Kansas City University (KCU-COM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary app submitted! Now I'm just confused about how to submit the letters of rec. :smack:

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!
Is doing re-takes after getting my degree consider "post-bacc program"? They ask that on the application haha

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary yet, but just received this:

"Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM. You are welcome to email the Office of Admissions for any further clarification at [email protected]."

Did anyone else get that?

No secondary yet, but just received this:

"Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM. You are welcome to email the Office of Admissions for any further clarification at [email protected]."

Did anyone else get that?
Yup, just got the same email a moment ago. Are they just now starting to review applications for secondaries?

Yup, just got the same email a moment ago. Are they just now starting to review applications for secondaries?

Got the same email. Sounds like they're going to screen us some more to see if we're secondary-worthy.

Hmmm, I didn't get a secondary OR that email. If I am rejected pre-secondary, they would let me know right?

Got the same email. Sounds like they're going to screen us some more to see if we're secondary-worthy.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I didn't realize they were so selective with their secondaries

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to all you applicants this year! KCU is an amazing school...hope to see some of you there next year!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
If you sent your letters to AACOMAS, KCU should be able to download them that way. But if you didn't, then Interfolio works too.

Okay, hopefully that's what will happen. I read on the secondary that all supplemental materials have to be sent to the admissions email, but I was super confused about if I had to re-send my letters to that email/how that would work with Interfolio if they couldn't get my letters off AACOMAS.

Yeah, that's what it sounds like. I didn't realize they were so selective with their secondaries

I also think it depends on when you were verified. They probably just reviewed the first "batch". I only received a secondary this morning and I was in the first wave.

Hoping I get the secondary today! No word yet-- but it looks like they are sending them out still right now!

I hope I get one. I'm bored and want something to work on lol.

And I'm highly interested in the school of course.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Don't sweat it man. It's not a "no" just yet.

Thanks, not too worried, just disappointed that my top DO schools don't seem to be too interested. Having way more luck with my MD apps despite strong interest in osteopathy and a great LOR from a DO that I worked closely with for 2 years. Oh well, this random process is out of our hands

Was working on my secondary earlier and now when I try to continue my app it doesn't load. Anyone else have same issue?

Thanks, not too worried, just disappointed that my top DO schools don't seem to be too interested. Having way more luck with my MD apps despite strong interest in osteopathy and a great LOR from a DO that I worked closely with for 2 years. Oh well, this random process is out of our hands

The DO application process will be slower than MD. That said, if you are offered an interview your chances are typically higher for acceptance with DO when compared to MD.

The DO application process will be slower than MD. That said, if you are offered an interview your chances are typically higher for acceptance with DO when compared to MD.

Thanks, that's good to know

Was working on my secondary earlier and now when I try to continue my app it doesn't load. Anyone else have same issue?
I was having the same problem. I entered my graduate program info and it won't load the next page afterwards. So I started removing one thing at a time and found out that certain textboxes have a character limit or something. If I exceeded the character limit, it will not load the next page and I had to refresh the page and start again.

Randomly got my secondary about an hour ago-- it was post-marked like hours ago -- I guess you might try checking your spam in the event that you're awaiting for it!

Randomly got my secondary about an hour ago-- it was post-marked like hours ago -- I guess you might try checking your spam in the event that you're awaiting for it!

It's true. I have Gmail which separates out emails and for some reason, KCU's emails tend to go to the "Promotions" tab.

Reactions: 2 users
Just FYI for everyone applying: whether you choose the KC or Joplin site, interviews will be conducted at the KC site since the Joplin one is still under construction.

If there are specific essays in the secondary that ask you to describe why you are to choose one campus over another please let me know so I can edit the secondary essays on this thread. And as always, you have many M2's and M3's here (@SynapticDoctah , @mamit1001 , @Higherprimate , @justkeepswimming , @chizledfrmstone , @Stagg737 ) to help answer your questions :). Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
It says on the secondary that all suporting documents must be turned in within the next 30 days. Does that include LORs? My committee letter won't be done until September...

It says on the secondary that all suporting documents must be turned in within the next 30 days. Does that include LORs? My committee letter won't be done until September...

LORs are supporting documents. I would email them and let them know.

LORs are supporting documents. I would email them and let them know.

Well, I panicked and called admissions :laugh: they were actually kind of stumped at first and put me on hold but came back shortly after to say that LORs aren't considered as supporting docs in this situation. So I just won't be reviewed for an interview until that LOR gets submitted. I can breathe now!

Well, I panicked and called admissions :laugh: they were actually kind of stumped at first and put me on hold but came back shortly after to say that LORs aren't considered as supporting docs in this situation. So I just won't be reviewed for an interview until that LOR gets submitted. I can breathe now!

Going off this, when in doubt just call admissions. They're really nice and very understanding. As long as you're being proactive and letting them know you're not just being lazy they're generally very flexible with stuff like LOR's. Even if you can't get through to them right away or they don't have the immediate answer, they work really hard to help ya'll out so don't be afraid to get in contact with them if you've got questions or are unsure about something. Good luck with the applications everyone!

P.S. I'm a current M3, so if anyone has questions on the pre-clinical years or how clinical rotations are organized feel free to ask or PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
Going off this, when in doubt just call admissions. They're really nice and very understanding. As long as you're being proactive and letting them know you're not just being lazy they're generally very flexible with stuff like LOR's. Even if you can't get through to them right away or they don't have the immediate answer, they work really hard to help ya'll out so don't be afraid to get in contact with them if you've got questions or are unsure about something. Good luck with the applications everyone!

P.S. I'm a current M3, so if anyone has questions on the pre-clinical years or how clinical rotations are organized feel free to ask or PM me.

How do you like the school? Can you give a basic list of pros/cons? Anything you like/dislike about the curriculum? Are the clinical rotations poor, decent, good?

Also guys, I emailed admissions, and if you submitted your letters through AACOMAS then they can download them and you don't need to resubmit them. Just figured I'd share in case anyone else was confused by their phrasing!

Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.

this question is a tough one...

Do you all think they mean like multiple tests in one week or a more significant life event than just academic obligations? Thanks

Depends on the person. When I wrote mine last year I talked about working full time as a teacher, taking classes, and being a wife and mother of two young kids all at once.

How do you like the school? Can you give a basic list of pros/cons? Anything you like/dislike about the curriculum? Are the clinical rotations poor, decent, good?

I have a lot of mixed feelings. I personally like the school and the curriculum a lot. First year is rough, second year is brutal. A few people thought second year was easier, but I think they're definitely the minority.

Pros: I felt very prepared for boards, and I wasn't near the top of the class. I like the curriculum, even if it does suck at times. Most of the professors I had really do want to help you and assuming you're putting the work in are willing to answer any questions you might have. The facilities are really nice, a lot better than a number of other schools I visited and the school is continually updating and improving the campus. Just the right amount of OMM imo. It's enough that if you're really interested in it, you'll get a strong understanding, but KCU isn't gung-ho on it like some other schools are. PCM is something I like a lot that I think a lot of my classmates probably weren't as positive about. Case presentations and seeing 'practice patients' was a really nice break from constantly staring at lectures and textbooks and was a nice reminder of what a lot of people are hoping to do with patients. I also love my class for the most part. As a whole I thought it was a great group of students and felt like everyone had a very "we're in this together attitude". Idk if I can say the same for the class under me, but KCU has historically been a place with pretty tight-knit classes that support each other. Outside of the school, KC is a pretty solid city. Nothing like LA or NYC, but it's big enough that there's stuff to do when you want a break and it's waaaaaay more affordable than a lot of other places I've lived. Especially if you look outside of the downtown area or in the suburbs. I almost forgot, the dual degree programs are also pretty cool and everyone I talked to that is in one seems to really enjoy it.

Cons: The biggest one for me was the disorganization. We were the first class with the new curriculum, and some of the communication and organization by the faculty/administration was awful. Imo there's no excuse for not having set test dates at the beginning of each semester (they were loosely set and some of them were moved), but from talking to some people that had to repeat first year, most of the organizational issues seem to have been worked out. I know this was never an issue for me, but a lot of my classmates also have a problem with the administration. Disorganization, seemingly pointless certifications that are supposed to make us "stand out" (some of them were cool, some seemed completely unnecessary), and inconsistency with academic issues or policies frustrated a lot of people. Regarding that aspect, I think if you just work hard, stay responsible, and treat people with general respect, there won't be issues on that front. The only other major negative I can think of is that you might end up somewhere you really don't want to go for 3rd year rotations, but that's a problem at almost every DO school unless they are connected to a hospital where every student rotates like MD schools are. Generally speaking, the vast majority of people will end up somewhere they choose though, so unless you want a site that everyone in your class wants, chances are you'll be fine.

As for rotations, we haven't started them yet, so I can't really speak to that point too much. I'm going to be rotating where I want, and I got a schedule that is about as good as I could have hoped for minus 1 or 2 rotations I'm unsure about. I've heard mixed things from upperclassmen. Some were really happy and loved that they got to work with a preceptor 1-on-1 because they got to see and do more than most med students will before residency. Others were really frustrated that they didn't get to rotate with residents and teams during every rotation. Imo it really depends on what you want to do with your career and what setting you want to practice in after residency. Either way, other than 1 requirement 4th year is almost entire electives, so if there was a setting or field you really wanted to rotate in but didn't get the chance to 3rd year, you can set it up yourself during 4th year (which is true of every med school, both MD and DO). Imo the pros and cons for rotations are mostly the same between almost all of the DO schools, the only major difference is which hospitals you have as your core site and the quality of that specific location.

Hopefully that helps, but if there's something more specific about rotations or the school feel free to ask or PM.

Describe a time when you had to prioritize multiple obligations in order to be successful.

Do you all think they mean like multiple tests in one week or a more significant life event than just academic obligations? Thanks

Won't be tough to answer once you get to med school. In seriousness though, try and come up with something better than just balancing tests. Everyone has finals weeks, so that doesn't really say "I'm proficient at balancing my life". Something like balancing school while participating in multiple clubs, organizing events, or playing college sports would be better. The time you talk about doesn't have to be short-term either, it can be an extended period like a semester or year when you had to consistently manage your time well. Keep in mind that med school is a marathon, not a sprint. So showing you can manage a tight schedule long-term is definitely a plus.

Reactions: 9 users
I have a lot of mixed feelings. I personally like the school and the curriculum a lot. First year is rough, second year is brutal. A few people thought second year was easier, but I think they're definitely the minority.

Pros: I felt very prepared for boards, and I wasn't near the top of the class. I like the curriculum, even if it does suck at times. Most of the professors I had really do want to help you and assuming you're putting the work in are willing to answer any questions you might have. The facilities are really nice, a lot better than a number of other schools I visited and the school is continually updating and improving the campus. Just the right amount of OMM imo. It's enough that if you're really interested in it, you'll get a strong understanding, but KCU isn't gung-ho on it like some other schools are. PCM is something I like a lot that I think a lot of my classmates probably weren't as positive about. Case presentations and seeing 'practice patients' was a really nice break from constantly staring at lectures and textbooks and was a nice reminder of what a lot of people are hoping to do with patients. I also love my class for the most part. As a whole I thought it was a great group of students and felt like everyone had a very "we're in this together attitude". Idk if I can say the same for the class under me, but KCU has historically been a place with pretty tight-knit classes that support each other. Outside of the school, KC is a pretty solid city. Nothing like LA or NYC, but it's big enough that there's stuff to do when you want a break and it's waaaaaay more affordable than a lot of other places I've lived. Especially if you look outside of the downtown area or in the suburbs. I almost forgot, the dual degree programs are also pretty cool and everyone I talked to that is in one seems to really enjoy it.

Cons: The biggest one for me was the disorganization. We were the first class with the new curriculum, and some of the communication and organization by the faculty/administration was awful. Imo there's no excuse for not having set test dates at the beginning of each semester (they were loosely set and some of them were moved), but from talking to some people that had to repeat first year, most of the organizational issues seem to have been worked out. I know this was never an issue for me, but a lot of my classmates also have a problem with the administration. Disorganization, seemingly pointless certifications that are supposed to make us "stand out" (some of them were cool, some seemed completely unnecessary), and inconsistency with academic issues or policies frustrated a lot of people. Regarding that aspect, I think if you just work hard, stay responsible, and treat people with general respect, there won't be issues on that front. The only other major negative I can think of is that you might end up somewhere you really don't want to go for 3rd year rotations, but that's a problem at almost every DO school unless they are connected to a hospital where every student rotates like MD schools are. Generally speaking, the vast majority of people will end up somewhere they choose though, so unless you want a site that everyone in your class wants, chances are you'll be fine.

As for rotations, we haven't started them yet, so I can't really speak to that point too much. I'm going to be rotating where I want, and I got a schedule that is about as good as I could have hoped for minus 1 or 2 rotations I'm unsure about. I've heard mixed things from upperclassmen. Some were really happy and loved that they got to work with a preceptor 1-on-1 because they got to see and do more than most med students will before residency. Others were really frustrated that they didn't get to rotate with residents and teams during every rotation. Imo it really depends on what you want to do with your career and what setting you want to practice in after residency. Either way, other than 1 requirement 4th year is almost entire electives, so if there was a setting or field you really wanted to rotate in but didn't get the chance to 3rd year, you can set it up yourself during 4th year (which is true of every med school, both MD and DO). Imo the pros and cons for rotations are mostly the same between almost all of the DO schools, the only major difference is which hospitals you have as your core site and the quality of that specific location.

Hopefully that helps, but if there's something more specific about rotations or the school feel free to ask or PM.

Won't be tough to answer once you get to med school. In seriousness though, try and come up with something better than just balancing tests. Everyone has finals weeks, so that doesn't really say "I'm proficient at balancing my life". Something like balancing school while participating in multiple clubs, organizing events, or playing college sports would be better. The time you talk about doesn't have to be short-term either, it can be an extended period like a semester or year when you had to consistently manage your time well. Keep in mind that med school is a marathon, not a sprint. So showing you can manage a tight schedule long-term is definitely a plus.

Awesome. This post was super informative. Thanks for taking the time to write this.

Reactions: 4 users

I talked about a semester where I spent time volunteering at an organization I started in my community, working 30 hours a week at my job, taking 4 upper level science classes with research, and studying for the MCAT while somehow pulling a 4.0 that semester out of my a$$. Everyone will be different though and stress is relative to the person. I'd try to pinpoint a time where you were stressed (outside of finals week) and how you coped with it. Just be transparent and I think you'll be fine!

I talked about a semester where I spent time volunteering at an organization I started in my community, working 30 hours a week at my job, taking 4 upper level science classes with research, and studying for the MCAT while somehow pulling a 4.0 that semester out of my a$$. Everyone will be different though and stress is relative to the person. I'd try to pinpoint a time where you were stressed (outside of finals week) and how you coped with it. Just be transparent and I think you'll be fine!
Thank you for your response! Solid work

Well, this post was phenomenal. Thank you! My only question would be about the Joplin campus. I asked the admissions office in Kansas City about it, but wasn't able to get as much information as I wanted out of them, as their focus is primarily on applications streaming in at the moment (as it should be). Have you heard if the Joplin campus will have the same research/rotation opportunities as Kansas City? I love that about the current campus, as well as all of the positives I've read about the current curriculum that you also talked about. Joplin is much closer to home for me though, so I am definitely interested if the opportunities for success will be similar! Thanks again for the awesome post! You and @AlteredScale have been lifesavers!

Have you heard if the Joplin campus will have the same research/rotation opportunities as Kansas City?

Research opportunities: probably not. In KC you have UMKC, KU Med, Stowers Medical Research Institute, as well as MRIGlobal all within minutes of the campus which allows for a more diverse research experience. Not to say Joplin won't have any but it will more thank likely be restricted to whatever researchers are recruited to the Joplin campus (unknown at this time) as well as which faculty and attending physicians with Freeman Health and Mercy Health actually conduct clinical research.

Rotations: I belive the majority of the class for Joplin will be doing their rotations there. Which means the Joplin site (both freeman health and mercy health) will no longer be available for students at the KC site but the school is almost always trying to improve and expand so that there is enough rotations spots that are high quality for everyone!

