IVC filter and Pulmonary embolism- make it make sense!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMG_UK19

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Would really appreciate someone explaining this one to me. For patients that have an established pulmonary embolism that have a contraindication to anticoagulation how do IVC filters actually help?

My understanding is that the embolism is now sitting in the lungs and so has passed the IVC filter. Or am I just being a simpleton?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

Would really appreciate someone explaining this one to me. For patients that have an established pulmonary embolism that have a contraindication to anticoagulation how do IVC filters actually help?

My understanding is that the embolism is now sitting in the lungs and so has passed the IVC filter. Or am I just being a simpleton?

Thanks in advance!
Where did the pe come from?

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

It's to prevent future PEs

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

The PE comes from the deep veins right? Probably whatever caused the DVT that lead to the PE in the first place isn't going to change, especially not soon if they have a PE you can't anticoagulate