LECOM-Br Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LWestenhofer

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I made my decision and sent my deposit check last week. I thought I would start the official see you next year thread. Can't wait to meet you guys and get started!

Members don't see this ad.

I am definitely going to LECOM-Bradenton in the fall!!! I am sending in my deposit next week. I am so happy to know that the class is already coming together. I am so excited I can hardly wait...although I will enjoy my last summer.

i'm sending in mine next week as well, can't wait to see everyone there :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't sent mine in but I plan to soon! So where are you guys from? My name is Tara and I am from Tampa. I was in the same interview group as LWestenhofer.

My name is Beth, I am from Bradenton. Tara, I go to USF also what classes are you taking this semester? I am taking Physiology/L, Ecology/L, Animal Behavior, and Organic Evolution. Just wondering if you were in any of my classes...

My name is Beth, I am from Bradenton. Tara, I go to USF also what classes are you taking this semester? I am taking Physiology/L, Ecology/L, Animal Behavior, and Organic Evolution. Just wondering if you were in any of my classes...

I am taking Physiology lab (took the class last semester), genetics, Historical Perspectives of chem, anatomy and physiology/lab, and Maternal and child health.

For the Phys Lab, I have it Wednesday mornings at 9. The TA's name is Alan (he's great)!

Maybe one day we can meet, it would be nice to know someone going to LECOM next year! Just let me know.

I have Mon at 9:00 for lab. My TA is Kyle and he is very serious but he is ok anyways. My friend Erika is in that lab with you. That would definitely be cool to meet before next fall. What classes are you planning on taking next semester?

I have Mon at 9:00 for lab. My TA is Kyle and he is very serious but he is ok anyways. My friend Erika is in that lab with you. That would definitely be cool to meet before next fall. What classes are you planning on taking next semester?

Next semester.... I don't really know yet. I have to take orgo 2 lab because I haven't taken that yet. That's all I need to graduate but I still might go full time. I want to take a fairly easy semester. i was thinking of pharmacology though... I think it might help in med school. Besides the lab and pharm, I might just take fun classes like scuba diving or something along those lines. What are you going to take?

I am taking Human Genetics with Dr. Moore, medical botany and sign language. I think pharmacology would be a great head start class to take. Let me know when you have free time in your schedule so we can meet up.

Hi,
Congrats and your acceptance and decision to go to Bradenton. I just interviewed there last week and I guess I am just waiting to hear some news about it ( good .. I hope). I really liked the school...I was wondering what made you all decide on LECOM-Bradenton, other than maybe the most pefect location (sunny florida).

I think PBL sounds fabulous...yeah, they totally sold me on it. It sounds like a way to learn that would keep me interested and also helps maintain relevence of what you are studying. Also, the facilities are amazing. I really like their campus, it is above par as far as I am concerned. Those are the two biggest reasons. Also, I know someone who is already attending there and she said that the faculty and staff are extremely supportive and will do anything that they possibly can to help you succeed.

I think PBL sounds fabulous...yeah, they totally sold me on it. It sounds like a way to learn that would keep me interested and also helps maintain relevence of what you are studying. Also, the facilities are amazing. I really like their campus, it is above par as far as I am concerned. Those are the two biggest reasons. Also, I know someone who is already attending there and she said that the faculty and staff are extremely supportive and will do anything that they possibly can to help you succeed.

I strongly agree with this. I was really impressed with the campus and the facilities. Also I really think that PBL will give me a stong clinical background, something I feel is pretty important in a medical education.

I am from Tampa (not too far way) and Florida has always been somewhere I want to go to medical school at and practice, so it was important for me to stay here. Also my fiance has a really great job lined up for him in clearwater (also not far away) and so that was a factor as well. I would not go to LECOM based solely on that, in fact he is real supportive and wants me to go where ever I want to, it just helps to know that he will have a good paying job if I go to LECOM.

There will be different reasons for everybody. I hope that you enjoyed the school. I am so thrilled about going there next year. Now all that is left is to graduate...

Do you all know how the students in the class of '08 did on the Board Exam?
I was just wondering how the PBL impacted the average score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that they are pretty much following in the averages. There is not too much information for them and when I was interviewing, this question was brought up but all of the 3rd years had not recieved their scores yet.

