LECOM - Erie Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

No love for LECOM-Erie? The Bradenton thread already has two pages!

did anyone get this message when trying to submit their LECOM-Erie secondary?

"There was a problem with the submission of your application. An e-mail will be sent with a troubleshooting suggestion. If that does not help, please contact the LECOM Information Systems Department at 814-866-8139. Thank you."

I did what they suggested in the email, but I get the same message!

i'm a fan! :) although, i have to admit, something about florida and pbl gives lecom-b the edge for me.

i would call the office on monday. i had trouble submitting my application as well, they are using a new system, and there are a few things that have not yet been worked out. i know it's frustrating to be ready to submit an application on the weekend and then have to wait for the next weekday when you have a question or an issue. good thing it's still pretty early! good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
it is extremely frustrating, but i guess i'll have to suck it up and wait!

edit: reading up on some of the negative comments on the old threads has made me a little apprehensive though

LECOM is definitely on my list. Hell, I can deal with Erie (and its snow)! Hope I get an interview.

oh yea, definitely. coming from chicago, i'm okay with the cold and the snow. i didn't apply to a single school that i would not be honored to attend. LECOM-E was the second application i submitted, and i am praying for a chance to interview :luck:

I haven't received the information for the secondary application. I submitted my application to AACOMAS about 2 weeks ago, maybe a little longer. Has anyone else had this problem? How long after you submitted your app did you receive the secondary information? Thanks so much!!

I haven't received the information for the secondary application. I submitted my application to AACOMAS about 2 weeks ago, maybe a little longer. Has anyone else had this problem? How long after you submitted your app did you receive the secondary information? Thanks so much!!

You only submitted two weeks ago? when i submitted in early june it took 4 weeks to be verified, so it may take even longer than that now. At the 4 week point, LECOM sent me an email saying they had received my application. That email said i would receive a secondary in a 2-3 more weeks. So, be patient, you have a ways to wait!

I submitted the application for LECOM the other day and then they declined my credit card, the same one i have been using for every secondary. I called and they just told me to send a check. Kind of irritating, but whatever.

Anyone know how LECOM PA is about acepting OOS ? Pleaaaasssee !!! I"m thinking of applying there but would love to know this before I do ... thanks

You only submitted two weeks ago? when i submitted in early june it took 4 weeks to be verified, so it may take even longer than that now. At the 4 week point, LECOM sent me an email saying they had received my application. That email said i would receive a secondary in a 2-3 more weeks. So, be patient, you have a ways to wait!

I submitted the application for LECOM the other day and then they declined my credit card, the same one i have been using for every secondary. I called and they just told me to send a check. Kind of irritating, but whatever.

I sure did wait until the end of July to submit. I hadn't decided which schools to apply to, so I thought it would be best to wait until I had decided. Also, I had a few things I did this summer that I wanted on my application.

You said at the 4 week point LECOM sent your an email, so was that 4 weeks after you had been verified, or was that in the 4 weeks it took for verification?

I sure did wait until the end of July to submit. I hadn't decided which schools to apply to, so I thought it would be best to wait until I had decided. Also, I had a few things I did this summer that I wanted on my application.

You said at the 4 week point LECOM sent your an email, so was that 4 weeks after you had been verified, or was that in the 4 weeks it took for verification?

He means they sent the email right when he was verified, which was 4 weeks after submission.

Good! I was gonna cry if I had to wait 8 weeks. Okay, maybe not cry, but I wouldn't have been a happy camper.

Members don't see this ad :)

sorry, i didn't mean for my question "so you only submitted two weeks ago?" to sound like i was giving you **** for only submiting two weeks ago. Hopefuly that didn't sound like i was attacking you or something. I worded it kind of poorly...my bad.

Choco got it right, I was verified at 4 weeks, and thats when I got my LECOM email.

You should be getting yours within 2 weeks.

For those choosing LECOM, why have you selected LECOM over other schools? Sincere question, my AACOMAS is about to go in. :D

For those choosing LECOM, why have you selected LECOM over other schools? Sincere question, my AACOMAS is about to go in. :D

Curricular options are very nice (PBL, Independent Study, Lecture Discussion). Primary care people will be in heaven, with a possible year gained via the 3 year PC Pathway.

does anyone know if there's a way to check if you're complete?

Curricular options are very nice (PBL, Independent Study, Lecture Discussion). Primary care people will be in heaven, with a possible year gained via the 3 year PC Pathway.

Thats what it sounds like, they cram med school into 3 years and then you go into FM?

Thats what it sounds like, they cram med school into 3 years and then you go into FM?

They take away your MS-1 summer and you only do 16 instead of 24 MS-3/4 rotations. Then you're free to go into Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Pediatrics, Gerontology, or OB-GYN. If you decide to go a different route, you owe them the year's tuition ($25K) that you saved. No hard feelings. Well, maybe a couple.

I have an interview at Erie on Friday. Is there any advice for how I should prepare for it? I have the 9 questions that Erie asks and the article and am just wondering if there is anything else. PS if there is anyone else with an interview that day let me know!

I have an interview at Erie on Friday. Is there any advice for how I should prepare for it? I have the 9 questions that Erie asks and the article and am just wondering if there is anything else. PS if there is anyone else with an interview that day let me know!

where'd you find the article?

what are the 9 questions that htey ask/what is this article you speak of?

do you think its a good idea to mention that I would like pbl in my essay to LECOM ERIE?

Does anyone know if LECOM-Erie allows re-scheduling interviews? I am highly interested in the school, but ironically LECOM-Erie scheduled me when I am traveling to LECOM-Bradenton.

Does anyone know if LECOM-Erie allows re-scheduling interviews? I am highly interested in the school, but ironically LECOM-Erie scheduled me when I am traveling to LECOM-Bradenton.

Well I'd say that's a pretty good excuse. I'm sure there's a way to reschedule.

I forgot the website but I copied the Questions. I also talked to a few people who have been through a LECOM interview and they said close to the same thing. I do know they make you read an article that they give at the interview (should have been more clear in my last post) and ask you about it. PS I have my interview tomorrow and will let you guys know if these are actually the questions or not.

• Tell us something not in your file

2. Talk about your healthcare experience.

3. Why medicine?

4. Why osteopathic medicine and how do you see it as being holistic and beneficial?

5. How do you handle stress?

6. Give an example of how your communication skills helped you / someone else?

7. Give 3 strengths and 1 weakness.

8. Talk about your leadership roles. How are you a leader and a team player?

9. Tell us about a conflict you had and how you resolved it.

10. Which pathway do you prefer and why?

how are you guys getting there? i'm from nyc and it's about a 7.5 hour drive. is there a better/faster way to go?

thanks!

Guys and Gals, does anyone know if both LECOMS will offer and interview even if the LORs have not made it to their destination yet but everything else is good? Any advise would be helpful.

I have an interview at both LECOMs, with my physician letter not yet received. However, they state in your interview letter that it needs to be there by the interview date.

Guys and Gals, does anyone know if both LECOMS will offer and interview even if the LORs have not made it to their destination yet but everything else is good? Any advise would be helpful.

I got my interview at LECOM-Erie without my LORs, but they do want the letters before the interview date.

A heads up to you guys that were involved in the weird system stuff. If you get an email saying that your payment didn't go through and to try again, check it. I was billed for both but was told that only Bradenton went through. I luckily had my bill beside me and checked before paying and had two charges. The lady that emailed me was very nice and it was cleared up in about 3 minutes via email. Never met a faster email responder before.

Hey everyone!
I just interviewed in Erie yesterday (8/18). I was impressed with everything there, and the interview format is different...however, it may be different come September.
If anyone has any questions about the school, curriculum, location, etc. feel free to ask me!:)

Maybe I'm being an idiot but .... I just received the secondary for LECOM. I logged onto their website, but even though there is a link for the Supp. App. there is only information regarding the letters of recommendation. I can't click anywhere to type the answers to the question or pay the fee .... And it says "There are currently no active applications in this portlet." on both Erie and Bradenton .... help?? I called Admissions, no one answered and the voicemail is full!

Quick question about the LECOM secondary:

For the qualities of a successful osteopathic physician essay question I highlighted one quality of mine I thought was important, wrote about why I believed it was important to a physician and gave examples of when I've exhibited it. After two paragraphs of this I am left with little room to address any other qualities. I did briefly include some in what I have written and am going to do the same in the conclusion but I haven't gone into any real depth with them. Haven't received the secondary yet, and am trying to complete the essays before I get them for a quick turn around so I'm assuming a 1 page limit.

Think this is a good idea? Or should I broadly discuss many. This seems to a common secondary question and I want to make sure I'm not giving them something completely wrong.

also not sure if this belongs here or the secondary app thread, but it seemed like the best place.

Try to highlight more than one quality and do it in a balanced way. I covered several and made sure they were all "matched" in amount of text I devoted to explaining them. Using examples is always good too. Remember those dumb little papers you wrote in college? Now is the time to break out your argument development and composition skills.

Sorry, I was a non-science major. If you need help, I edit. Let me know.

Ok. Thanks. I was debating what to do last night but am going to go with what you suggested.

My interview at LECOM is 9/18. How long does it typically take to find out whether or not you got accepted?

from my experience this past cycle, usually about 2 weeks.

anywhere from 1 week to 1 month. depending on what they told you at the interview, you may start calling admissions a week later (sometimes, they can tell you over the phone).

My interview at LECOM is 9/18. How long does it typically take to find out whether or not you got accepted?

It really depends on the school. I can tell you that last year, LECOM (both of them) met once a week to discuss the previous weeks interviews and they let you know right away. As long as you have everything in your file complete, you should hear from them within two weeks. Sometimes, you are able to call a little earlier, but I'm not sure how many phone calls they would like to be getting.

As for other schools, I had some that took up to 6 weeks or more. They usually tell you at interview time when you should expect to hear from them. It may change as the season moves on as well.

I went to an osteopathic awareness conference at Western, and they had a student panel. The girl siad she heard back in 4 days.....haha. Im sure thats not the norm, but still kind of a cool story. I've heard 2 weeks is pretty regular, but I wouldn't start freaking out if you havent heard anything by then, ive also heard it take over a month.

p.s. i just realied how much it sucks applying to a school that is not rolling admissions. Even if you interview in september you have to wait til like May or something to hear if you got in.......lame!

Will LECOM still accept you if you haven't met their English requirement?? I need 2 more hours. I plan to take an English class in the spring. :confused:

Thanks for all the help guys.. I'll be sure to post the questions that LECOM asks during my interview.