Would this just be a waste (Chinese vs Spanish in college)?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I learned Spanish in high school. I'm taking 3 years of it and I am almost at proficiency level. Basically I know most of the grammar and a bunch of vocab. All I need to do is memorize more vocab. But the thing is: in college I need to study a language so I can either continue with Spanish or switch to a different language. I've always be interested in China and Chinese culture so I am thinking about taking Chinese. Would it just be a total waste to abandon my Spanish education?

*Note: My high school doesn't offer Chinese which is why I'm not taking it.

Members don't see this ad.

Personally I'd continue Spanish. I took 3 years of it and think stopping would have been a waste really, because there's never any guarantees with the next language. I just feel like if you're so close to speaking fluently, why stop now?

I learned Spanish in high school. I'm taking 3 years of it and I am almost at proficiency level. Basically I know most of the grammar and a bunch of vocab. All I need to do is memorize more vocab. But the thing is: in college I need to study a language so I can either continue with Spanish or switch to a different language. I've always be interested in China and Chinese culture so I am thinking about taking Chinese. Would it just be a total waste to abandon my Spanish education?

*Note: My high school doesn't offer Chinese which is why I'm not taking it.

I think you should continue Spanish. I don't know about you, but I live in an area where nearly half of the population are illegal immigrants who speak very little english. It has gotten to the point that it is almost impossible to be hired at the local hospital unless you are bilingual - English/Spanish.

You should also check out your university's course catalog. My university offers a "Spanish for Pre-Health Professions" course that goes into communicating with non-English speakers in a clinical setting. I haven't taken any Spanish so I'm not eligible to take it, but I'd highly recommend it for you.

I don't think you should abandon Spanish in favor of Chinese. If you want to take Chinese, take it after you take some college level Spanish courses. Being bilingual, especially English/Spanish in the US, is a very valuable skill and looks great on basically any resume/application. If you can become fluent writing/reading/speaking, it will aid you in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you should abandon Spanish in favor of Chinese. If you want to take Chinese, take it after you take some college level Spanish courses. Being bilingual, especially English/Spanish in the US, is a very valuable skill and looks great on basically any resume/application. If you can become fluent writing/reading/speaking, it will aid you in the long run.

that^ my opinion put in a more elegant way lol :thumbup::thumbup:

Spanish without a doubt. Speaking Spanish fluently WILL ABSOLUTELY help you at some point in your life especially if you continue on to medical school/residency etc. I am wicked jealous of those who can speak Spanish because using the language line interpreted is a pitta.

Chinese might come in useful too, we will likely all be forced to learn it when they take us over anyway so I would just wait until then:scared:

Survivor DO

If you're already close to proficiency and only need vocab, you can probably achieve it on your own. Keep your skills sharp in Spanish and you'll still be able to list it as something you're fluent in.

Take Chinese if it will make you happy. I'm sure it would be much harder to learn Chinese on your own.

All good points.