LECOM-Br Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have made an official facebook group for LECOM-BR!! and another one for 2011 only!

if you have facebook, you should join =) LOL

just go to search and type in LECOM and you can add yourself to both the class one and the general one

Members don't see this ad.

Well I was accepted last week, and have not heard anything from the other schools that I was waitlisted at. So the wife the dog and I are going to be trading in the old TEXAS Horse and buggy for a couple of surf boards and a bottle of peroxide to give us that real beach bum appearance. Can't wait to meet ya'll, and I hope you get to have a little fun before the adventure of a life-time starts up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my letter in the mail!!! ACCEPTED!!! woohoo!!! Looks like I will be attending LECOM in the fall. I kind of fell in love w/ PBL, so I'm sooo excited to get started, also it will be such a nice change from Michigan weather! Can't wait to meet everyone! :laugh:

Sorry Guys,

I hoped to get to meet ya'll, but my acceptance to Erie came in today. We decided it was a better fit for us. Good luck and God Speed.

Congratulations to everyone who has already been accepted to the Class of 2011 for LECOM-Bradenton. I will be a 2nd year med student in the class of 2010, and I am looking for a roomate. I currently have my own place, but it is a spacious 2 bedroom/2 bath and my landlord really wants to be collecting more rent.... so it's time for me to find a roomate.

The place has all the usual amenties, is relatively new, and is close to the school, grocery store, etc.

I am a non-smoker and prefer no pets... generally I'm a morning person and I live a very healthy/active lifestyle. I'm non-traditional (31 years old), background is in nutrition and exercise physiology, and I'm very serious about school.... although I enjoy having fun and blowing off steam as much as the next guy when the time is right.

Anyone interested, please email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks!

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

is the white coat ceremony for 2nd year students?

has anyone recieved... their packet...if they are matriculating in aug???

i havent recieved anything.

Havent heard a peep out of LECOM-Br since getting the initial packet. I did however hear the sound of my bank acount taking a dive as they have cashed my deposit. I think they said that they would send some material later this spring, I dont remember when.

haha I hear ya! I just mailed my deposit check:cool: Looks like I am officially going to Bradenton!!!:love:

The email I received said that we would get matriculation packets in late Jan. so they should be coming soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just called and they said that they are shooting for mid feb.

has anyone thought about getting books yet? or starting looking for housing? just getting a little anxious here :p

I just got accepted, and may be able to give insight into a job for your husband. I am married with children. Let me know what he is looking for. I may be able to point you in the right direction, or give some insight ( maybe not, but it can not hurt). I have been in the area for over 10 years. I am a transplant from the northeast, but was originally from the midwest. If there are any questions I may be able to help you with, please ask.

has anyone thought about getting books yet? or starting looking for housing? just getting a little anxious here :p

Does the school provide a list of books to buy, or do we just go out and buy books that we think look good for each subject? If we're going to be studying in groups, I'd prefer it if we were all on the same page.
(pun intended :laugh: )

Does the school provide a list of books to buy, or do we just go out and buy books that we think look good for each subject? If we're going to be studying in groups, I'd prefer it if we were all on the same page.
(pun intended :laugh: )

The book list for the last class is here:

http://www.lecom.edu/bradenton/class_2010_booklist.pdf

The only problem is that I can't guarantee you that all of the books will remain the same. So...I would probably wait until the new list comes out. It should be soon. Besides, a couple of the books on last year's list already have new editions, so I'm sure that those will be updated.

