Is this a bad answer to the question, "why podiatry?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.phoot

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
In attempt to answer, "why podiatry?", I gave a couple of reasons. But there's a particular reason that I'm feeling 50/50 about, even considering dropping it entirely.

I basically mention that I'm interested in an emerging field of medicine & healthcare, and I would like to draw on clinical experience as a podiatrist to aid me in establishing myself in that field. My masters degree (currently in progress) is in that particular field so I figure it adds strength behind my p/s if I mention it, and it's also a talking point in the interview.

Now, this is absolutely true and it's not saying it just to say it. I really do have a genuine interest in healthcare informatics and the broader healthcare / clinical IT umbrella.

I Just want some objective feedback. Would you look at my app and say, "if you like informatics, just go do it and save this seat for someone who will give 100% into pod?"

Basically, will it look like im not fully committed if I mention I'm interested in combining podiatry with another field down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

In attempt to answer, "why podiatry?", I gave a couple of reasons. But there's a particular reason that I'm feeling 50/50 about, even considering dropping it entirely.

I basically mention that I'm interested in an emerging field of medicine & healthcare, and I would like to draw on clinical experience as a podiatrist to aid me in establishing myself in that field. My masters degree (currently in progress) is in that particular field so I figure it adds strength behind my p/s if I mention it, and it's also a talking point in the interview.

Now, this is absolutely true and it's not saying it just to say it. I really do have a genuine interest in healthcare informatics and the broader healthcare / clinical IT umbrella.

I Just want some objective feedback. Would you look at my app and say, "if you like informatics, just go do it and save this seat for someone who will give 100% into pod?"

Basically, will it look like im not fully committed if I mention I'm interested in combining podiatry with another field down the road?

If you're coming right out of a masters in healthcare informatics program that already conveys you have an interest in the field and you will likely get asked why you're looking to spend more money/time getting a DPM. I would not say, "I would like to draw on clinical experience as a podiatrist to aid me in establishing myself in that field" because that sounds like you have no interest in actually practicing podiatry long-term. I understand what you're getting at, but my suggestion would be to save yourself the headache and concentrate on conveying why after obtaining a master's degree in an in-demand and high paying field you decided to commit another 7 years of your life to becoming a pod.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't really get it, but I do not see it adding any strength to you PS or interview talk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I don’t really understand it either or your want to do podiatry.. you should want to do podiatry because you want it as a career not to aid you in another interest. It should be your focus as being a doctor you have to be dedicated to medicine. It isn’t meant to be used to develope another skill or career choice. If you aren’t convinced 100 percent or want to make it your main focus I’m not sure if this is the right path for you. Just my opinion but maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way.

Reactions: 1 users

for some reason I thought you applied to podiatry last cycle.

If you're coming right out of a masters in healthcare informatics program that already conveys you have an interest in the field and you will likely get asked why you're looking to spend more money/time getting a DPM. I would not say, "I would like to draw on clinical experience as a podiatrist to aid me in establishing myself in that field" because that sounds like you have no interest in actually practicing podiatry long-term. I understand what you're getting at, but my suggestion would be to save yourself the headache and concentrate on conveying why after obtaining a master's degree in an in-demand and high paying field you decided to commit another 7 years of your life to becoming a pod.

Those aren't the exact words I'm using the in the p/s.

I am really trying to say:

Ideally informatics executives are liasons between IT/Tech and clinicians. Having worked as a podiatrist on the clinic side, see where the advantage can come from? Ideally time split between seeing patients and working in informatics is something that appeals to me. There are docs in many fields who split time seeing patients with research, teaching, administrative duties, etc. Or?

I don't really get it, but I do not see it adding any strength to you PS or interview talk.
See above response. By add strength I'm saying, I'll not just be bluff if I write I'm interested in combining the informatics and podiatry. I'll actually have a degree in the field so it lends some credit to what I'm saying. In other words, imagine I would have said in the long term, I want to do research to help advance this field. Say I was coming from a background where I did a ton of research and published and had a masters
In a research intensive field, it would put strength behind me saying I want to do research to advance the field. See My angle now?

Yea I don’t really understand it either or your want to do podiatry.. you should want to do podiatry because you want it as a career not to aid you in another interest. It should be your focus as being a doctor you have to be dedicated to medicine. It isn’t meant to be used to develope another skill or career choice. If you aren’t convinced 100 percent or want to make it your main focus I’m not sure if this is the right path for you. Just my opinion but maybe I’m looking at this the wrong way.
Yeah.... you are. MD/DO even have approved fellowships for Informatics. Opened only, of course, to MD/DO. Here's
A link to Yale:

Informatics > Emergency Medicine | Yale School of Medicine

If podiatry had something like this, I wouldn't even bother opening this thread

for some reason I thought you applied to podiatry last cycle.

Started, but pulled out

I think your long terms goals are unique and interesting, but for the purposes of answering "why podiatry" you need to explain why you want to be a practicing podiatrist first and foremost. I don't disagree that having a clinical background would be helpful (although not even close to necessary) if you're interested in informatics, but speaking from experience, you could spend a few years in a healthcare consulting firm or the business side of a hospital and pick up the relevant knowledge to understand where there is room for improvement regarding EMR/EHR and other healthcare technology. A lot of podiatry training is dedicated to developing the knowledge and motor skills to perform a variety of surgical procedures, which is going to have minimal relevance to any type of desk job.

I'd also arguing that if your ultimate goal is being an informatics executive an MD/DO would be infinitely more valuable if you truly believe you need a clinical degree to accomplish that goal. As soon as you start talking about any sort of crossover career between healthcare and business/technology the number of people that will even know what a DPM is will be very small.

Those aren't the exact words I'm using the in the p/s.

I am really trying to say:

Ideally informatics executives are liasons between IT/Tech and clinicians. Having worked as a podiatrist on the clinic side, see where the advantage can come from? Ideally time split between seeing patients and working in informatics is something that appeals to me. There are docs in many fields who split time seeing patients with research, teaching, administrative duties, etc. Or?

See above response. By add strength I'm saying, I'll not just be bluff if I write I'm interested in combining the informatics and podiatry. I'll actually have a degree in the field so it lends some credit to what I'm saying. In other words, imagine I would have said in the long term, I want to do research to help advance this field. Say I was coming from a background where I did a ton of research and published and had a masters
In a research intensive field, it would put strength behind me saying I want to do research to advance the field. See My angle now?

Yeah.... you are. MD/DO even have approved fellowships for Informatics. Opened only, of course, to MD/DO. Here's
A link to Yale:

Informatics > Emergency Medicine | Yale School of Medicine

If podiatry had something like this, I wouldn't even bother opening this thread

Started, but pulled out
I see what you’re getting at but I think someone who’s an attending/a resident could probably give you an accurate rundown (like dimundo). I question the relevancy just because podiatry is so small compared to MD/DO (IM or something else) that I’m just not sure how useful or plausible it could be.

Back to the question.. I wouldn’t say it’s a bad answer as it shows your intentions and knowledge/interest but it’s unorthodox to say the least. It’ll definitely depend on your interviewer to make that choice.

I think your long terms goals are unique and interesting, but for the purposes of answering "why podiatry" you need to explain why you want to be a practicing podiatrist first and foremost. I don't disagree that having a clinical background would be helpful (although not even close to necessary) if you're interested in informatics, but speaking from experience, you could spend a few years in a healthcare consulting firm or the business side of a hospital and pick up the relevant knowledge to understand where there is room for improvement regarding EMR/EHR and other healthcare technology. A lot of podiatry training is dedicated to developing the knowledge and motor skills to perform a variety of surgical procedures, which is going to have minimal relevance to any type of desk job.

I'd also arguing that if your ultimate goal is being an informatics executive an MD/DO would be infinitely more valuable if you truly believe you need a clinical degree to accomplish that goal. As soon as you start talking about any sort of crossover career between healthcare and business/technology the number of people that will even know what a DPM is will be very small.
exactly this.

If you want to have a career in healthcare informatics, you don't really need clinical career or experience. Healthcare informatics has been out there for many decades and is functional well without clinicians. There are other ways for a person interested in healthcare informatics to know more about clinical side by doing special internships or programs in that area. Don't see a reason to spend 200K and 7 years.

If you want to go to podiatry and practice in podiatry and later get involved in informatics, then that is fine. But I don't think it can be a major selling point for podiatry admissions.

There is nothing wrong with having a B.S. or MA in Healthcare Informatics. The issue is how you present it for admissions.

I have B.S. in Healthcare Administration. I mentioned it in PS. I stated that after 2.5 years of Bio/Psych major, I decided to learn about healthcare in the US. It got me very interested and I found it more practical. Also I was asked during an interview and I said that I plan to use my administrative/management education in the future to hold a leadership role in healthcare. That's it. no more.

The rest 95% of PS and interview I spoke about my passion for medicine/podiatry and desire to work with diabetic population, wound restoration and some surgery based on my experiences.

My selling point was my path and passion for medicine and patients in general and that my top interest is to serve patients. Administration things was a future long -term plan for me.

Is this a bad answer to the question, "why podiatry?"
To answer the question shortly, yes, I think it' not a good reason to answer why podiatry. That' is not to say that people who go for MD never end up in business, in administration, in politics or other areas. After certain years people find other niches to apply their MD knowledge and education.
But for admissions purposes, I think the main talking point should be related to podiatry itself.

I am not in admissions of course and I don't know what goes in their mind. But since you are asking for an opinion, it is just my opinion and no more than that.

Reactions: 3 users
It doesn't matter. As long as you say you like podiatry and have a pulse and acceptable stats.....you are good. Oh yeah also need to be able to pay tuition. You are good fam.

Reactions: 3 users
If you wanna do this then tell the admissions people what they want to hear regarding why Podiatry, irrespective of your own reasons to get in.

Such as, I met one either in a clinic or hospital while they were taking care of one of your fam members. You got really interested in the field and upon research, found local DPMs to shadow. Then you shadowed for x number of hours and want to be a DPM to help alleviate instant pain of suffering for a variety of issues and also work to treat and prevent complications of diabetes and so on.

I mean I can go on an on and on. Imo, any masters degree with the DPM is a great way to put yourself apart from the rest when it comes down to residency time.

Last edited:
“Because my MCAT was below a 495/ I had a 3.0-3.3ish GPA/ what else was I going to do with a useless biology degree” seems like a good response.

Things you should say if you feel especially risky:

“The Pharmacy and Optometry market is too saturated”

“I come from a family of docs, my stats were too low so I picked the next best thing”

“I had trouble looking myself in the mirror and saying ‘graduate student’ “

“My student loans were already massive, so why not delay them for anouther 7 years”

“What would my parents say at weddings to people they really don’t like? That I’m working in a lab at 45k/year? No way”

“I’ll be a doctor and chicks dig docs. When I say I’m a surgeon I’m not technically lying”

“Physical Therapists don’t make enough to support the six figure lifestyle I want”

Reactions: 2 users
During my interviews, all of my interviewers just want to know if you truly want to get into podiatry because when you get in, that's it. Just podiatry. Be prepared of what you're getting in to. There is nothing wrong with your response but don't try to give a complex response unless you actually want to say that in your interview.

For me, I literally just responded: I want to specialize in a certain body part and feet seems like the area that I am certainly interested in. I just gave them my story of how I found this field and it just caught my interest. I also mentioned that how "it was the hidden gem of healthcare" and that it should be more exposed to more pre-medical students. For some reason, they LOVE this.

I mean, idk about you, but if someone told me I was a little gem, I would love that.

During my interviews, all of my interviewers just want to know if you truly want to get into podiatry because when you get in, that's it. Just podiatry. Be prepared of what you're getting in to. There is nothing wrong with your response but don't try to give a complex response unless you actually want to say that in your interview.

For me, I literally just responded: I want to specialize in a certain body part and feet seems like the area that I am certainly interested in. I just gave them my story of how I found this field and it just caught my interest. I also mentioned that how "it was the hidden gem of healthcare" and that it should be more exposed to more pre-medical students. For some reason, they LOVE this.

