LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you have upwards of $600 to spend on these tests I'm glad you're in such a sound financial place but I don't have that kind of money to spend on this if it isn't absolutely required. I had the titers and TB tests done over at the heath department, because it was the a more affordable way. I just need to get the health history and physical signed off.

Thanks SoCar and Digitl, I'll give the school a call on Monday and see if they have a preference to which licensed healthcare professional does the physical.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have upwards of $600 to spend on these tests I'm glad you're in such a sound financial place but I don't have that kind of money to spend on this if it isn't absolutely required. I had the titers and TB tests done over at the heath department, because it was the a more affordable way. I just need to get the health history and physical signed off.

Thanks SoCar and Digitl, I'll give the school a call on Monday and see if they have a preference to which licensed healthcare professional does the physical.

Don't be afraid to travel either. I actually had to drive 4 hours to Raliegh, NC to get my TCA test done. The labs near me all wanted $300 for that one test. I got it done for $30 at a random lab in Raleigh. Well worth the drive!

i know it gets expensive....any licensed PA/NP/MD/DO can sign off on your health form. they can also cut you a script to get whatever labs you need done. from there you can shop around to see who's the cheapest to run them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

This question is geared toward current students: As of now, I'll be moving down to Bradenton with a friend of mine from my current area and rooming with him. (In a happy coincidence, he was planning to move down there around the same time for a different program.) He has his heart semi-set on an apartment complex that google maps and mapquest agree is about a 20-25 min drive from the school. *I* was hoping to be a bit closer, for the sake of not wasting precious time in a tedious commute.... What do current students think? Is 20-25 min each way too long? Should I try to nudge for a closer complex..? Or should I bow to roommate-compromise and treat the commute as a forced study break...?

(The apt complex he wants is in South Bradenton proper, off 44th ave W, so I'd be taking 70 to Lakewood Ranch Blvd, etc)

Hello All,

This question is geared toward current students: As of now, I'll be moving down to Bradenton with a friend of mine from my current area and rooming with him. (In a happy coincidence, he was planning to move down there around the same time for a different program.) He has his heart semi-set on an apartment complex that google maps and mapquest agree is about a 20-25 min drive from the school. *I* was hoping to be a bit closer, for the sake of not wasting precious time in a tedious commute.... What do current students think? Is 20-25 min each way too long? Should I try to nudge for a closer complex..? Or should I bow to roommate-compromise and treat the commute as a forced study break...?

(The apt complex he wants is in South Bradenton proper, off 44th ave W, so I'd be taking 70 to Lakewood Ranch Blvd, etc)

Hmm...yeah...I'm not a fan. Any particular reason? West Bradenton is kinda blah. And, it is rather far away. Plan on it being even longer when the snowbirds are here (November-ish through April-ish).

A couple of students do live out that way, but 95% of us live within 5 miles of the school. For apartments, I'd check out the Yacht Club or Colonial Grand.

look for townhouses between 70 and univ pwky....there are plenty 2bd/2ba w/1 car garage for under 900. also down univ pwky, past lockwood going west towards the airport has some also

Hello all,

I was just hoping to get some advice on where I should live in Bradenton. I am getting married this summer and we are looking to buy a home (probably a condo) before the tax credit ends. Since we want to buy, I would like to find a place near the school and near any possible rotation locations so that I don't have to move again in 2yrs. Thanks :rolleyes:

Hello all,

I was just hoping to get some advice on where I should live in Bradenton. I am getting married this summer and we are looking to buy a home (probably a condo) before the tax credit ends. Since we want to buy, I would like to find a place near the school and near any possible rotation locations so that I don't have to move again in 2yrs. Thanks :rolleyes:

Lakewood Ranch. Done.

Hello all,

I would just like to point out that Google maps underestimates how long it takes to get places. The lights are generally timed terribly on University, SR70, and SR64. I wouldn't live anywhere West of US-301 or south of Fruitville. Being close to I-75 is kinda important also, as it dramatically cuts down on commute time. Also, Google maps has this cool real estate feature under "more" you should check out.

