is retail THAT bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me tell you that happiness really isn't determined by income...tho I don't think being poor brings happiness. But not having to worry about money is a great feeling.

Tons of money and hot husband would be the only things I need to be happy. I don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with those two things. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

One million dollar isn't enough for you to retire. If you buy a house there goes 1/3 to 1/2 of it already. Take out more for your car. If you have kids then there goes all of it in a few years. And we haven't even talked about the monthly bills yet.

If you are like 70 years old then one million would be enough, but if you are 22 years old and just graduated college with nothing else then no way can you survive on one million dollars for you entire life.

You would spend 500,000 dollars on a house?! I think I see the problem. Do the math. If you invest one million dollars and get a 5% annual return you are looking at 50,000 per year. That is something like twice the national average I believe. If you can't live on that...well I am happy you live such an amazing lifestyle. Now if your investments tanked, that's another story.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't call me a fool, I was just pointing out something.

All I was saying is that for the average person it is good to take a finance class to you are AWARE of different ways to save and invest your money to secure a good future.

Sam Walton and Bill Gates are the exception, and you cannot use them to learn how to make your own millions. If you really wanna look up to someone, look up to Warren Buffet. That man is a financial genius.

I can call you whatever I want.....if you don't like it report me.

Walton and Gates are just examples. I spent a lot of time with local real estate millionaires... retailers.....wholesalers... and run of the mill self made millionaires and I learned a lot from them. It's helped me set up my own small business with over 25 employees.

Investing is one of the ways to accumulate wealth. But it's not be all and end all... some of the negatives of investment for wealth is that it usually requires money to begin with and it takes time to gain large returns.

Own business is the faster way to go in my opinion.

Save for 30 years to become a millionaire? I wouldn't call doing something for 30 years "easy."

I only cited the most non-involved and fool-proof method of doing things. 30 years is long but that method is not hard just boring. Invest in income generating assets, such as being a landlord, is riskier but can get you there much faster. Or if you got a good pulse on the stock market, you can make a windfall in days or months. I jumped in on BAC when everyone was running away and it was down to $5/share, tripled my money in a few months.

Watch BP. It's getting hammered right now and still with too much uncertainty. But when it gets down to say.. $15 a share, baring any new major bad thing happening, it'll make a decent long term buy and hold.

Walton and Gates are just examples. I spent a lot of time with local real estate millionaires... retailers.....wholesalers... and run of the mill self made millionaires and I learned a lot from them. It's helped me set up my own small business with over 25 employees.

Investing is one of the ways to accumulate wealth. But it's not be all and end all... some of the negatives of investment for wealth is that it usually requires money to begin with and it takes time to gain large returns.

Last I checked, it is not acceptable to attack other members.

Again, I am not arguing with you, I was agreeing with you, just providing an elaboration.

I only cited the most non-involved and fool-proof method of doing things. 30 years is long but that method is not hard just boring. Invest in income generating assets, such as being a landlord, is riskier but can get you there much faster. Or if you got a good pulse on the stock market, you can make a windfall in days or months. I jumped in on BAC when everyone was running away and it was down to $5/share, tripled my money in a few months.

Watch BP. It's getting hammered right now and still with too much uncertainty. But when it gets down to say.. $15 a share, baring any new major bad thing happening, it'll make a decent long term buy and hold.

My finance prof made a ton of money off Ford recently. He bought it when it was dirt cheap like a year and half, two years ago. Really it was being drug down by the collapse of GM and Dodge as their cash flows were (and still are quite good).

Then again, they were lucky in that the leveraged the hell out of stuff right before the market collapsed so they had money on hand lol

You would spend 500,000 dollars on a house?! I think I see the problem. Do the math. If you invest one million dollars and get a 5% annual return you are looking at 50,000 per year. That is something like twice the national average I believe. If you can't live on that...well I am happy you live such an amazing lifestyle. Now if your investments tanked, that's another story.

Yeah I would. :oops: Hey, if I want a family I need a nice house to raise them in!

But I think we can all agree on this point though: Making money is extremely hard, getting rich is extremely hard unless you are born with it. I still believe that the people in the ghettos can become middle class people if they work hard at it. But if anyone wants to be billionaires then they are either born with it or SOL.

Tons of money and hot husband would be the only things I need to be happy. I don't understand how anyone can be unhappy with those two things. :laugh:

I have a hot wife and it makes me happy. I mean hotter than the girls on tv. BUUUT we're also quite poor...lol :)

Agreed.

I have a hot wife and it makes me happy. I mean hotter than the girls on tv. BUUUT we're also quite poor...lol :)

I think if I have a super hot husband I would be happy too...even if I am making only 30K a year. LOL...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I would. :oops: Hey, if I want a family I need a nice house to raise them in!

Owning your own house isn't as good of a investment vehicle as people use to think. Especially things unlikely to repeat the early to mid 2000 boom for a very long time. :smuggrin: The average homes have historically only averaged returns slightly above inflation. You can find better investments if increasing your wealth is your goal.

But I think we can all agree on this point though: Making money is extremely hard, getting rich is extremely hard unless you are born with it. I still believe that the people in the ghettos can become middle class people if they work hard at it. But if anyone wants to be billionaires then they are either born with it or SOL.

Buy as big/nice a house as you want and enjoy it. IMO, there's no point in earning money if you're not gonna enjoy it. Maybe I can come over one day and see what half a million dollars buys you? I will bring lunch.

Yes, getting rich is hard.

When you are the pharmacist will you hire techs from the ghettos? How much recruiting will you do in those areas? Approximately none? Yeah it's easy; they just need to work hard...

Sorry I am being so argumentative tonight. But I do wonder if you would even be willing to work with someone from the ghettos.

Owning your own house isn't as good of a investment vehicle as people use to think. Especially things unlikely to repeat the early to mid 2000 boom for a very long time. :smuggrin: The average homes have historically only averaged returns slightly above inflation. You can find better investments if increasing your wealth is your goal.

people would be better off not looking at house as an investment rather look at it as a home and a place to live. After all, house is a money pit plus interest payment, albeit tax deductible to a point, costs you money.

Crap...trying to figure out what Rule #1 is...wish I were kidding.

:smuggrin:

Rule #1 in your instance means...if you're going to boast about your hot wife...your post is worthless without pictures!

people would be better off not looking at house as an investment rather look at it as a home and a place to live. After all, house is a money pit plus interest payment, albeit tax deductible to a point, costs you money.

not including the work you end up putting into it that most people don't consider as a cost to the house and the fact most people really don't have control over nearby properties and their values...

I thought it was funny how all those house flipping shows suddenly vanished when the market crashed :laugh:

I think that is in that rich dad, poor dad book, right? Think of your home as an expense. It's only an investment if you actually plan on selling it for a profit, no?

I think that is in that rich dad, poor dad book, right? Think of your home as an expense. It's only an investment if you actually plan on selling it for a profit, no?

Does Kiyosaki say that? That scammer... I believe he's done somewhat well in real estate when times were good...then again who didn't.

But where he made the money is through Rich Dad Poor Dad books and seminars. Then again I'm not sure if he's helped anyone become wealthy. He really should teach people how to make money through writing books and seminars.

Crap...trying to figure out what Rule #1 is...wish I were kidding.

Yeah, post some pictures of her! I am curious to see. If she looks anything like Angelina Jolie or Adriana Lima, then you would be a very verrry lucky guy. ;)

I think if I have a super hot husband I would be happy too...even if I am making only 30K a year. LOL...

What happens when he goes old and... limp? :smuggrin:

Few years ago, I was thinking the same way. But I'm engaged to my classmate. Not as wild in bed as my ex but we share the same 1st gen immigrant background and both been though a lot. Being able to weather thick and thin will matter more sooner or later, me think.

Buy as big/nice a house as you want and enjoy it. IMO, there's no point in earning money if you're not gonna enjoy it. Maybe I can come over one day and see what half a million dollars buys you? I will bring lunch.

Yes, getting rich is hard.

When you are the pharmacist will you hire techs from the ghettos? How much recruiting will you do in those areas? Approximately none? Yeah it's easy; they just need to work hard...

Sorry I am being so argumentative tonight. But I do wonder if you would even be willing to work with someone from the ghettos.

I would LOVE to buy a 500K house. I guess it would have to depend on my future husband's paycheck too...I don't think making 120K a year and taking home 70K net is enough for that. :( And of course I would invite you over!

hmmmm....that's a good point. To be honest, I have never met anyone from the ghetto. I have met people on medicaid from working at Walgreens if that counts. I would hire some of the medicaid people that i have met if they applied for a position and was the most qualified one.

Does Kiyosaki say that? That scammer... I believe he's done somewhat well in real estate when times were good...then again who didn't.

But where he made the money is through Rich Dad Poor Dad books and seminars. Then again I'm not sure if he's helped anyone become wealthy. He really should teach people how to make money through writing books and seminars.

Isn't that true of all financial books/seminars/etc.?

I mean I agree with you, but I think that's a criticism of most (all?) wealth-building systems; they build the wealth of the authors not the participants. In that since they are very well-designed indeed.

