KCU Class of 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you guys passively watch Pathoma, or take notes? I'm planning on doing the Duke Pathoma cards, so not sure if I should just passively watch it and try to absorb as much as I can, or take notes. I'm using Gasper's outlines, so if taking notes is redundant, I don't want to waste my time.

Edit: never mind, I just realized there's a Pathoma textbook so taking notes would probably be pointless..

Not everything Dr. Sattar says is in the workbook. He also draws pictures frequently. I'd notate the book extensively.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So....is the forensics lecture just random, or is there a Robbins chapter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Back with another question, thanks for always being so helpful guys....

For the micro portion of MOD, is there a point to watching any of the lectures? For reference, I haven't been watching anything outside of Singh/Martin so far. If we sketchy + Anki, will we be good? I also heard they're changing it up a bit this year and we're not having the entirety of micro (not sure if this is true or just a rumor), so I guess we'll have to dig through Anki to find the relevant cards.

Back with another question, thanks for always being so helpful guys....

For the micro portion of MOD, is there a point to watching any of the lectures? For reference, I haven't been watching anything outside of Singh/Martin so far. If we sketchy + Anki, will we be good? I also heard they're changing it up a bit this year and we're not having the entirety of micro (not sure if this is true or just a rumor), so I guess we'll have to dig through Anki to find the relevant cards.

I wondered how they were going to do micro for you guys. Weird.

I don't know how helpful his will be since it's different for you guys. But last year I did sketchy, Anki, CCMRS, & watched lectures. If I could go back I would have skimmed the lecture slides for the bugs not in sketchy (H. ducreyi & Moraxella catarhalis for example) & read the relevant part in CMMRS then maybe made some flashcards for them. I wasted a ton of time reading that book. Sketchy covers 90% of the stuff we were tested on; the other 10% came straight out of lecture. But we had a different professor do it last year who was awesome & had really good slides to go off of, so I don't know if that would work for you guys or not.

Also, know the broad classifications for the parasites how Robbins has them (nematode, cestode, etc.) 'cause for the past 2 years they have asked broad questions about those (e.g. pt. presents w/ periorbital edema, muscle pain, vomiting, & fever. What type of parasite caused this: intestinal nematode vs. soft tissue nematode vs. cestode when asking about Trichinella spiralis.) I think we had 2 questions that were written like that last year.

Reactions: 1 user
I wondered how they were going to do micro for you guys. Weird.

I don't know how helpful his will be since it's different for you guys. But last year I did sketchy, Anki, CCMRS, & watched lectures. If I could go back I would have skimmed the lecture slides for the bugs not in sketchy (H. ducreyi & Moraxella catarhalis for example) & read the relevant part in CMMRS then maybe made some flashcards for them. I wasted a ton of time reading that book. Sketchy covers 90% of the stuff we were tested on; the other 10% came straight out of lecture. But we had a different professor do it last year who was awesome & had really good slides to go off of, so I don't know if that would work for you guys or not.

Also, know the broad classifications for the parasites how Robbins has them (nematode, cestode, etc.) 'cause for the past 2 years they have asked broad questions about those (e.g. pt. presents w/ periorbital edema, muscle pain, vomiting, & fever. What type of parasite caused this: intestinal nematode vs. soft tissue nematode vs. cestode when asking about Trichinella spiralis.) I think we had 2 questions that were written like that last year.
Thanks! That's all super helpful. So, are you saying you wouldn't have watched lectures and just skimmed them for stuff missing from Sketchy, or would you still recommend watching them?

Thanks! That's all super helpful. So, are you saying you wouldn't have watched lectures and just skimmed them for stuff missing from Sketchy, or would you still recommend watching them?

I don't think it was necessary. But we had Dr. Hersh last year who had really good slides. Not sure who you guys have.

Does Putthoff get better in second year? It seems like he doesn't really want to teach in class and he also emphasizes that you don't read the book. It leaves you with complete confusion on how to approach his lectures and his CIS are hard.

