Latin vs. Spanish

justindaman1141

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm. So. Stuck.

Latin Pro:
  • It's a very interesting language.
  • Root of the Romance languages, and it'll 'help' when learning others.
  • Outstanding teachers.
  • Impressive for college?
  • Will help with scientific terminology and vocabulary in general.
  • It's cool af. How often do you know someone who can fluently speak Latin?
  • Enhances understanding of English grammar and vocabulary.
  • Ancient Roman culture is EPIC.
Latin Con:
  • It's very difficult.
  • Dead language, obviously.
  • It's an adjustment from Latin to other languages, like Spanish, because of very different sentence structure.
Spanish Pro:
  • I want to move to Southern California to practice medicine. Spanish will help me talk to almost 50% of the people there, including patients.
  • That means that it should be good, if not great, for employment prospects!
  • Easier language; it'll save me my sanity.'
  • I CAN GO TO MEXICO AND APPRECIATE REAL HISPANIC FOOD BECAUSE FOOD IS FRICKIN' LIFE BRUH.
  • More logical to pick a WIDELY spoken language?
  • I can learn this more in-depth, and that'll be more beneficial than choosing to continue with Latin in college.
Spanish Con:
  • The teachers are alright- they don't stand out as being amazing.
  • Not as fun or interesting. It's the language that we've all taken since elementary school, and I'm a little tired of it, though I have an affinity for it.
Keep in mind that I'd like to continue the same language throughout college.
Thanks!
Have a nice day.
Die dulci fruimini!
Que tengas un buen dia!

Members don't see this ad.

As a native Spanish speaker I might be a bit biased but

I recommend Spanish especially since your interested in the health field 'cause the amount of Spanish speakers in the states isn't exactly insignificant.

with spanish it also makes it very easy to learn other romance languages esp Portuguese and Italian. In fact, my parents are friends with this Brazilian family and after knowing them for most of my childhood I can understand 90% of what they say in Portuguese

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm taking Latin right now and let me just tell you this: You won't be able to speak it fluently ever. Oh and it won't really help you with English grammar really. English grammar is derived from Germanic roots, not Latin, but our vocabulary is 52.5% Latin so it'll help you on that front. Latin is hard but it is interesting, and you were right that it will be harder to transition to another language after Latin because of it's insanely complicated sentence structure.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a really interesting language to study it's just not really going to help you with much unless you learn basically everything and every Latin suffix and prefix and root. But you should take it if you want to, you'll probably enjoy it

Latin is worthless. Speaking Spanish is a MAJOR advantage and is a resume differentiator. I got my first job in research almost solely because the hospital where I work was desperate for a bilingual research assistant (1/3rd of the families here are Spanish only speaking). If you're interested enough in it, double major in Spanish (or at least minor) in Spanish in undergrad.

I would choose Latin. I am a 3rd year High school latin Student. I hate advanced latin, but can ace baby latin any day.

Spanish > Latin. Here in the U.S. knowing Spanish and English is a plus on any type of career.

Reactions: 1 users
Knowing Spanish will be more helpful to you in life than knowing Latin. I hear so many people say "I wish I spoke Spanish" on a regular basis, and those who speak Spanish seem to use it frequently, at least in health care . I've never heard anyone say that they wish they had taken Latin.

Reactions: 4 users
Knowing Spanish will be more helpful to you in life than knowing Latin. I hear so many people say "I wish I spoke Spanish" on a regular basis, and those who speak Spanish seem to use it frequently, at least in health care . I've never heard anyone say that they wish they had taken Latin.
\

You can speak latin too.

\

You can speak latin too.

Only at JCL conventions, not in conversation with people you may be taking care of.

I don't buy the vocabulary advantage of learning latin. Sure, when you get to anatomy your latin will tell you that 'linea alba' means 'white line.' It gives you zero advantage in learning muscle attachments, innervations, or the other gazillion facts you have to memorize.

Spanish all day, every day.

Only at JCL conventions, not in conversation with people you may be taking care of.

I don't buy the vocabulary advantage of learning latin. Sure, when you get to anatomy your latin will tell you that 'linea alba' means 'white line.' It gives you zero advantage in learning muscle attachments, innervations, or the other gazillion facts you have to memorize.

Spanish all day, every day.

If you go to Vatican city :)

Spanish my man. A language is learned primarily to be able to communicate with others. In addition, communicating with people who happen to speak that language is a helpful skill in the medical field. My mother is a practicing physician and when I shadowed her I had to try to translate things to her. It's a shame I'm taking Italian!

Having a functional knowledge of Spanish is incredibly helpful no matter where in the US you end up practicing medicine, and just for life in general. If you plan on being a doctor anywhere in California, knowing Spanish should basically be a requirement. Not having to wait for a translation phone or in-person translator basically makes you super-human when on the wards and out in the private sector.

Reactions: 1 user
If you plan on being a doctor anywhere in California, knowing Spanish should basically be a requirement. Not having to wait for a translation phone or in-person translator basically makes you super-human when on the wards and out in the private sector.

California, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania Florida, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico... basically anywhere that isn't the middle of nowhere:p

Biggest regret thus far in college? Not challenging myself to take a Spanish class each year.
I can't count the number of times being able to communicate with a Spanish speaking patient in my health care jobs (when a translator was not available) would have helped tremendously, and made a stressful situation much less hectic... :yeahright:

Reactions: 1 user