Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What type of stethoscope do most med students suggest? Would it be too late to get a stethoscope after talking to current students during orientation?

Litman classic or litman cardiology are the most common.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know approximately when first years are done with classes typically?

Edit: Meaning their last day of class before summer vacation

Any good study spots around KC? I like find and going to random (safe) places to study. Are the KUMC or UMKC libraries public?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any good study spots around KC? I like find and going to random (safe) places to study. Are the KUMC or UMKC libraries public?
when i came down for my interview i had coffee at a place called colony KC that had pretty good coffee and the owner told me that a he gets students from KCU studying there often

Reactions: 1 users
when i came down for my interview i had coffee at a place called colony KC that had pretty good coffee and the owner told me that a he gets students from KCU studying there often

I was the first Kcu student there when they opened! They are getting popular now. Opening up a kitchen and microbrewery!

Reactions: 1 user
I was the first Kcu student there when they opened! They are getting popular now. Opening up a kitchen and microbrewery!

That's pretty cool, ya i really liked the vibe in there and the coffee was great i kinda wish i coulda gotten another cup before i left but I guess i'll be able to in a couple months (def gave me the boost i needed to get through interview day...that crappy coffee i had at the la quinta just wasn't doing it for me)

Any recommendations as to how to go about procuring an award letter for proof of income for an apartment? My current roommate is able to get one from his school's financial aid portal, but I haven't been able to find any such thing on Net Partner.

Any recommendations as to how to go about procuring an award letter for proof of income for an apartment? My current roommate is able to get one from his school's financial aid portal, but I haven't been able to find any such thing on Net Partner.

My dad was willing to cosign for me which helped me get around that but I was told by the complex that I ended up choosing that if he wasn't I would have to get some kind of verification of the amount of loans I'm eligible for before moving into my unit.

Taking a screenshot while on the "Loans" tab or the "Disbursements" tab was more than enough for the leasing managers I contacted. They said that the screenshot had to include my name at the top of the page and loan disbursement dates. You can either take a screen shot of those pages or click File->Print-> save as PDF on Net Partner.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
June 26th someone said on the fb page!

Can confirm that is our last final. Although if you want to pursue an MBA, your summer break is approximately 4 hours.

Not joking.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can confirm that is our last final. Although if you want to pursue an MBA, your summer break is approximately 4 hours.

Not joking.

Do you know if you can miss any class for the MBA? Of course my dad already scheduled a cruise for the first week of July next year and I am wondering if the MBA would still be an option.

Hey, a lot of people got their CT room assignments but I did not get mine.

What gives??????

Any other CT applicants not get assigned a room?

What gives??????

+1. Don't know if that means she's still looking to get us a room or what...

What gives??????

I emailed Gia yesterday and she said she is still working on one bedrooms and the two bedrooms should get an email today. If you signed up for a two bedroom that might be why!

I emailed Gia yesterday and she said she is still working on one bedrooms and the two bedrooms should get an email today. If you signed up for a two bedroom that might be why!
Oh, as in she is doing all the single rooms first and all the people who have been assigned rooms are living alone. And she's gonna do the double rooms at the end?

yea i signed up for a double at CT all the way back in mid February but have yet to get an email from Gia. She probably just hasn't assigned the doubles yet

Do you know if you can miss any class for the MBA? Of course my dad already scheduled a cruise for the first week of July next year and I am wondering if the MBA would still be an option.

Not over the summer. Missing a week is the same as missing 25% of the session. You would probably have to decide cruise or MBA. I would talk to rockhurst at one of the info sessions during 1st year before you take my word as gospel.

Not over the summer. Missing a week is the same as missing 25% of the session. You would probably have to decide cruise or MBA. I would talk to rockhurst at one of the info sessions during 1st year before you take my word as gospel.

Okay, thanks for the info!

Okay, thanks for the info!

I have some friends in the MBA now and they just found out they got the whole week of July 3rd off. They do have class the week of June 26th starting right after the MOD 2 final but the next week is off. Maybe they will do the same next summer and you will be able to go on the cruise? Schedules can change a lot so it's hard to say.