When you do get the list, you won't need to have everything on day one. You will need your books for Anatomy, Histo and Embryo right away, though. You can purchase the Rohan's atlas, but if you join SOMA ($65 for 4 years) you'll get a free Netter's and a t-shirt). Some people prefer one or the other; I sed them both. You may want to look at them before deciding if you really want them both, though. I'd probably try to have Biochem, Phys, and Genetics ASAP. You'll need the Physical Exam book right away, but you won't need the 12 lead ECG book for a while. Either Harrison's or Cecil's will do you fine in PBL, but more people probably have Harrison's. It's also available in either a 1 or 2 volume set which makes it a little less cumbersome sometimes. I've never even seen either of the OMM books, but I have an A in the class. Pay attention in lecture and lab and you will do fine. You'll need Path and Pharm before the first semester is over, but you can wait until after you get your financial aid check to pay for those. One book you will absolutely want (but it isn't on the required or supplemental list) is Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory tests. It can get pretty expensive buying them all, and you don't have to have them all on the 1st day. I can't really think of anything else you need at first. There's usually a book company rep there during the 1st week in case you need to order some other stuff. You'lll hear a lot about the BRS series and other books that are good for you, but I'd really just wait for a bit before you even think of buying those. Spend your last free spring and summer thinking about something other than med school. You'll be glad you did:)

I've spent way too much time reading and keeping up with these posts and not posting. I just wanted to let you know I am looking forward to joining you all in next year's class!

By the way, did students from 2010 build that class site? It'd be great if we could get a version for 2011 going sometime, or at least commandeer a section of that one. But no rush.

By the way, did students from 2010 build that class site? It'd be great if we could get a version for 2011 going sometime, or at least commandeer a section of that one. But no rush.

I put the site together last summer, and it'd be no problem to add 2011 to the logo and set up some new forums for you guys if your interested. Just drop me a pm.

Once school gets a bit closer, wherever the c/0 2011's internet home base is, scpod or I can send an email out to the whole school and invite them to come by and say hi. Last year this produced LOTS of great advice...

has anyone started to look for apartments? Is there a place where most students live? I am trying to look online b/c i'm from Michigan and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction :) Thanks!

has anyone started to look for apartments? Is there a place where most students live? I am trying to look online b/c i'm from Michigan and was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction :) Thanks!

People live all over, but if I had to pick a top 3, I might guess the Springs, Colonial Grand, and the Tuscany. You are wise to start thinking about this process now - this area is growing like crazy and apt's close to school can be kind of hard to come by.

http://www.thetuscanyofsarasota.com/

Colonial Grand

I don't know of a website for Springs...I've posted this link before, but it might have some general info to get you started

If you have any questions about commutes to school, etc. just ask ;)

hey, has anyone started looking at apartments yet? if i came down early april, would i be able to put a deposit down for july...

i am interested in the springs of braden and the tuscany so far!

does anyone want to go with me in early april to look at places?

Thanks to yahoo news, all may reap the benefits of the housing market. A few days ago, I read an article on yahoo about the decline in housing sales. One of the top areas of decline for the country was stated as Braedenton/ Sarasota. It is possible for many to rent houses for less than apartments due to the owners not being able to sell. Many owners would rather rent their properties (at mortgage cost), than sell and loose value due to the housing decline. Just some food for thought. Keep that in mind and be aware of the future possibilities. For future entrepreneurs, buy and rent to future students.

I GOT INN!!!! Sooooooo...i sat down in the same spot in my kitchen where i opened up my letter regarding my MCAT scores (which i had good luck with..) and i decided to do the same this time w/ the letter from Bradenton... so i opened it and nearly put a hole in the ceiling w/ my head b/c i jumped so high...so NOW...its awesome. I am excited and incredibly stoked to be starting med. school down there in bradenton!! A quick question...has everyone completed their FAFSA app's yet? I know im prolly incredibly late on this, but any advice regarding all that financial stuff would be greatly appreciated...once again im happy and honored to be a member of the c/o 2011!!! Im sending in my check this week!

Thanks to all who helped me throughout the application and interview process!

peace,

Don

p.s. - when does the new book list come out ?

Thanks to yahoo news, all may reap the benefits of the housing market. A few days ago, I read an article on yahoo about the decline in housing sales. One of the top areas of decline for the country was stated as Braedenton/ Sarasota. It is possible for many to rent houses for less than apartments due to the owners not being able to sell. Many owners would rather rent their properties (at mortgage cost), than sell and loose value due to the housing decline. Just some food for thought. Keep that in mind and be aware of the future possibilities. For future entrepreneurs, buy and rent to future students.

