Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone with a low MCAT and high GPA been accepted post-interview? My GPA is a 3.9, but my mcat is a 23s. I felt like my interview went extremely well, but they did bring up my low MCAT score, which worried me. Students have told me that if I got an interview, then my scores have already made the cut and the decision is based on how I interview. Is that true?

Has anyone with a low MCAT and high GPA been accepted post-interview? My GPA is a 3.9, but my mcat is a 23s. I felt like my interview went extremely well, but they did bring up my low MCAT score, which worried me. Students have told me that if I got an interview, then my scores have already made the cut and the decision is based on how I interview. Is that true?

I got in

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't stress too much. An interview is granted because they accept you on paper, so they obviously saw past your low MCAT score. I don't think the final review of interviewees is based solely on interview, however.

anyone interviewing on the 13th? If anyone is down to do something tomorrow or even after the interview since I leave thursday morning then pm me!

anyone interviewing on the 13th? If anyone is down to do something tomorrow or even after the interview since I leave thursday morning then pm me!

Unfortunately, I'll be getting in late and leaving early but it's nice to know some people that are interviewing! Look forward to meeting you!

What about the opposite? Higher MCAT with lower GPAs? 29/3.3/3.1 sGPA

For those of you who have already interviewed..did you bring anything? Purse, bag, notebook? Did you find that it was necessary or nice to take notes? Thanks in advance!:)

For those of you who have already interviewed..did you bring anything? Purse, bag, notebook? Did you find that it was necessary or nice to take notes? Thanks in advance!:)

I interviewed today and I brought with me a copy of my AACOMAS application, my secondary and what I wrote for my E.C. but I didn't have time to review it since you'll be really busy admiring the campus and enjoying the interactions with your fellow interviewees and the friendly staff and faculty.

I brought a purse and a padfolio to today's interview. You don't need to write anything down at all, unless you like keeping notes. =] Most of the info is easy to remember/already online, and if you really need to, you can always summarize your thoughts afterwards if you're worried about getting all the schools confused. A lot of the useful information you'll get will be during the tours, since that's when a lot of questions come up, and walking+writing = blegh anyways!
Also, don't worry about having a copy of your application with you since you won't need it.

Just spoke with admissions. they said class is full and no more interviews will be given out. So if you have had an interview, Good luck! and if you havent had one, then probably wont get one.

Just out of curiosity, how long are summer breaks? I am asking because I would like to return to a hospital where I completed an internship for another summer-long internship

Members don't see this ad :)
Just spoke with admissions. they said class is full and no more interviews will be given out. So if you have had an interview, Good luck! and if you havent had one, then probably wont get one.
When did the class fill up? Does this include the applicants who already interviewed? I interviewed Jan 30th, but haven't received the letter yet. Does this mean that I will be wait-listed or rejected? Or have decisions already been made for everyone who has interviewed? I'm worried!

When did the class fill up? Does this include the applicants who already interviewed? I interviewed Jan 30th, but haven't received the letter yet. Does this mean that I will be wait-listed or rejected? Or have decisions already been made for everyone who has interviewed? I'm worried!

Maybe you were the very last one accepted and they just filled it up after reviewing yours.

Maybe you were the very last one accepted and they just filled it up after reviewing yours.
Hopefully! But I'm not even sure if the admissions committee even reviewed the student applications from the Jan 30th interview. :-(

Hopefully! But I'm not even sure if the admissions committee even reviewed the student applications from the Jan 30th interview. :-(

They sent me an acceptance in about 2 weeks, so they could have! Otherwise yes you did interview for a waitlist. Do you have other interviews/acceptances?

They sent me an acceptance in about 2 weeks, so they could have! Otherwise yes you did interview for a waitlist. Do you have other interviews/acceptances?
I had things cleared up. The class isn't filled up, but the interview sections are. Since I already interviewed I should be okay. The decisions letters should be going out tomorrow. But no, I didn't get any other interviews or acceptances. :-(

I just heard from the admissions office and they said the decision letters from the Jan 30th interview should be mailed tomorrow! Eeeek! :eek:

I can't for the life of me remember what the students at the interview said about their daily schedule. Does anybody know what the typical day of a student is (class everyday? What times?)

Thanks! And I look forward to meeting you all in August! :)

I can't for the life of me remember what the students at the interview said about their daily schedule. Does anybody know what the typical day of a student is (class everyday? What times?)

Thanks! And I look forward to meeting you all in August! :)

daily schedule depends on the day...classes start bright and early at 8am (though to be honest many do skip the 8am) theyll generally go til noon or 11am depending on the section then 1 hr for lunch and afternoon can be anywhere from free, labs til 5, or an hour or 2 of classes

tuesdays are ocs lab days so you switch off from a 1-3pm lab and 3-5pm lab each week

I had things cleared up. The class isn't filled up, but the interview sections are. Since I already interviewed I should be okay. The decisions letters should be going out tomorrow. But no, I didn't get any other interviews or acceptances. :-(

Phew, I was so bummed when I read the earlier post about the class being filled, as I just interviewed this week and really really liked kcumb. :woot:

Good luck, 108259 (and everyone else)! Hope you get some good news soon!!!

Phew, I was so bummed when I read the earlier post about the class being filled, as I just interviewed this week and really really liked kcumb. :woot:

Good luck, 108259 (and everyone else)! Hope you get some good news soon!!!

My face was pretty much :uhno: Let's hope we all get good news in a couple weeks! How did you interview experience go?

My face was pretty much :uhno: Let's hope we all get good news in a couple weeks! How did you interview experience go?

Hahah yeah! I pretty much freaked out for a bit there. XD

The interview went really great. The interviewers were really friendly, and I really liked how their questions flowed with my answers, as opposed to the interviews where you're basically asked a list of questions. Very conversational and laid back, and there were quite a bit of laughs. They seemed happy with my answers....or they were just pretending to like me :laugh: How'd yours go? I think we interviewed the same day (2/11), if I'm reading these posts right.

Can't wait for admissions to mail out their decisions!

Sweet! I have until March 15th for both acceptance and matriculation fees!

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

On the 'my interview day' page it says that if we have been accepted between Jan 15 - June 14 we have 14 days to submit the acceptance fee. Are they just ignoring this? Is there any advantage to paying this fee earlier than the March 15th final deadline for both fees?

Congrats on your acceptance! :)

On the 'my interview day' page it says that if we have been accepted between Jan 15 - June 14 we have 14 days to submit the acceptance fee. Are they just ignoring this? Is there any advantage to paying this fee earlier than the March 15th final deadline for both fees?
I read that too about the 14 days, but I e-mailed to check with admissions and they told me March 15th for both and that I'd receive a letter a few days after my acceptance letter stating that (which I did). The only advantage I can see is that you won't owe $2000 all at once. I'm sure you can pay it earlier if you'd like, but it's not required until the matriculation fee is due.

Thanks!

I read that too about the 14 days, but I e-mailed to check with admissions and they told me March 15th for both and that I'd receive a letter a few days after my acceptance letter stating that (which I did). The only advantage I can see is that you won't owe $2000 all at once. I'm sure you can pay it earlier if you'd like, but it's not required until the matriculation fee is due.

Thanks!

Okay awesome! I was panicking because I got my acceptance letter a few days after it was dated and then a snowstorm came (I live in Canada), so I didn't get mail for 3 days in a row. I thought I was cutting it close for mailing in the fee. Thanks so much :)

Okay awesome! I was panicking because I got my acceptance letter a few days after it was dated and then a snowstorm came (I live in Canada), so I didn't get mail for 3 days in a row. I thought I was cutting it close for mailing in the fee. Thanks so much :)
No problem!

I'm curious if anyone from the Jan. 23rd group has received a letter yet.

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the letter!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love:

Interviewed Jan 30th. GPA: 3.9, MCAT: 23s.

Hahah yeah! I pretty much freaked out for a bit there. XD

The interview went really great. The interviewers were really friendly, and I really liked how their questions flowed with my answers, as opposed to the interviews where you're basically asked a list of questions. Very conversational and laid back, and there were quite a bit of laughs. They seemed happy with my answers....or they were just pretending to like me :laugh: How'd yours go? I think we interviewed the same day (2/11), if I'm reading these posts right.

Can't wait for admissions to mail out their decisions!

That's good to hear! Yes, we did interview the same day. I agree, my interviewers were really friendly as well. The interview seemed tailored for my interests and the questions in response to my answers did flow very well. I am a little worried that my interview lasted only 15-20 minutes and at the end my interviewer basically said we don't have any more questions for you and asked me if I thought they missed anything. I figured if they thought there was something important that they needed to know, they would've made sure to ask.

Where else have you interviewed? Where does this school fall on your list?

I GOT IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got the letter!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love:

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :highfive:

That's good to hear! Yes, we did interview the same day. I agree, my interviewers were really friendly as well. The interview seemed tailored for my interests and the questions in response to my answers did flow very well. I am a little worried that my interview lasted only 15-20 minutes and at the end my interviewer basically said we don't have any more questions for you and asked me if I thought they missed anything. I figured if they thought there was something important that they needed to know, they would've made sure to ask.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :highfive:

Don't worry about the length of the interview. Mine was about the same and I was accepted. Content over quantity!

Congrats!!! :highfive:

I think mine was around that length as well, and if I recall correctly, that's also how they ended it (and then followed that up with "do you have any questions for us?" I had an interview at another school end before the halfway point, and that turned out fine, so I wouldn't worry about length! =]

Last edited:
I have an interview coming up here and am wondering whether we have to remove our suit jacket when we go to try on a white coat? I have small hole in my dress shirt and nobody can see it as I wear it under a suit jacket. Did you guys have to take off the suit jacket during the white coat fitting?

Yup you gotta take your suit jacket off to try on the white coat

Got my acceptance today!

Congratulations!!! :D Do you mind sharing your stats and/or EC please? I interviewed on the 11th and I am very eagerly waiting for the decision - really liked the school and all that it has to offer!

Congratulations!!! :D Do you mind sharing your stats and/or EC please? I interviewed on the 11th and I am very eagerly waiting for the decision - really liked the school and all that it has to offer!
I interviewed on the 23rd. 25/3.8 overall/3.6 science