Does Putthoff get better in second year? It seems like he doesn't really want to teach in class and he also emphasizes that you don't read the book. It leaves you with complete confusion on how to approach his lectures and his CIS are hard.

I had heard Putthoff was getting away from Robbins for you guys. IMO that is amazing news. So annoying that they try to force everybody to read that thing. Such a dumb & lazy way to teach pathology. Not everybody learns by staring at pages in a book for 8 hours/day.

For Putthoff I always learned the material through Pathoma/First Aid + Zanki & would 2x his lectures a couple days before the exam to look for anything not in the resources I used and I would do good on his exams. Not sure how that correlates to micro, but it sounds like he is trying to help you guys out. He is never a professor that tries to trick you (from my experience.) If you're a visual learner I think Sketchy will be all you'll need. Maybe others can chime in too. Ask around to see what people are doing. I wish I could be more helpful.

Can't say the same for Dobson in year 2. I respect the crap out of that dude for all of his experience & impressive knowledge, & he is a cool guy in person, but his exams... Lol. You are too pathologically woke my friend. We are not all going to be pathologists when we graduate.

Reactions: 2 users
Can't say the same for Dobson in year 2. I respect the crap out of that dude for all of his experience & impressive knowledge, & he is a cool guy in person, but his exams... Lol. You are too pathologically woke my friend. We are not all going to be pathologists when we graduate.
Lol as we prepare to take a test that is largely his material tomorrow :rolleyes:

Lol as we prepare to take a test that is largely his material tomorrow :rolleyes:

Haha I'm sure you'll be fine! I don't remember him being too terrible for MOD. IMO it was moreso the systems-specific pathology. But your guys' curriculum is so different that honestly anything us 2nd years say might not even be that helpful anymore idk lol.

Haha I'm sure you'll be fine! I don't remember him being too terrible for MOD. IMO it was moreso the systems-specific pathology. But your guys' curriculum is so different that honestly anything us 2nd years say might not even be that helpful anymore idk lol.
Well, I still really appreciate you sharing what you did and what worked for you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had heard Putthoff was getting away from Robbins for you guys. IMO that is amazing news. So annoying that they try to force everybody to read that thing. Such a dumb & lazy way to teach pathology. Not everybody learns by staring at pages in a book for 8 hours/day.

For Putthoff I always learned the material through Pathoma/First Aid + Zanki & would 2x his lectures a couple days before the exam to look for anything not in the resources I used and I would do good on his exams. Not sure how that correlates to micro, but it sounds like he is trying to help you guys out. He is never a professor that tries to trick you (from my experience.) If you're a visual learner I think Sketchy will be all you'll need. Maybe others can chime in too. Ask around to see what people are doing. I wish I could be more helpful.

Putthoff told us that reading robbins wasn't necessary (or at least wasn't something we should focus on), but then his neoplasia lecture was almost nothing of substance. Like 4 hours of generally talking about cancer, but nothing terribly specific and lots of 'know this chart in robbins' sort of thing. I left that lecture with almost no understanding of the material and had to rely on the book for just about everything. I would put it up there with one of the worst lectures of the year. Maybe I'm the one it just didn't click for, but I'm not sure how we could learn what we needed to know by using his slides/lecture.

Putthoff told us that reading robbins wasn't necessary (or at least wasn't something we should focus on), but then his neoplasia lecture was almost nothing of substance. Like 4 hours of generally talking about cancer, but nothing terribly specific and lots of 'know this chart in robbins' sort of thing. I left that lecture with almost no understanding of the material and had to rely on the book for just about everything. I would put it up there with one of the worst lectures of the year. Maybe I'm the one it just didn't click for, but I'm not sure how we could learn what we needed to know by using his slides/lecture.

Ya he tends to do that type of thing in lecture. Most of the responsibility falls on you to learn the stuff on your own in MOD & year 2. Lecture is more or less a formality honestly haha. I feel like they just kinda brush on things that are especially important but ya.. I agree there isn't much teaching really.

The CISs are more helpful than the lectures 'cause they are at least walking through things.

I haven't watched or looked at a single Putthoff or Dobson lecture (outside of the forensics one which I attended) and I don't ever plan on it. From what I've gathered they're completely useless and I did quite well on the first exam without once looking at any of their materials.

:rofl: I have I feeling you will still need to read specific Robbins chapters in its entirety for Dobsons exams

So I have the lolnotacop deck; however, even though I have it set to "show new cards in random order," it still wants to march down each subdeck in sequential order... I want it to show all of the cards that I've unsuspended in a random order. Today I watched the first 5 videos on sketchy and suspended those cards, but it's showing me all of the staph aureus cards (in random order) before it begins to show me the next video's cards and so on... Any tips on how to fix this, or do I just need to live with it?

So I have the lolnotacop deck; however, even though I have it set to "show new cards in random order," it still wants to march down each subdeck in sequential order... I want it to show all of the cards that I've unsuspended in a random order. Today I watched the first 5 videos on sketchy and suspended those cards, but it's showing me all of the staph aureus cards (in random order) before it begins to show me the next video's cards and so on... Any tips on how to fix this, or do I just need to live with it?

Is this section of mod basically all of sketchy micro? I'm not sure I have it within me to do the 3.3k+ anki cards in that deck by next friday lol

Is this section of mod basically all of sketchy micro? I'm not sure I have it within me to do the 3.3k+ anki cards in that deck by next friday lol
I'm not sure if it's all of micro or not. It took way too much time to decipher all of the learning objectives for last test, so I'm just going to plan on doing all of it lol. I think it's still an hour shorter than going to all of the lectures.

Doesn't seem like it if you look at the powerpoint he put up (which is all over the place as it is). I have no idea what they want us to focus on, but seems like it's a mix between the Robbins chapter and one chapter of CMMRS? So confused lol

Doesn't seem like it if you look at the powerpoint he put up (which is all over the place as it is). I have no idea what they want us to focus on, but seems like it's a mix between the Robbins chapter and one chapter of CMMRS? So confused lol
Sketchy Micro is extremely dense. I don't know where to start for this lol

If you're confused I would encourage you to read the 76 learning objectives, with sub-learning objectives A-Z and AA, BB, CC, DD, and EE for lecture one. Should clear that right up!

• Haha
If you're confused I would encourage you to read the 76 learning objectives, with sub-learning objectives A-Z and AA, BB, CC, DD, and EE for lecture one. Should clear that right up!
Lol. I literally have zero idea where to start so I'm just sitting at home until the lecture posts and hoping he clarifies something in there....

Sketchy Micro is extremely dense. I don't know where to start for this lol
Watch it and take notes. Then take the quizes over the videos you've watched the next day to make sure you remember.

If we want to do cards for sketchy, should we use the Pepper deck or the Lolnotacop deck? Any recommendations?

If we want to do cards for sketchy, should we use the Pepper deck or the Lolnotacop deck? Any recommendations?
I've heard that lolnotacop is the most comprehensive decks. The cards are very different styles too. lolnotacop is like all clozed deletion (fill in the blank if you aren't familiar with anki) whereas pepper is more like "what four things characterize staph aureus?"

I've heard that lolnotacop is the most comprehensive decks. The cards are very different styles too. lolnotacop is like all clozed deletion (fill in the blank if you aren't familiar with anki) whereas pepper is more like "what four things characterize staph aureus?"

Hmm that's what I read too. But do you think for MOD we'd need to know all those extra details from Lolnotacop's deck? His deck is like 3k cards or something and the pepper deck is only like 1k. And plus we only have like a week and a half to learn everything.

Hmm that's what I read too. But do you think for MOD we'd need to know all those extra details from Lolnotacop's deck? His deck is like 3k cards or something and the pepper deck is only like 1k. And plus we only have like a week and a half to learn everything.
I've found the cloze deletions in the lolnotacop deck to be kinda overkill. Like instead of having the 3 major symptoms of a disease all in one cloze, he has 3 for each individual one. There are parts of that deck that I'm not planning on using too. Like some random add-ons outside of sketchy. I'm sure it's probably overkill, but I'm going to try and age this deck this summer.

