KU Med Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KSU_MASH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if there is already one of these threads. I could not find one. If there is someone point me in the right direction.

Michael :)

Members don't see this ad.

KSU_MASH said:
I don't know if there is already one of these threads. I could not find one. If there is someone point me in the right direction.

Michael :)

Hey Michael,

Most of the people have been posting on the "Anyone heard from KU" thread but this is as good as any. I wish I could post here but I'm still waiting to hear something.

Out of curiousity, when did you hear that you got in?

I heard on the Saturday the 20th by snail mail. I was one of the lucky ones to get accepted on the first letter. I think there will be more to come in March. Good Luck.

Michael

medmonkey said:
Hey Michael,

Most of the people have been posting on the "Anyone heard from KU" thread but this is as good as any. I wish I could post here but I'm still waiting to hear something.

Out of curiousity, when did you hear that you got in?

Members don't see this ad :)
KSU_MASH said:
I heard on the Saturday the 20th by snail mail.
Michael

welcome aboard, although i'm a bit wary of your wildcat allegiance.

just kidding :) . congrats and see you this fall!

Hey guys - great idea to get an 'official' thread going. Sounds like there are quite a few KU med students here that will be starting in August 2005. I'm excited to begin, though I'm sure that enthusiasm will wear off by the middle of August. Oh well - we can party hard during orientation week! :hardy:

I have not gotten a letter from KU yet but I wanted to give this a bump so any recently admitted future kansas jaydocs can post here since it is "official"

Hopefully there will be several posts here in the next few days

I was an Early Decision, and I'll be there in 2005, barring catastrophe.

See you then!

Early decision here as well. I'm looking forward to school in August...I'm just not sure how long I can keep studying for my classes right now. Bowling is so hard.

Hey guys. I still cannot totally believe it, but I will be joining you in August. This despite the fact that I graduated undergrad from MU! :D let's all go out to the bars and make complete fools out of ourselves during Orientation Week.

ForbiddenComma said:
let's all go out to the bars and make complete fools out of ourselves during Orientation Week.

Sounds like a plan! :)

hi all. well, i got my letter today and i'm an alternate, in the 40's. so is that just a super long shot? any idea of how many they take, they say it always varies but i'm sure there's an average. i just want to start planning for next year and now i have to put it off even further. ugh!! i thought maybe evajaclyn would have an idea, i know your bf found out late-and is doing really well!!! :thumbup: just wanted an honest opinion. i find it hard to believe that over 40 people would decline acceptance. thanks!

i got put on the alternate list yesterday as well

I am well below the 40's though, closer to the 80's

Members don't see this ad :)
Datko said:
i got put on the alternate list yesterday as well

I am well below the 40's though, closer to the 80's

I am so sorry to hear that. :( I hope that something works out for you Datko!

dulcinea said:
hi all. well, i got my letter today and i'm an alternate, in the 40's. so is that just a super long shot? any idea of how many they take, they say it always varies but i'm sure there's an average. i just want to start planning for next year and now i have to put it off even further. ugh!! i thought maybe evajaclyn would have an idea, i know your bf found out late-and is doing really well!!! :thumbup: just wanted an honest opinion. i find it hard to believe that over 40 people would decline acceptance. thanks!

Hey Dulcinea~ You're right, my boyfriend was in the low 40's on the wait list and he was accepted the first week of June. Its a long wait, but it could still definitely happen for you. :luck: :luck: :luck: I hope that it will all work out.

What's up guys? I'll be starting at KUMC next fall and I can't wait. It's pretty cool that we are well represented on SDN.

How are you guys doing with staying focused on classes this sememster? I've pretty much completely checked out from undergrad at this point...

has anyone received the "information packets" that were supposed to be sent out sometime in february? i'm kind of itching to put down that official deposit to hold my spot in the class...

nope! nothing here....

phleebie said:
has anyone received the "information packets" that were supposed to be sent out sometime in february? i'm kind of itching to put down that official deposit to hold my spot in the class...

every three weeks or so I panic and call them, frantic that i have been dropped, my admission revoked, my med-school dreams placed on hold for a year. the very nice Peggy H. said that they are going to try and send them this week. and not to worry (short of getting arrested for something nefarious they don't drop anyone and are very much in contact with if they do). so soon enough.

lowlandgorilla said:
every three weeks or so I panic and call them, frantic that i have been dropped, my admission revoked, my med-school dreams placed on hold for a year. the very nice Peggy H. said that they are going to try and send them this week. and not to worry (short of getting arrested for something nefarious they don't drop anyone and are very much in contact with if they do). so soon enough.

