fine.

We have not learned much about rotations. But we do know that there will be quite a few spots in Pittsburgh...and it is possible but not guaranteed to do most if not all rotations in Pittsburgh. We will have to let you know when we find out more.

Wow that was alot...but I hope it helped and I hope other LECOMers will post a reply as well.

Last edited:
I've got until 4/5 to send SH my 1500 bucks to hold my spot in class. I'm trying to work out some of the logistics. Anyone who can answer some of my questions or give me insight please post away... My plan, to live in Pittsburgh (south side) and commute to class---yeah, i checked it's only 25-30miles on the highway, plus at interv day they said PBL required only 2 hours/day 3days/week to meet on campus. So, is this true? Could I possibly only have to commute 3 dys/week, do u have to take other classess in addition to pbl and, if so, when/how often do they meet. What's a realistic expectation of the amount of time I'd be *required* to show up on campus? My study style is highly indep, in undergrad I came only on test days and I want to do the same in med school, so this mandatory attend (let alone corporate dress code bs) is really not appealing to me.
PBL is MWF, and you have OMM on Tuesdays and H&P on Thursdays - attendance is definitely required, and they will give you crap and threaten not to promote you if you miss too many classes or the wrong lectures. So it's five days of commuting. That said, it is do-able, and people in our class do it (mostly people who already lived in Pittsburgh). I think that for someone coming from a place like SF, Pittsburgh would feel much more civilized than Greensburg. The disadvantage to commuting besides the driving time (~45 min) and expense is that you miss out on some of the social stuff and study groups; this may or may not be important to you.

- The winter is not bad here, but you might find it a bit tiring if you're not used to it. We have a few students from CA and FL over on the facebook page, so you might ask them how they have found it.
- The students here, in our class, at least, are very nice. They are non competitive, very up for note-sharing, study groups, and helping each other in general. The few that I've met from the incoming class fit that description as well. You would be very pleased in that respect.

We don't yet know how that will be. I think that the school itself doesn't know, really. You cannot count on doing them all in Pittsburgh. Probably all in Erie or Greensburg, and certainly all in Western PA... But really, we don't know yet.

You should choose the school that you think will let you become the best doctor you can. That is absolutely more important than price (I am now convinced), so if tuition is what's pulling you here vs. another school, then you might want to take a step back.

You should choose the school that you think will let you become the best doctor you can. That is absolutely more important than price (I am now convinced), so if tuition is what's pulling you here vs. another school, then you might want to take a step back.

Agreed

wow, thanks for all of that, esp the last part about price vs. fit of a particular school. I got an acceptance from DMU today, which on interview day seemed like a really great school---but, for me, the MAJOR drawback is it being in f**king Des Moines, IA. However, they dont have an attendance policy or dress code, then again, they dont have PBL either! Thanks to everyone for your helpful posts! I still have a lot of thinking to do!!
C

so i know RN-MD you kinda got your answers and i am jumping in at the end but here i go anyways - and this is geared to your commuting...

I commuted from the friendship neighborhood in pittsburgh for a few months then i moved 7 miles outside the city of pittsburgh. It takes me on a good day 35-40 mins with NO traffic.... in bad weather it sucks, and i have been the only person to miss class because my street was not plowed in my pbl group... Commuting from Southside will take you an 1 hour - if you are lucky 45-50 mins.... i DO NOT recommend it.

Also, Southside has one of the highest rents in town - and you do not get a lot - trust me the drunks at 3 am on thurs/fri/sat shouting outside your window and puking on your doorstep (i have had many friends who lived down there so this is all true) will get old and FAST... add on top of it you have to go through the Squirrel Hill tunnel - which no matter what time of day it is is backed up either way because pittsburghers are afraid of tunnels (they have signs now telling you not to slow down and stop). Granted it is a super fun place to hang out especially in the summer, it just, imho, is not the right place to live to commute to GB everyday (and it will be everyday)- if you still want to be somewhat in the city (and if you come to LECOM - SH) move to Regent Square, right around the corner from SS.

Okay i think i made this long enough!! if you have any questions regarding neighborhoods or about the school please feel free to PM. :)

Hey guys, Im going to be in the class of 2014, Im strait out of undergrad and am 22. Does anyone know where i should look to live so i would have neighbors who are around my age and whatnot? Is there a certain place where undergrads and or younger med students tend to live? Im a stong beliver of working hard but also going out and having fun on the weekends every now and then. I dont want to live somewhere where i will drive my neighbors nuts on the weekends. Any suggestions??

Hey guys, Im going to be in the class of 2014, Im strait out of undergrad and am 22. Does anyone know where i should look to live so i would have neighbors who are around my age and whatnot? Is there a certain place where undergrads and or younger med students tend to live? Im a stong beliver of working hard but also going out and having fun on the weekends every now and then. I dont want to live somewhere where i will drive my neighbors nuts on the weekends. Any suggestions??

The interesting part about Greensburg is that they have an ordinance in which only a certain number of undergrads can live within a certain proximity of each other. So living close to undergrads may be a little more difficult. Check out the LECOM-Seton Hill facebook page there is a discussion forum about housing and where to live.

Congrats on ur acceptance! :D

Thanks, im very excited for this fall! Have you herd anything about the lofts for $600/ month that apparently are giving preference to LECOM students?

Hi everyone, just wondering:
I'm moving to SH from California in July, do I have to change my license plates/ registration/license and everything??! Especially if it's only for 2 years (and hopefully I can go all over the country for clinicals :)
thanks!
:xf:

Hi everyone, just wondering:
I'm moving to SH from California in July, do I have to change my license plates/ registration/license and everything??! Especially if it's only for 2 years (and hopefully I can go all over the country for clinicals :)
thanks!
If you can use your parents as a permanent address, then you can keep your car registered and insured there. Otherwise, the law gives you only a couple of months before you're supposed to change your residence. You may find that PA is cheaper than CA in any case, though.

Changing all of this is a real pain. PA is strict. Try to keep your CA license and registration if you can. If you decide to change make sure you check out PA websites to find out what paperwork is needed.

For the license you will need your SS card, passport, proof of insurance, lease agreement and a bill.

For registration you will have to have your title and insurance to get a plate and pass a lengthy inspection (full vehicle).

We moved here in January and converted over our Civic but my old Jeep was never going to pass. Like I said it is a pain.

Congrats to all the incoming first years. You guys should def check out the LECOM-SH fb group (you have a better chance to get your questions answered on the fb main group rather than the one for the 2014 class as it has more members).

When I was touring LECOM Erie they showed us a part of the building where they have research projects. Is there anything like that in SH?