LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey when do we get our student email addresses?

Members don't see this ad.

hey when do we get our student email addresses?

They'll have them set up by the time you do your pre-orientation day, and they give you the initial password then. Your address is very likely to be firstname.lastname at med.lecom.edu.

They'll have them set up by the time you do your pre-orientation day, and they give you the initial password then. Your address is very likely to be firstname.lastname at med.lecom.edu.

cool, thanks!! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
do you guys know if the booklist that was sent out to us has all the correct ISBN numbers. the clinical exam book when i put in the isbn it gives me a pocket guide. then there are two different tenth editions so im not sure which one they want us to buy

do you guys know if the booklist that was sent out to us has all the correct ISBN numbers. the clinical exam book when i put in the isbn it gives me a pocket guide. then there are two different tenth editions so im not sure which one they want us to buy

If you're not sure, check out the book list on the portal. It's under "bookstore" and then on the left there's a "Bradenton bookstore" tab that will show a link to the list. I entered this ISBN (from the book list on the portal) into the search box in amazon and it gave me a normal, 10th edition of Bates: 9780781780582 --Try that one.

If it still gives you 2 different 10th editions, go with the cheaper one.

Does anyone know what type of Anatomy program does this school use instead of cadavers? Thanks!

Cadavers are still used, they are just prosected for you throughout those first ~10 weeks of anatomy. In years past if you really wanted to spend time dissecting they allowed some students to come in over summe after their 1st year to help dissect the cadavers for the upcoming new class.

Oh, I thought they has some kind of anatomy computer software. I thought the school uses that so it must be really good. I guess I got mixed information somewhere. I wanted to get a hold of that software.

Oh, I thought they has some kind of anatomy computer software. I thought the school uses that so it must be really good. I guess I got mixed information somewhere. I wanted to get a hold of that software.
you're sort of right, dr K had developed one back in the dino days but it's so old it doesn't run on anything past win 95. rapid review anatomy program is good, actually all of them are a great review. I gave out a whole series of them to the 2013 class. ask around. also the iphone has a fantastic netters app with a test setting. also try bones lite (it's free).

check this out
http://www9.biostr.washington.edu/da.html
http://www.med.harvard.edu/AANLIB/home.html
http://www.anatomy.wisc.edu/courses/gross/index.html
http://anatomy.med.umich.edu/courseinfo/mich_quiz_index.html
http://www.uams.edu/neuroscience_cellbiology/courses/

good luck!

As of last year, we used a program called "Anatomy & Physiology Revealed 2.0" in addition to the prosected cadavers. I looked on amazon, you can get it for ~$25 if you're so inclined. It was NOT required, and I only knew a couple of people who bought it--it was installed on several computers in the anatomy lab, so you could use it there for free anytime the school was open.

As far as how great it is... meh. Not bad, but not great either. I'll put it this way: it wasn't worth $25 to me when I was taking anatomy. There were some quizzes in there that were ok, so be sure you check them out.

Might want to look on the portal--I assume you have access. They posted the syllabus for anatomy around the beginning of July last year, and that would tell you if they're still using this program or if they switched to something else.

This is mainly to 2nd years who may have some perspective but will take advice from anyone.

I did fine on the first anatomy exam, but not on the second. As a result I'm sitting 2 points below passing. I read the material and study and I felt like I was prepared for the exam but obviously I was not. Add to this an advisor who is continually berating me and telling me I'm going to fail out of med school.

Obviously I was unhappy with my second grade but I didn't think it was going to be the end of my medical school career. Is this advisor going overboard? I know I'm in a bad place but I thought it was something I would work back from.

I'm working with a tutor, but I'm really concerned about this 3rd exam. Anyone have any study tips?

This is mainly to 2nd years who may have some perspective but will take advice from anyone.

I did fine on the first anatomy exam, but not on the second. As a result I'm sitting 2 points below passing. I read the material and study and I felt like I was prepared for the exam but obviously I was not. Add to this an advisor who is continually berating me and telling me I'm going to fail out of med school.

Obviously I was unhappy with my second grade but I didn't think it was going to be the end of my medical school career. Is this advisor going overboard? I know I'm in a bad place but I thought it was something I would work back from.

I'm working with a tutor, but I'm really concerned about this 3rd exam. Anyone have any study tips?

What have you been doing to study? Reading the text? Just Powerpoints? Review books?

I, personally, found I started doing better once I started reading review books more. They do leave out details, but at least I get the core of the important stuff. For me, I'd recommend reading BRS Anatomy a LOT, with supplementation from the power points and book.

This doesn't work for everyone. Some people do better when reading the big books...my memory just can't keep up with that...

Kruegers one liners should also be memorized.

I was reading the Moore book but I think for this exam I'm going to switch to Gray's for students. I just follow the flow better.

I was doing the required reading then going back over the powerpoints, now i'm going to try looking through the powerpoints before lecture as well after. I've also started making note cards off the powerpoints

I have the BRS Anatomy book and have been using the questions from the end of the chapters as practice for the test but not actually reading the book itself.

Maybe I'll try reading the BRS before the Gray's so that I'll have an overview before I try to dredge through all that detail.

I'm just so frustrated that I'm not doing well....I feel like I'm putting in the effort but not getting any return. :(

Your advisor is trying to motivate you through fear. Don't take it personally. It's not like they get a cookie when an advisee flunks out.

What worked for me was doing the reading so that I could actively listen to the lectures. That is, I didn't try to follow along with my copy of the powerpoint on my laptop, just listened and took notes, then went back to my copy of the ppt after and added my notes. I'm not a huge fan of making flash cards because I found making them was too time-consuming, but I definitely have friends who said that worked for them.

So yeah, you're in a tough spot, but you can turn it around. If you get a 72 (or better) on the next exam, you'll have a passing average. Yes, you need to do better, but not wildly better than your average so far.

Good luck.

I was reading the Moore book but I think for this exam I'm going to switch to Gray's for students. I just follow the flow better.

I was doing the required reading then going back over the powerpoints, now i'm going to try looking through the powerpoints before lecture as well after. I've also started making note cards off the powerpoints

I have the BRS Anatomy book and have been using the questions from the end of the chapters as practice for the test but not actually reading the book itself.

Maybe I'll try reading the BRS before the Gray's so that I'll have an overview before I try to dredge through all that detail.

I'm just so frustrated that I'm not doing well....I feel like I'm putting in the effort but not getting any return. :(
I had a similar experience, anatomy is pure memory. there's no rhyme or reason on why something is named what it is. just memorize it. I like using mnemonics and anatomy recall. it really saved me. BRS for quizzing yourself so you don't get bored. I also gave out the rapid review anatomy program. ask around. good luck, hang in there. do your best and pass!

Hey guys (and gals)!

I forgot to ask about electives during my lecom-b.

How many electives and selectives are there available during the 3rd/4th years?

Hey guys (and gals)!

I forgot to ask about electives during my lecom-b.

How many electives and selectives are there available during the 3rd/4th years?

3rd year: 2 electives
4th: 3 "true" electives + 1 surgical selective +1 medical selective.... and even possibility of a 4th elective during beginning of year if you don't have to do board review.

So it's a pretty flexible schedule. This is what it is currently for my class at least, specifics could change a little by the time you're at that point.

3rd year: 2 electives
4th: 3 "true" electives + 1 surgical selective +1 medical selective.... and even possibility of a 4th elective during beginning of year if you don't have to do board review.

So it's a pretty flexible schedule. This is what it is currently for my class at least, specifics could change a little by the time you're at that point.

Perfect! Thanks, nlax!:thumbup: