January 2008 Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesL1585

TheAntiSavior?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the scores will be out in the next 2 weeks or so... why? B/c I said so...

Oh, I better back that statement up with evidence... lol But last year the scores were sent to the testakes in 5 weeks, and I think the same goes for this year.... lets cross our fingers!! I have interviews waiting to happen b/c of this stupid PCAT!

Members don't see this ad.

I got it today...

Verbal 379/20% ---->393/ 40%:D
Bio 408/65%----->424/83% :D
Reading 380/21-------->402/53% :D
Math 456/97%------>455/97% :oops:
Chemistry 448/96%------>465/99% :D
Composite 414/76%------>428/91% :D:D:D

Writing 3/3

I was so happy with what I got...my had-work....yay....!!!!!!!!

verbal ability: 93
biology: 90
reading comp: 89
quant ability: 91
chemistry: 69
composite: 92

4 and 3 on the writing

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got back from work and took my mail from my mailbox. My 83 composite makes me fairly happy. Did anybody else's come in a blank envelope with no return address from Harcourt Assessment ?
Confused me :confused:. Didn't expect a PCAT score in a blank envelope, started thinking it was junkmail and was almost about to throw it away if it didn't have my name on it. :laugh:

mine did also! i was sorting my mail over the trash can and almost tossed it out!!!

i got an 80 up from a 61. i can't believe i did the best in math which i am the weakest in :laugh:

verbal 75
bio 74
reading 60 :oops:
quantitative 89
chemistry 79
composite 80

writing conv. of language 4, problem solving 3:rolleyes:

it's not a 99 like you braniacs but i'm still happy :p......;):D

has anyone in Canada gotten their score back yet, more specifically Vancouver?

Verbal-------55:)
Biology------69:)
Reading-----66:)
Quant-------9:D
Chemistry---82:)

Comp-------79

Even though it is not a 90, I am pretty happy with it. I really struggled on the Verbal and Reading sections the last two times I took it and that really kept down my composite score, but I was able to bring them up by atleast 25-30 points. The first time I took the PCAT I got a 41 in June, then in October I got a 53 and now a 79:).

I have a 4.00 GPA and I am applying to Michigan State and Ferris State.

Verbal Ability: 8:p
Biology: 87:)
Reading: 94:rolleyes:
Quant: 86:eek::)
Chem: 92:eek::)
Composite: 92:luck:

I'm pretty happy, my last composite was 82 and my quant was like 48 and my chem was like 79.

Verbal-------55:)
Biology------69:)
Reading-----66:)
Quant-------9:D
Chemistry---82:)

Comp-------79

Even though it is not a 90, I am pretty happy with it. I really struggled on the Verbal and Reading sections the last two times I took it and that really kept down my composite score, but I was able to bring them up by atleast 25-30 points. The first time I took the PCAT I got a 41 in June, then in October I got a 53 and now a 79:).

I have a 4.00 GPA and I am applying to Michigan State and Ferris State.

Oh yea my writing scores were 3 and 3
and i also got mine in a blank envelope
are the scores up on pharmcas for people?

Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Convention of Language - 3
Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

You tell me if I should retake because my scores are so lobsided.

Hey! Im in GA and just got my scores this morning.
Verbal..35(ouch)
Biology...78
Reading...60
Math....89
Chem....89
Composite...78

That verbal section is killing me! Do you guys think they look mostly at the composite or pay attention to like Chem and Bio. I mean it is PHARMACY school.
How many times are you guys willing to retake to reach a composite of atleast 90?

Finally received my scores here in Seattle today!:) They were much better than I expected considering I have been out of school for nearly 2 years. Luckily since college my work is somewhat academic and related to the health sciences. My scores were:

Verbal Ability - 455 - 98
Biology - 460 - 98
Reading Comp - 430 - 89
Quantitative Ab. - 429 - 89
Chemistry - 448 - 96
Composite - 444 - 98

Undergraduate GPA: 3.86 @Washington State Unviersity

I am considering applying to the University of Washington, Washington State University, and possibly to the University of California San Francisco. Does anyone know what UW and UCSF look for when applying? What are there typical PCAT scores/undergrad GPA? Does UCSF accept out of state applicants? Thank you.

You might have a chance. I had 7 interviews with 59% PCAT. You never know. Anything over 50% make it possible for the interview invitation. When I got a call for and interview, I mentioned to them how poor my PCAT is. And they said "well.. it's over 50%". I don't know if it's a joke.

No its no joke I've heard the same thing, I believe its their minimum..

Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

I think it really depends on where your applying..some schools are fine with a 50% composite, but I believe just so long as you have good GPA, some pharmacy experience, some volunteer work, and a really good essay(s) can help too.

Members don't see this ad :)
mine did also! i was sorting my mail over the trash can and almost tossed it out!!!

i got an 80 up from a 61. i can't believe i did the best in math which i am the weakest in :laugh:

verbal 75
bio 74
reading 60 :oops:
quantitative 89
chemistry 79
composite 80

writing conv. of language 4, problem solving 3:rolleyes:

it's not a 99 like you braniacs but i'm still happy :p......;):D

How did you study for the math portion? Thats where I'm really stumped on how/what to study..

4 and 3 on the writing

In my OPINION I think your good..although not sure if some schools look at individual scores, but even then I STILL think your fine..:)

I got it today...

Verbal 379/20% ---->393/ 40%:D
Bio 408/65%----->424/65% :D
Reading 380/21-------->402/53% :D
Math 456/97%------>455/97% :oops:
Chemistry 448/96%------>465/99% :D
Composite 414/76%------>428/91% :D:D:D

Writing 3/3

I was so happy with what I got...my had-work....yay....!!!!!!!!

Man I want your chem score!! how did you study for the chem portion?

I don't know how come i received the score before PharmCAS. It hasn't been posted on PharmCAS yet.
I just checked on my application status to my school of choice and it also said they hadn't received my Jan19th scores. I might wait a few days or call tomorrow.

Hey! Im in GA and just got my scores this morning.
Verbal..35(ouch)
Biology...78
Reading...60
Math....89
Chem....89
Composite...78

That verbal section is killing me! Do you guys think they look mostly at the composite or pay attention to like Chem and Bio. I mean it is PHARMACY school.
How many times are you guys willing to retake to reach a composite of atleast 90?

After studying for the GRE exam for a few months and regularly reading I found the verbal section less than challenging. I suggest reading more academic level literature, and studying GRE/SAT exam vocab and practice tests. This would enable you to learn the most widely used words in standardized testing quickly. Also word roots would help as well. When you decide to retake the exam the extra vocab may help in other parts of the test such as reading comp. and writing. Best of luck.

verbal 96
biology 94
read comp 53! :mad:
quant. 83
chemistry 86
composite 91

writing 3/3.5

stupid reading comprehension...

Not quite. Each section is weighted equally, but the composite score is a percentile, as is each section score. It has nothing to do with the average of the sections - it's just how well you did overall compared to everyone else.

Think about it this way - to get in the top percentile in the nation (to get a 99) you do not need to get a 99 in each individual section, because pretty much no one is going to be able to do that. If you get around the 92nd percentile in each section, when you look at your scores at a whole they might be in the top 1% of all test takers, so you would get a 99 composite. On the flip side, if you get a 5% on each section, bombing every area, you might be in the bottom 1% because most people are not going to consistently get a really low score in each area. Does that make sense?

Thanks Captain Obvious.

I totally bombed it. My composite score is 68 percent. It was my first time taking it, and I didn't get to study much. I can only hope that it is enough to get me an interview so I can muster my charm and charisma to the interviewer(s) to make up for the crappy score.

The problem is, I am neither charming nor charismatic. :rolleyes:

Finally received my scores here in Seattle today!:) They were much better than I expected considering I have been out of school for nearly 2 years. Luckily since college my work is somewhat academic and related to the health sciences. My scores were:

Verbal Ability - 455 - 98
Biology - 460 - 98
Reading Comp - 430 - 89
Quantitative Ab. - 429 - 89
Chemistry - 448 - 96
Composite - 444 - 98

Undergraduate GPA: 3.86 @Washington State Unviersity

I am considering applying to the University of Washington, Washington State University, and possibly to the University of California San Francisco. Does anyone know what UW and UCSF look for when applying? What are there typical PCAT scores/undergrad GPA? Does UCSF accept out of state applicants? Thank you.

You should consider UCSD as well. UCSF doesn't require the PCAT and I do not know if your awesome PCAT scores gives you more brownie points. You do not need it anyways, you have an awesome GPA. Yes, UCSF accepts out of state students.

Man I want your chem score!! how did you study for the chem portion?

Chem is always my strongest part. I am a CHEM tutor thus I know how to find good sources for myself. The way I study is to do as many questions as I can so I can the concepts and trick questions. Many good sources for CHEM practice like: SAT chem Subject (very alike and many trick questions), Barron PCAT book [a good concept, their questions are very basic and often have some questions alike in the test too ^^], For Organic [review last section about Organic in Chem General book [yup, they are there] + review the text book ^^ for some but not everything ]

I am happy with my CHEM part :D sine I know pharmacy very relates to Chemistry.

Verbal - 412 - 71
Biology - 449 - 96
Reading - 406 - 60
Quantitative - 407 - 55
Chemistry - 407 - 65
Composite - 415 - 78

Problem Solving - 4

GPA Overall 3.8
Science is a 3.67.

the math and chem is bad and in my opninion should be repeated but still good.

Does anyone know if they look at the subscores individually in addition to the composite??

Does anyone know if they look at the subscores individually in addition to the composite??

Well, it depends on who "they" are for you. Some schools have minimum scores for each section (or certain sections), but other schools don't. You need to check with your prospective school(s) to see what they expect.

You might have a chance. I had 7 interviews with 59% PCAT. You never know. Anything over 50% make it possible for the interview invitation. When I got a call for and interview, I mentioned to them how poor my PCAT is. And they said "well.. it's over 50%". I don't know if it's a joke.
You must have exceptional GPA. Can you also PM me which school you applied?

Got my new scores yesterday!

1st: August 2007 Oct 2007 Jan 08
Verbal: 419 79% 404 58% 412 71%
Biology: 419 78% 408 65% 428 87%
Reading Comprehension: 407 61% 412 69% 419 79%
Quantitative Ability: 419 81% 402 57% 414 75%
Chemistry: 397 49% 414 74% 418 79%
Composite: 412 73%:rolleyes: 408 66%:mad: 418 82%:love:

I don't know what happened between the 1st and 2nd scores.... but after that I did the kaplan review online and look at my scores now!!! The kaplan set me back 1220$ but I increased so much, it was worth it!!! Hopefully that will be the last time I take it because I am hoping to hear something soon from my schools! I interviewed 2 weeks ago at MUSC and I have had my fingers crossed ever since -it's just too bad that they don't look at my most recent pcat!!!

soooo, i got my scores today, a lil disappointed. first time taking the pcat and applied already for fall 2008.

verbal: 66
biology: 74
reading: 84
math: 67
chem: 69
composite: 75

my overall gpa is 3.83 and my science gpa is 3.87. i applied to all ny schools. think i have a good chance of interview invites/acceptances? i dont wanna take that test again!!

Repost from another thread; seems this is more appropriate.

So I have been lurking and reading this forum for some time now, and I thought now was the time to get some input on the January examination. First, I suppose it is in order for me to tell you all a bit about my GPA and things because ultimately, I want to know if I should retake the exam.

At a very good school known for Chemistry and Engineering:
Overall GPA: 3.68 (no "C's", just many "B's".)
Pre-req GPA: 3.83
I have a published piece of work with a patent on the actual material.
The former fact was accomplished with undergraduate research; 2 semesters of it, and more this summer.
Involved in many campus organizations, and started one my own.
In some honor societies, but I am sure they just want money and don't mean much.
I have been a Supplemental Instructor (basically an undergraduate TA) in Chemistry, Biology, and Calculus.
I am pretty good with interviews, but....
I HAVE NO PHARMACY EXPERIENCE!!!

