Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you mean residency like?

Impatient experience, working with residents (unlikely to occur here in KC since almost all in KC are taken by UMKC and KU Med students). Basically learning how to be an intern.

Preceptor based training isn't bad by all means. But a good mix is better than a polarized training imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Impatient experience, working with residents (unlikely to occur here in KC since almost all in KC are taken by UMKC and KU Med students). Basically learning how to be an intern.

What are some of the better non-KC rotational spots?

Thank you for your help,
JT

Am I screwed if I don't purchase any text books until I actually get to KCU in mid July?

Feels like all the second year students are pushing their textbooks on us right now in the FB group and I have clue which ones I actually need and don't need and I'm not too thrilled about agreeing to pay for the books now only to get them in three months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I screwed if I don't purchase any text books until I actually get to KCU in mid July?

Feels like all the second year students are pushing their textbooks on us right now in the FB group and I have clue which ones I actually need and don't need and I'm not too thrilled about agreeing to pay for the books now only to get them in three months.

+1 on what a good time might be to start purchasing. I'm trying to pay off my apartment through July before I start buying books and stuff.. if possible.

I dont know if you absolutely love having textbooks, but someone on the facebook page shared the google drive link to a bunch of the books on PDF version. If you are looking to save some money I would definitely check that out too and see which books you absolutely want in print and which you can be fine having a PDF!

I dont know if you absolutely love having textbooks, but someone on the facebook page shared the google drive link to a bunch of the books on PDF version. If you are looking to save some money I would definitely check that out too and see which books you absolutely want in print and which you can be fine having a PDF!
I caught that, but it didn't have a lot of the most recommended books if I recall correctly

A question open to all,

I received the award statement but Im currently on two wait lists. Should I accept the awards now?

Would anyone mind sharing that link? I'm in the accepted Joplin page but didnt see anything of the sort. I love me some free textbooks!

Anybody else get anxiety from that person who posted on the Facebook page about not knowing they needed titers done until yesterday!? I hope they figure it out or work it out with admissions in time.

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody else get anxiety from that person who posted on the Facebook page about not knowing they needed titers done until yesterday!? I hope they figure it out or work it out with admissions in time.
How did she not know? They harped on it multiple times at the interview and at accepted students day...

I think we should experience the nightlife in KC throughout orientation so we know the bars to go cry at after our tests

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think was the hardest block first year?

MSK, Neuro, and MOD at the end of the year were def the hardest blocks. Can't really rank which one sucked the most though.

Will admit though, I was scared to death starting Med school. Honestly thought I may fail out or something but if you work hard, are smart with your time, and give yourself some "me time" even if it's just going out with friends after a test for a few hours it will make all the difference in your success. Now that definition of success is gunna be different for everyone once orientation week ends and that's OK.

MSK, Neuro, and MOD at the end of the year were def the hardest blocks. Can't really rank which one sucked the most though.

Will admit though, I was scared to death starting Med school. Honestly thought I may fail out or something but if you work hard, are smart with your time, and give yourself some "me time" even if it's just going out with friends after a test for a few hours it will make all the difference in your success. Now that definition of success is gunna be different for everyone once orientation week ends and that's OK.

I definitely have those same feelings. My concern is just how much work is gonna be needed to have grades to be able to keep my options open for the different tracks.

I definitely have those same feelings. My concern is just how much work is gonna be needed to have grades to be able to keep my options open for the different tracks.

Its gunna require 120% work no matter what and unfortunately sometimes that effort doesn't equate to being at the top of the class. That's why I think coming in with an open mind is better (at least for keeping your sanity). Open mind meaning done set super high expectations from the get go otherwise you'll freak out when you fail your first quiz or exam (both of which have happened, the former happening a lot more second year).

What do you think was the hardest block first year?

For me the toughest blocks were biochem and immuno. Both of these are my weak points (and still are). Plus, once you figure out how to study, things become much more manageable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Gave up my seat today. Hope someone has a good day soon! You deserve it.

I hope she has Hep B immunity, otherwise she's **** outta luck. Hope it works out for her cuz that would suck :/

As much as KCU did hammer it home that we needed to start immunizations asap, it seemed like as long as you kept in close touch with them about what was going on with the process they would work with you.

A question open to all,

I received the award statement but Im currently on two wait lists. Should I accept the awards now?

A question open to all,

I don't think it matters much if you accept your award now or not, the only thing that matters is if you know if you are going to be using a financial aid package to finance your education or not. Lets say you accept your award at KCU, but then get into a program you liked more than KCU and withdraw from KCU, it's not like you are going to be on the hook for the amount you've accepted because it hasn't been disbursed to you yet and won't be until i believe early august, so if you get into a program you like better and withdraw from KCU then that kinda cancels out your scheduled disbursement since they aren't going to loan the money to a student that is no longer attending KCU. Anyway that's how I think about it, does that make sense?

^ yep, I think this makes the most sense. In any case, if you're still concerned, you don't have to accept your financial award package from KCU until the end of the May (hopefully should have waitlist movement by then @ChosenBrotherRaoh)

^ yep, I think this makes the most sense. In any case, if you're still concerned, you don't have to accept your financial award package from KCU until the end of the May (hopefully should have waitlist movement by then @ChosenBrotherRaoh)

I really hope so.
I fell in love with KCU, but I have two elderly parents and 5 younger siblings who I'm guiding.
Family is really important to me and I'm trying to get into the TWO instate schools that waitlisted me :\

Reactions: 3 users
I really hope so.
I fell in love with KCU, but I have two elderly parents and 5 younger siblings who I'm guiding.
Family is really important to me and I'm trying to get into the TWO instate schools that waitlisted me :\

Huge props to you for looking out for family like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone!