I'm a 3th year and I bought a house out in Parrish/Ellenton. It is 1 exit north of 64. I can get to the school in 15-20 mins. Its also close to MMH and about 45 mins from rotation spots in St. Pete.

My name is Nic and I am looking to rent to rent 2 bedrooms in a 5 bedroom house. It is a new place (built in 2005,) and very nice. It has a great lake view, a gorgeous community pool a block away, and resides in a very quiet, safe neighborhood about 18 minutes from school.
The house also has a great screened in lanai, and 2 separate areas to study in addition to the main living areas and bedrooms, which will provide everyone with plenty of privacy. I'm very excited about the house, but I need to find a couple of room mates! Check out the pictures and e-mail me at [email protected] if you're interested. The cost will be equal to or less than splitting an apartment at Carlton arms or the Yacht club.

Thanks!

Nic

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=26713366&aid=2374425

Check out the facebook album for pictures.

Hey ya'll! Congrats on your acceptances!! I haven't been on here in over a year now and seeing a few of the other upper class responses brings back old times (Digitl :) )

Anyways, just wanted to chime in on a few things.

First on rotations... even though we have very limited affiliations I have to say it's not too bad, I am only having trouble with one rotation still. The main problem is that LECOM says that they don't believe that it follows the osteopathic principles to pay for rotation slots. Thus, we get whomever is willing to take us on for free. Most other schools pay for their slots, including most osteopathic schools, and we have to compete with USF, and all of the carribean schools that send their students to FL for rotations.

There are a few hospitals that we rotate with that do have residency programs, so you do have the option to audition at a core rotation with those. Manatee Memorial is going to be starting a new residency program that will be overseen by one of our dean's so we will have an in there. However, we also have lost a few important ones, and our affiliate list seems to be chaging pretty regularly. I am planning to go into OB, and we used to be affiliated with Bayfront in St. Pete, which has one of the few OB residency programs in FL. We lost them just recently, and I have been told that they will not allow us to do elective rotations with them even. We flat out do not have enough Peds or OB rotation slots, and I have had a difficult time filling them. In particular, the Peds slot has been dificult because USF has contracts with alot of the Tampa area hospitals and many doctors are affiliated with these hospitals and cannot take us. (I am going to be living in the Tampa area) Just something to keep in mind. Use your first year or two to try to make some connections with local docs. Get involved in the osteopathic med societies outside of school and you will meet docs (I have some good contacts if anyone needs info).

For those of you considering rotating out of state at other hospitals... be aware that alot of hospitals will not take 3rd year students from institutions that they are not involved with. And, some of those will only take 4th years for electives. I'm not talking about small community hospitals, but most hospitals that have any kind of teaching program may follow this.

As for PBL, yes it rocks. For those of you who have never been good with independant study and keeping yourself on a disciplined study schedule, get better quick! There is no time to get adjusted, and just when you think you've figured out the best way to study and organize the two years are over:) Ask upper classmen for advice, and whatever else we have to offer ;)

Um, anyone with kids PM me, I can let you know about good areas to live and good schools and day cares (I have 3 little ones).

If you're looking for a 4br house to rent close to school, we're moving out of this one in July and I can give you more info if interested. (We don't own the house, just like it)

If anyone is looking for books, I will probably be selling after boards at the end of May. I don't know what your book list is, but you're likely to use some of what we had.

Also, check on the SGA website if you haven't already. There are usually lots of people looking for roommates, selling books and renting their homes there too.

I'm happy to talk/share/advise if anyone has questions, as are most of the students on here. We just have finals over the next week or two and then board review for us second years.

Best of luck to you all! The first two years goes by so fast, I can't believe it!

Since you are familiar with that drive, I am curious how feasible you think it would be for my significant other to attend USF if I attend LECOM-B? Maybe living between the two campuses would make it possible?

Hey Grace,

I know several students in this situation, and my husband works up in that area so I know your predicament. What I decided is that for the first two years it was more important for me to be close to school so I can study, go to extracurricular things, go to the library, make it to class on time, etc. So, my husband did the drive for this time. Over the summer we're moving up so he'll be closer to work and I'm going to be driving all over for rotations anyways so it didn't matter to me.

