Kansas City (KCUMB-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a receipt, but it took a few weeks. I wouldn't worry. As long as someone confirmed they received your deposit in an email, I'm sure it's nothing to get concerned about.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad I'm not the only neurotic one here. I called to check if they received mine as well, and yes it took a while to get the receipt through the mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I'll probably call too better to be safe (or neurotic) than sorry! :cool:

I withdrew my application today, good luck to you guys! It's a great school. :)

anyone else on SDN interviewing on the 11th of Feb?

Does anyone know if lectures are recorded? I'm sure they discussed this at the interview, but schools are starting to run together for me. I think I remembered them saying that lectures weren't recorded to encourage attendance, but does this mean that there's NO way to reference lectures?

Students arent allowed to recored lecturers according to the student handbook but to answer your question, all lectures are recorded and videotaped but im unsure of if you can play them back at a faster rate.

Yes, you can play them back at a faster rate, or for that matter a slower speed. This isn't possible on an iPad yet, but that's only an issue with the program, not the school. The fastest is double speed, which is sometimes too fast and there is an intermediate speed as well.

Does anyone know if lectures are recorded? I'm sure they discussed this at the interview, but schools are starting to run together for me. I think I remembered them saying that lectures weren't recorded to encourage attendance, but does this mean that there's NO way to reference lectures?

majority of lectures are recorded and allowed to go at 2x speed (among other speed options) I think the ipad version can't change speed though (thats something with the apple app) a few lectures are not recorded at the lecturers request but you will be notified in advance if/when that comes up (personally i don't recall having a non-recorded lecture)

Sometimes we all need a good pick me up...:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
majority of lectures are recorded and allowed to go at 2x speed (among other speed options) I think the ipad version can't change speed though (thats something with the apple app) a few lectures are not recorded at the lecturers request but you will be notified in advance if/when that comes up (personally i don't recall having a non-recorded lecture)
Thanks! So I would be using an iPad. Are you saying that I'll be able to view lectures on it but not fast forward?

Thanks! So I would be using an iPad. Are you saying that I'll be able to view lectures on it but not fast forward?

That is correct. As of right now there is no option to speed up lectures on the iPad. I would suggest having a computer too, as there may be a need for flash animation, which the iPad is unable to play.

That is correct. As of right now there is no option to speed up lectures on the iPad. I would suggest having a computer too, as there may be a need for flash animation, which the iPad is unable to play.
Got it...thanks!

Anyone know when jan 11 interview date decision letters are going out?
I called the other day and they said that the information from those interviews just went up to the office on monday, letters should go out late this week/early next week according to admissions office

I called the other day and they said that the information from those interviews just went up to the office on monday, letters should go out late this week/early next week according to admissions office
Ugh...I have a deposit due at another school tomorrow and was hoping to hear from KCUMB first. Would it be inappropriate to call and ask if I was accepted? :)

Ugh...I have a deposit due at another school tomorrow and was hoping to hear from KCUMB first. Would it be inappropriate to call and ask if I was accepted? :)

I would call...the osteopathic schools know how expensive these deposits can be and usually they are willing to tell you the answer over the phone (be ready to fax the due date of when your deposit is due..some schools require that)

I would call...the osteopathic schools know how expensive these deposits can be and usually they are willing to tell you the answer over the phone (be ready to fax the due date of when your deposit is due..some schools require that)
Really?! You think it would be ok to call? Seems a bit pushy to me, but I hate to waste my money if I am accepted.

Really?! You think it would be ok to call? Seems a bit pushy to me, but I hate to waste my money if I am accepted.
I'm in the same boat actually.. I have a deposit due tomorrow. I called and explained what was going on and was told that they couldn't tell me over phone. Have to wait for the letter..

I'm in the same boat actually.. I have a deposit due tomorrow. I called and explained what was going on and was told that they couldn't tell me over phone. Have to wait for the letter..
I did the same thing....well, I e-mailed. I explained situation and was told that letters would be mailed today and I'd have to wait. Guess I'll be paying my deposit. That might hinder my decision to go to KCUMB...ugh.

letters from the jan 11th interviews were sent out friday:thumbup:

Hello everyone,

This has been a great board to learn about KCUMB. Thanks to those who put in the time to answer questions for the rest of us.

I have been offered admission to KCUMB (and AZCOM). For my decision, I am trying to evaluate the strengths and the workings of clerkships between these two schools.