Does anyone know what grades we need to maintain after being accepted? I know the acceptance letter says that we have to be in "good standing" but I am not exactly sure what that may mean. This last semester with interviews and all I kind of slipped in two of my classes (may be getting a B or worse case scenario a C). Lets just say two C's, would that effect my acceptance even if all other grades are A/B's.

Thank you for your replies and help!

Hi everyone!

Does anyone know what grades we need to maintain after being accepted? I know the acceptance letter says that we have to be in "good standing" but I am not exactly sure what that may mean. This last semester with interviews and all I kind of slipped in two of my classes (may be getting a B or worse case scenario a C). Lets just say two C's, would that effect my acceptance even if all other grades are A/B's.

I know that at the University I attend, a 2.0 is the minimum to be in good standing for gen ed courses and a 2.5 is the minimum for in-major courses. No clue if it differs per University or if KCU has their own reqs.

Hi everyone!

Well I was actually somewhat worried since I got a 3.47 (my grades before that semester were 3.6 cum/science) so I called and asked the admissions office. They gave me a rather vague response that they don't have a certain GPA criteria for withdrawing acceptances, so I took that as it was fine! Bounced back with a 3.7 to close out this semester, but I think you're fine. If you're really worried you could always call and explain your situation!

I hope she has Hep B immunity, otherwise she's **** outta luck. Hope it works out for her cuz that would suck :/

I dont understand why theyre so strict about the immunizations this year. I got my last Hep B shot during fall semester and my titer a week or two before the 1st semester ended and they were completely fine, and worked with me throughout the whole process. As long as you kept contact with them... they were really fine with it. I heard plenty of people in my class (2020) who had their titers / 3rd shot of Hep B done well into the Fall semester.

I dont understand why theyre so strict about the immunizations this year. I got my last Hep B shot during fall semester and my titer a week or two before the 1st semester ended and they were completely fine, and worked with me throughout the whole process. As long as you kept contact with them... they were really fine with it. I heard plenty of people in my class (2020) who had their titers / 3rd shot of Hep B done well into the Fall semester.

I actually have yet to get the 3rd shot of the series as well (which they said is fine like you mentioned). I think the issue with this girl was that she never got her initial titers in the first place (as in she didn't even start the Hep B series)

I actually have yet to get the 3rd shot of the series as well (which they said is fine like you mentioned). I think the issue with this girl was that she never got her initial titers in the first place (as in she didn't even start the Hep B series)

I didn't get my third shot till like end of first semester lol. As long as you communicate and keep saying sorry you'll be fine.

There was a 1-2 that I know got their acceptance revoked and that was because of exactly what you said with regards to not doing anything and basically not communicating.

I didn't get my third shot till like end of first semester lol. As long as you communicate and keep saying sorry you'll be fine.

There was a 1-2 that I know got their acceptance revoked and that was because of exactly what you said with regards to not doing anything and basically not communicating.

Yea that's pretty much the vibe they gave off: communicate and you'll be fine. I hope things work out for this particular girl because it's honestly a ****ty reason to have your acceptance revoked, but it's hard to blame the school when they've been hammering home the dates and sending out reminders constantly

How much do you think one must communicate this with them? I told admissions around Marchish that I won't be getting my 3rd hepB until around July/August and thus wouldn't get my titers done until 6 weeks after that. SentryMD has all of my paperwork and has said that I am compliant and admissions followed that up with am email saying that I am fully compliant.

How much do you think one must communicate this with them? I told admissions around Marchish that I won't be getting my 3rd hepB until around July/August and thus wouldn't get my titers done until 6 weeks after that. SentryMD has all of my paperwork and has said that I am compliant and admissions followed that up with am email saying that I am fully compliant.

You're gucci

Would some one also mind explaining the process of chooseing students for the specialty tracks? Like for example when it is and if there is anything you'd reccomend doing to be competitive for them except have a good GPA?

Would some one also mind explaining the process of chooseing students for the specialty tracks? Like for example when it is and if there is anything you'd reccomend doing to be competitive for them except have a good GPA?

That's it. Get a good GPA. They are still refining the process for current first year students. We had our first meeting about rotations yesterday. If you want a specialty tract, shoot for a minimum 3.4 GPA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 3 users
That's it. Get a good GPA. They are still refining the process for current first year students. We had our first meeting about rotations yesterday. If you want a specialty tract, shoot for a minimum 3.4 GPA.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I couldn't have said this any better myself.

Can someone explain the specialty track a little bit?

The tracks are just your third year with modified clerkships so if you're in the Ortho track you get selectives in in Ortho or if you're in IM your selectives are subspecialties in IM like GI or heme onc. Also you get designated honors on your transcripts.

The tracks are just your third year with modified clerkships so if you're in the Ortho track you get selectives in in Ortho or if you're in IM your selectives are subspecialties in IM like GI or heme onc. Also you get designated honors on your transcripts.

How does this affect where you do your clinical years? Do all specialty track people have to stay in KC? Or do they have modified tracks for all sites?

How does this affect where you do your clinical years? Do all specialty track people have to stay in KC? Or do they have modified tracks for all sites?

Yep you have to stay in KC if you decide to do the specialty tracks. Don't know if that's gunna change in the future.

Also, a Born of Osiris album cover for your avatar??!

Yep you have to stay in KC if you decide to do the specialty tracks. Don't know if that's gunna change in the future.

Also, a Born of Osiris album cover for your avatar??!

Any word on the COCA initiative to mandate at least 1 ward-based rotation for all DO students? I think there was supposed to be a vote for it in April.

If that is the case, where would KC students do their ward-based rotation?