I also have several friends that commute from up there. From the Brandon mall area, it's only about 45 min in traffic so that's not terrible either. Most of them carpool to save on gas, and I actually go up that way on Saturdays for a study group. The two that I meet with don't usually come for club meetings or extra things though because it's just taxing to drive that much.

So, either way you can make it work. If you do end up living farther, find others to car pool. I know of two first years living up there I can put you in contact with. Then, you can always listen to lecture recordings in the car :p

Members don't see this ad :)
saw some postings on here looking for a place. my attending is moving out this weekend and is leaving a nice, affordable, 3 story, 2bd/2ba with loft, basement? for storage, small back yard, parking, safe. 15 min or so from school, 15-20 from downtown sarasota and 15-20 to downtown/west bradenton (where a ton of rotations are). its on tuttle ave and I can't remember the cross st. the prices are between you and her, she's my favorite attending, still here in the area, and I wouldn't post it for you guys unless it's all good. send me your email and I'll pass it along

I am moving out of my place, a 2bd/2ba, 1 car garage, in a cul de sac. 1.5 mile from school. it doesn't get any closer. I've been here 4 yrs. I am renting it from an MD, you can rent/buy.

also sorry to hear about bayfront OB, the rotation and education I got there in 03/09 was awesome! I would easily choose it again, never a dull moment. compared to my peers in the area, I was way ahead of the game. do you know what happened? they were so LECOM friendly!! I know other rotations must still be in play b/c we currently have students there.

the deal with some hospitals is they want you to finish core's before you can go there as a 3rd yr. I guess it's to make sure you've got some time under your belt and not to compete with their students. also some places restrict ICU/ER for 4th yr only. I did 3 as a 3rd yr, very busy cards/lots of autonomy, specialized neuro, and EM, all at a residency center without finishing cores. so don't get discouraged, you gotta call for the real deal, don't trust the websites. join groups, make contacts, be enthusiastic, tell them how much you want to be there....etc. but don't over do it. nobody wants a green student riding their coat tails if they can't deliver.

as for attending USF, apollo beach is the 30min mark between tampa/bradenton. I live by the school and currently doing that drive daily to tampa...ugh.:thumbdown: it's $12/day with tolls/gas. a few of my classmates are married and split the driving time. although it's 45min to rotation sites.

I am giving a talk next thur at 530 in the lecture hall on the match, stats, rotations, shelfs, boards, and whatever questions you have. if you're in town, or need a break from board review/exams. come along! feel free to PM

Last edited:
also sorry to hear about bayfront OB, the rotation and education I got there in 03/09 was awesome! I would easily choose it again, never a dull moment. compared to my peers in the area, I was way ahead of the game. do you know what happened? they were so LECOM friendly!! I know other rotations must still be in play b/c we currently have students there.

Well, I have talked to the Bayfront people and the LECOM people. Of course the LECOM people say it's money, but the Bayfront people say it's problems with our administration (no comment). As of a few weeks ago they are not taking any LECOM students for rotations at all. Maybe if they're already set up for the incoming 4th years, but they canceled mine that I had set up. I'm hoping this will change, but sort of doubt it. I'm just hoping that others don't go this way. We lost one of the peds slots we had at northside too. Although, I guess they got more slots at Sacred Heart in Pensecola if that helps anyone (doesn't help me at all).

Well, I have talked to the Bayfront people and the LECOM people. Of course the LECOM people say it's money, but the Bayfront people say it's problems with our administration (no comment). As of a few weeks ago they are not taking any LECOM students for rotations at all. Maybe if they're already set up for the incoming 4th years, but they canceled mine that I had set up. I'm hoping this will change, but sort of doubt it. I'm just hoping that others don't go this way. We lost one of the peds slots we had at northside too. Although, I guess they got more slots at Sacred Heart in Pensecola if that helps anyone (doesn't help me at all).
I've heard of this "admin" problem before. northside is no loss, and they do push sacred heart. hopefully LECOM will expand the rotations at FL hosp east or york, PA. at least they have free everything. I think the 1 yr option is open there also. sorry to hear it's getting tight on rotations, I've done almost all of mine here. more legwork.....more legwork....

I've heard of this "admin" problem before. northside is no loss, and they do push sacred heart. hopefully LECOM will expand the rotations at FL hosp east or york, PA. at least they have free everything. I think the 1 yr option is open there also. sorry to hear it's getting tight on rotations, I've done almost all of mine here. more legwork.....more legwork....

It's only been peds and OB that have been problems this year. I just found an OB doc back home that would take me.

There does seem to have been an explosion of year long spots this year though. We got 4 new ones at Sacred Heart, a bunch (8-10...I don't remember) at Wellington on the East Coast, some more at Largo, and the usual Florida East spots. Doesn't really help me much, since I wanted to stay in town, but I got what I wanted, so no biggie. Hopefully year long Manatee spots will happen soon.

Too bad about Bayfront, that was a really good OB rotation, with a few DO's in it as well. When I was there for OB there were 3 other students with me, all from Ross so I kinda figured we would be "squeezed" out at some point.

A private surgeon I rotated with also quit taking students, another great rotation with a terrific attending that is no longer an option.

Hello all,

Well, I have to say that I wouldn't buy a house down here if I were you. Yes, you can get a good deal, but in 4 years you may not be able to sell. There are so many houses in my neighborhood (and all of the neighborhoods around here) that have been on the market since before we moved down here. This is not going to change anytime soon. To make it worse, they're still building houses/condo's/townhouses. They're going to begin construction accross from the school on a huge new neighborhood.

Coming from someone that was burned badly when we couldn't sell our house to move down here, I would wait until residency! There are alot of very good deals on house rentals now because of all of the houses people can't sell, and then you won't have to pay property tax/maintainence/etc.

Agree with Kate. I'd only consider buying something if you plan to hold onto it as a rental property after med school. Maybe a small townhouse.

IS anyone on here that went to the interview the 2nd week of April??:D Just wandering if you heard back yet? ALso was anyone put on a waiting list?? because I definitely was....and was just wandering who got in from being on a waiting list...?? I heard about half of the classroom drop is that true about mid MAY???:idea:

Hey just curious if you were Special Forces?? :)! I think that is neat if you are because my dad is and I was just wandering how that works with your whole medical schooling and SF??

Hey just curious if you were Special Forces?? :)! I think that is neat if you are because my dad is and I was just wandering how that works with your whole medical schooling and SF??
thanks, I loved it when I was in. in med school you don't get much credit, just old glory of doing the job but it does give you some kudos during interviews. it's hard to say exactly how it influenced school b/c also being a RN, my view is very skewed. I can only speculate if I didn't have my RN background: for book work, it didn't help much at all, almost none. in your clinical rotations, you feel more comfortable, especially dealing with emergencies and basic procedures, compared to the "green" med students. currently I work/help instruct the SOCOM guys when they come through the ER, what a great circle of life! good luck on getting in, hang in there

To all of you who are waiting, I officially turned down my acceptance this evening! Hopefully one of you will hear something tomorrow! Best of luck to all of you! :luck:

Thanks!!! lots!!!:D Did anyone hear back ?? Did anyone get selected from the waiting list?? I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nervous!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D don't think i can wait any longer!!

What day does orientation start for the Class of 2014?

There is a pre-orientation July 22/23 depending on what your last name is (A-M 22, N-Z 23)...Orientation and the start of MS1 is 7/26.:)

The booklist has been released, both required and supplemental. Current students any recommendations on supplemental books that you found useful?

There is a pre-orientation July 22/23 depending on what your last name is (A-M 22, N-Z 23)...Orientation and the start of MS1 is 7/26.:)

Little bit of info that might help you guys to know about the pre-orientation deal. You'll have to be at school a couple of hours on one of those days. Last year they were able to accommodate anyone who HAD to do it on one of the specific days even if it was the "wrong" day for their last name. If you need to do one day or the other, just get in touch with the office and they'll figure something out for you.

All you do on the day is get your ID, get your computer set up for the network (and for printing at school), and the admissions people go through a checklist with you to make sure all your paperwork (lab tests & financial aid) is in. Just a bit more standing in line than you'll probably care for, otherwise it's painless.

Last year, they had a "family day" at the school where you can bring your s.o./kids/parents/whatever to see the school (in all of its glory) on the Sunday before school starts. I imagine they'll do that again this year.

Enjoy your last couple months of freedom, folks!

The booklist has been released, both required and supplemental. Current students any recommendations on supplemental books that you found useful?

Each person you ask will give you different advice, but I'll give it a shot:

Board Review Series Gross Anatomy
-First off, I never bought this book, but I borrowed from a friend a few times to do the practice questions, and that was helpful. It's useful because it's broken up into small, specific sections so that when you have an exam on the shoulder and upper arm, there are chapters on those specific areas that can help guide your reviewing.

The rest of these are for PBL and OPP, so you can definitely wait on these ones:

Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine (Lange medical series) by McPhee et. al.
-I love this book, and most of the people I've recommended it to have bought it as well. It's great for PBL since PBL stresses integration of the basic sciences, and integration is this book's strong suit. However, the new edition is expensive and used copies of the last (2005) edition are getting hard-to-find, so you might want to check out one of the copies in the library to see if it's something you like it before you buy it.

OMT Review by Savarese et. al.
-If you can find this for ~$30, go ahead and buy it. Otherwise, the OMT club here sells it as a fundraiser; annoyingly I don't think I got my copy until after the first OPP exam. Oh well. The class powerpoints and this book are all you need to pass the OPP class; I bought the required OPP textbooks (Ward, and DiGiovanni) and I regret it. I never read them anymore, and I'm a solid B student in that class.

For PBL, the question review books for Guyton physiology and Robbins Pathology are worth getting, if you set aside the time to go through them.

It never hurts to have a copy of First Aid for USMLE, as that will tell you what the bare minimum is for the boards. It's not incredibly useful in reviewing for your PBL exams though... at least, I didn't think it was. But it will help you organize what you learn as you learn it, which hopefully will pay off when boards roll around. No need to hurry off to buy this one, either.

The main problem with supplemental books is that you have to use them as additional reading to your required books, because the exam questions are based on what's in the required books. Supplemental books are only useful if they help you understand the concepts in your required books. Also, the library has enough copies of the supplemental books that you'll rarely run into problems finding a copy to read.

Hope that helps. I can comment further on the book list if somebody posts it on here.
EDIT: Never mind, I found it on our portal. I'll write something up later tonight.

Last edited:
OMT recall....a must for exams and steps 1-3. if you know this book, you're solid! definitely saverese to look up stuff/review/questions. he even emails back if you have OMM questions!

rhoans and other beef jerky texts are only good during anatomy. then it's an expensive paperweight

I just made a PBL/step 1-3 review for you guys (find the EM club, tell them you want the ranger packet)

constanzo physiology is a very condensed version of guyton. a little easier read. good for generalized review and hitting the high points.

brs for questions, guyton/robbins question book, lange pharm question book

micro made ridiculously simple-must read!!

1st aid, some like using 1st aid q book too

I don't know what neuro book they're using but we had blumfield. lots of colorful pictures/tracks. pretty detailed, can be painful to read at times

I liked lippencott pharm, biochem, micro. didn't care for lippencott immuno

I didn't use baby robbins that much. some people replaced daddy robbins with teenage robbins, I did when I was running out of time and had to catch up on reading. it skips a few things so....be warned!

try the search feature, either here or in the other LECOM bradenton thread. I know this has been asked before. that's all I can think of at the moment....once you hit step 1, you dump all this stuff!!

Going through your book list, here's my advice:

Medical Dictionary:
Don't bother buying either one (Dorland or Stedman). This great thing called the internet will find whatever definition you need. (I had health care experience coming in, which might skew my perspective, but I've yet to find a classmate who found these worth buying.)

