KU Med Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
stoic said:
is anyone else in class right now? enzyme regulatory mechanisms are not interesting.

Not in class now, but I'm planning on going at 9:00 -- I find Dr. Klein sort of amusing and am hoping to pick any tips for the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, best of luck on your exams tomorrow and be sure to enjoy the hell out of the weekend......just don't get too drunk and decide to burn Kiertzenbaum in effigy......but by all means burn the biochem book cuz god knows it makes a better fireplace log than a reference :horns:

I would burn the biochem book, but, Helmkamp wrote one of the chapters.. which means that he will abuse the hell out of it when it gets tested :(

Which reminds me, Klein cowrote that Pretest book... back to studying for me /burnout

Members don't see this ad :)
ForbiddenComma said:
I would burn the biochem book, but, Helmkamp wrote one of the chapters.. which means that he will abuse the hell out of it when it gets tested :(

Which reminds me, Klein cowrote that Pretest book... back to studying for me /burnout

I don't want to call it burnout one month into school, but I think I'm approaching the point of diminishing returns with regards to preparation for this test. That is a bad thing because I still know nothing about @#$@#$# embryology. Good Luck Tomorrow Everyone.

two tests down....you all still hanging in there?

evajaclynn said:

barely. i just don't want to retake this year--that sounds unbelievably painful.

evajaclynn said:

hey, shouldnt you be in the cell motility lecture right now?...we got to watch a clip from the movie "wayne's world" in class. definitely missing out on good times.

uhhhh, yeah, that waynes world clip is about the most entertaining thing you'll see in class during first year.........i hope you enjoyed it :scared:

i don't know, klein's limb bud ballet was pretty entertaining. and genders graphical interpretation of the female orgasm was quite educational :thumbup:

felipe5 said:
uhhhh, yeah, that waynes world clip is about the most entertaining thing you'll see in class during first year.........i hope you enjoyed it :scared:

There's an electrophys supplementary lecture tomorrow (9/10) at 10am at WHE. I just hope there's something for CTB... those tests are brutal, more so than Biochem which surprised me the first go-around. It was biochem that made me go :scared: and I did not study enough for Klein's. Now I'm worrying that I'm not studying enough on genetics and have the reverse problem... simply planning out your studying is surprisingly hard.

On the other hand, my preceptor rocks. Can't wait for my next visit :thumbup:

I hope that you guys are having fun so far! Don't work too awfully hard, you forget all that crap anyway! Binge and purge is the name of the game!! :)

Two rounds of tests down... how's everyone feeling? While I'm ok with my performance so far, although to be honest, I'm surprised (disappointed) that I haven't been able to get better grades on the exams. First block I studied too much biochem, too little CTB. Second block I studied too much CTB, too little biochem and definitely not enough physiology. Actually, I think that I'm studying enough its just trying to figure out what to emphasize that trips me up. Overall, I'm getting "sats" although with little or no room to spare -- it's a bit unsettling to have no cushion and to be number crunching all of the time. All of that being said, I'm still having a blast.

electrophys is the worst physiology block by far. hang in there, it gets better :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
lilmo said:
electrophys is the worst physiology block by far. hang in there, it gets better :thumbup:

I'm really glad to hear that. My wife is starting to doubt my capabilities (I have zero doubt that I can do it, but without her support it will be much more difficult). I don't have much of a science background, especially cellular and chemistry stuff, so I expected to struggle a little in biochem and ctb but I also thought that anatomy and physiology would be areas of strength for me. I was planning on using them to balance my lower scores, but so far that hasn't quite worked out the way that I planned it. Despite showing improvement across the board, she has asked me several times if I'm going to be able to pass med school and be competitive for residency. I keep telling her that I've got to crawl before I can walk -- besides, despite starting behind most of the class, I feel like I'm catching up. "Sats" are good enough for now, especially if I score well on the boards, aren't they?

Soup,

Hang in there.. "surviving" is all you need to be doing for now, according to what I hear. "C"s here aren't the poison they are in "normal" college. I'm pretty much locked in for a C in biochem myself, since the course is already 2/3 done.

The number one thing residencies look at is your Step 1 score. Grades are too variable across the breadth of U.S. med schools, especially when so many use pass/fail. And besides, the grades that do matter the most are your 3rd year clinicals.

Tell your wife that C's are quite normal, and very few people maintain the same kind of GPA they had in undergrad. Just reel in a couple high-sats in Gross and ICM and you should be good to go.

although I know what you mean, that first CTB test was a real confidence-shaker... :scared:

OwnageMobile said:
All quiet on the KUMC front-
you guys ok?

It depends on what you mean by ok.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm loving waking up in the morning, staring at my gross anatomy and phys syllabi all day and then going to bed. Then waking up the next morning (repeat earlier sentence here). :eek:

Its not so bad, but its definitely tiring and repetitive. Still, can't complain too much b/c I'm glad I'm here, and not wondering what I'm going to do with my life (like I was last year at this time).

Good luck everyone on your tests - and don't forget about our party afterwards. :D

Let me be the second to wish everyone good luck on this round of exams. By the way, has anyone else noticed their classmates becoming a little more sensitive/confrontational, especially in the gross lab?
--"that's a vein"
--"no, that's a nerve"
--"you're both idiots it's a rib"

Anyways, good luck and don't wear youselves out too much trying to cram.

hey 1st years.........just wanted to wish you all good luck on your upcoming anatomy exam. Don't forget to look at Ender's pretest sections :horns:

oh and soup, you'd be surprised at the crazy mistakes that you can make in lab.......evajaclynn's boyfriend and I where once fascinated over this crazy liver that we found in lab unlike any other one we'd seen before.......I swear we looked at it for minutes, probing around in awe of its uniqueness...........it ended up being a hemi-sected female pelvis. freakin' hilarious

Soup said:
Let me be the second to wish everyone good luck on this round of exams. By the way, has anyone else noticed their classmates becoming a little more sensitive/confrontational, especially in the gross lab?
--"that's a vein"
--"no, that's a nerve"
--"you're both idiots it's a rib"

Anyways, good luck and don't wear youselves out too much trying to cram.

Mid-block break. How's everyone doing? I thought that the Anatomy Lab test was more difficult than I expected and I thought that the written exam was pretty fair (although more radiology questions than I would have guessed).

That's about what I thought. The cadaver part was rough. Makes me wish they'd throw out at least a few undergrad-level questions as gimmes. Like, wrap the tag around the entire heart and ask, "True or False: This is a lung." I'd at least have a 50/50 shot on that one.

yea, i agree that the lab part was tough. at least tougher than the written part. oh well, life goes on. hopefully we all survive physiology tomorrow...

now who's gonna get drunk tomorrow?

lilmo said:

Electrophysiology sucked, Dr. Wood and Cardiac Cycle were much better. What can we expect for respiration? Any suggestions for success?

Soup said:
Electrophysiology sucked, Dr. Wood and Cardiac Cycle were much better. What can we expect for respiration? Any suggestions for success?

I taught myself respiratory out of BRS---dr. gonzales' notes were super confusing. Do lots of practice problems. I think our exam last year was drastically different than the old exams, so don't rely on them for a lot of repeat questions. Good luck!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

yeah, lilmo is pretty much right on........this is another phys block where the more practice questions you do (especially those written by Gonzalez himself), the better you will probably do on the exam. We were told to heavily concentrate on past exams, and despite this our class as a whole was pretty much bent over and given a hardy spanking by the respiratory exam. Respiratory phys has some tough stuff to get down, and to be honest with you I never really fully understood some of the concepts. Some people go all out and buy that little respiratory phys book, but I found that studying the notes was just fine.....be ware though, his notes (at least for us) were printed with a super tiny font size.....i swear respiratory phys was responsible for at least 1/2 of the decline in my vision that has occured over these past years. Good luck all :horns:

What the hell is wrong with our Physiology Dept.? Where do they find these guys (Gonzales). I did all the study the questions, all the BRS question, all the old tests (including the infamous 2004), and the online practice test until my fingers bled. Yet, despite all of that, I get in the exam and guy's asking questions that make me look around to make sure that I'm in the correct room. Furthermore (hey look, I'm on a rant), isn't exam writing 101 to make the letters of the points on your graph match the letter options in the answer bank -- not point A on the graph is answer C

Soup said:
What the hell is wrong with our Physiology Dept.? Where do they find these guys (Gonzales). I did all the study the questions, all the BRS question, all the old tests (including the infamous 2004), and the online practice test until my fingers bled. Yet, despite all of that, I get in the exam and guy's asking questions that make me look around to make sure that I'm in the correct room. Furthermore (hey look, I'm on a rant), isn't exam writing 101 to make the letters of the points on your graph match the letter options in the answer bank -- not point A on the graph is answer C

dude, sounds like what happened to our class last year. welcome to med school. hang in there :thumbup:

Soup said:
Furthermore (hey look, I'm on a rant), isn't exam writing 101 to make the letters of the points on your graph match the letter options in the answer bank -- not point A on the graph is answer C

yea i think this is actually pretty ****ed up. a lot of people are gonna miss points b/c of this... it'll be interesting to see the results.

stoic said:
yea i think this is actually pretty ****ed up. a lot of people are gonna miss points b/c of this... it'll be interesting to see the results.

i hope you guys get the points back, it'll be the first challenge tarr has accepted in years i think! last year he pretty much laughed in our faces when we submitted challenges. he's a nice man, just insanely smart. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Stoic, you've been syncytiotrophoblasting for a while now. How's that going?