Ya you kinda just have to pick a method of attack & go balls to the wall. Don't hesitate. It's your last test. Go full hermit mode until the micro is in your head. If you learn it well now it will pay off for you all year next year cause it's in every pathology unit.

I personally like the Pepper deck. If you're able to name a list of viral features or s/s of a presentation off of the top of your head, you know the material really well. But to each their own. lolnotacop does however have some high-yield micro not in Sketchy/Pepper (H. ducreyi & Morexella catarrhalis are two examples that come to mind.)

& I think the Sketchy Pharm deck (pepper or salt I think.. I renamed it so I'm not sure) deck does a better job with their Abx cards than lolnotacop, but that's just my opinion. I was deciding what deck to use to re-learn ABx for dedicated a couple weeks ago and after I got through the lolnotacop penicillin cards I switched to the other deck. Couldn't stand them. But that might just be because I am so used to the Pepper format for micro.

Definitely check them both out & see which you prefer.

Ya you kinda just have to pick a method of attack & go balls to the wall. Don't hesitate. It's your last test. Go full hermit mode until the micro is in your head. If you learn it well now it will pay off for you all year next year cause it's in every pathology unit.

I personally like the Pepper deck. If you're able to name a list of viral features or s/s of a presentation off of the top of your head, you know the material really well. But to each their own. lolnotacop does however have some high-yield micro not in Sketchy/Pepper (H. ducreyi & Morexella catarrhalis are two examples that come to mind.)

& I think the Sketchy Pharm deck (pepper or salt I think.. I renamed it so I'm not sure) deck does a better job with their Abx cards than lolnotacop, but that's just my opinion. I was deciding what deck to use to re-learn ABx for dedicated a couple weeks ago and after I got through the lolnotacop penicillin cards I switched to the other deck. Couldn't stand them. But that might just be because I am so used to the Pepper format for micro.

Definitely check them both out & see which you prefer.

Thanks this makes sense! I think I'm gonna go with Pepper.

Follow up question: how do you guys set up scheduling for anki with such short intervals? Ideally anki is supposed to be over the course of weeks to months, so how do we set it up with like 10 days until our exam?

Update: still feel just as confused and overwhelmed with how to approach this exam as I did before.

• Sad
Follow up question: how do you guys set up scheduling for anki with such short intervals? Ideally anki is supposed to be over the course of weeks to months, so how do we set it up with like 10 days until our exam?

What I did was a chunk of sketchy vids + annotate my workbook (first aid would work too.. or a notebook or something) in the morning, then do the associated Zanki cards, then do another chunk of videos in the afternoon & their associated cards afterwards. Gotta make sure you're watching enough vids to make it tough on yourself though. If you are only doing a few vids at a time, then the cards are going to be easy to remember. If you do like 10 though, it gets tougher to recall everything, and that's the level you need to be practicing at to get everything in your head before test day. Writing out the answers to cards helps a lot too. It sucks but it does work.

The day before the exam just reset the microbes you don't remember as well and do them that day. Then make sure you do the reviews for those cards before you sit for the exam in the morning & you should be good. Or you could just make a list of your weak spots & re-read your notes or review the sketchy symbols the morning of the exam.

What I did was a chunk of sketchy vids + annotate my workbook (first aid would work too.. or a notebook or something) in the morning, then do the associated Zanki cards, then do another chunk of videos in the afternoon & their associated cards afterwards. Gotta make sure you're watching enough vids to make it tough on yourself though. If you are only doing a few vids at a time, then the cards are going to be easy to remember. If you do like 10 though, it gets tougher to recall everything, and that's the level you need to be practicing at to get everything in your head before test day. Writing out the answers to cards helps a lot too. It sucks but it does work.

The day before the exam just reset the microbes you don't remember as well and do them that day. Then make sure you do the reviews for those cards before you sit for the exam in the morning & you should be good. Or you could just make a list of your weak spots & re-read your notes or review the sketchy symbols the morning of the exam.
How are we supposed to get through like 3k cards in 9 days, though.....