Anatomy:
-Essential Clinical Anatomy by Moore.
Good book. You're going to need it for anatomy. No way around it.

Anatomy Atlas (Pick 1)
-Atlas of Clinical Gross Anatomy by Moses
-Color Atlas of Anatomy by Rohen
-Atlas of Anatomy by Gilroy
Many of the practical questions we had were taken from Rohen's, so that's what I'd go with. I've never looked at the other two. Some of my classmates found Netter's Atlas to be the most useful--I'm surprised that's not one of the options for you guys.

Biochem:
-Mark's Basic Medical Biochem by Lieberman
Another good book. It's not perfect, but it's written clearly. If you can take the terrible puns for patient's names (e.g. Manny Weitzels for somebody with leukemia... yeah), you might even like it.

Behavioral Science:

-Behavioral Sciences and Health Care by Sahler
We have a different book; I'm not sure why they changed it. Given that you'll have behavioral science as a mini-course at the start of your second year, I wouldn't worry about buying it right away.

Clinical Exam:
-Twelve Lead ECG by Garcia
I had a different 12-lead book from my old career, so I never bought this one. I've heard good things about it.
-Bates' Guide to Physical Exam by Bickley
They changed this for you guys. I have no idea if it's any good, but I'd be surprised if it sucks as hard as our current book. You'll need this book from the start.

Embryo:
-The Developing Human by Moore
My class was split pretty much 50/50 on whether this or Langman's Embryo book was better. Moore's is probably too detailed, and it's not always well laid-out (e.g. you have to flip back 5 pages to find a diagram they refer to in the text at times), but that's what they chose, so I guess you're stuck with it.

Genetics:
-Medical Genetics by Jorde
Pretty good. We used it in our first semester, so you should probably get it.

General PBL cases:
-Integrative Medicine by Rakel
You'll need the Integrative Medicine book for the nutrition course you take at the start of 2nd semester, but you won't use it before then... and you probably won't use it much after that. It's a cool book, but not very useful for learning basic sciences.
-Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic & Lab Tests by Pagana
The Mosby's Manual you will use in pretty much every PBL case, so definitely you need it from the start.

Geriatric:
-Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics by Kane
Don't bother buying this now. You won't take Geriatrics until a mini-course during your second year.

Histology:
-Histology: A Text and Atlas by Ross
This is a good book, I think. Unfortunately, it's "integrated with cell biology" so there's a lot of cell bio in the chapters, which you probably won't appreciate during anatomy (Histo is included in your anatomy course). Many of the Histo slides you're tested on are straight out of this book, so you need it. You might appreciate it more once you read it for PBL, and you actually need to know about the cell bio.

Immunology:
-Basic Immunology by Abbas
I didn't like this book, mainly because our test questions must have come from another book's question bank. Everyone I know who did well used some other reference in addition to this book. Hopefully they solve that problem for your class. Also, we didn't hit Immuno until this semester, for what that's worth. They may switch things around next year, who knows.

Internal Medicine (Choose 1):

-Cecil Medicine by Goldman
-Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine by Fauci
These are expensive bricks of books. You'll have access to UpToDate, an online version of these books, for free via the library portal. On top of that, another online reference called Stat!Ref has a copy of Harrison's, so if you really want to read it, you can read it online. Many facilitators won't let you use these books in PBL anyway because they skip basic science details in favor of clinical details, which will burn you come exam time.

Microbiology:
-Problem-based Microbiology by Nath
-Schaechter's Mechanisms of Microbial Disease by Engleberg
We haven't used these yet. 2nd years said Nath's book is pretty good. Dr. Nath teaches here at LECOM... I wonder if that has anything to do with his book being required reading?

Neuroanatomy:
-Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases by Blumenfeld
I hate Neuroanatomy. Honestly, I just don't like it. But I will grudgingly admit that this book is pretty good. It includes TONS of clinical cases, which you may or may not find useful.

Neuroanatomy Atlas:
-Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structure by Haines
Pretty good. Can't say I used it much, though. You could probably get along fine without it. Our Neuro block was in 2nd semester, so you also might not need it right away even if you plan on buying it.

Integrative Clinical Nutrition:
-Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism by Gropper
$193.95--are you freaking kidding me? No way is this book worth that. You don't even use it that much in your nutrition course! I just read it in the library when I had to. If you insist on buying it, I'd try to find an international copy or something like that. Sheesh.

OMM:
-Foundations by Ward
-An Osteopathic Approach by DiGiovanna
If I were you, I really wouldn't bother with either one of these. If there's something important in the reading, Dr. Fotop will usually make a special point of telling you, and there are plenty of copies of these books in the library for such rare occasions.

Pathology:
-Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease by Kumar
It's the gold standard Path book. You'll need it. If you find doing questions helpful, you probably want to get the questions book as well. The mini book might be good if you're going to review. Your mileage may vary.

Physiology:
-Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology by Hall
Just to warn you, the section on EKG's sucks. Apart from that, the book is a good, easy read. There's a question book for it you might want as well.

Pharmacology:
-Basic and Clinical Pharmacology by Katzung
As good as pharm is going to get. The review book version of this text is also good, and has a number of questions for each chapter as well, some of which were astonishingly similar to some of our exam questions. If you're looking to save money, there's a copy of this available to you via Stat!Ref online... so you don't absolutely have to buy it if you can stand to read it on a computer screen.

Some tricks to save money... Don't be afraid to go back 1 version if you can find a cheap used copy. It'll be harder to follow along with your classmates, but the information doesn't change that much between editions; and by the time you finish your 2nd year, they'll all be out-of-date anyway. Such is life.

Another way to save money is to buy international versions. It is apparently legal to buy such books for use in the U.S., although I'm not sure the law on this has been tested. The books are identical apart from the covers, and are much cheaper.

Hope this helps. Digitl gave some similar advice to us last year, and it helped a ton.

Agreed with Altruist. I'll just add a couple of things.

1. Read Moore's Embryo online if you can. It's sooo much easier, because the figure references are all hyperlinked, so you can view them easily as you read, without flipping back and forth a billion pages.

2. EKG's: look up the EKG dance by Barone on YouTube. Awesome.

3. Get the Goljan path audio. Google it.

4. There may or may not be pirated Kaplan lecture videos out there. Ask around.

5. Flashcard Exchange website is awesome. The Krueger one-liners for anatomy are great for exams, as are the pharm ones.

Thank you both so much! Altruist that run down was WAAYY beyond what I was expecting (please read as you rock). Since they're so expensive it nice to know what you guys think are necessary from the get go and what books can be held off on....if only for a little while.

Thanks Altruist and Digitloize for all the input on the booklist...Very Helpful!!! :)

I agree 100% with Altruist's recommendations. I bought most of my books from bigwords.com. It gets expensive, but remember you'll use these books for both 1st and 2nd years.

Do most students just bring their laptops? Or is having a desktop as well beneficial?

Do most students just bring their laptops? Or is having a desktop as well beneficial?

I think most students just bring their laptops. I had to move across the country to start here, and went to the trouble of bringing my old desktop with me. It has sat in the corner of my closet since July. I never use it.

You might appreciate the larger screen when you're reviewing, or working on a few things at once. That's the main advantage I could see with having a desktop around.

I think most students just bring their laptops. I had to move across the country to start here, and went to the trouble of bringing my old desktop with me. It has sat in the corner of my closet since July. I never use it.

You might appreciate the larger screen when you're reviewing, or working on a few things at once. That's the main advantage I could see with having a desktop around.

Having a desktop is great for storing large files, is your laptop drive isn't huge. Some of the lecture video series that are out there are rather large (100gb or so each). Add to that audio lectures, iTunes music, and some ebooks, and a desktop with lots of storage that you can access remotely isn't a bad idea.

It's certainly not required though. If you have one, I'd bring it.