Soup said:

I had visable tremors...!!! point A was C....Oh...S...
Then, when I looked @ my test. They matched. if i picked answer A., it corresponded to Letter A below. The "test bank" they use must sort 'em as answers so we don't cheat :sleep: Mine was in the correct order.

I say, mix up the questions, but keep the letters straight. As far as cheaters... I say let 'em try and cheat, it usually ends up making them think about...did they see me cheat...what if i'm caught..., etc...

They end up thinking about everything but their test and I gotta tell ya...my brain was cooking all the way up until the last few minutes, so I think attempting to cheat is just too hard, not worth it and I certainly wouldn't want one as my doc. I think I handed it in a minute before dr tarr asked everyone to turn it in. It wasn't that you couldn't figure it out... it was when you weren't sure, you had to eliminate every other answer. That makes for a long grueling afternoon. :eek:

dr4ku said:
I had visable tremors...!!! point A was C....Oh...S...
Then, when I looked @ my test. They matched. if i picked answer A., it corresponded to Letter A below. The "test bank" they use must sort 'em as answers so we don't cheat :sleep: Mine was in the correct order.

I'm curious to find out how many weren't so "lucky."

Soup said:
I'm curious to find out how many weren't so "lucky."

If I didn't have the correct letter corresponding to how I answered the question, I would be up to Dr. Tarr's office prior to him handing out grades!

I think they are having some battles up there anyway. I hope it isn't "Well, the whole d... class bombed it. Now what?" type of conversation. I know that Rggi hasn't been able to take the test because of his fathers passing, but it seems a little odd that Dr. T. hasn't mailed out, at least the grade. We don't need to see the answer key yet and surely they are going to give Rggi another test form anyway. Maybe not, Reggie isn't one to cheat anyway.

cheers...we're almost there! :D

I can't believe I passed that CTB exam... not by a whole lot, mind you, but still.

Yeah, that "A. Point C / B. Point A" business had me debating the pros and cons of quitting med school and finding a new rewarding career in the food service industry.

I had no idea about Reggie's dad tho... :(

Yeah - I heard about Reggie's dad. Poor guy!!! I don't know how I could handle something like that while going to med school. I talked to him last week about it and he is such a nice guy - hopefully he'll be able to make it through this all right. Dr. Tarr is pushing for him to take the test asap - last I heard he would be taking it this coming Wednesday. Still - its dumb for Dr. Tarr not to send out an answer key. I am sooooo ready for this freaking semester to be over with!!!!

[looks left, looks right, shrugs] Nobody in sight. It must be getting down to crunch time.

[looks left, looks right, shrugs, tries to cross the street, gets hit by a bus... ] must be my lucky day

stoic said:
okkkkkkk well, that anatomy exam was insane.

i might still pass the class.

It was really difficult -- so difficult that I wonder how it could be fair evaluation of everyone's knowledge. I mean, why bother investing the time and effort trying to learn the anatomy if the test is going to be impossible regardless? (I've whined more in the last 4 months than in the previous 4 years and I don't know who to blame -- probably myself).

And we've completed our first semester at KU Med!!!! Congrats all! :)

evajaclynn said:
And we've completed our first semester at KU Med!!!! Congrats all! :)

A nice reminder that the bottom line can be the most important and the most rewarding. Congrats to everyone for surviving and moving on.

Happy last day of winter break

:mad: +pissed+ :barf: :mad:

boy, it's great that we go back to school so early. i mean, if we didn't go back till the 20th, think of how much less we'd learn!

so much negativity on this thread lately - you mean you guys aren't finding GI to be unduly exciting and rewarding? I just finished reading all about diarrhea and dysentery - doesn't get much better than that!!!

evajaclynn said:
so much negativity on this thread lately - you mean you guys aren't finding GI to be unduly exciting and rewarding? I just finished reading all about diarrhea and dysentery - doesn't get much better than that!!!

It's been so slow on this thread that I thought for sure it was something I said. As for GI -- it's actually been better than I thought it would be. I'm little worried though that I may be underestimating it. It just seems to be making too much sense to me.

Soup said:
It's been so slow on this thread that I thought for sure it was something I said. As for GI -- it's actually been better than I thought it would be. I'm little worried though that I may be underestimating it. It just seems to be making too much sense to me.

That's what I thought about GI too, until I walked into the lab practical. Yikes! That was definitely my worst test by far :( I think Dr. Bast was out to get us for letting our intestines dry up or something.

yeah dude, that practical was really tough come to think of it! i hated how they covered up the upper and lower parts of the body so you couldn't get orientated whatsoever. I still say that pelvis was the toughest section though

felipe5 said:
yeah dude, that practical was really tough come to think of it! i hated how they covered up the upper and lower parts of the body so you couldn't get orientated whatsoever. I still say that pelvis was the toughest section though

dude, pelvis wasn't so bad as long as you could tell the difference between a liver and a uterus. though i suppose the portal vein does look a bit like a rectum :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: