LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, I was recently admitted to LECOM. I have a question regarding the background check:

Do we have to go to separate places for the drug screen and alcohol screen? I was under the impression that the urine drug screen would cover it all, but then I received my acceptance letter yesterday and it said that I need to have an alcohol screening test administered by my physician.

What do you guys think?
My background check covered it, then I just got physical, blood work, and ppd test at the Dr. Office.

Members don't see this ad.

I was just offered a seat to LECOM-Erie. I never interviewed there, but was pulled off the Bradenton waitlist. I was wondering if anyone can give me any input on how the campus is like there? Also how the faculty is like? Is there anything you do not like about the school (I do not have a problem with the school attire or the food/water policy)? Also how is the area (Erie i mean)? What is there to do outside of school?

More over I was offered a PBL seat. When I interviewed at Bradenton, I loved the idea of PBL. I do not have a problem with independent studying. However, since I have never done PBL I was wondering if someone who is doing PBL can point out what are some negatives about PBL? I am asking for negatives as I have already witnessed the positives when I went for the interview. Is there anything about PBL that was difficult to adjust to? Is it difficult to determine what to study, such as what are extraneous details versus what is important since there is no guidance from a professor.

Since I have only one day to make a decision, I will be grateful for any insight that can be provided about the school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The only thing that I know that is different between Erie's and Fl's PBL is that Erie PBL students do not have access to cadavers for anatomy - it's all on the computer. Which could be a bad or good thing depending on how you look at it. I don't know much else since I'm ISP that hasn't even started yet, and I have never been down to Bradenton.

Hi all. At this late date, where would be the best bet for housing relatively close to LECOM?

Hi all. At this late date, where would be the best bet for housing relatively close to LECOM?
I'd say Craigslist would be your best bet for finding a rental without having to go on a waitlist.

Hide yo kids, there is a house that says For Rent - Students a few blocks from LECOM right off of Zuck on Grandview.

Would you happen to know the address? Thanks so much for the information. I need something ASAP.

No, but if you take a right out of the LECOM parking lot it's right down the street. Looks like a beautiful house/property.

does LECOM have a computer lab with free printing? Just wondering if i need to bring my printer

hi everyone.
I was wondering if anyone could give me feedback or advice about whether or not I should apply to this school.

I have been complete since july 8th. But, my mcat scores just came in. I got a 23 (9/4/10) and have a 3.3 s/cGPA.

I really want to go to this school because of their PBL program. However, I don't know if I can even get an interview because of my mcat. If anyone can shine a light or advise me of whether or not I should apply, please let me know. Also, if my stats aren't too impossible, am I too late to in the application cycle?

Thanks

I've been doing a little research on LECOM-B since I live in Florida and have a question regarding 3rd/4th year at the school.

From what I've read you go through standard rotations similar to allo, is this the case?

I recall reading something about having to essentially arrange your own rotations because LECOM-B isn't attached to a teaching hospital. How difficult is that? For example, if someone is an average performer and lacks connections in the area would they find it difficult to explore a wide range of rotations?

Thanks for any answers you can provide.

Hello fellow applicants!

I applied to both Erie and Brandenton in November. The message I received from Erie was that " we are interested in you but you have applied too late in the application cycle "

At that time Bradenton was still considering me.

Now after a few weeks I checked and both schools are considering me but for the 2012-2013 school year, I have not even applied for next year.

Did anyone have this happen to them or can anyone comment on this? Will greatly appreciate the input.