LECOM-Erie Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,
I am a second year who will be doing my rotations in Erie for the next two years. I have two bedrooms available in my three bedroom two bath home. If anyone is looking for places to live. You can check out my post on craigslist (LECOM/Mercyhurst) or on roomates.com or simply email me at [email protected] for details.

I am an ISP student so I can provide some feedback on that pathway. As far as anatomy lab.... only LDP will have it. Your not really going to be missing anything, they had too many students per cadaver anyway so by the time you got to it things were destroyed. There are some really good anatomy dissections on video on the web that most students found much more helpful than the actual lab sections. If you want info on that I can get it.

Also if your not prepaired for winter start doing so now, budget for studded tires, buy the clothes while they are clearancing them now. Its cold, its windy, and we are getting 5-11 iinches in the next two days. My roomate from CA didn't listen last year until it started and she got stuck. better safe than sorry, trust me. LECOM does not cancel classes and if your late for a test even by a minute you get a seventy (they say you should have left earlier).

Hope that helps. :oops:)

Members don't see this ad.

do you like it there?
What do I like about LECOM? Well, we have a really new sweet gym that was recently completed and it's included in the tuition for your four years. This sounds like no big deal but I think it will help to have a REALLY nice place to work out and relax during medical school. I've only got to use it no(3rd year) but think it would've been really nice during years I and II. I also like the fact that our school has so many electives for rotations, and we can use them on anything we want. Many schools are limited as to how many rotations they can do on a certain area, I will be able to do 7 Radiology rotations wherever I like which will really help with my future application process. That's about it...

do you feel like you will be competitive after graduation? I think I will be competitive after graduation but honestly, I don't feel LECOM did anything "above and beyond" to get me there... It sounds arrogant, but I think most of my classmates would agree that you are mostly on your own! (Especially in 3rd and 4th year) You need to be very selfmotivated and their curriculum and rotations are set up for you to graduate and be a physician, but I can't say that they do much extra to make you "competitive."

what don't you like about the school?
I do have a lot of negative feelings toward the school. I think it mostly stems from going to an undergrad University (Oregon State University) that made me feel "welcome" and had a good feel about it. LECOM is run as a business, is VERY formal, and you are an employee for four years... They want you to finish, but you must do it the official way or else... Don't get me wrong, I am going to graduate and hopefully get the residency I want, and there are many successful students that graduate from LECOM! They just don't really care if you have negative feelings about them, there is no "warm fuzzy feeling" here. So students do what they need to do, and generally do pretty well. I will most likely be more associated with my undergraduate institution in the future than LECOM. If these things don't matter to you, then don't worry about it and LECOM is probably a fine fit for you! I see other med students on my rotations that have such positive vibes concerning their schools. You see SO LITTLE of that when I talk to my classmates about our school...

Hopes that helps! I'm sorry to be so negative, just thought I'd let people know what I thought as an MSIII so you could decide! Remember, i'm only one person so take what I say with a grain of salt and try to get other opinions!

do you like it there?

I feel that LECOM is probably one of the toughest schools out there. If you want to learn the material well, they will provide you with all the notes but you have to do the work yourself ( as it should be!!!)
School is what you make of it, not what it makes of you. You could go to Yale, but if you don't study, it doesn't matter. Personally, I feel that I will be extremely competitive once I get to my rotations and residencies because I have made the best of what they gave us and trust me they do give us a lot. Yes, LECOM is formal but they do care about their students. They know that we can take it so they push us to our limits and honestly it works! I feel very very very well educated. Most of this is because I made the effort to study a lot and make sure I payed attention to classes.

So, if you don't care about dress code and exams every monday and no spring break, I recommend you go to LECOM. You will get a great education but at the end of it, you will probably start disliking a school a little bit because they make you do so much work. But, I think it is ALL worth it once you feel confident in yourself and your knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just found out that I got accepted to LDP (not, my first choice, ...or my second, but this late I can't expect there to be openings in the other pathways)
See you guys this fall!