It doesn't matter. As long as you say you like podiatry and have a pulse and acceptable stats.....you are good. Oh yeah also need to be able to pay tuition. You are good fam.

Cool.

If you wanna do this then tell the admissions people what they want to hear regarding why Podiatry, irrespective of your own reasons to get in.

Such as, I met one either in a clinic or hospital while they were taking care of one of your fam members. You got really interested in the field and upon research, found local DPMs to shadow. Then you shadowed for x number of hours and want to be a DPM to help alleviate instant pain of suffering for a variety of issues and also work to treat and prevent complications of diabetes and so on.

I mean I can go on an on and on. Imo, any masters degree with the DPM is a great way to put yourself apart from the rest when it comes down to residency time.
No bluff: I had a problem with my foot for years. It was a podiatrist that finally did my surgery and took care of the problem. That story's my big ticket item. This informatics stuff is like extra stuff, so I wasn't sure if it would come back to bite me. I'm being a devil's advocate to myself and wondering the different questions they might ask. Like why didn't you focus on the informatics and not try to be a jack of all trades? We want someone who will commit 100% to podiatry.

Yes, I genuinely do. And I'll keep that in mind too. Thank you!

“Because my MCAT was below a 495/ I had a 3.0-3.3ish GPA/ what else was I going to do with a useless biology degree” seems like a good response.

Things you should say if you feel especially risky:

“The Pharmacy and Optometry market is too saturated”

“I come from a family of docs, my stats were too low so I picked the next best thing”

“I had trouble looking myself in the mirror and saying ‘graduate student’ “

“My student loans were already massive, so why not delay them for anouther 7 years”

“What would my parents say at weddings to people they really don’t like? That I’m working in a lab at 45k/year? No way”

“I’ll be a doctor and chicks dig docs. When I say I’m a surgeon I’m not technically lying”

“Physical Therapists don’t make enough to support the six figure lifestyle I want”

I mean, idk about you, but if someone told me I was a little gem, I would love that.

Always lol at your posts, Bro. If we end up at the same school, you my wingman! No excuses! :laugh:

When I left pod school I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to get into the tech side of medicine. I even shared my idea with the dean. To be honest its going to be very hard if not impossible. The reason I say this is : 1. Podiatry is a limited field with several of the clinical issues already solved with treatments 2. There isnt a whole lot of investment capital being dedicated to pod. Pod revenue isnt the highest, itll be difficult to convince venture capital companies to fund projects.

When I did the internet search and just spoke to people about being someone with a clinical background working in medicine based technology- it was mainly MD's from good schools. And they arent really using the MD knowledge as much as just the Title HARVARD , etc to make themselves rise.
There are a few exceptions here and there to every rule and there are pods out there who make new devices, patent things but those folks are usually just intelligent podiatrists who came up with an idea and made it happen rather than going in that direction for a career.

Now heres the catch if you can go through the whole thing and do end up successful then you could make $$$$$$$. But you could also do the same with your tech degree.

You raise a very good point about doctors and the prestige factor that plays into research and development. You very rarely see DO or Pods pumping out life changing medical technologies, it’s always MDs at the Ivy Institutions.

This isn’t to say that being a DO or Pod is a bad thing, as someone has to do the clinical procedures already discovered.

When I left pod school I was in the same boat as you. I wanted to get into the tech side of medicine. I even shared my idea with the dean. To be honest its going to be very hard if not impossible. The reason I say this is : 1. Podiatry is a limited field with several of the clinical issues already solved with treatments 2. There isnt a whole lot of investment capital being dedicated to pod. Pod revenue isnt the highest, itll be difficult to convince venture capital companies to fund projects.

When I did the internet search and just spoke to people about being someone with a clinical background working in medicine based technology- it was mainly MD's from good schools. And they arent really using the MD knowledge as much as just the Title HARVARD , etc to make themselves rise.
There are a few exceptions here and there to every rule and there are pods out there who make new devices, patent things but those folks are usually just intelligent podiatrists who came up with an idea and made it happen rather than going in that direction for a career.

Now heres the catch if you can go through the whole thing and do end up successful then you could make $$$$$$$. But you could also do the same with your tech degree.