KCUMB vs Western 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posted this in the school specific thread but it got no love... so I was hoping that it would get more eyes (and advice here)

Very blessed to have these two choices :) I enjoyed both my interviews at each school and have good reasons to attend one over the other. However, I'm just curious as to what other's might do if they were given the options choices (and why)! Also, if I could get feedback from current students on their opinion on their respective programs re/things below that would be awesome. Thanks!

- student collaboration/competitiveness and student life (ECs, clubs and activities, involvement in community)
- location of match residency -- it seems that COMP matches a very large number of individuals to CA residencies and KCUMB students tend not to. Aside from the obvious geographical factor, how much more difficult would it be if someone who wanted to do a residency/practice in CA went to KCU vs. COMP
- pre-clinical years curriculum and resources provided for COMPLEX/USMLE. I know that KCU provides a lot of resources, but idk about western.
- quality of rotations/electives

Members don't see this ad.

From attending preview day, Comp uses problem based learning.

If staying in CA is a big deal i would def positively without a doubt go to western. congrats on the acceptances!

see the kcu specific thread for my descriptions on the school!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If staying in CA is a big deal i would def positively without a doubt go to western. congrats on the acceptances!

This! ...WesternU placed a lot of their students in CA I think it was around 50%

Reactions: 1 user

I think me wanting to stay in CA may be the end all deciding factor in it all... It would be awesome if the KCU curriculum was in place at COMP lol

current students, does anyone think the COMP curriculum/rotations/etc puts them at a disadvantage for matching the residency of their choice?

is the reason that not a lot of KCU students match to CA b/c they are not from CA and probably don't want to go there?

is the reason that not a lot of KCU students match to CA b/c they are not from CA and probably don't want to go there?

Yeah, It's probably more due to self selection. I think the reasons comp matches so many students in CA is 1. They have a good amount of students from CA that probably want to stay in CA and 2. The students get to rotate through all of comps affiliated hospitals in CA which is good for students looking to match in CA because they get face time there.