Specifically for KCUMB, I have the following questions:

1) Can someone comment on the strengths/reputations of the various KCUMB core sites? I am mostly interested in Fam Med, Int Med, Ped. Are there sites that are considered very strong in these areas?

2) I would prefer to fulfill all my rotation requirements for 3rd & 4th year staying at Kansas City itslef. Is this possible? (I am not a big fan of packing up and travelling frequently).

3) I see no university hospitals in the KCUMB core sites. Is this considered a drawback in any sense? (such as getting into allopathic matching residencies)

4) In general, any thoughts on which of these 2 schools has a stronger clerkship program?

Thanks for any info you can share. You are welcome to pm me as well for specific answers.

ACCEPTED!! Got the letter today...interviewed Jan. 11. Now I have some decisions to make!

So has anyone else who's been accepted for a while kind of thinking "ok... now what?" I don't know if I should have received anything in the mail yet or not. I thought I was supposed to receive something in January. I really have no idea what to expect.

Any thoughts?

From what I heard on the Facebook group, some of our classmates have called admissions and they said that we should be receiving a matriculation packet soon-how soon, I don't know. Could be this week or maybe even the next month or so. Just my understanding.

From what I heard on the Facebook group, some of our classmates have called admissions and they said that we should be receiving a matriculation packet soon-how soon, I don't know. Could be this week or maybe even the next month or so. Just my understanding.

don't worry about the packet if memory serves me correct there wasnt a ton in it...just make sure you fill out your fafsa and that you start any 3 shot immunizations like hep b and if like me youve had a + ppd then make sure you got all the proper paperwork (INH therapy etc)...if you are still thinking about living in places other than CT that you reach out to 1st or 2nd years or visit KC to look at places..I think you will get your big sibling around may or june and youll get a call from us 1st yrs around june/july for any last minute questions before you get up here....just relax until school starts :)

Just interviewed and really enjoyed the school and what it was about. What is the notification turnover time range for the interview-decision if I interviewed last week?

ACCEPTED!!! Just got the letter in the mail.

Just interviewed and really enjoyed the school and what it was about. What is the notification turnover time range for the interview-decision if I interviewed last week?
2-4 weeks...pretty dead on. Took 3 weeks and 1 day for me.

2-4 weeks...pretty dead on. Took 3 weeks and 1 day for me.
Once you get accepted, how long until 1st deposit? Is it 30 days (same as everywhere else)? Do we receive any kind of notification of what specific date it's due? I've only received the congrats letter.

Per the website on the KCUMB Fees tab: http://www.kcumb.edu/admissions/financial-aid/tuition-fees/com/

Acceptance Fee $1,000

Accepted applicants need to make sure payment is received according to the following schedule:
-those accepted prior to Nov. 15 will have until Dec. 14;
-those accepted between Nov. 15 and Jan. 14 will have 30 days;
-those accepted between Jan. 15 and June 14 will have 14 days;
-those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Acceptance fees should be mailed to the Admissions Office. The Acceptance fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.

Matriculation Fee $1,000

Payable according to the following schedule:
-those accepted prior to March 1 will have until March 15;
-those accepted between March 1 and June 14 will have 14 days to submit a combined acceptance and matriculation fee totaling $2,000;
-those accepted on or after June 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.

Payment is credited toward tuition once payment of the balance of the tuition is received. Mail Matriculation Fee to the Admissions office. Fee is non-refundable regardless of reason.

Also, I'm 99% positive that the acceptance date is the date on the letter.
Thank you for all the info! So I only have 14 days...yikes! And...if it's from the date that's on the letter, I don't even have 14...more like 10!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting? I interviewed on Jan 30th and was wondering when to expect the letter. Thanks!

Does anyone know when the admissions committee is meeting? I interviewed on Jan 30th and was wondering when to expect the letter. Thanks!
It'll be 2-4 weeks...dead on. Hang in there!

I know that the admissions committee meets every other week. The interviews that fall the same week as the meeting get a letter within about 2 weeks. Those that don't fall the same week hear back about 3-4 weeks after. So I was just wondering if they met the week of Jan 30th or not so I have a better estimate of the time frame. Waiting is so hard! Especially because KCUMB is my top choice. :-/

Thank you for all the info! So I only have 14 days...yikes! And...if it's from the date that's on the letter, I don't even have 14...more like 10!
Sweet! I have until March 15th for both acceptance and matriculation fees!

i want in this school so bad.....hope i get good news in a couple of weeks.

Does anyone know of you can pay the acceptance/matriculation fee over the phone?