Finally done with undergrad finals for THE last time! TBH, I did the whole "study a day or two before the exam for the whole semester" and also didn't do any extra credit and skipped half the classes (lol RIP attendance grades) since I already got accepted to med school so I'm expecting 2 A's (ironically these were the hardest), but probable B+ or B in my 2 other classes. Admissions wouldn't look down on that would they?

Reactions: 2 users
Finally done with undergrad finals for THE last time! TBH, I did the whole "study a day or two before the exam for the whole semester" and also didn't do any extra credit and skipped half the classes (lol RIP attendance grades) since I already got accepted to med school so I'm expecting 2 A's (ironically these were the hardest), but probable B+ or B in my 2 other classes. Admissions wouldn't look down on that would they?
I'm pretty sure that as long as you graduate you'll be fine.

When is everyone moving to KC?
I signed up to move July 1st, but am trying to push it back to July 15th and Century Towers is giving me a really hard time.

This is a pretty obvious tip but should be said anyways: study hard these next two years. We just took our first practice 8 hours exam and studying well pays off!

Hope you did as well as you wanted too! Are the M2s starting their dedicated period now or do classes continue for a bit longer?

Hope you did as well as you wanted too! Are the M2s starting their dedicated period now or do classes continue for a bit longer?

Thanks! So classes ended for us like two weeks ago but we had a few other things in the way. Now it's just dedicated study for like 8 weeks!

Thanks! So classes ended for us like two weeks ago but we had a few other things in the way. Now it's just dedicated study for like 8 weeks!

haha i guess out of the frying pan into the fire then, good luck to you and the rest of the class of 2019, I hope you guys crush the boards!

Hello,

How imperative is it to have a facebook account for medical school? I have never had one and I was just wondering if it is an unspoken requirement?

Respectfully,
JT

Hello,

How imperative is it to have a facebook account for medical school? I have never had one and I was just wondering if it is an unspoken requirement?

Respectfully,
JT

It's not an unspoken requirement (that I know of?) but it's useful for meeting people from our class and get togethers and whatever else. I was thinking about deleting mine but I'm going to keep it for school stuff.

There are also students selling lots of used medical school stuff (books, med kits, living stuff, etc.) So it's a nice resource to have!

Edit: Sorry, I'm an incoming student not a current student. I've had many margaritas and didn't realize this question wasn't necessarily appropriate for me to answer.

Last edited:
So my CT move in date is July 18. Do I pay rent for the entire month of July or just whatever the fraction of days I'll be in the building are?

Sitting at my commencement and it's surreal to think we'll be starting med school in two months!!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone come off the waitlist at all? I don't see any acceptances since early march, but there's a lot to scroll through here with @AlteredScale being all responsive and friendly and such.

Hey yall! Just wanted to thank this particular thread for helping me this past app cycle. Will be going to KCOM. But let me tell you, it was so so so difficult to let KCU and the city of Kansas City go. You guys are the most active bunch on SDN and I wish KCOM threads were anywhere as active and helpful. I'll try to stay warm up in Kirksville. Thanks!

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe a weird question, but do we receive our white coats before the actual ceremony? I just want to make sure it fits properly, as I've lost a little bit of weight since my interview date.

Maybe a weird question, but do we receive our white coats before the actual ceremony? I just want to make sure it fits properly, as I've lost a little bit of weight since my interview date.

Yes, last year we got them on the first day of orientation and you could switch sizes if necessary. You will wear it for your ID badge picture so make sure you dress professionally the first day

Yes, last year we got them on the first day of orientation and you could switch sizes if necessary. You will wear it for your ID badge picture so make sure you dress professionally the first day

Hold up, you have to be dressed professionally on the first day of orientation? I was expecting a jeans and a t shirt type of orientation.I should be planning to wear a buttoned shirt and fancy pants?

Hold up, you have to be dressed professionally on the first day of orientation? I was expecting a jeans and a t shirt type of orientation.I should be planning to wear a buttoned shirt and fancy pants?

Yes it's formal/business casual attire. Sorry.