LECOM-Erie Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
[1] Dental insurance

Contact Diane V. Byrne (814-453-3633). She handles both Dental & general Health Insurance.
I don't know what it is for MS-1, but for MS-2 the dental insurance enrollment deadline is next week (July 17)

[2] Anatomy
for lab I found Rohen Color Atlas of Anatomy very useful (especially during Abdomen, pelvis, Head & Neck sections). This is b/c these areas are difficult to dissect completely, and often there are only a handful of cadavers with everything correctly exposed. So there is traffic during review time.
Rohan atlas was a big help when I couldn't find something on a cadaver, and was also a good review the night before the practical.
http://www.amazon.com/Color-Atlas-Anatomy-Photographic-Study/dp/0781731941
*this is the old edition and it works great.

[3] Books in general
I bought all of the required books and did not regret it. The lecture notes are a very watered down version of an already condensed course. Reading even for 1hr helps a lot.
If anything, make sure to get the Robins Pathology, b/c USMLE is HUGE on path.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an entering post bac student looking for apt/townhouse/house if anyone still needs a roommate. I'm moving from Iowa and not bringing alot with me because my husband will be staying in Iowa with all our "stuff". I would like to be fairly close to school and am looking for something from Sept 1-end of April.

I would agree with path being huge on the USMLE and the COMLEX. Goljan's rapid review is a must have. For anatomy, I would highly recommend BRS Gross Anatomy. The review questions are a gold mine as they are really similar to board questions and test questions and it is great for studying right before an exam. Be warned, it's not a way to learn the course, but it's definitely got the essentials.

I personally did not really use the book too much, just when the lectures were not up to par (you will find out right away which professors have good notes and which don't). A lot of the time, the professors do a good job of emphasizing what they are going to test on and what concepts are going to be high yield for an exam (i.e. if they go over brachial plexus for 40 out of 60 minutes of a lecture... :idea: .

Members don't see this ad :)
What anatomy atlas are you guys gonna get? I think I'm gonna do Rohen's since it has actual pics of cadavers. I saw a preview of it on google books and it looks like a good book. I also looked at Gray's atlas and although I didn't like all the colorful computer generated illustrations, it did have a lot of x-ray, MRI, CT, and other scans available to look at.

Netter + Netter Flashcards + Powerpoints + Spending time in Lab = A in Anatomy :D

Hey guys! Two 1st yr LDP students here and we could really use two more roommates (male or female)! We planning on living in a 4 br, 2 ba house with a 2 car garage. The house includes a washer and drier, landscaping services, a fully stocked kitchen with a stove, fridge, microwave, etc. and it’s less than half a mile from LECOM. The rent is $1200 per month (so $300 per person assuming we get a full house). Utilities are not included. The house is located at 4516 Allegheny Rd, Erie, PA 16509. We already have 2 ferrets in the house so pets are considered on a case by case basis. Let me know if you’re interested. No smokers please. Pics and floor plans can be seen here:
http://alleghenyerie.blogspot.com/

I just signed my lease on Wednesday morning with Landmark Apartments, and found out that I got accepted elsewhere that evening... so am moving. The apartment is 2BR, really spacious and pretty, and available now for $565/month. Craigslist posting:
http://erie.craigslist.org/apa/1275065566.html
Feel free to email the email address on the posting for more information.

So after talking to a few of you about the bbq, I think it's best if we do one keg and if we run out then we can go on a beer run. I'm afraid there won't be enough people drinking beer from the keg and have a bunch left over. It would be easier to have left over beer in bottles or cans than in a keg. Also I think it's best if everyone brings their own food to the bbq. We can have ppl bring chips or pop but it may be too difficult to coordinate having a list of food to sign up for when everyone is in the moving process. Glenwood Park is next to the zoo. Go on peach st and take a right on w. 38th. Go straight past the YMCA and hockey rink on the right. At Glenwood Ave, take a right. The park is about a block on the right. There are a bunch of pavillions available and just look for one with a bunch of ppl and a keg.

I would advise the class of 2013 to adhere to all the rules of having picnics in public parks. LECOM administration takes our actions outside of school very seriously b/c we are a big part of the community here in Erie.