Hey lowland - you moving down here from NY? Any connection to KS? Congrats on being accepted! Oh, and thanks for the new info!

lowlandgorilla said:

cool--thanks for the info! :thumbup:

I opened my letter yesterday and I am also on the alternate list... sort of a purgatory :scared:

Does anybody know if people put into a 'alternate' list usually send updates or anything to improve their standing or is it already set by the initial rankings? Thanks.

usandylim said:
I opened my letter yesterday and I am also on the alternate list... sort of a purgatory :scared:

Does anybody know if people put into a 'alternate' list usually send updates or anything to improve their standing or is it already set by the initial rankings? Thanks.

I don't know that there's anything you can do to improve your ranking once its set. It wouldn't hurt to call the admissions office and see what they have to say about it. The list moves pretty quickly though. Last year, it got to the 40's by the first week of June. I don't know how far it moved after that. Good luck. :luck: :luck: :luck:

Stoic - I have no idea about the initial deposit. Do you know, Phleebie?

By the way, I just received notice that scholarship apps are due March 25. That's only 10 days from now! So all you fellow March accepteds better hustle if you want a chance at the free cash. It should be in your AMCAS email.

Oh and get the ball rolling on your financial aid apps too. First step is to get your PIN number from the fed'ral gummint, www.pin.ed.gov. Of course, since it's the government, it takes them 3 days to process this simple request :)

evajaclynn said:
Stoic - I have no idea about the initial deposit. Do you know, Phleebie?

no clue. but i do remember peggy heinin? (i think it was her) talking about a deposit fee which will include the cost of a now mandatory background check. which of course we have to pay for. i'm not worried about the amount though--i just want to make this thing official and move on with my life. it's been a long, drawn out process.

by the way, i'm already about to **** my pants thinking about the hawks playing in this tournament; we've got a pretty tough road ahead of us (if not the toughest in the tournament). but a unc vs. ku elite eight game would be a college basketball fan's wetdream. there's no way the ncaa committee "accidentally" set that one up. i'm already getting goosebumps...

ForbiddenComma said:
By the way, I just received notice that scholarship apps are due March 25. That's only 10 days from now!

whoa--my email from valerie poulson says that the applications were due on tuesday march 1, 2005. maybe it just depends on went you went through the selection process. i'll try to find out for sure though....

My good friend is currently on the waitlist. We were wondering whether the waitlist historically moves much. If so, how many were taken from the waitlist in past years? Thanks for the help!

stoic said:
does anyone know how much the initial deposit is?

the very nice peggy h. said $50.00. I do not recall her mentioning a back ground check fee; however i do vaguely remember something about that back at the interview

phleebie said:
whoa--my email from valerie poulson says that the applications were due on tuesday march 1, 2005. maybe it just depends on went you went through the selection process. i'll try to find out for sure though....

yeah - ours said march 1st. maybe it varies?

k-monger said:
My good friend is currently on the waitlist. We were wondering whether the waitlist historically moves much. If so, how many were taken from the waitlist in past years? Thanks for the help!

Last year it reached high 40's in the first week of June. Don't know how far it went after that.

phleebie said:
by the way, i'm already about to **** my pants thinking about the hawks playing in this tournament; we've got a pretty tough road ahead of us (if not the toughest in the tournament). but a unc vs. ku elite eight game would be a college basketball fan's wetdream. there's no way the ncaa committee "accidentally" set that one up. i'm already getting goosebumps...

I know - its exciting! I can't wait for the games to begin. It would be crazy to see UNC and KU to face off!!!! As long as KU comes out on top. :)

I'll be there in August! And I'm moving from NY so I won't know anyone at all. Who wants to be my friend??

Well, I feel better now. I was disappointed when I received a letter on Monday (14) that I was on the alternate list, but I am #10, so I guess that's not too bad. Congratulations to everyone who was accepted. I hope to see you in August. Also, good luck to everyone else on the wait list.

Nate

medicEZ said:
I'll be there in August! And I'm moving from NY so I won't know anyone at all. Who wants to be my friend??

I'm going out for my birthday this Friday - you want to come down a little early and get to know some people? :D We'll be cheering on KU as they squash Bucknell!!!

nateksu, you should have no problems if you are #10. See you in August.

I'm going out for my birthday this Friday - you want to come down a little early and get to know some people? We'll be cheering on KU as they squash Bucknell!!!

Which place are you going to? Toss me a PM, I'll see if I can stop by and holla at a classmate-to-be ;)

ForbiddenComma said:
nateksu, you should have no problems if you are #10. See you in August.

Thanks for the encouragement.

What up fellow KU med students. Ill be joining you down in Kansas athough Ill always be a Washingtonian. Go #1 dawgs :cool: . Any one else from outside of the Kansas area?

Later

Man, oh, man. What exactly has happened to the Hawks?

Bucknell? Bucknell??? I've never even heard of that school! Plus they have what has to be the worst uniforms in all of college basketball. They look like walking basketballs themselves! And we lose to THESE jokers?

/vent

Anyone here familiar with the changing vision for KUMC. I cant find anything on it but does anybody have the old vision or mission statement before Atkinson took over. I thought I remember KUMC having a focus on supplying kansas with primary care physicians with a strong emphasis on kansas residents. It seems now that they are focusing a lot on the research side of things and trying to put KUMC on the mapy (US News map that is).

Does anyone else have any thoughts or concerns about this?

Here is the current vission and mission

Our Mission
The University of Kansas School of Medicine commits to enhance the quality of life and serve our community through the discovery of knowledge, the education of health professionals and by improving the health of the public.

Our Vision
The University of Kansas School of Medicine will work with its partners to become the premier academic medical center in the region known for its excellent education, innovative scientific discovery, outstanding clinical programs and dedication to community service. It will be known as the place where everyone wants to come to learn, to teach, to conduct research and to receive his or her health care.

Alright guys I'm psyched up to come to KC, Got accepted in December, and have been working frantically to get all this scholarship stuff and FAFSA done. I'm originally from denver and although I'm in the minority, I m sick of Denver and can't wait for school to start. Fortunately I graduated one quarter early, so I feel for those of you still in classes, I'm not sure I could finish strong.

Anyone from the area what to let me know where the best places to live are. House or apartment (though from past experiences, I'd prefer a house to rent). I'm not opposed to a bit of a drive... especially since traffic in Kansas is nothing compared to the mess on Colorado roads.

See you in August!

Caesarsgrl said:
Alright guys I'm psyched up to come to KC, Got accepted in December, and have been working frantically to get all this scholarship stuff and FAFSA done. I'm originally from denver and although I'm in the minority, I m sick of Denver and can't wait for school to start. Fortunately I graduated one quarter early, so I feel for those of you still in classes, I'm not sure I could finish strong.

Anyone from the area what to let me know where the best places to live are. House or apartment (though from past experiences, I'd prefer a house to rent). I'm not opposed to a bit of a drive... especially since traffic in Kansas is nothing compared to the mess on Colorado roads.

See you in August!

Congrats on your acceptance! Some KU med students live in the apartments right around KU Med (like Rainbow Ridge) or at Woodview which is a short drive away. And a few try to get together and rent houses/etc. I'll be living in a house where we'll be renting out rooms, but we're filling those pretty quickly! I think that KU will start a listserv for us in early summer (they did last year) so that we can all start emailing each other. That will be a good time to try to get in contact with other KU students about renting together, etc. When will you be moving to Kansas? Enjoy your time off while you can!

evajaclynn said:
Congrats on your acceptance! Some KU med students live in the apartments right around KU Med (like Rainbow Ridge) or at Woodview which is a short drive away.

Yes. From what I see and from what I hear from others who work or go to school there, you want to live nearby. Otherwise, the commute on I-35 during morning rush hour is absolutely beastly... and that's not even with the everpresent orange barrels on that road. I have a place that I'm going to have to put on the market because it's in the southern part of the area :thumbdown:

A word to the wise, though: if you do live near KUMC, be sure to invest in a good home security system. :scared:

ForbiddenComma said:
Yes. From what I see and from what I hear from others who work or go to school there, you want to live nearby. Otherwise, the commute on I-35 during morning rush hour is absolutely beastly... and that's not even with the everpresent orange barrels on that road. I have a place that I'm going to have to put on the market because it's in the southern part of the area :thumbdown:

A word to the wise, though: if you do live near KUMC, be sure to invest in a good home security system. :scared:

I'll have to take I-35 in from where I'm going to live, but I'm hoping that it won't be too bad! I only have to be on it for about 3.5 miles, but I hope that doesn't get to be a real drag. All in all, I'll be living about 5.5 miles from KU Med. So if anyone ever wants to get away from school, they can come and visit me in the boonies. :)

Datko said:
Anyone here familiar with the changing vision for KUMC. I cant find anything on it but does anybody have the old vision or mission statement before Atkinson took over. I thought I remember KUMC having a focus on supplying kansas with primary care physicians with a strong emphasis on kansas residents. It seems now that they are focusing a lot on the research side of things and trying to put KUMC on the mapy (US News map that is).

Does anyone else have any thoughts or concerns about this?

Here is the current vission and mission

Our Mission
The University of Kansas School of Medicine commits to enhance the quality of life and serve our community through the discovery of knowledge, the education of health professionals and by improving the health of the public.

Our Vision
The University of Kansas School of Medicine will work with its partners to become the premier academic medical center in the region known for its excellent education, innovative scientific discovery, outstanding clinical programs and dedication to community service. It will be known as the place where everyone wants to come to learn, to teach, to conduct research and to receive his or her health care.

Uhhh yeah, i don't really see a reason to be concerned about this......You'll soon see that KU is still extremely dedicated to providing all corners of Kansas with great physicians and nurses. I think its great that KU is expanding by buidling new research and clinical buildings, including a heart-hospital that should be top notch. KU is working hard to improve technologies on campus, including a complete revamping of our library and the implementation of virtual microscopy, which will allow you to cram for CTB from the comfort of your own home sans microscope (i think you're class will be the first one that solely uses virtual microscopy). I love it here at KU, and it definitely deserves to be on some sort of map....the route it is currently taking towards that end is a good one :horns:

See you all next year.....and if you're my lil' sib, I gots hella books for you. Some good advice is to NOT BUY BOOKS until you chat with your big-sib first :horns:

~felipe

Just tryin' to breathe some life into this thread!!! There's got to be more future KU med students lurking about out there.

So I went to the KU Med school formal dinner/dance last Friday (my bf = MS1) and it was pretty crazy - good to know that KU med students know how to party when they have the opportunity. :)

So does anyone have any big plans for this summer before school starts? I've set the last day at my job for May 20th and am headed to Europe on May 23rd. Can't wait!!!

Haven't heard anything yet from KU except that they are working on getting documents ready and will get those out to us soon. Anyone else hear any news? Alright, back to my fun and exciting desk job. :p

evajaclynn said:
I've set the last day at my job for May 20th and am headed to Europe on May 23rd. Can't wait!!!

What countries are you going to and how long is your trip? I leave for Europe on June 30.

phleebie said:
What countries are you going to and how long is your trip? I leave for Europe on June 30.

Sweet! I don't have everything all planned out yet - for sure Germany/Czech/Greece/Italy/Croatia....not sure about the others. Trip is about 5 1/2 weeks (hope that I don't go broke)! Just thought I'd spend all my money before entering med school. :D What about you? How long are you staying? Are you headed out on your own?

evajaclynn said:
Sweet! I don't have everything all planned out yet - for sure Germany/Czech/Greece/Italy/Croatia....not sure about the others.
my trip isn't finalized yet either but I am for sure going to Switzerland, Germany, Italy, and the Netherlands. I'd like to visit more countries but I can only take so many train rides.

evajaclynn said:
Trip is about 5 1/2 weeks (hope that I don't go broke)! Just thought I'd spend all my money before entering med school. :D What about you? How long are you staying? Are you headed out on your own?
:laugh: yeah, I'm going to come home completely broke, too. My trip is only for two and a half weeks but I wish I was staying longer. I'm going with three of my buddies (old frat bros) so it should be a great time.

BTW what's the kumed formal dance like? I've never even heard about it...

Well I found out that I have to go test out of Physics 1 because I had skipped it. So I get to spend a couple summer weeks cramming for that. Yummy!

I wandered the campus the other day with another applicant (she's on the waitlist and works there as a labbie). Got to see various parts of what we will be calling home. Some of the facilities have seen better days but there's massive construction all around, and frankly I think KU's new emphasis on research is exciting. There's also a new bar and grill across the street from Murphy, and as I understand it, business there is quite brisk. What? Party school? naah...

Have any March admittees received their packets yet?