LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody know how fast the wl is moving?
well not fast enough...it seems that there are no spots open since malalaurka gave up her spot Friday afternoon and opie got a call that day. Looks like we just need to wait for more people to give up their seats. :(

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, it certainly does not appear to be moving. I just hope that there is movement soon because the waiting game is no fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd imagine we would just look at the atlases and decided individually which one would work best. At least that's what I'm gonna do. I think the atlases are different. I would want one that has actual dissections for pics rather than pics of pristine organs, muscles, etc

Hey, this is a question for current PBL students at LECOM. Are there any books that they tell us to buy that we really do not need to?

Should one assume that if you have not received an email with the pre-admissions packet that you will not be pulled from the wait list? Does anyone have any idea how much LECOM has used their wait list in the past?
Some days are easier than others. Today the wait game is not so easy.

I remember Dr. Moore saying that about 30 people were pulled from the waitlist last year, which was more than usual. He also said the year before that the number of students pulled was "much less". So this probably doesn't give you a better idea of what's going to happen but he said there was no way of knowing.
As of right now, it seems that not a lot are being pulled but it's getting close to crunch time and I imagine you'll have a pretty good idea by the end of the month.
Good luck.

I remember Dr. Moore saying that about 30 people were pulled from the waitlist last year, which was more than usual. He also said the year before that the number of students pulled was "much less". So this probably doesn't give you a better idea of what's going to happen but he said there was no way of knowing.
As of right now, it seems that not a lot are being pulled but it's getting close to crunch time and I imagine you'll have a pretty good idea by the end of the month.
Good luck.
Thanks for the information. Does anyone know if the wait list at Seton Hill is a long one. I was hoping that since it was a new program that we would see a fair amount of movement off of the wait list into the Seton Hill Campus. This may just be wishful thinking.

Hey Malalaurka, thanks for the spot. I got the call on friday, and will be seeing everyone soon. I am pumped!
I also just wanted to say congratulations to all that have been accepted. I have been reading on SDN for many years, and this is the first year that I have applied. As I sit on the wait list hoping and praying, I was wondering if anyone has any helpful hints that they think made a difference in their studying for the MCAT?

Should one assume that if you have not received an email with the pre-admissions packet that you will not be pulled from the wait list? Does anyone have any idea how much LECOM has used their wait list in the past?

medschl- I am in the same boat. I'm also on the waiting list and have not received an email from admissions. Getting nervous at this point...

If you don't mind my asking, when did you interview and what are your stats?

MCAT: 25
GPA: 3.6
Interview was at the end of March

medschl- I am in the same boat. I'm also on the waiting list and have not received an email from admissions. Getting nervous at this point...

If you don't mind my asking, when did you interview and what are your stats?

MCAT: 25
GPA: 3.6
Interview was at the end of March
Interviewed in January
MCAT 22
GPA 3.3
Wish it was better :( UUUUUGH...... physics!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed in January
MCAT 22
GPA 3.3

You can always try sending in a letter of intent or interest letting them know how much you appreciated the opportunity to interview, how much you loved the school, and most importantly how much you feel that you could be a success there.

Interviewed in January
MCAT 22
GPA 3.3

Dont give up.....keep pushing. Do whatever you can, without stalking of course, to show your passion and willingness to do anything. There is still a lot of time left. I have heard of people switching literally at the last minute.

I would not rule anything out. brainstorm and see what you come up with and go from there. Best of luck to you....I was in your spot last year and I had to wait. For me the wait was a blessing. I needed it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have actually done all of those things. I talk to Amy about once a week, I've sent letters of intent to the panel that interviewed me on two separate occasions.

I am trying to stay hopeful, but sometimes it's hard. If I don't get in, I'll be going to Kansas City for their biomedical science masters program.

I really hope to get into LECOM though. Any other waitlisters here anything this week?

keep up the hope, i had pretty much given up on the waitlist, but i just got in today! the whole thing feels unreal. now the search for apartments and cars begins...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have actually done all of those things. I talk to Amy about once a week, I've sent letters of intent to the panel that interviewed me on two separate occasions.

I am trying to stay hopeful, but sometimes it's hard. If I don't get in, I'll be going to Kansas City for their biomedical science masters program.

I really hope to get into LECOM though. Any other waitlisters here anything this week?
Kidnap the president and hold them for ransom till they give you a seat :p

Actually that might not be a very good idea.

keep up the hope, i had pretty much given up on the waitlist, but i just got in today! the whole thing feels unreal. now the search for apartments and cars begins...

bluelakes, did you first receive an email, or just a phone call?

Are there any girls who are still looking for a roommate? I'm planning a trip out to Erie to look for an apartment / house soon and would really like to live with some one / some other people. PM me if you're interested :)

Or if you have an open spot in your current place and would like to save me a trip, that would be even better :p hahaha

BMills - I received the email saying they might contact me soon on June 8th, and then got a call June 18th.

Eleven eleven - I can't decide whether I am going to live with a roommate or by myself, but I'm going to start looking for places too. When are you planning to go to Erie to find a place?

Are there still any people out there that have been accepted and are probably turning down their seat?

Don't give up hope on the wait list, I have had friends get in with two weeks until school starts.

If anyone is looking for a male roommate now, message me. I have started to look at some places in the area.

hey guys...

just to give u waitlisters some hope...

i have been accepted to seton hill..and I'm almost sure im not going to attend...soo just to let you know :)

BMills - I received the email saying they might contact me soon on June 8th, and then got a call June 18th.

Eleven eleven - I can't decide whether I am going to live with a roommate or by myself, but I'm going to start looking for places too. When are you planning to go to Erie to find a place?

Yeah, I was planning on living by myself up until about a week ago when I suddenly decided I might be too lonely (plus I'm in ISP so I figured I don't want to isolate myself toooo much haha). I'm not really sure when I will be going yet... there are a lot of family medical issues that have kept me from going earlier, so hopefully I will be able to make it out there soon.

Yeah, I was planning on living by myself up until about a week ago when I suddenly decided I might be too lonely (plus I'm in ISP so I figured I don't want to isolate myself toooo much haha). I'm not really sure when I will be going yet... there are a lot of family medical issues that have kept me from going earlier, so hopefully I will be able to make it out there soon.

Bah, you won't be lonely, you'll be thrilled not to live with a roommate after a while.

I was told that there was a first "cut" from the wait-list in early June, meaning the top of the wait-list was sent the e-mail to get the matriculation paper work together. I don't know if this means that those who were not sent the e-mail do not have a shot, but it did not sound good...:scared: Also, people will continue to be accepted through the 3rd week in July.

Hey - just thought i'd reply to a few of the posts i saw on this page. I'm a LECOM student class of 2010 - less than a year! yay!

Waitlisters - don't give up hope. People from my class said that they got accepted even as late as a day before class started. Which sounds crazy! But, i wouldn't give up hope yet.

Atlas - Netters is the atlas you will use. You can wait to buy it at LECOM when school starts. There's really no point in buying it early.

Another book I LOVED for anatomy was Board Review Series Anatomy. I mainly just used the questions - which were really helpful in preparing me for tests - ALL anatomists have themes and favorite questions and they are ALL in that book. Good luck guys! And ENJOY this summer!!

Yikes, I just noticed on the portal that LECOM supposedly hasn't received some of my documents, even though I sent them weeks and months ago. Has anyone else's not been updated?

Yikes, I just noticed on the portal that LECOM supposedly hasn't received some of my documents, even though I sent them weeks and months ago. Has anyone else's not been updated?

Don't worry about it. My portal says they still haven't received my insurance forms even though I have my BC/BS of PA insurance card in my wallet from the school.

Hello guys, I was just reading the 2010-CIB for LECOM and it stated "Cumulative GPA of 3.4" does that mean that's the minimum requirement? mine is slightly lower than that... should i even bother?

Hello guys, I was just reading the 2010-CIB for LECOM and it stated "Cumulative GPA of 3.4" does that mean that's the minimum requirement? mine is slightly lower than that... should i even bother?

Don't worry about it. If that's the minimum requirement then I have no clue how I was accepted. My gpa when I applied was around a 3.0 and it will go up after retakes are figured in.

I called and they told me it was a misprint/mistake; don't worry about it.

To anhy of you NEW ERIEITES coming to town and are unfamiliar with the snow that are also looking for a car, I think I just scored a really good deal........got a 2009 Suzuki SX4 Crossover that is All Wheel Drive with Navigation with $0.00 down for $221.00 per month. It is a long term, but who cares. It is new, under warranty and they have service loaners if it is in the shop for any reason. The all wheel drive will help in the Erie snow....Never owned a Suzuki before, but the SX4 got great reviews in Consumer Reports.

I have nothing to do with the dealer or am not getting anything from them for mentioning this but just wanted to pass on what I thougth was a good deal and someone mentioned something about looking for a car. If anyone is intersted, PM me and I will give you the name of the dealer.

If there is anyone who still needs a place to live you should try Landmark Square. I just signed a lease there. The ladies in the office are awesome and the apartments are way nice. They allow dogs if they are under 35 lbs which was big for me. Anyway, just wanted to share the info in case anyone needed it. PM me if you need more info, etc.

I just withdrew from the Seton Hill Class, now you can all fight over the spot :D. GO!

Keep your head up waitlist people, the spots will come! If not, don't be deterred - If you have gotten this far (an interview) you are worthy of a spot and you will get one. If not this year, then next year, or the year after - if you want it bad enough you will get it. Don't forget that.

Good luck!

You can always try sending in a letter of intent or interest letting them know how much you appreciated the opportunity to interview, how much you loved the school, and most importantly how much you feel that you could be a success there.
I am sending my letter today. As with every body else. I want in soooo bad. I dred taking the MCAT again and going through the application process. It really plays with your emotions and confidence.
Thanks for the advice.

Dont give up.....keep pushing. Do whatever you can, without stalking of course, to show your passion and willingness to do anything. There is still a lot of time left. I have heard of people switching literally at the last minute.

I would not rule anything out. brainstorm and see what you come up with and go from there. Best of luck to you....I was in your spot last year and I had to wait. For me the wait was a blessing. I needed it.
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have taken out the books and will begin studying this evening. I am a sales rep and this is the worse economy to sell in. I was praying to be saved!!!! I strongly dislike my job, but it may be that I need to be appreciative to have it if I don't get off the list.
It is so hard to study and work full time with a family. It literally makes me a basket case. I sneak and study when I should be working, it becomes a horrible stressfull cycle. But...... hey back in the saddle I go.:eek:

Yeah...... Hope is good! I'm certain that you are now going to your first choice, so congratualtions also.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I have taken out the books and will begin studying this evening. I am a sales rep and this is the worse economy to sell in. I was praying to be saved!!!! I strongly dislike my job, but it may be that I need to be appreciative to have it if I don't get off the list.
It is so hard to study and work full time with a family. It literally makes me a basket case. I sneak and study when I should be working, it becomes a horrible stressfull cycle. But...... hey back in the saddle I go.:eek:

You've got what it takes, no question about it bud. That's the kind of desire that makes a great physician. Just keep your head up and be persistent and you will get there!

for people who are there and/or familiar with the erie area, how important is it to have a four-wheel drive car? is front wheel drive sufficient or risking it in the notorious snow?

BMills,

It's great to hear you have a plan B. I think that we will see alot of movement beginning now. I think some other osteopathic schools started this week. I think Michigan began today. We have until Aug. 3 before we truly give up. The first week of class, I believe will really jump, since those that didn't give notification will just not show, opening seats in all the pathways. These are the things that I keep telling myself.
How ever do you get in touch with Amy?

for people who are there and/or familiar with the erie area, how important is it to have a four-wheel drive car? is front wheel drive sufficient or risking it in the notorious snow?

You should PM punkiedad. He lives in Erie and I know in either this thread or in the LECOM-E Class of 2013 page on the Osteopathic forum he wrote how he just got a really good deal on a Suzuki 4WD. I have a front wheel drive 5 speed manual Honda that gets around in the snow all right as long as I'm not going up steep hills.