It's official: Physician Associate (not Assistant).

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I mean you make some valid points here. The problem is that none of them are addressing what I said. Your statement was that someone looking for a house in a safe neighborhood with good schools will have a hard time with a 130k income. That is patently false. Pointing that out isn’t the same as saying physicians should make 130k, and if you don’t want to live an average life, that’s fine—but that’s a very different statement than saying you can’t live in a good neighborhood with an above average income.
Except I know of professionals making 150k+ having a hard time finding a house for 400k in our city that isn’t supposed to be very expensive… they’re looking for a normal 3-4 bedroom house to accommodate a family of 3-4 kids. Shouldn’t be hard to do for a professional but this is our current era.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Except I know of professionals making 150k+ having a hard time finding a house for 400k in our city that isn’t supposed to be very expensive… they’re looking for a normal 3-4 bedroom house to accommodate a family of 3-4 kids. Shouldn’t be hard to do for a professional but this is our current era.

Part of that might be the current market. The current housing market is HORRIBLE. I have seen people paying 40-50k over asking with no inspections, etc. It's a really bad time to buy.

Reactions: 1 users
I mean you make some valid points here. The problem is that none of them are addressing what I said. Your statement was that someone looking for a house in a safe neighborhood with good schools will have a hard time with a 130k income. That is patently false. Pointing that out isn’t the same as saying physicians should make 130k, and if you don’t want to live an average life, that’s fine—but that’s a very different statement than saying you can’t live in a good neighborhood with an above average income.
Ten years ago, 130k would have been a good income. We (4 of us) were doing fine on a 110-120k/yr before I went to med school. I don't think we can afford a decent home in a neighborhood with good school district where I am now on 130k/yr income. You need to spend 450k+ for 3/2 30 mins away from the city where I am now (not even the good suburbs), and it's in the south. I would not buy a home for 450k on a 130k/yr income

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ten years ago, 130k would have been a good income. We (4 of us) were doing fine on a 110-120k/yr before I went to med school. I don't think we can afford a decent home in a neighborhood with good school district where I am now on 130k/yr income. You need to spend 450k+ for 3/2 30 mins away from the city where I am now (not even the good suburbs), and it's in the south. I would not buy a home for 450k on a 130k/yr income
exactly. People get hung up on a number. When I was in college, 100k was the magic reference. If you made six figures you had it made. A pharmacist made 100k in the early 2000’s and makes about the same now despite inflation and the change in the housing market etc. when I was finishing residency I was offered an academic trauma job that was gonna work me to death and pay me less than half what a surgeon working that hard should make. It was the same starting salary they paid their new surgeons ten years prior when med school cost a fraction, residents could defer loan payments without growing from interest, and a nice family house in the same city could be bought for 180-250…

I am fully aware what the average household income is. Most of us embarking on this path had some expectation of above average means in terms of disposable income and ability to help our kids get the head start that we never did. Sure, money is NOT the reason to become a physician, but there should be some financial incentive, and that should be compared to high earners, not to “average”.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I didn’t say 130k is good for a physician. Physicians should make >$200k to live a comfortable life because of the opportunity costs in time and money and student loans. But 130k is very good for a PA who only spent two years in a master’s program, which is what I was referencing.

Also, I’ve seen you arguing that houses cost way more than they should right now and that 130k won’t cut it, but we’re in an abnormal market. There’s a boom right now, and it’s a seller’s market. But this won’t last.
True. But the prices are likely to come down a bit but will stay high. Look at the 2008 crash. House values rebounded quickly afterwards and are now way higher.

sure once foreclosures hit there will be opportunity to pay asking price and get an inspection. There will also be opportunity to get a destroyed foreclosure and fix it up. Historically being well paid meant you can buy a nice house in ready to live condition without being stressed to your financial limit.

There are many places in the states that are not like that.

• Dislike
exactly. People get hung up on a number. When I was in college, 100k was the magic reference. If you made six figures you had it made. A pharmacist made 100k in the early 2000’s and makes about the same now despite inflation and the change in the housing market etc. when I was finishing residency I was offered an academic trauma job that was gonna work me to death and pay me less than half what a surgeon working that hard should make. It was the same starting salary they paid their new surgeons ten years prior when med school cost a fraction, residents could defer loan payments without growing from interest, and a nice family house in the same city could be bought for 180-250…

I am fully aware what the average household income is. Most of us embarking on this path had some expectation of above average means in terms of disposable income and ability to help our kids get the head start that we never did. Sure, money is NOT the reason to become a physician, but there should be some financial incentive, and that should be compared to high earners, not to “average”.

Okay, but these are all different arguments.

I agree that people who make the sacrifice to go to med school expect to be on the top of the upper middle class. I was already in the middle class with a household income of 110-120k/yr working only 2 days/wk while my spouse was working 3 days. No matter how I like medicine, there was no way in hell I would have gone to med school if I knew the financial reward was not going to be substantial.

Household income of 130k/yr won't get you far in most of the top 30 metro in the US where half the population actually live (aka. where there is some good schools and things to do etc...). You will definitely be ok in most of these metro, but disposable income won't be a thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
There are many places in the states that are not like that.
I don't think ACsurgeon was saying that one can't live on a 130k/yr household income. It's not like it was 10+ yrs ago. I spend significant time in 2 states in the US and I have noticed in the two states that same house from the same builder in different school district can be 100-200k apart in price even if they are ONLY 1-2 minutes drive from each other; meaning if you want your kids to go to the better schools, your mortgage will be substantially more. I am pretty sure it might be everywhere since these business people are not stupid

I don't think ACsurgeon was saying that one can't live on a 130k/yr household income. It's not like it was 10+ yrs ago. I spend significant time in 2 states in the US and I have noticed in the two states that same house from the same builder in different school district can be 100-200k apart in price even if they are ONLY 1-2 minutes drive from each other; meaning if you want your kids to go to the better schools, your mortgage will be substantially more. I am pretty sure it might be everywhere since these business people are to stupid

I mean I can only go by what he said. *shrug*

I’ve lived in many states. The housing market fluctuates. It sucks now. But it’s just ludicrous to state that you can’t live in a nice area with good schools on that kind of income. Literally millions of people do.

That in no way is an argument that physicians should only make that much money or that you can’t want to make more given your training.

When will people understand that there is an absolute and a relative measurement here? Do we have to have in all caps the disclaimer that yes even $100k per year is more than 99.5% of the world but we are talking about salary in relation to workload, working conditions, legal burden, emotional burden, training length blah blah blah blah???

As someone who has/had good jobs and side gigs, I would absolutely not do medicine for 200k even though I really, really love medicine. It just doesn't make sense. The opportunity cost is stupid at that point for me and many others, especially for a job that will only get salary slashed and workload increased and exponentially more time dealing with midlevel screwups as we move forward. We are one of the only jobs in the world that will essentially only see paycuts or stagnant wages over a whole career. It's pretty incredible that no one thinks about that.

Even if I only lived on 50k a year with a family I would say forget that on principle alone.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
I mean I can only go by what he said. *shrug*

I’ve lived in many states. The housing market fluctuates. It sucks now. But it’s just ludicrous to state that you can’t live in a nice area with good schools on that kind of income. Literally millions of people do.

That in no way is an argument that physicians should only make that much money or that you can’t want to make more given your training.

Cant you give me a few examples?

Not how the housing market is right now. For instance, I purchased a home in south FL in 2011 for 150k in an ok school district. I can sell that place right now for 450k in 2 days if I want to. That is insane!

After maxing out 401k for 2, medical insurance, you will only bring home 6-6.5k/month. That is not a lot of money these days to raise a family of 4.

Last edited:
When will people understand that there is an absolute and a relative measurement here? Do we have to have in all caps the disclaimer that yes even $100k per year is more than 99.5% of the world but we are talking about salary in relation to workload, working conditions, legal burden, emotional burden, training length blah blah blah blah???

Do I have to in all caps say that those are completely different points than the one made? He said that you would be very, very hard pressed to find a decent neighborhood with good schools on 130k. That has nothing to do with any of that stuff and is just false.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do I have to in all caps say that those are completely different points than the one made? He said that you would be very, very hard pressed to find a decent neighborhood with good schools on 130k. That has nothing to do with any of that stuff and is just false.
I said you will, but disposable income won't be a thing in most of these place.

Cant you give me a few examples?

Not how the housing market is right now. For instance, I purchased a home in south FL in 2011 for 150k in an ok school district. I can sell that place right now for 450k in 2 days if I want to. That is insane!
Yeah, that was my point about how garbage it is for buyers right now.
After making out 401k for 2, medical insurance, you will only bring home 6-6.5k/month. That is not a lot of money these days to raise a family of 4.
How is that any different than the rest of people living on that salary?

Yeah, that was my point about how garbage it is for buyers right now.

How is that any different than the rest of people living on that salary?
There are people living on that salary who purchase their home 5+ yrs ago. I just gave an example of a house I purchased 10 yrs ago for 150k, of course, with 130k, we would do very well. But someone purchasing that same house right now for 450k will do ok on a income of 130k but that family won't have disposable income to take 2 vacations, pay for their kids college etc...

Last edited:
Tell that to the people I know making that much who have boats, planes, etc. Unless your only definition of a nice place to live is like NY, which would be hilariously ironic.
I spend most of my time in the south. Do you have kids? They can be expensive if you want to raise them properly.

I wasn't addressing you, homie.

Edit: inevitably, in every single one of these threads there is some bleeding heart saying that the only thing that matters is that we should be thankful that we weren't born in war-torn Africa.

• Love
I wasn't addressing you, homie.

Edit: inevitably, in every single one of these threads there is some bleeding heart saying that the only thing that matters is that we should be thankful that we weren't born in war-torn Africa.

I mean, I’m currently the only one on the other side of the argument, homeslice. But yes, I agree with that whole thing. There’s no reason a physician shouldn’t expect a salary commensurate with their training.

I mean, I’m currently the only one on the other side of the argument, homeslice. But yes, I agree with that whole thing. There’s no reason a physician shouldn’t expect a salary commensurate with their training.
I believe in this very thread it has been brought up as well as probably every other financial thread on the first page of this subforum.

I spend most of my time in the south. Do you have kids? They can be expensive if you want to raise them properly.

I have 2. If you ask them, how properly I’m raising them depends on whether I am giving them whatever thing they are obsessed with at the moment lol.

• Haha
Not to beat a dead horse but this is a true gem.

<rant>

I'm standing in the ED with my student badge waiting to talk to the doc. The PA looks at me. We know each other. They ask - "So, why are you here? You guys have summer off or something?" I say - "Yeah... we go back in a month..." The PA says (with a slight smurky tone of voice) - "When I was in school we did not have any summers off." (emphasis on "I" and the fact that it has been a while since they were in school). I say - "Different program..." (referring to the fact that the PA program is different than MD). The response floored me: "Nooo.... It's College of Medicine..."

I just repeated - "Different program..."

:oops:

But then this is the same person who was telling the nurses a story of their patient, that began with "I am walking in to the room and say 'Hi, my name is ------, I am your ER doc today..." I did not listen to the rest of the story because I tried to discern if they either misportrayed themselves to the patient (BAD!) or misspoke telling the story (but why?).

</rant>
I'm really curious where you guys are seeing these dysfunctional midlevels. They exist sure but maybe i'm just lucky i came across self aware NPs and PAs who know their limitations and don't go around falsely calling themselves as physicians

I have 2. If you ask them, how properly I’m raising them depends on whether I am giving them whatever thing they are obsessed with at the moment lol.
Lol... Don't get me wrong. A household income of 130k/yr put one in the 75th percentile in 2019 (might 70th percentile now). My household was doing well on something close to 130k (110-120k) 7 yrs ago. However, I don't think a family with my then income would do well if they live in the same home/neighborhood that I lived 7 yrs ago.

I'm really curious where you guys are seeing these dysfunctional midlevels. They exist sure but maybe i'm just lucky i came across self aware NPs and PAs who know their limitations and don't go around falsely calling themselves as physicians
Read the whole thing. Very interesting!

Talk about out of touch. You realize that 130k is more than double the median household income, right? Most people living in safe neighborhoods with good public schools are not making 130k.

But to your point, I currently live in a very safe neighborhood with good schools. My wife and I combined make about 140k, and between the two of us, we have a decent student loan burden we are paying off. We live in a 3 bedroom home with 2 kids in an expensive part of the country. Most of the people who live here are not making physician salaries.

The idea that you have to slum it if you’re making less than 200k a year is so absurd and out of touch with reality, I don’t even know what else to say about it.
SDN has a very poor and rather elitist understanding of finances. It's frankly ridiculous

Read the whole thing. Very interesting!
Ok i got lucky :(

Most of them are normal people who wanted a good job. The problem is that many of those same good normal people are easily swayed into situations that aren't good for patients or their own careers by hospital admin. Then suddenly 10 years later they are the problem. Seen it many times over the years. I respect most of them as they are normal people like you and I.

Most of them are normal people who wanted a good job. The problem is that many of those same good normal people are easily swayed into situations that aren't good for patients or their own careers by hospital admin. Then suddenly 10 years later they are the problem. Seen it many times over the years. I respect most of them as they are normal people like you and I.
I would say many instead of most. Most of them think after a few years of experience, they are physician-like.

Lol... Don't get me wrong. A household income of 130k/yr put one in the 75th percentile in 2019 (might 70th percentile now). My household was doing well on something close to 130k (110-120k) 7 yrs ago. However, I don't think a family with my then income would do well if they live in the same home/neighborhood that I lived 7 yrs ago.

Maybe not. Depends on the neighborhood probably. I know places in Cali I couldn’t afford now that I probably could 10 years ago. But I live in a very desirable area and am doing just fine. Have been here for 4 years.

Part of that might be the current market. The current housing market is HORRIBLE. I have seen people paying 40-50k over asking with no inspections, etc. It's a really bad time to buy.
I have a friend outside of medicine that spent $110K over asking price. Waived the inspection, paid for closing costs, and realtor fees. Mind you this isn't in an area of the country where it's really expensive to live. Average COL is below national average.

• Wow
I have a friend outside of medicine that spent $110K over asking price. Waived the inspection, paid for closing costs, and realtor fees. Mind you this isn't in an area of the country where it's really expensive to live. Average COL is below national average.

Yeah it’s gross. I don’t understand why people are buying right now.

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah it’s gross. I don’t understand why people are buying right now.
My wife and I bought a house last year during the lockdown. We got our house after getting the original price knocked down by $20K. A year later, this house rose by $10K in value. I'm so glad we bought when we did.

I think (hope) that what we are experiencing now is not analogous to 2008. My perception is that the current boom is being driven by an entirely different force than in 2008, namely low interest rates. I suspect we’ll see this boom fizzle out rather than crash, and I think that bodes well for the possibility of a return to market normalcy.

As an aside, I think the root of the problem of not being able to afford a good home with a 90+ percentile salary is the extremely and increasingly unbalanced wealth distribution in America. Back in the day, a 90th percentile salary meant you were doing very, very well. But with an ever increasing amount of wealth being concentrated in the 0.1%, you have to earn salaries in increasingly higher percentiles to be considered “well off”.
I think this is much different than 2008. 2008 was essentially a mirage of fortune-- people were living on credit and didn't actually have any real wealth yet were affording the ability to "live the life." Of course that ended in a collapse. Now we're seeing America retract and become isolationist while the rest of the world struggles to improve their standard of living in a world economy which relies on America not being isolationist.
I think this is more of a broad market over supply meeting a depressed global demand while the increasing population of older adults forces younger generations to sacrifice their youth so that the older generation can live out their promised golden years. This is felt by nearly everyone and as such is leading people to pursue insane paths in order to avoid being poor e.g. going to a four year university in order to get your foot in the door.

In medicine we have a demand (clinicians) and an under supply (med school gate keeper) therefore to avoid societal strife we have NPs and PAs who are rebranding in order to insure their continued existence. Of course I'm armchair philosophizing but it works for me.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
DNP will claim they are doctors too. Lol

1626965162737.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
On a related note...

few nights ago this lady "crawls" in the ED entrance, baby almost out etc. Home birth gone wrong. The doula apparently saw the $%@#tshow brewing and fled. We get the lady to L&D and the nurse did a best jab comment I have ever heard - "You smell so nice!" - she says to the lady - "Almost like essential oils..."

So yeah... "racist, elitist, classist..."

Also, check out the tags at the bottom of the article. SMH.

Also (2), I was not surprised to find out that the author has nothing to do with healthcare whatsoever... (Clare Daniel)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
On a related note...

few nights ago this lady "crawls" in the ED entrance, baby almost out etc. Home birth gone wrong. The doula apparently saw the $%@#tshow brewing and fled. We get the lady to L&D and the nurse did a best jab comment I have ever heard - "You smell so nice!" - she says to the lady - "Almost like essential oils..."

So yeah... "racist, elitist, classist..."

Also, check out the tags at the bottom of the article. SMH.

Also (2), I was not surprised to find out that the author has nothing to do with healthcare whatsoever... (Clare Daniel)

My friend (an MS3, keep in mind) just finished her obgyn rotation. She had to staff a patient with an NP. The patient said she was worried about her baby because her dad died from a “heart thing” in his 30s. The NP told her there’s nothing to worry about and sent her away. Then when the patient had left, the NP said to my friend, “that patient is going to be a pain in the ass. She’s already making up ****.”

My friend was like, “well there are a few congenital cardiac things that can cause early death like that.”

The NP said like what. My friend said things like HOCM and long QT. The NP said she never heard of those things and left the room.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
My friend (an MS3, keep in mind) just finished her obgyn rotation. She had to staff a patient with an NP. The patient said she was worried about her baby because her dad died from a “heart thing” in his 30s. The NP told her there’s nothing to worry about and sent her away. Then when the patient had left, the NP said to my friend, “that patient is going to be a pain in the ass. She’s already making up ****.”

My friend was like, “well there are a few congenital cardiac things that can cause early death like that.”

The NP said like what. My friend said things like HOCM and long QT. The NP said she never heard of those things and left the room.
Typical. If any of you think a regular NP is bad just wait until you meet the NPs who were L&D nurses who got their NP and now work in outpatient OBGYN... I've never met people with so little knowledge in my life. They lost 99% of nursing knowledge becoming bad L&D nurses and then got actual responsibility taking care of things they didn't even see on L&D now. Jaw dropping stuff.

I tell this story all the time but we are talking about people who don't know how to treat G and C and ask med students. Don't know what carpal tunnel is. Don't know basic nursing things because they never were really a nurse so now they can't even call on their past experiences. Truly incredible.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
Typical. If any of you think a regular NP is bad just wait until you meet the NPs who were L&D nurses who got their NP and now work in outpatient OBGYN... I've never met people with so little knowledge in my life. They lost 99% of nursing knowledge becoming bad L&D nurses and then got actual responsibility taking care of things they didn't even see on L&D now. Jaw dropping stuff.

I tell this story all the time but we are talking about people who don't know how to treat G and C and ask med students. Don't know what carpal tunnel is. Don't know basic nursing things because they never were really a nurse so now they can't even call on their past experiences. Truly incredible.

I was with a PA on ENT who didn’t even really know how to do a patient interview. She asked a few basic questions and then asked me if I had any for the patient, and then I had to do the rest of the interview lol.

I was with a PA on ENT who didn’t even really know how to do a patient interview. She asked a few basic questions and then asked me if I had any for the patient, and then I had to do the rest of the interview lol.
That's bizarre. In my experience, PAs tend to learn that stuff during school. Their problem is attitude and knowledge base not things that an M1 knows mechanically speaking. The PAs I know, and their curriculum, had them doing many, many standardized patients to learn the H&P.

That's bizarre. In my experience, PAs tend to learn that stuff during school. Their problem is attitude and knowledge base not things that an M1 knows mechanically speaking. The PAs I know, and their curriculum, had them doing many, many standardized patients to learn the H&P.

Yeah I dunno what school she went to. I’ve worked with some PAs/PA students who were good for their level and some who weren’t. But they all 100% had an obvious knowledge gap.

Yeah I dunno what school she went to. I’ve worked with some PAs/PA students who were good for their level and some who weren’t. But they all 100% had an obvious knowledge gap.
Who knew that "doing med school in half the time" would lead to half the quality 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users