I am taking Human Genetics with Dr. Moore, medical botany and sign language. I think pharmacology would be a great head start class to take. Let me know when you have free time in your schedule so we can meet up.

I will PM you.

Hey,
I got accepted a few weeks ago to Bradenton.. and I am going to be sending in my check next week... so looks like I will be joining you all :)

Hey,
I got accepted a few weeks ago to Bradenton.. and I am going to be sending in my check next week... so looks like I will be joining you all :)

Congrats! I look forward to seeing you there! :D

I sent in my check a few days ago (finally) and got the call yesterday that they recieved it. It's official now. :)

They never called me, but they cashed my check so I assumed everything was alright. Do you think I should call and make sure? So you are officially going?!? That is great! Hope your last semester goes well!!!

They never called me, but they cashed my check so I assumed everything was alright. Do you think I should call and make sure? So you are officially going?!? That is great! Hope your last semester goes well!!!

I think they might have called me because there was some confusion. In their computer, they had me listed as withdrawing :scared: They said they fixed it but I am still scared. I think I will call back and make sure everything is fine.

I was going to call them and make sure they recieved my check but then they called me. I would call to just double check. You can never be to safe.

Sending in my despoit Monday. Got accepted a week ago. Congrats to everyone!

I just received my acceptance letter today. I'm freakin' stoked!!!!!! It seems like a lot of you are from Florida. My name is Nancy and I'm from Southern California. I simply loved everything about LECOM while I was there!

Does anyone know if Bradenton has a pass/fail system their first semester or first year of school?

Bradenton does not have a pass fail system the first year. I spent some time at a university where freshmen were pass/fail first semester. My take on it was that it made students adopt an apathetic view towards classes. On paper, its great, it gives people chance to adapt, however in reality students just go out and party. I think we all know what we are getting into with med school, and its pretty much going to be sink or swim. This is just my take onit. Anyway, congrats to all.

Bradenton does not have a pass fail system the first year. I spent some time at a university where freshmen were pass/fail first semester. My take on it was that it made students adopt an apathetic view towards classes. On paper, its great, it gives people chance to adapt, however in reality students just go out and party. I think we all know what we are getting into with med school, and its pretty much going to be sink or swim. This is just my take onit. Anyway, congrats to all.
I agree with this 100%. We should all know what we are getting ourselves into by now and that it is going to be a serious commitment.

My name is Lindsey, native to Huntsville, Al. My husband and I are really excited! He is just starting to put in job apps.

I was told we would receive our matriculation packets in January- you guys hear the same? Can't wait to find out more.

I guess we will come down inthe next few months and start out in an apartment- we are hoping to buy a small house once we are in town, but I guess we will see.

Have ya'll been reviewing anything? Cause I feel like I should, but I sure haven't. Maybe after the holidays.

BTW, I did order and read an excellent book recommended by five or six med students at the hospital where I work- How to Excel in Medical School 3rd editin. I ordered it off of amazon.com- about $35. Bascially covers how to study for each class (i guess it may be less useful since our school has the awesome PBL system not many lectures). Really good read.

Well, congrats everyone, and I can't wait to meet you - and see you again Soccer885, a much less anxious reunion than our interview...

Hey Lindsey,

Congrats on the acceptance! Although Im done with classes for my masters, I think Im going to take an anatomy class. When I say take, I mean audit, Ive got to remind myself the next four years are going to be a long haul.

I also received an email from June that said we would be getting our matriculation packets in late January. I am so excited I can hardly wait.

So future classmates, how should I prepare for med school? Touch up on classes I struggled in? Should I retake biochem or is that completely unneccesary due to PBL?

So future classmates, how should I prepare for med school? Touch up on classes I struggled in? Should I retake biochem or is that completely unneccesary due to PBL?

Go to the beach, the mountains, Las Vegas, whereever...and have lot's of fun. The first 10 weeks will be kind of miserable in that you really will have little time to do anything but study and go to class. During that time you only have PBL once a week, but you will be in Anatomy/Histo/Embryo lecture and lab a whole lot. The incredible amount of information that you are expected to know will be overwhelming. It's not hard; it's just a lot. The best analogy I've ever heard is that med school is like trying to drink water from a fire hydrant. After the first 10 weeks, it gets a little easier, but you still have to be disciplined with your study habits. So...take some time and have a little fun first. You'll be glad that you did:)

BTW, congrats to everyone and good luck!!!!