The most recent examination of the PCAT (January) was my first time taking it. I would ultimately like to get into a school that is close to home (the Peach state; Georgia.) So I am applying (for sure, but it may be more) in the Fall of 2009 to:

University of Florida (Out of state but father and grandfather both attended there)
University of Georgia (In state residence wise, yet I go to school out of state)
MUSC (Charleston) (I have a pretty famous relative there with a building named after him; I also have much of my family in the beautiful coast of South Carolina in Charleston.)
Auburn (Very close to home, but east Alabama is comparable to a third world country.)

My PCAT went well for my first time in my opinion. The following are the percentages:

Verbal Ability: 81
Biology: 83
Reading Comprehension: 96
Quantitative Ability: 75
Chemistry: 74
Composite: 87

Conventions of Language: 3
Problem Solving: 3

I am very surprised that I scored so well in reading comprehension. That has usually been my weakest area, and I was pleased to see that I did well. Regardless, both Math and Science are stereotypically my best areas of study, and yet I didn't do too well on either. With all that being said, should I retake with what you have read about me to get in the schools formally mentioned? Anyone's input would be greatly appreciated; I am a bit naive when it comes this process, and what I need to do. Thanks.

Got my new scores yesterday!

1st: August 2007 Oct 2007 Jan 08
Verbal: 419 79% 404 58% 412 71%
Biology: 419 78% 408 65% 428 87%
Reading Comprehension: 407 61% 412 69% 419 79%
Quantitative Ability: 419 81% 402 57% 414 75%
Chemistry: 397 49% 414 74% 418 79%
Composite: 412 73%:rolleyes: 408 66%:mad: 418 82%:love:

I don't know what happened between the 1st and 2nd scores.... but after that I did the kaplan review online and look at my scores now!!! The kaplan set me back 1220$ but I increased so much, it was worth it!!! Hopefully that will be the last time I take it because I am hoping to hear something soon from my schools! I interviewed 2 weeks ago at MUSC and I have had my fingers crossed ever since -it's just too bad that they don't look at my most recent pcat!!!

how did you get your money back from kaplan. I took the online class aswell and I increased, but I thought they only give you the money back if you dont increase.

Welcome to SDN. So you have an 87 PCAT and a ton of other things that should embellish your application, yet you are wondering whether to retake. I hope you are serious. Here is a bit of sarcasm: Retake the test until you score 99% on both chem and math. Better yet, until you have 99% composite.

Meanwhile with my 3.4 science GPA and my humble volunteer hours, and my sincere essay got me two interviews.

Case close.

how did you get your money back from kaplan. I took the online class aswell and I increased, but I thought they only give you the money back if you dont increase.

Re-read the post. He said Kaplan "...set me back...," not sent me back. ;-)

I am pretty good with interviews, but....
I HAVE NO PHARMACY EXPERIENCE!!!

I'd worry about experience more than the PCAT. The Fall 2007 class for my favored school had an average PCAT of 79. The majority of applicants, however, had some form of pharmacy experience.

Finally the wait is over! I got my scores in yesterday. I literally ran to the mailbox after I saw the mail man drive by. I must have looked so ridiculous.

Anyway, first time taking the PCAT 85 composite - rocked the Chem & Verbal section, good in Bio & Reading comprehension, but my math and writing were "blah." For one thing I hate writing essays during tests and I'm calculator dependent. But I'll just have to work on that. It's weird because my scores for math and writing are not representative of my grades in those subjects.

I'm thinking about retaking the PCAT again even though the California schools don't require it. I'd like to improve the math and writing sections. Should I take it again or will it be a waste of my money?

