LECOM-Erie Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, let me ask again then, is the COA for the school accurate? It says 54K on their website, or should I expect (single student) expect to have to spend more in my first year?

definitely one of my top choices good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Posted in other forum. It was duplicate.

LECOM Seton Hill is my first choice school. I am really excited about PBL and the fact that Seton Hill is close enough to my current home to commute. :)

Some things that really surprised me about LECOM's app:

1) No essays this year. According to last year's thread they had two essays. I am NOT complaining, though! ;)

2) The DO letter is not required to be submitted until after you are offered acceptance. Seems strange since generally LORs are used for the purpose of evaluating a candidate. If you have already been offered admission it was not used for evaluation. The only thing I can figure is that they just want to be sure you have been exposed to osteopathic medicine before you start school. Not complaining about this because I am still in the process of getting the DO letter and, thankfully, that won't tie up my app from being reviewed.

LECOM Seton Hill is my first choice school. I am really excited about PBL and the fact that Seton Hill is close enough to my current home to commute. :)

Some things that really surprised me about LECOM's app:

1) No essays this year. According to last year's thread they had two essays. I am NOT complaining, though! ;)

2) The DO letter is not required to be submitted until after you are offered acceptance. Seems strange since generally LORs are used for the purpose of evaluating a candidate. If you have already been offered admission it was not used for evaluation. The only thing I can figure is that they just want to be sure you have been exposed to osteopathic medicine before you start school. Not complaining about this because I am still in the process of getting the DO letter and, thankfully, that won't tie up my app from being reviewed.
How long it took to get secondary?
My application is released to them on 6/18 but no secondary yet.

thanks

thanks

My AACOMAS release date to LECOM was 6/6. I received the secondary on 6/10 and submitted it on the same day. LECOM processed it and marked it as under review on 6/15.

I have read through all 30-something pages of last year's thread. Can someone give us (me) an update about what you think of the ISP track?

Thanks a bunch!

Anyone else visiting the campus for its open house on Friday?

thanks

Mine was released 6/17 and I haven't received anything yet, I'm sure they just download it on certain days and have just dloaded it.

Just in case someone was not sure, LECOM-Erie doesn't send out secondaries without an MCAT score. I'm on Hold pending a score.

Just in case someone was not sure, LECOM-Erie doesn't send out secondaries without an MCAT score. I'm on Hold pending a score.

does this also apply if you already have 1 score but have a second score pending?

Members don't see this ad :)
Visited the campus today for the open house, very impressed with the facilities.

I have read through all 30-something pages of last year's thread. Can someone give us (me) an update about what you think of the ISP track?

Thanks a bunch!

As the name infers, ISP=Independent Study pathway, is for students with an extensive academic background or at the very least a very self motivating personality.

The exact details from the schools website is:

http://www.lecom.edu/college_medicine.php/independent-study-pathway/76/0/2018/7360

Good luck to everyone!!! Applying early IS the first step towards acceptance.

does this also apply if you already have 1 score but have a second score pending?

Depends if you released that score to AACOMAS!!! AMCAS automatically gets that MCAT score but you have to release the score to AACOMAS.

Also if you told the colleges in your application that you are waiting on a score, they may wish to wait on that score before making a decision.

What was your original score and why are you retaking it?

Thanks JRod, I guess I was looking for some personal anecdotes/opinions on the ISP program, specifically.

I've spent some time on the website and browsing here, just curious what current students think of the program/curriculum, etc.

Thanks for your help! :)

Last edited:
Thanks JRod, I guess I was looking for some personal anecdotes/opinions on the ISP program, specifically.

I've spent some time on the website and browsing here, just curious what current students think of the program/curriculum, etc.

Thanks for your help! :)

I start in one month and I am PBL! I am under the impression that ISP has the most freedom over the other pathways but to what degree would require the insight from an actual student or professor.

Depends if you released that score to AACOMAS!!! AMCAS automatically gets that MCAT score but you have to release the score to AACOMAS.

Also if you told the colleges in your application that you are waiting on a score, they may wish to wait on that score before making a decision.

What was your original score and why are you retaking it?

yep, i've released my score to AACOMAS. the first time i took the exam i got an above average but sub 30 score even though my average was 30+. that's why i've decided to retake. really hoping to still receive a secondary from LECOM before Aug. 10 (the date my new score will be released).

Did anyone else get a recruitment email after already submitting the secondary?

I wish it was.....it basically listed a bunch of advantages to attending LECOM and encouraged to apply to both campuses. I just found it odd that they would encourage me to apply after I had.

I wish it was.....it basically listed a bunch of advantages to attending LECOM and encouraged to apply to both campuses. I just found it odd that they would encourage me to apply after I had.

I have since received the same email. Apparently several schools are sending them out now. I got one from the U of Illinois MD/PhD program based on MCAT score.

They're just trying to get our hopes up!

I think they are just trying to get more secondary applications submitted for the $$$$. It's not like they really need to recruit, they get thousands of applications every cycle.