I think you have a great shot there especially if you are from the region and have a desire to stay there after graduation :) I'm sure they'll be expanding the GME in the Joplin hospitals just for those like you to fit the KCU-Joplin mission.

Just a little tidbit to add, I think because Dr. Dubin is gone and the school is in the recruiting phase for a new dean, the curriculum can be up to change once this decision happens but it won't be without a smooth transition phase-out of the old curriculum. I wouldn't worry much about it though. If this curriculum does the trick (and with little changes here and there) I highly doubt the school will want to change it.

Glad I could help you out!

Research opportunities: probably not. In KC you have UMKC, KU Med, Stowers Medical Research Institute, as well as MRIGlobal all within minutes of the campus which allows for a more diverse research experience. Not to say Joplin won't have any but it will more thank likely be restricted to whatever researchers are recruited to the Joplin campus (unknown at this time) as well as which faculty and attending physicians with Freeman Health and Mercy Health actually conduct clinical research.

Rotations: I belive the majority of the class for Joplin will be doing their rotations there. Which means the Joplin site (both freeman health and mercy health) will no longer be available for students at the KC site but the school is almost always trying to improve and expand so that there is enough rotations spots that are high quality for everyone!

I think you have a great shot there especially if you are from the region and have a desire to stay there after graduation :) I'm sure they'll be expanding the GME in the Joplin hospitals just for those like you to fit the KCU-Joplin mission.

Just a little tidbit to add, I think because Dr. Dubin is gone and the school is in the recruiting phase for a new dean, the curriculum can be up to change once this decision happens but it won't be without a smooth transition phase-out of the old curriculum. I wouldn't worry much about it though. If this curriculum does the trick (and with little changes here and there) I highly doubt the school will want to change it.

Glad I could help you out!
Ah, that makes sense. Great info to have if I'm lucky enough to score an interview, as well as actually having legitimate questions to ask them at the end. Thank you!

Ah, that makes sense. Great info to have if I'm lucky enough to score an interview, as well as actually having legitimate questions to ask them at the end. Thank you!
Glad to help and best of luck! I have no doubt you can land an interview here :)

Hey everyone! Another second year checking in :)

Just wanted to say that I've heard from a few faculty members now that despite Dr. Dubin leaving, not much will be changing with the curriculum, at least not at the KC site. When they first sent out a press release for Joplin, they mentioned it being more competency based but I'm not sure what that means/how that's much different than ours. For now, I'd say apply to both (if possible) and see where you end up fitting in better. Joplin is supposed to be another beautiful campus with a great hospital nearby, but KC has its perks too. :)

Good luck to all applying this year and feel free to send me any questions!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

To add to what @AlteredScale said about the curricuculum, I don't think it's going to change too much from where it is now. Even with Dr. Dubin gone, there are still a lot of professors from his previous schools that he brought with at both the teaching and administrative levels. Given how well my class is doing with boards so far it seems like something about the curriculum worked. For reference, of the first 90 people to take boards all of them passed and the COMLEX average was a 577.8. For those that aren't familiar with it, the average is usually between 515 and 535 and the highest average for a class I've ever seen is a 572. The 577 will likely come down a bit, but there's still a good chance we may end up with the highest average in the country this year.

Edit: Lol, Mamit beat me to it :p

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks @mamit1001 and @Stagg737 ! Hopefully I didn't scare everyone with what I said. I was just mentioning that it could happen but if it did (which is highly unlikely at this point) it would go with an announcement to the coming class as well as a solid transition phase if the incoming class has to go with the "old" curriculum and test out the new one.

In regard to the competency based curriculum in Joplin. I believe (and don't count me word for word on this) it has something to do with Dr. Hahn's Blue Ribbon Commission on Osteopathic Medical Education in which they want to create seamless curriculum between UGME (med school) and GME (residency) through the use of competencies as supposed to exams and integrate clinical time early on. This really does remind me of the curriculum that is utilized at the Cleveland Clinic Lerner College of Medicine (CWRU SOM College Track). It's hard to say if that is exactly what will happen in Jolin though because I remember another press release saying the same curriculum that is in KC will be used in Joplin haha.