I just got into the PBL pathway (at Erie) today, so I guess the other pathways still have openings! What do I do after I send in my deposit? Do I need to worry about immunizations right away?

Just found out that I got accepted to LDP (not, my first choice, ...or my second, but this late I can't expect there to be openings in the other pathways)
See you guys this fall!

People will switch pathways throughout the summer, accept other schools, ect. So if you want anothe rpathway, be proactive over summer and in the first 3 months of school.

But, LDP rocks so not sure why you wouldn't want it. :D

I just got into the PBL pathway (at Erie) today, so I guess the other pathways still have openings! What do I do after I send in my deposit? Do I need to worry about immunizations right away?

Start the immunizations as soon as you can as some of them take a couple months. (I believe they have to be started by the time you matriculate, but probably don't have to be complete till you start rotations honestly.)

Start the immunizations as soon as you can as some of them take a couple months. (I believe they have to be started by the time you matriculate, but probably don't have to be complete till you start rotations honestly.)
But they will harass you until they are completed

Anyone know anything about Lakeview or scenery Hills Apartments? Good or Bad?
Thanks!

Is there any on-campus printing provided by the school? I got really used to being able to print 300 pages or so every couple of days at my undergrad but if thats not the case at LECOM I might go invest in a laser printer for printing out lecture notes and other stuff.

Is there any on-campus printing provided by the school? I got really used to being able to print 300 pages or so every couple of days at my undergrad but if thats not the case at LECOM I might go invest in a laser printer for printing out lecture notes and other stuff.
NOpe no free printing on campus I have a HP P2055dn laser. Prints double sided and I love it, cuts down the cost of paper but up front I think it cost me 300

Members don't see this ad :)
3 bedroom, one bathroom house for rent- walking distance from school.

Contact the landlord- JoAnn for more information:
Her home number is 814-868-2631 cell is 814-450-2170 and e-mail is [email protected].

NOpe no free printing on campus I have a HP P2055dn laser. Prints double sided and I love it, cuts down the cost of paper but up front I think it cost me 300

Man I would love an automatic double sided printer, but the computer **** I want to buy is adding up.

1000-1200 on a new laptop

200$ docking station

200$ monitor

80$ bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Printer

Bah, somethings gonna have to give.

Maybe I don't really need pants.

Man I would love an automatic double sided printer, but the computer **** I want to buy is adding up.

1000-1200 on a new laptop

200$ docking station

200$ monitor

80$ bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Printer

Bah, somethings gonna have to give.

Maybe I don't really need pants.
Look at it this way you'll save on the cost of paper. I had a single sided printer and it sucked, wasted so much paper printing notes. Now everything is double sided and it is great.

Look at it this way you'll save on the cost of paper. I had a single sided printer and it sucked, wasted so much paper printing notes. Now everything is double sided and it is great.

Well just because its not automatic duplex doesn't mean you can't do it manually ;).

Believe me I know double sided is great, I use it all the time (manually with my personal printer, but the school printers do it automatically). Not just to save on the cost of paper, but thats also half the amount of paper that I have to carry around with me.

I did find an auto-duplex laser on newegg for something like 170, so might check that out closer.

If you join your class's Note Service you will get all the lecture notes printed out in your locker every morning. It will probably be between $150-200 a semester, but it is black and white and 4 slides to a page (and it is double sided).

OK, it is t minus 100 days or so until orientation so I guess I can finally peek into the med student thread versus the pre med thread......I have lived in Erie most of my life (no jokes please.......lol) and will gladly give you any info. Just PM me.

As far as places to live, I never really lived in the apartments. The one thing I do notice though is that the palermo townhouses all seem you have to walk up a flight of stairs just to get in. Seems like it would be tough to move in, bring home groceries, etc...... but I never lived in one. Maleno is nice. I actually played baseball with one of the family. They are family owned and are good people. have had frineds that rented from them and everything was fine. as far as pets, when we were bulding a house years ago we had to live in an aprtment for a few months and had pets. We rented from Buckeye. They were not as close, but had some older ones and newer ones.

As far as school goes, I am looking forward to meeting everyone and hopefully relying on some of you for help. That is one of the things I liked about Lecom. Seemed to be genuine people, very little gunners.

If you join your class's Note Service you will get all the lecture notes printed out in your locker every morning. It will probably be between $150-200 a semester, but it is black and white and 4 slides to a page (and it is double sided).

That sounds awesome and definitely worth the price. Do you get the previous days lecture notes every day though? I mean its not just a printout of the powerpoints right, you also get notes that people in the class take? So each day you would get the slides/notes from the previous day?

That sounds awesome and definitely worth the price. Do you get the previous days lecture notes every day though? I mean its not just a printout of the powerpoints right, you also get notes that people in the class take? So each day you would get the slides/notes from the previous day?
Yeah you get the previous days notes as well but you have to print those out yourself. They do not contain any drawings or diagrams usually that the professor might put up on the screen

Yeah you get the previous days notes as well but you have to print those out yourself. They do not contain any drawings or diagrams usually that the professor might put up on the screen

My class usually includes them...just depends on what your class individually decides to you. Its not LECOM sponsored, so you can do whatever you want. I was in charge of the notes part for 2011, so I got someone to do it for 2012 and told them how we did it, just so they had an idea, but then they can do whatever. So someone from 2012 will get someone from 2013 to run it too...hopefully!

Hi all,
I am the current "Head Scribe" for Note Service. Eventually I will post looking for people to run the note service for Class of 2013 but I'll wait until everyone has matriculated and more people are on SDN. But I wanted to tell you about it, so you know it's an option. For about $150, you get printed notes in your locker. There are 4 slides per page and double sided in black and white. You also get what is called "scribe notes." Scribe notes are taken by designated people during the lecture and they usually either summarize the main points of the lecture or will answer the objectives for the lecture (these are what most professors test off of). Like I said, eventually I will start looking for people to run note service for you class (you need 3 people) and those people can start looking for scribes and runners and get people to sign up.

I personally find it super convenient so I don't have to print off my own lectures and the scribe notes are awesome in case I miss something during lecture. I know some people who study right from them.

Congrats on getting into LECOM! Enjoy your summer! If you have any questions that I can answer for you, either about noteservice or about LECOM in general, feel free to email me at [email protected] as I'm not on SDN very often. :)

Anyone know anything about Royal Villa apartments with kolb realty?

Anyone know anything about Royal Villa apartments with kolb realty?

I know where they are. There would seem to be more options closer to school. If they are the ones I am thinking about, they are on a pretty busy road, and there is only one building with like 5 or 10 units in it. Kold is a longitme company, but I think they do some residential and commerical. They are in Millcreek, so if you have any kids, this would give you a better school system. Feel free to PM me if you want, I can even send you some pics form the outside if you want...........

To all class of 2013'ers:

has anyone received their financial aid information yet? I keep checking the portal but still no updates. I am sure I am being a bit neurotic, but hey I have too much down time now.........I know that wont be a problem in a about 90 days.

Any current students feel free to chime in as to when you got this information..............Thanks.

To all class of 2013'ers:

has anyone received their financial aid information yet? I keep checking the portal but still no updates. I am sure I am being a bit neurotic, but hey I have too much down time now.........I know that wont be a problem in a about 90 days.

Any current students feel free to chime in as to when you got this information..............Thanks.
Last year no one got FinAid info till late may/early june at the earliest. So you have time

Last year no one got FinAid info till late may/early june at the earliest. So you have time

Slevin, Somehow I knew you would be the first to post. I apprciate it, but was hoping for it sooner.

In any event, does anyone know if I will still be able to max out borrowing even if my ability / willingness to contribute what they say my EFC is?? Its not the debt that scares me, it is running short during a term and having to tell my kids they have to eat peanut butter, oh and santa is taking the year off...........Does anyon know if I can still take out max loans (even is unsubsidized)? Thanks

Don't know about that but I doubt they'll have a problem eating PB. Now on the other hand if they had to just eat lima beans that might be a problem

Don't know about that but I doubt they'll have a problem eating PB. Now on the other hand if they had to just eat lima beans that might be a problem

I love peanut butter, I'm pretty sure I could live off of it for a few years.

Probably a good thing, since I'm going to med school

I am bringing a car to school and wondering if I have to register it in Pennsylvania? I am hoping not b/c it's cheaper for me to be on the insurance policy I currently have with my family. Plus, I will probably only be using this car for two years. Anyway, how does it work as far as Penn's DMV rules?

I am also planning on opening a bank account with National City; what do they require for proof of address? Should I get a state ID?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to plan out how early I'll have to move to Erie. Thanks!

I am bringing a car to school and wondering if I have to register it in Pennsylvania? I am hoping not b/c it's cheaper for me to be on the insurance policy I currently have with my family. Plus, I will probably only be using this car for two years. Anyway, how does it work as far as Penn's DMV rules?

I am also planning on opening a bank account with National City; what do they require for proof of address? Should I get a state ID?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to plan out how early I'll have to move to Erie. Thanks!
I never changed the registration on my car and I've had no problems... The bank might just need a bill to the address you will be living at, not 100% sure. I actually don't have a local bank the closest branch for me is probably at least 500 miles away and I've had no problems with that either

I never changed the registration on my car and I've had no problems... The bank might just need a bill to the address you will be living at, not 100% sure. I actually don't have a local bank the closest branch for me is probably at least 500 miles away and I've had no problems with that either

Thanks! So if I don't register my car in PA, do I have to go back to my home state for emissions testing or is there a way around that?

Thanks! So if I don't register my car in PA, do I have to go back to my home state for emissions testing or is there a way around that?
I only get my emissions testing done when its expired and I'm back in NY anyway... I wouldn't make a special trip... at most you'll be six months out of date but you won't be driving here too much anyway, just sitting and reading. If for some chance you do get pulled over when your home explain the the officer that you've been out of state at school and this is your first time home in a few months. As long as your not over a year out of date you should be fine when you go home and take it in.

Hey all,

I have a room available for rent for those 2013'ers still looking.

It's $300 + 1/3 utilities per month. NO deposits and NO lease. Utilities include Cable TV/Recorder, high speed internet (wireless available), water, gas, and electric. Out your door and to classes in less than five minutes.

I'm a current Rx student so I can school you on meds and pharmacology. My other roomie wil be a 2nd year med student and can give you some tips and pointers to survive first year (we're both guys).

Let me know if you have any ?s or are interested (about the room and/or about LECOM). Congrats and enjoy your time off before school :)

[email protected]

Don't change your registration would be my advice. I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for it. Get your inspections done in your home state before you leave, that way you are good for the year. Erie police and state police are going to look to see that your inspection sticker is up to date and that you have up to date stickers on your license plate.

I heard that LECOM doesnt pay for rotations. Does that make it harder for LECOM students to get good rotations thus making it harder to get the residency you want? Also, if you don't match in the residency you want do you do? Can you do a transitional year and try and rematch?

I heard that LECOM doesnt pay for rotations. Does that make it harder for LECOM students to get good rotations thus making it harder to get the residency you want? Also, if you don't match in the residency you want do you do? Can you do a transitional year and try and rematch?

Yes, it is correct that LECOM does not pay for rotations. According to administration, it is to help keep our tuition low....although....that means that LECOM is getting ~$30,000 for the last two years of med school for basically doing very little work....good deal. It just means that we get dropped from rotations quite frequently and many of our sites are smaller, more rural, and more fam med/primary care oriented. That being said, if there is somewhere you really want to do your residency, you can probably work it out to do a rotation there. It just may be more work than you expected.

You can do a transitional year, but I wouldn't recommend it. Most DO residencies include an extra year (traditionally), so it really would be extra work. Do your homework on rotation sites, find a few places you could stand to do a residency, and get a couple of "top picks". Besides, you may think you know what you want to do right now, but it may change (or so they say).

Has anyone heard or experienced anything about the Maleno Development properties? I'm looking into Lakeview, Scenery Hills, or Shadow Pines. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW I received my financial aid award letter today, so C/O 2013 check your email.

Has anyone heard or experienced anything about the Maleno Development properties? I'm looking into Lakeview, Scenery Hills, or Shadow Pines. Any info would be appreciated.

BTW I received my financial aid award letter today, so C/O 2013 check your email.

As long as the topic has been brought up.......has anyone looked at the different companies on LECOMs website for loans? It looks as though PNC and Discover seem to be the best......but discover has a private loan option instead of the PLUS loan option that has zero points and a graduation reduction of 2% but only has 15 year repayment. Given this, Discover looks to be good, but am wondering if anyone has looked eeeper or has any additional thoughts........Also, any MSI-IV, feel free to add any comments to help us newbies.

Thanks.

Don't change your registration would be my advice. I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed for it. Get your inspections done in your home state before you leave, that way you are good for the year. Erie police and state police are going to look to see that your inspection sticker is up to date and that you have up to date stickers on your license plate.
I am from Florida and we dont have any emissions inspections here...actually I am not even sure exactly what that entails and how much does it cost? Will I have to do it in Erie?

When is our white coat ceremony?
Anyone know? :)

Vehicle registration ...... not required to change registration to PA as long as you are a student, still need valid insurance

Emissions test .... not required if you are not a resident. Also some counties in PA do not require test either

I am a current first year ISP student and I have a room available for rent in my 3 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house that is about a mile from LECOM. Rent will be cheap ($300) and utilities/cable/ internet will be split 3 ways which comes out to about 80-150/mo for each person. I live here with another guy who doesnt go to LECOM. The only thing you would need to furnish is your bedroom and can move in as early as you want. If interested or you want some more info just send me a message.

Last edited:
I need 3 roommates to share a 4BR house 2 blocks from LECOM. You can easily walk to school. Plus, the rent is cheap 380+ utilities , or less if we fill the house. Please send me a message weiv0005 at gmail.com if you are interested.

As long as the topic has been brought up.......has anyone looked at the different companies on LECOMs website for loans? It looks as though PNC and Discover seem to be the best......but discover has a private loan option instead of the PLUS loan option that has zero points and a graduation reduction of 2% but only has 15 year repayment. Given this, Discover looks to be good, but am wondering if anyone has looked eeeper or has any additional thoughts........Also, any MSI-IV, feel free to add any comments to help us newbies.

Thanks.

I went with Discover student loans and have been very pleased. I wouldn't recommend taking out private loans. If you borrow the full amount, the grad plus only constitutes about $10,000 per year of the almost $50,000 total. They make it very easy to tract your loan status as well as online management of any payments you make on interest (which I would highly recommend if you have the means to do so...it'll save you a lot a money in the long run). Plus Discover offers a 0% origination fee which most other banks do not. While they have only been in the student loan business a few years, they have quickly built up an excellent reputation and are one of LECOM's recommended lenders.

Does anyone know where I can find some information about the Erie White Coat Ceremony? I have looked through the website but I haven't been able to find any information about it. Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can find some information about the Erie White Coat Ceremony? I have looked through the website but I haven't been able to find any information about it. Thanks.

All the info is sent out a few weeks prior to the ceremony which is in early January. If you have questions feel free to ask. But believe me, by the time you get to it, it won't mean much to you and you will be wishing you didn't have to sit and watch 260 plus people stumble across the stage when you have a quiz the next day.