You can get kicked out of school before you even start. Just a friendly advice.

I would second Igor4sugry's post. Please be mindful that while you have not yet started classes you are now medical students. Please be smart and don't jeopardize your future before you even start school (especially in matters concerning alcohol...you'll see what I mean soon enough).

Ok after reviewing all the posts on here and facebook, I have decided to not do a keg for the bbq. I don't want anyone to get kicked out of school and if someone was hurt or hurt someone after drinking from the keg, I would be responsible. So if you want stuff to drink, then BYOB. Also bring your own food and if you wanna grill something then I'll get charcoal. Let's be safe and have fun

I have a room in a 2 bedroom apartment available. Its from Pastore builders located across the street from LECOM built last summer. Anyone still looking for an apartment let me know.

Hey! Are you living in Laurel Springs? I just moved in and have yet to meet any other first years here...

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say welcome to school! Enjoy embryology, while there is still a nice and reasonable limit to the amount of information you have to absorb. :)

Hi i have a question, does LECOM require a DO LOR?

Welcome class of 2014!!! I am a third year LECOMer who is also a student recruiter for the Army National Guard (2LT). There are a few of us around because this is a brand new program. If you are interested, I am happy to speak with you or send you information about stipends, commitments, etc. There are a lot of opportunities in the Army National Guard and you can get paid to go to school while supporting your fellow Americans!!! Please email me at [email protected] if you are interested!!!:)

Hi i have a question, does LECOM require a DO LOR?

Most DO schools will want you to get a letter from a DO... So whether it is required or not, it is definately in your best interest to try and get one from a DO and include it into your application. If this means spending a couple hours with a DO and hoping for a letter (what I did), then just do what you gotta do! It will help your application with all DO programs.

haha oh thats great... have you seen the picture of "dudas, where's my car?" staring bateman?? i died laughing.

For Erie medical student housing contact:

The Inn at Presque Isle
2930 West 6th Street & Peninsula Drve
Erie, PA 16509
Phone: 814-868-1961

Details:
1-BR for $400 per month includes all utilities, cableTV, wireless internet, housekeeping, coffee, heated pool, microwave, fridge, ... no lease.

Hello class of 2013!
I am a class of 2011 medical student at LECOM and know how it feels to have to look for a place in Erie. We rented for two years then realized we may have been better off buying because we will get something out of our time spent here, so we decided to buy a home. If anybody is looking to purchase a home to stay in for your four years, or longer, my wife is a realtor for Howard Hanna and she would love to help you find a spot near LECOM and perfect for your situation, whatever it may be. Her information is below and feel free to call her at anytime if you have any questions or would like to start searching.

Nicole Phinney
Office:814-833-1000
Cell:814-823-7025 She will be easiest to reach on her cell at anytime throughout the day
email: [email protected]

Hi all,
I am set for an interview at LECOM on Friday and was wondering what insiders think of the school. I can't find much information on the school honestly and don't know what to say about them during my interview other than that they have a good match rate and lots of service opportunities.

Thanks!

Trixiecat

Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.

LECOM is a pretty good school. I am friends with quite a few 3rd & 4th years who all believe that they received a good education and are quite competitive on rotations. That being said, the school is quite strict. You must adhere to the dress code and all school rules. There is also the matter of it being located pretty far away from many cities (closest large cities are Buffalo and Cleveland, which are both about 2 hours away). If you have no problem with that and basically staying under the radar while you're here, you'll be fine. Good luck!

Hi all,
I am set for an interview at LECOM on Friday and was wondering what insiders think of the school. I can't find much information on the school honestly and don't know what to say about them during my interview other than that they have a good match rate and lots of service opportunities.

Thanks!

Trixiecat
LECOM is a pretty good school. I am friends with quite a few 3rd & 4th years who all believe that they received a good education and are quite competitive on rotations. That being said, the school is quite strict. You must adhere to the dress code and all school rules. There is also the matter of it being located pretty far away from many cities (closest large cities are Buffalo and Cleveland, which are both about 2 hours away). If you have no problem with that and basically staying under the radar while you're here, you'll be fine. Good luck!