WOW CONGRATS! that's really really fast. did u find out via email?

Thanks! I haven't received any email about it yet. I have just been checking the status page obsessively and noticed it on there this afternoon. LOL I don't even know when the interview is yet. It looks from last year's thread that the status page changes first and shortly after that you get an email telling you when it is.

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Just checked my status page at work and my status in changed.....no email yet though.

Me too!!!! Interview invite!!!! I am so excited...although without the email I keep worrying that it is a mistake! I wonder when our interviews will be! Congrats everyone and I'll probably see you at the interview! Does anyone know how long after the interview they let you know about a decision?

Thanks!

Me too!!!! Interview invite!!!! I am so excited...although without the email I keep worrying that it is a mistake! I wonder when our interviews will be! Congrats everyone and I'll probably see you at the interview! Does anyone know how long after the interview they let you know about a decision?

Thanks!

Congrats to those who got interviews! Would you mind sharing when you're whole application was complete?

I got a call today for an interview invite and scheduled my interview! August 27th... The only other choice was August 23rd.

Im so excited! Woohoo! :) First invite, too bad its 2 months away!

My AACOMAS application was submitted June 1st, sent to the schools June 6th, and I finished the secondary June 18th. I still have not sent my LORs, so I was rather surprised at the interview invite! Everyone says that this school is surprisingly wonderful, can't wait!

By the way, they sent me the email a few hours after I scheduled the interview... So you guys should be getting it soon, its a ton of information!

Also, I think I posted in the wrong place... Haha it was for LECOM Brandenton...

Interview here toooooooooo. I love this schoolll

My status changed!...but it changed to this :(:

"The Admissions Committee requests your MCAT score. Please update AACOMAS and (or) email the official MCAT form to"

This sucks because my mcat score was released to aacomas back on May 13th. I just sent them an e-mail to see if there was a mess up somehow.

Anyone else have this status?

I am planning on retaking it in August so maybe this is the reason for my status?

Did you indicate on AACOMAS that you were retaking?

Yep I sure did. I'm feeling like they are saying that my application is on hold until I get the new score without actually saying that.

Does anyone know if we have to have all of our letters in by the interview (minus the D.O letter)?

My status changed!...but it changed to this :(:

"The Admissions Committee requests your MCAT score. Please update AACOMAS and (or) email the official MCAT form to"

This sucks because my mcat score was released to aacomas back on May 13th. I just sent them an e-mail to see if there was a mess up somehow.

Anyone else have this status?

I am planning on retaking it in August so maybe this is the reason for my status?
yep. that is the case.

Damn LECOM is fast! Except for the pre-secondary WVSOM rejection, these have been my only responses...

LECOM-B status says the committee has reached a decision and I'll get something in the mail. Translation: Bzzzt. No thanks.

LECOM-E status says an interview invite will be e-mailed soon. Huzzah!

For those of you receiving interview invites, have you submitted any LORs yet? Also, when was your supplemental application submitted and processed?

For those of you receiving interview invites, have you submitted any LORs yet? Also, when was your supplemental application submitted and processed?

Nope, I have not sent my LORs yet, I will be doing this in a few weeks at the latest however.

My application was submitted to AACOMAS on June 1st, sent to the schools on June 6th and my secondary was submitted on June 18th. Interview scheduled June 29th.

This is my status.
**Congratulations you have been selected for an interview at LECOM Erie. You will receive an email 10 days prior to your scheduled interview to confirm your attendance.

No email or call yet. Does anyone know how many interview invites they send out?

This is my status.
**Congratulations you have been selected for an interview at LECOM Erie. You will receive an email 10 days prior to your scheduled interview to confirm your attendance.

No email or call yet. Does anyone know how many interview invites they send out?

I'm not sure how many they will send out. They will call you probably today or tomorrow to set the date. You have two choices, and they are both about 2 months from now!

If the cycle is the same this year as it was last year, the ADCOM meets on Wednesdays and letters are sent out Thursday or Friday, after the provost signs them. So, for those that have interview requests, try to take the Monday interiew so they make a decision on Wednesday, but even if you interview on Thursday or Friday, it is only 1 more weekend you have to wait. You've waited 22 or more years for the day, so just relax and answer the interviewers questions honestly and thoughtfully and let them know WHY you deserve to be in the Class of 2015. They interview hundreds of people, so really let them know why LECOM needs you and what you can bring to LECOM and your fellow classmates. Good Luck to all those applying this cycle.

Nope, they don't have any of my LORs yet. My AACOMAS release date was 6/6, received and completed supplemental on 6/10, marked as under review on 6/15, interview invite (on status page) 6/29. Pretty quick!:thumbup:

Nope, they don't have any of my LORs yet. My AACOMAS release date was 6/6, received and completed supplemental on 6/10, marked as under review on 6/15, interview invite (on status page) 6/29. Pretty quick!:thumbup:

Thanks Pitt,

I am on the same timeline as you, but still "Under Review". Hopefully I get an invite. I am quite interested in LECOM.