Hey everyone!!

My name is Laurie May (but everyone here calls me May) Im an MS1 and luckily got through my 1st semester! THANK GOD!! Just wanted to welcome all of you who have decided to come to LECOM and to all who are awaiting a decision I wish you the best of luck and i hope to see you guys next year! If anyone has any questions or concerns..or just wants to chit chat about the school..pbl...surviving anatomy..or whatever! feel free to email me or im me. Good luck to you all and congrats again =)

[email protected]
aim: licenseddork

May MS1

I have a related question. I just got accepted the other day and although I plan to attend LECOM-Bradenton, I'm a bit nervous about the whole lack-of-lectures thing (I initially thought the PBL was on top of traditional lectures). What undergrad classes (besides the requirements for admission) are must-haves before entering LECOM-B? So far, I have taken human anatomy & physiology, general genetics, exercise physiology, and hope to get into biochem this semester.
With my lack of microbiology, pharmacology, neurobiology, human genetics, histology, immunology, etc... am I going to be completely lost in med school without lectures in these subjects?

Hey kermit

Believe me I was pretty worried about this whole PBL thing b/c all throughout undergrad it was all lecture based and I have had no experience with PBL type courses. I was a microbio major so I have never taken any genetics (unless you count microbial genetics lol), anatomy, physiology, neuro, cell molec...anything like that and i really wasnt worried too much about that. Because the point of all this PBL is for you to learn these subjects. I mean yes it is going to be an advantage if you do have some kind of background BUT it isnt necessary and you shouldnt stress about it. I mean there a number of non trads that are here and havent taken any other science course besides the pre-reqs and they're doing great in PBL! What PBL will teach you is to be self motivated and a self learner. You will get to learn the basic science courses and other related issues pertaining to the case you're working on and you will find your self reading more and more and actually wanted to read and find out more info on whatever subject your working on. So all in all, dont worry about it you wont be lost! Good luck with everything and cant wait to see ya next year =) Again, if you guys have any other questions feel free to ask or email me (my email should be above in a previous post somewhere lol)

May MSI

...am I going to be completely lost in med school without lectures in these subjects?

I'll just echo what May said and tell you that you won't be lost at all. You will find yourself spending an enormous amount of time reading for PBL, and 6you'll learn a great deal that way. It might help to have had some of those classes, but it's in no way necessary. The really cool thing about having PBL in small groups is that you have people with all kinds of different backgrounds. None of them are experts in everything. You will probably find that you have areas where you are behind the others, but you will also have areas in which you excel.

Done correctly, there is actually a lot of structure in the system.
There are four types of learning issues in PBL:
1) Those quick issues that can be covered during a group session
2) Those that the entire goup needs to read up on before the next session
3) Personal issues where you need self-improvement
4) Topics that the group wishes to be tested on

Identifying those "Type 3" issues is actually fairly easy, and you will have quite a lot of people to help you. You won't believe how many times you will hear the words "study partner" during your first semester. They expect you to spend a good bit of your time in group study-- they practically demand it. Trust me, there will be plenty of help for you when you need it-- not just from the first years; the second years are a great help too.

unfortunately i'm currently waitlisted at bradenton. does anyone know how their waitlist works? like whether it's possible to find out what rank you are, or how much movement there is? i don't know their numbers as far as how many people are accepted off of the waitlist, so any info would help. thanks!

unfortunately i'm currently waitlisted at bradenton. does anyone know how their waitlist works? like whether it's possible to find out what rank you are, or how much movement there is? i don't know their numbers as far as how many people are accepted off of the waitlist, so any info would help. thanks!

I kind of answered some of this in another thread, but I know several people who got in off of the wait list. They all spent a lot of time sending in new LORs, ECs, and grades, etc. They expressed interest and called for updates about every month. They will tell you that your file is being reviewed every so often, but for everyone that I know of, they didn't get accepted until the last month before school started. The list is not ranked until the very end. People that are likely to get accepted near the end are given a packet with the same material the matriculating students are given, so that they can get immunizations, physicals, etc., and not fall behind.

I have a related question. I just got accepted the other day and although I plan to attend LECOM-Bradenton, I'm a bit nervous about the whole lack-of-lectures thing (I initially thought the PBL was on top of traditional lectures). What undergrad classes (besides the requirements for admission) are must-haves before entering LECOM-B? So far, I have taken human anatomy & physiology, general genetics, exercise physiology, and hope to get into biochem this semester.
With my lack of microbiology, pharmacology, neurobiology, human genetics, histology, immunology, etc... am I going to be completely lost in med school without lectures in these subjects?

IMO, the most important thing you can bring to PBL is an interest in learning medicine. If you have that, and put in your time, you'll be fine. PBL is very different than lecture in that you can't just show up and expect to learn - you actually have to participate. A relatively small amount of the actual basic science learning happens during the PBL session - that two hours is mostly spent making the clinical connections that you won't find in your textbook. Being prepared for each session is key.

scpod is right about the fire hydrant (our last test covered about 40 chapters). It will probably take you a little while to figure out how to deal with this voume of info, but that will be true whether your curriculum is PBL or lecture based. Since the first year starts out with lecture for anatomy and slowly phases in PBL, you will have some time to adjust to PBL before it really kicks into high gear.

The curriculum here is pretty vigorous, but, in general, everyone here is very supportive and friendly. Congrats to everybody and feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Sorry to stray away from the topic of school, but what is the cost of living in Florida? I was wondering about how much students generally pay for electricity, water, gas, apartments, etc. Any bit of info would be awesome! Thanks!

Sorry to stray away from the topic of school, but what is the cost of living in Florida? I was wondering about how much students generally pay for electricity, water, gas, apartments, etc. Any bit of info would be awesome! Thanks!

I have a 3BR Condo that I have spent anywhere from $100 (in July) on electricity to <$70 last month. Water is about $28 to 30 (for two people). We have 80 channels of cable and high-speed internet that costs about $90 a month. That's all of the utilities. Apartments can really vary, and having a roommate is a great idea if you are single. My place costs about $1100/month. There are some more expensive and some less expensive. A one bedroom would be less expensive on total rent, but would cost you more in the long run than having a roommate. Theschool will send out a list every two weeks of people who want to find roommates and people who have places for rent. Hope that helps.

I have a 2/2 condo in west bradenton that costs $970/month. I rented in two different apartments before (both 2/2) for ~$750/month at each. Renting or owning a condo is very reasonable. Houses on the other hand are insanely priced.

where do you all recomend living? Is there decent housing in close proximity to the school .

where do you all recomend living? Is there decent housing in close proximity to the school .
There are a lot of apartments, condos and rentals close to school. Admissions will send you a spread sheet which lists all the prices and amenities of places close to school. Springs seems to be one of the most popular apartments.

You also might get some ideas from the website we put together last year - here's a couple links that might be useful:

apartment search,

moving tips for bradenton.

I'm in!!!

I also live in Tampa (USF) and I saw some of the other Bulls were going to meet. I would love to be included.

Please e-mail me at [email protected].

hey, has anyone started looking at apartments yet? if i came down early april, would i be able to put a deposit down for july...

i am interested in the springs of braden and the tuscany so far!

does anyone want to go with me in early april to look at places?

has anyone finished or started fin. aid yet?

Name: Nicole
School: USF- like most of you all

I already payed the deposit, but starting to have second thoughts...:confused:

Hi and Congrats to all new LECOMers!

I am currently a MSII at LECOM-B. I have a 2 bedroom/2.5 bath condo near campus that I will be available to rent beginning in June (I am moving to Philly for clinical rotations).

Some general info about the condo:

- Located 10 minutes from school in a small gated community
- Community has workout room, heated pool, jogging path around pond
- Good location near grocery stores, Staples, SuperTarget, Starbucks, Atlanta Bread Company, restaurants, etc; 15 miles from the beach
- Condo built in 2003
- 2 stories with 1/2 bath downstairs, carpeting and tile, granite countertops, screened-in lanai, large living space downstairs, 2 master suites upstairs, large closests (walkins), about 1300 square feet

This is just some general information. If you would like more info or to see pictures, send me an email. Also, if you have any other questions about the school or the area, feel free to ask. :)

Shelley

[email protected]