4 and 3 on the writing

I had a 95 comp and a 69 in chem, which worried me for a while, but I was admitted to my top choice school as well as one of my backups, and turned down an interview for another one. Neither asked about the low score during my interview, so must not have cared overly much about it. I think you should be fine. 90+ puts you in a pretty darn good spot. :)

Finally the wait is over! I got my scores in yesterday. I literally ran to the mailbox after I saw the mail man drive by. I must have looked so ridiculous.

Anyway, first time taking the PCAT 85 composite - rocked the Chem & Verbal section, good in Bio & Reading comprehension, but my math and writing were "blah." For one thing I hate writing essays during tests and I'm calculator dependent. But I'll just have to work on that. It's weird because my scores for math and writing are not representative of my grades in those subjects.

I'm thinking about retaking the PCAT again even though the California schools don't require it. I'd like to improve the math and writing sections. Should I take it again or will it be a waste of my money?

Definitely don't bother to retake because of the writing. Schools don't care about that score! Plus, the range is supposedly 1-6 and at first I was disappointed with my 3s or whatever (usually I do well on writing exams, like AP English, etc) but it seems like almost everybody here got between 2.5-4.5. I haven't seen any 1s or 6s.

I have no idea what your math score is since you didn't say, so I can't help there.

Definitely don't bother to retake because of the writing. Schools don't care about that score! Plus, the range is supposedly 1-6 and at first I was disappointed with my 3s or whatever (usually I do well on writing exams, like AP English, etc) but it seems like almost everybody here got between 2.5-4.5. I haven't seen any 1s or 6s.

I have no idea what your math score is since you didn't say, so I can't help there.

Harcourt Assesment saids on it website that the score for the writing section ranges from 0 to 5.0

Got my PCAT scores back today as well!
-------------------------->October -------->January
Verbal Ability------>392/ 3
8:eek:--------->399/ 50
Biology--------------->434/ 90:D--------->411/ 69:eek:
Reading Comp.--->393/ 39:eek:--------->406/ 60
Quantitative-------->405/ 62 ------------->433/ 9:D
Chemistry---------->411/ 70:)---------->431/ 89:D
Composite--------->407/ 64 ------------->416/ 79:cool:

Soooo close to the 80 mark. I improved on everything except biology, which I decreased in, and it's actually making me reeeeaally nervous. Anyway, despite that, I'm actually exceptionally happy with January's scores seeing as I took it while I had the flu. I'm trying to get into Orlando's campus at the University of Florida but I don't know. Things could go either way. I guess I'll have to just hope and pray they at least invite me for an interview so I can sway them into selecting me to join them. I know GPA, and PCAT scores have a weight on things, but I'm praying my essays, LOR, and research/extracurriculars let the adcom know I'm a wonderful candidate and so very passionate about pharmacy.

Well congratulations to all who have gotten their acceptance letters and/or the PCAT scores they wanted! To everyone else, keep your head in the game, cause it's not over yet :)
I was wondering what books and methods did you use to improve your verbal and reading comrpehension score?
thanks

I was wondering if anyone in Canada, specifically Vancouver recieved their PCAT scores yet as many people in the states already seem to have recieved their scores.

I was wondering if anyone in Canada, specifically Vancouver recieved their PCAT scores yet as many people in the states already seem to have recieved their scores.

I'm in Vancouver and I've yet to receive mine.

Need it by friday!!!

I'm in Vancouver too, haven't received my scores yet...I would expect that we would get ours a little later than the Americans, hopefully by the end of the week or early next!!:)

if you are applying for ubc you don't need the scores by Friday, just the rest of your application

I'm not.

so I need it by friday.... HURRY POST OFFICE!!

All I can think of now is...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I was wondering what books and methods did you use to improve your verbal and reading comrpehension score?
thanks

I just went and got the Kaplan course book and studied that. Also, I work in a research lab so every so often my PI recommended that I go on pubmed and read an article from a journal and discuss the purpose etc. So that helped my reading comp. For verbal, over the winter break I read some higher level books and went and purchased the Top 200 words for the GRE. It helped a bit and I saw a couple of words on there, enough to get my score up. I also went on Freerice.com and researched any word that I didn't know. Hope that helps :) Good luck!