True...in this area (I live in B'ton), you will now find an abundance of homes for sale and probably can make a good deal with either buying or possibly renting a house...however, keep in mind that if buying will still come with a lot of high costs (insurance is astronomical down here).

I completed my FAFSA last weekend. USF keeps sending me requests for it, so I thought LECOM probably would like it in the near future. When I interviewed they gave us the school code in the folder making painless to just renew with minimal changes. You say down here in Braedenton. Where are you from? I too am very excited to start medical school in the fall. I am especially looking forward to PBL!
I GOT INN!!!! Sooooooo...i sat down in the same spot in my kitchen where i opened up my letter regarding my MCAT scores (which i had good luck with..) and i decided to do the same this time w/ the letter from Bradenton... so i opened it and nearly put a hole in the ceiling w/ my head b/c i jumped so high...so NOW...its awesome. I am excited and incredibly stoked to be starting med. school down there in bradenton!! A quick question...has everyone completed their FAFSA app's yet? I know im prolly incredibly late on this, but any advice regarding all that financial stuff would be greatly appreciated...once again im happy and honored to be a member of the c/o 2011!!! Im sending in my check this week!

Thanks to all who helped me throughout the application and interview process!

peace,

Don

p.s. - when does the new book list come out ?

I too just completed my fafsa. It took me about 10 min to renew so it was quite painless. The school code is also on the website if you need it. I just started getting my physical and background check info together...this is quite an involved process. I know some members of the c/o 2010 view these posts so I just wanted to ask how much money you guys think we should have saved up for books BEFORE school starts. I am just wondering b/c I am running low on $$ already after the whole application process. So, how much did you guys have to spend on books before you got your loan checks? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Hey I just posted on the roomate forum on that LECOM website they sent us! Just thought I would get the ball rolling...
I'm assuming that is going to be our only form of roomate list? not sure though...

I too just completed my fafsa. It took me about 10 min to renew so it was quite painless. The school code is also on the website if you need it. I just started getting my physical and background check info together...this is quite an involved process. I know some members of the c/o 2010 view these posts so I just wanted to ask how much money you guys think we should have saved up for books BEFORE school starts. I am just wondering b/c I am running low on $$ already after the whole application process. So, how much did you guys have to spend on books before you got your loan checks? Thanks for any advice you can offer.

It's tough to put an actual dollar figure on it b/c some people buy old or international editions to save some cash. Also, I don't know what changes there may be to the booklist. The general answer is to have a nice chunk saved up, or do what I did and pick up a 0% for 6 months credit card, use it for books and other school incidentals and then just pay it off when the loan check arrives 2 weeks into the semester. You will probably have to do something like this since you will likely want your computer and some books before 2 weeks of class have gone by.

Also, be aware that even though basic sciences are empasized the first year, you might end up studying or reading about any subject related to the case. So, you will probably want some of the "advanced" books like path and pharm right off the bat. I had the idea that there would be some books I could hold off buying till second year, in reality, I ended up buying almost everything during the first semester and have used them all except micro.

Hi all - congrats to those getting accepted to LECOM Bradenton!

I am looking for a roomate for next year. I will be a 2nd year this fall and right now I live in a very spacious and new two-bedroom apartment by myself, fully furnished (furnished by the landlord and his son, another med student), however my landlord wants more rent and I need to find a roomate!

Heritage Harbour/Lighthouse Cove (~6 miles from school, close to Publix grocery store, 5 min from Walmart, 3 min. from I-75, State Road 64 exit. Also just up the road from the "Springs" on 64 (another popular condo complex).

I used to live in Colonial Grand, which is decent, but this townhome is far, far nicer than the 2 bedroom apt. I lived in at Colonial Grand, for the same money... definitely glad I moved! I can connect you with others who made the same move... it's a step up for sure.

Here are the details:

2 bedroom, 2.5 bath, washer, dryer.
cable is included, however I don't pay for a cable box and my tv isn't "cable ready"
community pool is literally 100 feet from my front door.
2 levels... kitchen, dining, living room, screened in lenai, and 1/2 bath down stairs..... two bedrooms upstairs, each with their own full bath, and a "study" as well. Oh, and it's very, very quiet.

Apt. is fully furnished, fully stocked kitchen, etc.

Rent is $575 + utilities (anywhere from $55/month to over $100 with full AC... just depends on the weather). Internet is available, however I don't subscribe currently.. it runs about $40/month

No pets, no smoking.

Interest?

Also.... if the right person came along, I am a personal trainer part-time and one of my clients in town has a BREATHTAKING, $800K, 3 bedroom condo that her dentist husband purchased as an investment. It didn't work out for me to live there, but I hooked up two classmates and they're moving out in June. It's 1600 square feet, two car garage, and they only want two tenets in the three-bedroom to prevent too much wear and tear.... it overlooks a lake and golf course, situated right by "Main Street Lakewood Ranch". Not furshished, but absolutely amazing. I'd have to check with them, but the current tenets are paying a total of $1200 to live there, + utilities, etc.

Of course, it has a full gym, pool, hot tub, club house, etc..... it's sick. It's very quiet too because it's upscale and most of the units were bought by investors, not people who live there.

If somone out there has the right furniture to set that place up, let me know, I'd jump into that other condo with someone who has the ability to furish a place in a second.

Just contact me if you want to know more.

thanks -
Mike
303-818-7983
[email protected]

Welcome and congrats everyone! I am a current first year student here at LECOM - Bradenton.

I just wanted to make everyone aware of a new apartment complex in Bradenton that another student just mentioned to me today. It's called Watermark and it's off of route 64. They are currently offering a special deal. http://www.210watermark.com/

The most commonly rented apartments by LECOM students are The Springs at Braden River, Colonial Grand at Lakewood Ranch, and The Tuscany.

Any questions, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Hi all:

I have lived at the Springs and have several friends at Colonial Grand.

210 Watermark is where I will be staying next year, right now they have a great special running and they consider Lecom students a "preferred employer" so you automatically get 50 off your deposit and a discount for your application fee and the first month $100 off. They are also, like the other post said running a really good special right now, 500 off first month, so a total of 600 off. They also, unlike Springs only charge a pet deposit, at the springs they charge an extra monthly fee. Colonial Grand I think, has gotten rid of their student discounts and raised rates....

At 210 Watermark, the floor designs a a little bit nicer I think, close to the river and near downtown which has different activities that go on. I will admit the only negative thing will be the traffic driving home after a later day, but if you learn the back roads that wont be a problem either.

Any questions please feel free to email and I am posting the flyer they gave me, the consultant I worked with was Jen and she was very helpful...

Below are the flyers cut and pasted

Preferred Employer  LECOM

Discover the lifestyle you were destined to live.
210 Watermark: Bradenton’s premier apartment community of
style and convenience, along the banks of the sparkling Manatee River,
and only a few miles away from LECOM.

As a student or employee at one of 210 Watermark’s Preferred Employers,
to apply for an apartment home you will only have to provide us with:

 $50 application fee per person ($75 married couple)
 $150 administration fee (discounted from $200)
$99 security deposit (discounted from $200)
(with approved credit)

You will also receive $100 off your first month’s rent!

So what are you waiting for? Call and make an appointment today so we can show you
your new address at 210 Watermark.

Office Hours:
Monday through Friday: 9AM – 6PM  Saturday: 10AM – 5PM  Sunday: 1PM – 5PM
210 3rd Street West  Bradenton  FL  34205
941-747-9932  [email protected]

At Home. On the Water.

Floor Plan Bed(s) Bath(s) Square Feet Price
Reef 1 1 678 Starting at $799
Tide 1 1 858 Starting at $899
Wave 2 2 1216 Starting at $1080
Sand 3 2 1510 Starting at $1375

Don’t forget to tell us you are with LECOM!

LEASE A LARGE 1 BEDROOM
TODAY AND RECEIVE $500 OFF!

* With a 12 month lease
* Special can end at any time

PET FEE: $300 per pet non-refundable
2 pet maximum. 70 pounds combined weight limit. No aggressive breeds allowed. Consult your leasing professional for details.

Office Hours: Monday – Friday 9PM to 6PM, Saturday 10AM – 5PM

210 3rd Street West  Bradenton FL 34205  PH: (941) 747-9932  FAX: (941) 747-9942

Hi Guys. As the new LECOM-B webmaster (a term used very loosely), I would like to invite students in the Class of 2011 to venture over to the "official" LECOM-Bradenton SGA Website. This should be a much more efficient way to find housing and roommates than sending mass emails. Not to mention it's a good way to get to know each other, organize parties before school starts, ask questions to current students, etc. Registration is required, feel free to pm me if you have any questions. See you soon!

Hey does anyone have a blank immunization report form 11-10/11-10A they could scan in and email to me? My doc lost mine and I don't really want to call LECOM unless I have to. Thanks.

Hey does anyone have a blank immunization report form 11-10/11-10A they could scan in and email to me? My doc lost mine and I don't really want to call LECOM unless I have to. Thanks.

Got it thanks.

Hi everyone! I just got back in town from my interview at Bradenton, and I'm praying I get in! I had a great experience in the area when I was there and didn't realize how much I would love the school. Did all of you that were accepted have a great interview experience? I thought I did okay but now I'm second guessing myself and I'm a little worried. I heard that the interviewers try to stay neutral throughout the interview and that's exactly what mine did! It's just more comforting when you get a smile and nod or can start a conversation during the interview, but I had a hard time with that on this go around!

blondydoc,

I got a really great feel from the school on my interview day. I, like youself second guessed alot of what I said in the days following the interview, but I am a very critical person. Ive rocked interviews before (or at least think I have, It might be different on the other side of hte table) and still second guessed myself in the days following. Its normal. My interviewers were not very emotional , and it was very tough to get a read from them, but I agree with you. I think thats normal. I would try ( easier said than done , I know) not to worry about it. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks for the advice mprover!

i'm not sure if any of you were originally waitlisted and then accepted to bradenton, but i'm currently waitlisted and i wanted to know who would be a good person to talk to to show my continued interest. i don't want them to forget about me, but i don't know if talking to heather morande or annette shively is going to help much since they're not on the committee. any advice?

how large is the incoming class approxmately for 2007? or ...rather what has the past year incoming class size been?

I believe we started with ~163.

I think you are right. Of course, it's down to 158 now...and who knows what it will be next sememster. There are always people who leave for one reason or another, as well as people you pick up who had medical problems or other things happen. But, the target range is somewhere around 150 to 160. 160 gives you 20 PBL groups; 152 gives you 19.

I am also posting on the LECOM - BR forum.

I am an incoming LECOM student looking to get an apartment/place sometime in July/07.

I am going down April 13-15 to look at and book a place.
I am looking for a roommate, prefers female, non-smoker, not too messy.

I am female, 22 years old, mostly active, clean, non-smoker.

Please contact me if you are coming down around the same timeframe or are interested in housing w/ me.

http://lecomsgabradenton.com/
This link is for our student government website.
Please go to the above link and go to the forum section. It has the best offers for finding a place to live. :thumbup:

http://lecomsgabradenton.com/
This link is for our student government website.
Please go to the above link and go to the forum section. It has the best offers for finding a place to live. :thumbup:

Even if you don't need a place, come on over and stick a pin in the map, post a picture, or introduce yourself. Get to know who you'll be spending the next two years with.:D

just wanted to tell you all, this summer I spent time working in Sarasota. At the clinic I was working with there were 3 MS III from LECOM-Br. They absolutely loved the program and loved the area. There was also a professor that was working at the clinic and he seemed very nice and helpful. I’m sure you guys are going to have a blast.