I use my Laptop for my Media (Music, Movies, TV Shows) and LECOM stuff, and that's all. I use my desktop for everything else, surfing, gaming, etc. Oftentimes, I'll have a movie or TV show on Hulu on in the background while I'm surfing the net, or Music on while I'm studying.

I have both, it pretty helpful while in bradenton but after going on rotations (i am a 4th yr) and hauling your stuff....it's better to have a large external. I passed along some notes and such to last you guys until you're an attending, I think it's around 380gb so get a large one.

Agree with Altruist, here's a few additional things...

Medical Dictionary:
Steadmans has a computer program, find it from somebody. Super easy and has pictures, videos and pronounciations.

General PBL cases:
-Integrative Medicine by Rakel
Bought this book then sold it after not opening it once first year. I've never once needed to go to the library to read it for any class. All I know about the book is that it was white.

Geriatric:
-Essentials of Clinical Geriatrics by Kane
So sad that you have to get this. We never had a text, and I would put it off as long as possible, or just read in the library if you need it.

Microbiology:
-Problem-based Microbiology by Nath
-Schaechter's Mechanisms of Microbial Disease by Engleberg
I have to say that I really did NOT like Nath's book. I didn't have a very strong micro background and I felt that the schaechters book did a much better job explaining things. Nath's book is just a bunch of cases.

Not that I think that the Schaechter book is the best either. I used alot of flashcards for Micro, two different sets and that was really how I learned micro.

Neuroanatomy Atlas:
-Neuroanatomy: An Atlas of Structure by Haines
You can definately do without the atlas, there are plenty of pics in the regular neuroanatomy boook.

Pathology:
-Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease by Kumar
Very good, very big! I got the baby path to review and Golijan's path book, which you will want for board review anyways! I also used flashcards for path which helped out!

Physiology:
-Guyton and Hall Textbook of Medical Physiology by Hall
Definately get the question book. They are re-doing their question bank this summer, but the previous bank had some questions directly from this book.

Pharmacology:
-Basic and Clinical Pharmacology by Katzung
Get the review book instead of the big book unless you like minutia. I have both and have not really needed the big book at all.

For Pharm in general, best thing is to get Lange's pharm flashcards. There were several questions from there. If you're a visual learner, the Lippincots illustrated review books are great, particularly the Pharm and Biochem.

Don't bother buying a first aid unless you can get an old version for a few bucks. You will want to buy the new version when you're doing board review.

Thank you guys SOO MUCH for taking the time to provide feedback about the books..!! It's hugely helpful! :) (Especially for those of us forced to minimize costs and/or having to hold off on anything-that-can-possibly-wait for the loan-check to come through, i.e. 2nd or 3rd week of classes...gah.)

You guys are the best!

Apparently my insurance does not cover the Hep B vaccine...wha??? So I have to pay $90 per dose!!! oy!
it's probably my fault because for some reason I never got the third shot when I was younger so I have re-do all doses again....so beyond broke at this point though :(

Apparently my insurance does not cover the Hep B vaccine...wha??? So I have to pay $90 per dose!!! oy!
it's probably my fault because for some reason I never got the third shot when I was younger so I have re-do all doses again....so beyond broke at this point though :(

You may be one of the lucky part of the population whose immune system will successfully take up the vaccine after only 2 doses (I know I only had 2 doses, and have immunity). The downfall is that you will have to pay for the titer (and then the shots if you do not have immunity). Look at it this way, it is a small investment in your future (but sucks to have to pay out of pocket)!

You may be one of the lucky part of the population whose immune system will successfully take up the vaccine after only 2 doses (I know I only had 2 doses, and have immunity). The downfall is that you will have to pay for the titer (and then the shots if you do not have immunity). Look at it this way, it is a small investment in your future (but sucks to have to pay out of pocket)!
look on the bright side, some of the places on rotations will want titers/levels again and you should be fully immune! either pay with money now or with time later. good luck, 18 days and I am outta here!

look on the bright side, some of the places on rotations will want titers/levels again and you should be fully immune! either pay with money now or with time later. good luck, 18 days and I am outta here!

yea...I'm gonna suck it up and just get it taken care of now while i have some time :cool: