Physician employability?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

How exactly do physicians compete with each other for jobs? And how much does networking matter in landing a desire-able job?

Members don't see this ad.

We compete in the same way competition works in most labor markets except that, in general, the job market is more favorable for physicians than it is for less skilled jobs. We compete based primarily on what we are willing to do for what price. In areas where there is higher physician saturation, employers are able to find applicants willing to take lower salaries or accept more demanding positions. In areas where there are fewer physicians, the pay is better and the conditions of employment are more favorable.

I suppose that these dynamics tend to work a bit differently in medicine and contribute to the at times starkly higher pay in rural areas than urban areas. I think that, in many other industries, the concentration of workers is higher in urban areas but the concentration of well-paying jobs is disproportionately higher. I think there are many well-paying industries where almost all of the best paying jobs are in major cities. Urban centers tend to have a lot of hospital centers, but there is demand for medicine throughout the U.S. It is not like investment banking where the opportunities for a lucrative career in rural Montana are presumably negligible.

In terms of your second question, that entirely depends on what type of position you find desirable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to face competition if you're in a saturated market. It works just like any other job works. In markets with lots of other providers like you, it's going to be more competitive. In markets where there aren't many people like you, it will be much less competitive. Physicians are privileged in the sense that the profession overall is rare and therefore competition is not as tough as it might be for other jobs (e.g., PhDs).

In terms of networking, same answer as above - works just like any other labor market. Networking always helps and people get jobs through networking. That's not to say that pure merit alone can't get you a job - but if there's a particular job you want, it's always beneficial to know someone who knows someone.

Reactions: 1 user
i know in some fields like pathology, oftentimes applicants have to move cities (or at least used to—heard market is picking back up) to find jobs. Don’t think it’s common in most specialties

1. Aim higher than just being an employee.
2. Just like anything else.

Networking is massively important, especially for the desirable locations/practices

One of the main places for competition is if you're hanging a shingle in a somewhat saturated market.

If planning on that, I think it's generally a good idea to do some research ahead of time and talk to the people in the area first so you don't set up shop and take all their patients. Not sure that applies in crazy places like NYC and LA. It's not like you're going to go around and talk to all the clinicians in the area first, but those places are also more difficult markets in which to set up a private shop.

Depends on whether you’re talking about a job or about building a practice. Sometimes there’s overlap and sometimes those are two entirely different things.

Overall, it’s mostly about your training and skill set and the needs of the job. People will call your mentors and any other contacts to make sure you can do the job well, especially if they have multiple applicants. Like anything else, it’s connections as well as how well you fit the needs of the position.

In some jobs they’re just desperate and then all you need is a pulse and relatively clean history. If they can be picky, then it’s mostly a combo of fit and skills.

For example, if I’m an ent and the job needs someone who does some bigger head and neck cancer stuff, that’s not really what I do. If could probably get that job and grow into it in a less competitive area, but a place with options will opt for someone who can better hit the ground running.

Reactions: 1 users