:smuggrin:

Rule #1 in your instance means...if you're going to boast about your hot wife...your post is worthless without pictures!

And if you really want to make it legit, have her hold at least a paper sign that says I <3 Jinga! Or else it could have been a pic you just pulled off the internet :laugh:

What happens when he goes old and... limp? :smuggrin:

Few years ago, I was thinking the same way. But I'm engaged to my classmate. Not as wild in bed as my ex but we share the same 1st gen immigrant background and both been though a lot. Being able to weather thick and thin will matter more sooner or later, me think.

ewwwww.....good point. Yeah I haven't thought about it that far yet. I just know right now if I can marry a super hot guy that makes 50K a year or I can marry a millionaire that is butt ugly. I would easily marry the hot guy.

Haha I'll think about it-but yes...she would kill me.

Omg just post one picture of her. I am not doubting you but I am curious. :)

I would LOVE to buy a 500K house. I guess it would have to depend on my future husband's paycheck too...I don't think making 120K a year and taking home 70K net is enough for that. :( And of course I would invite you over!

hmmmm....that's a good point. To be honest, I have never met anyone from the ghetto. I have met people on medicaid from working at Walgreens if that counts. I would hire some of the medicaid people that i have met if they applied for a position and was the most qualified one.

SCORE!

The problem is they would not be the most qualified. How could they possible be the most qualified? Where would they have gotten the education/experience to be the most qualified? That's how the circle perpetuates. Everyone loves a good "pulled myself up by my own bootstraps" story (does anyone know what bootstraps are?), but where do you even get your first break?

I have never met anyone from a ghetto myself, but I am sure I would be quite uncomfortable around them, at least at first. No doubt in my mind I am picking the nice middle class kid and/or more experienced tech every time.

Last edited:

Pretty much. You don't buy just any asset. Assets are useless, or even worse, drains your cash flow. You need to buy assets that create net positive cashflow. And that's not buying a house, living in it, paying mortgage, property tax, repair cost for 30 years.

BTW, my walgreens was in the ghetto, and all of our techs are from the area. The turn over rate was very high, they come and go, fired for performance issue or get into trouble. But we keep hiring and turning them over, we have no choice.

ewwwww.....good point. Yeah I haven't thought about it that far yet. I just know right now if I can marry a super hot guy that makes 50K a year or I can marry a millionaire that is butt ugly. I would easily marry the hot guy.

Am I right to say you are rather young? I say early twenties. Not to be critical of your age, but just an impression I have based on my intuition.

Pretty much. You don't buy just any asset. Assets are useless, or even worse, drains your cash flow. You need to buy assets that create net positive cashflow. And that's not buying a house, living in it, paying mortgage, property tax, repair cost for 30 years.

BTW, my walgreens was in the ghetto, and all of our techs are from the area. The turn over rate was very high, they come and go, fired for performance issue or get into trouble. But we keep hiring and turning them over, we have no choice.

I have worked in places that have high turnover (not in pharmacy). It's awful. It's important to have the right people, get a good team together. Do you think it's almost impossible to find good help in your area? I kinda have to think your store is doing something wrong, it's hard to imagine that their are no good candidates at all in your area. Maybe you need better recruiting/selection/training? Or maybe there are no good potental employees in your area. That must suck though.

Am I right to say you are rather young? I say early twenties. Not to be critical of your age, but just an impression I have based on my intuition.

I am 25. So you think most older people would pick the ugly millionaire?

I have never met anyone from a ghetto myself, but I am sure I would be quit uncomfortable around them, at least at first. No doubt in my mind I am picking the nice middle class kid and/or more experienced tech every time.

Well, yeah, I didn't look or smell good in patched up 2nd hand cloths when I was a kid. Even the other ghetto kids teased and bullied me endlessly. I said f**k'em, and see who laughs last. Luckily, in this country undergrad admission committee don't want to see if you look or smell nice, just your GPA/SAT experience when they hand out scholarships and grant money. Or you can always join the army and get your education paid that way.

That's what I love about the country. It's more fair than most places in the world.

SCORE!

The problem is they would not be the most qualified. How could they possible be the most qualified? Where would they have gotten the education/experience to be the most qualified? That's how the circle perpetuates. Everyone loves a good "pulled myself up by my own bootstraps" story (does anyone know what bootstraps are?), but where do you even get your first break?

I have never met anyone from a ghetto myself, but I am sure I would be quite uncomfortable around them, at least at first. No doubt in my mind I am picking the nice middle class kid and/or more experienced tech every time.

Yeah, I see your point and WVU point too. But it is hard not to be annoyed. I don't think anyone has anything against the poor for being poor. I don't think I am any better than them. I think it just gets annoying when we eventually become pharmacists and working very hard etc. about 30% to 40% of our paychecks will be gone because there are these people to support (medicaid isn't cheap). I think most people if not everyone would much rather keep the money they make instead of giving it up for medicaid. We all know money is hard to earn, so no one likes to give a big portion of their paychecks to support people they don't even know. I am sure you agree with that last sentence.

Well, yeah, I didn't look or smell good in patched up 2nd hand cloths when I was a kid. Even the other ghetto kids teased and bullied me endlessly. I said f**k'em, and see who laughs last. Luckily, in this country undergrad admission committee don't want to see if you look or smell nice, just your GPA/SAT experience when they hand out scholarships and grant money. Or you can always join the army and get your education paid that way.

That's what I love about the country. It's more fair than most places in the world.

We are lucky that we are Asian. Most Asian families provide much support and have always care for us and taught us the value of an education. My family highly valued education and have always push me to do well in school.

Some people in the ghetto don't have that, so that's why they aren't as successful. Their parents didn't PUSH them to do well in school. Overall, I agree with you though.

I have worked in places that have high turnover (not in pharmacy). It's awful. It's important to have the right people, get a good team together. Do you think it's almost impossible to find good help in your area? I kinda have to think your store is doing something wrong, it's hard to imagine that their are no good candidates at all in your area. Maybe you need better recruiting/selection/training? Or maybe there are no good potental employees in your area. That must suck though.

Yeah it kind of sucks. My pharmacist always aid that just me and our senior tech (a nursing student) could be counted on to show up every time and on time.

People would quit after working for just a few months, get fired for stealing, or just not show up one day and you'll never know why. I get a feeling that a lot of them just don't care, as if it's just another job like the ### before, and they are just working it because it suits them for the moment.

We did have 1 tech when I started that was a dedicated fellow. He got into pharmacy school towards the end of my 1st year there. I'm happy for him. But he's the only one that said he wants to move up and follow through, out of the dozen techs the came and went during my 3 years there.

Yeah it kind of sucks. My pharmacist always aid that just me and our senior tech (a nursing student) could be counted on to show up every time and on time.

People would quit after working for just a few months, get fired for stealing, or just not show up one day and you'll never know why. I get a feeling that a lot of them just don't care, as if it's just another job like the ### before, and they are just working it because it suits them for the moment.

We did have 1 tech when I started that was a dedicated fellow. He got into pharmacy school towards the end of my 1st year there. I'm happy for him. But he's the only one that said he wants to move up and follow through, out of the dozen techs the came and went during my 3 years there.

My manager and I could not believe how many apps we'd get and when they'd get to the felonies & stuff they'd list:

'Possession of *Insert Drug*'
'Robbery'
'Armed Robery'
'Domestic Abuse'
'Distribution of *Insert Drug*

And, my all-time favorite, 'Found not guilty of murder'

I'm all for being honest on apps, but c'mon...

My manager and I could not believe how many apps we'd get and when they'd get to the felonies & stuff they'd list:

'Possession of *Insert Drug*'
'Robbery'
'Armed Robery'
'Domestic Abuse'
'Distribution of *Insert Drug*

And, my all-time favorite, 'Found not guilty of murder'

I'm all for being honest on apps, but c'mon...

I once had a man admit to murder during an interview.

Me: "I see you didn't check yes or no for felony convictions. How come?"

Man: "I killed a man."

Me:

Xiphoid, I think you are still missing WVU's point... It is true that the Asian attitude of making education a top priority is the reason many Asians and other immigrants make it out of the ghetto compared to non-immigrant Americans.

That said, you have to understand, that most people who live in the ghetto don't grow up with parents that have that same Asian mentality. Asian parents will do almost anything to make sure their kids are studying and making good grades, even if they have to force them. Although it's debatable whether or not the pressure that some Asian parents place on their children to succeed academically is really healthy, you damn sure benefited from it if you made it out of the ghetto and into pharm school. A lot of people in the ghetto grow up with parents who abuse drugs or just generally don't give a **** about them getting a good education and making something of themselves.

You really can't compare your situation to theirs. It's just not the same.

Xiphoid, I think you are still missing WVU's point... It is true that the Asian attitude of making education a top priority is the reason many Asians and other immigrants make it out of the ghetto compared to non-immigrant Americans.

The one walgreen tech I wrote about in the last post, he's african american. Nothing asian about him.

Look, it doesn't take an asian to know that go to school will get you out of the ghetto. White boys know, black boys know, everybody knows. Even the ghetto school I went to taught us this.