How are we supposed to get through like 3k cards in 9 days, though.....

If you're doing lolnotacop you'll definitely have to filter through & suspend things you don't think you'll need. That is too high for 9 days. Unless you don't plan on sleeping (plz sleep lol.)

Or you could do Pepper for school micro (my deck is only 981) & switch to lolnotacop for year 2. We ran through maybe about ~3/4 of the micro again as we worked through the systems. I reset my micro at the beginning of the year.. mainly because I forgot it all over the summer haha. But that's kinda what I did through the year though. Same goes for Abx too btw (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of them come back up in year 2.)

If you're doing lolnotacop you'll definitely have to filter through & suspend things you don't think you'll need. That is too high for 9 days. Unless you don't plan on sleeping (plz sleep lol.)

Or you could do Pepper for school micro (my deck is only 981) & switch to lolnotacop for year 2. We ran through maybe about ~3/4 of the micro again as we worked through the systems. I reset my micro at the beginning of the year.. mainly because I forgot it all over the summer haha. But that's kinda what I did through the year though. Same goes for Abx too btw (maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of them come back up in year 2.)
So Pepper is sufficient? This may be what I have to do, because I just un-suspended all the cards from lolnotacop that were covered in today's 2 lectures, and it's already at 2300 cards..

So Pepper is sufficient? This may be what I have to do, because I just un-suspended all the cards from lolnotacop that were covered in today's 2 lectures, and it's already at 2300 cards..

It definitely is ya. & you can just un-suspend anything you might need from lolnotacop if you can't find it in Pepper.

Would it be overkill and try to annotate the sketchy videos? Or has someone already done this in the past?

So... is everyone just sticking to sketchy and that's it? I'm giving an honest effort to study the class material but it's so unbelievably bad that I can't even follow the powerpoints.

So... is everyone just sticking to sketchy and that's it? I'm giving an honest effort to study the class material but it's so unbelievably bad that I can't even follow the powerpoints.
I've only been doing sketchy.

Strictly sketchy on my own schedule. Only open the powerpoint to make sure I'm covering the right bugs.

Completely punting the extra tidbits from Robbins and basic micro for now.

For anyone going back and forth between going with lolnotacop vs pepper, I would recommend pepper x1000 for class. I've been using anki all year, and lolnotacop broke me-- Sooooooooo many cards and redundancy. Maybe it'll be better for boards, but we don't have the time for that amount of redundancy.

For anyone going back and forth between going with lolnotacop vs pepper, I would recommend pepper x1000 for class. I've been using anki all year, and lolnotacop broke me-- Sooooooooo many cards and redundancy. Maybe it'll be better for boards, but we don't have the time for that amount of redundancy.
Yup, made the switch as well

My schedule right now:

Watch 5 to 6 sketchy vids, do related pepper cards, then go back and watch more sketchy vids. I would recommend this schedule rather than just watching all the vids, since that's pretty passive. I plan to watch the lectures on 2x speed whenever i get a break just to make sure i'm on the right track. The only thing worrying me right now is all the antibiotics we have to memorize. I didn't go to that lecture or watch it, so I'm unsure of what's expected from us for that one so far.

Also if you haven't seen already, there have been powerpoints posted on the FB groups that are from last year. Those slides are amazing and line up really really well with sketchy. I've been using those as well.

I’d also recommend looking over the CMMRS tables. They are gold. There is only one chapter in CMMRS that I would read that covers what Sketchy does not. Sketchy covers most of what you need but not everything. And, I believe, those Anki decks are just covering Sketchy.

Also, annotating Sketchy for yourself is far more useful IMO. Once you have your notes, you can just add what’s in the CMMRS table to your notes.

I’d also recommend looking over the CMMRS tables. They are gold. There is only one chapter in CMMRS that I would read that covers what Sketchy does not. Sketchy covers most of what you need but not everything. And, I believe, those Anki decks are just covering Sketchy.

Also, annotating Sketchy for yourself is far more useful IMO. Once you have your notes, you can just add what’s in the CMMRS table to your notes.
Do you recall which chapter this is specifically?