The only difference here is some of us WANTS to get out and makes the necessary sacrifices. That tech will tell you the same thing. He made the effort, while all the other techs were being homies. That's why he's out, others are not.

I would LOVE to buy a 500K house. I guess it would have to depend on my future husband's paycheck too...

I would buy a 500K house most definitely. I am not a very materialistic person by nature but I do want to live in a nice place surrounded by nature. What you get for 500K varies by region so that is also something to consider.

SCORE!

I've met a lot of people from the ghetto and some fit the stereotype, some don't. The problem is, is that you cannot always tell the difference between the two (if at all). You have to just have an open mind about it at first and give them a chance. Maybe they will **** you over, maybe they won't and maybe you can really help a person out. Passing judgement when you first meet someone hasn't really been my approach to life and I think it has worked out well.

Life happens. People have problems at home, kids, and other stressors that come with living in the ghetto that we might not know about (like having reliable transportation or not having the water on in their place to wash their clothes or not having a babysitter). But, it is understandable that an employer cannot give that many chances because of policies and you can only work with them so much.

Yeah, I see your point and WVU point too. But it is hard not to be annoyed. I don't think anyone has anything against the poor for being poor. I don't think I am any better than them. I think it just gets annoying when we eventually become pharmacists and working very hard etc. about 30% to 40% of our paychecks will be gone because there are these people to support (medicaid isn't cheap). I think most people if not everyone would much rather keep the money they make instead of giving it up for medicaid. We all know money is hard to earn, so no one likes to give a big portion of their paychecks to support people they don't even know. I am sure you agree with that last sentence.

People have given huge portions of their paychecks to you (who they do not know) so that you can have loans for school. How is that any different than giving someone money to get the healthcare they need so they have a better chance in the world?

That said, you have to understand, that most people who live in the ghetto don't grow up with parents that have that same Asian mentality. Asian parents will do almost anything to make sure their kids are studying and making good grades, even if they have to force them. Although it's debatable whether or not the pressure that some Asian parents place on their children to succeed academically is really healthy, you damn sure benefited from it if you made it out of the ghetto and into pharm school. A lot of people in the ghetto grow up with parents who abuse drugs or just generally don't give a **** about them getting a good education and making something of themselves.

You really can't compare your situation to theirs. It's just not the same.

You make an excellent point. Kids don't choose the families they are born into. Some kids are born into families where they are abused and not wanted. It's hard to be critical of them when they may not even be getting fed at home. This is an instant where I don't really blame society but I blame the parents. Then again, there are parents that are absent because they have to work three jobs to make ends meet. There is a big difference between the parents who care and those who don't give a crap. What causes that, I have no idea.

The one walgreen tech I wrote about in the last post, he's african american. Nothing asian about him.

Look, it doesn't take an asian to know that go to school will get you out of the ghetto. White boys know, black boys know, everybody knows. Even the ghetto school I went to taught us this.

The only difference here is some of us WANTS to get out and makes the necessary sacrifices. That tech will tell you the same thing. He made the effort, while all the other techs were being homies. That's why he's out, others are not.

This is also true. Some don't want to get out of the ghetto and that is their choice.

It is hard to make generalizations because everyone is different and everyone has a story. I don't know...I guess I have mixed feelings on the issue. You never know where someone comes from/what they went through or they could just be the most selfish douchebags you have ever met. How would you know?

u underestimate the power of parenting enforcement and influence or the lack of in shaping human behaviour.

growing up in ghetto with a crackho mom without knowing who ur father is not the same as growing up in ghetto under hard working poor immigrant parents who value education and instill work ethics in you.

growing up in ghetto with a crackho mom without knowing who ur father is not the same as growing up in ghetto under hard working poor immigrant parents who value education and instill work ethics in you.

On the other hand, when your cracked out stepfather is half passed out on the porch with a 40 in his hand and says to you, "College?!?! You ain't need that ****. I ain't got no college education and look at ME!"

...well...

Tell that to that black technician or all the other non-asians that worked their way out. He's a teenage dad. Glad the he didn't make excuses like that. Last I looked, schools are still mandatory, and still taught that staying in school can get you a better life. Also, the army is still around to pay for your education.

Excuses are like anus, everybody's got one. Hell, yeah, I could make excuses too. I could say I didn't succeed because "me spoke no engrish. Me got no food-stamp for burgers. Me fadda beat me all the time". On and on.

Nobody is taking responsibility and and that's why we got a bunch entitled people who won't get out of ghetto. And when those who worked their way out try to tell others how to get out, all they get is some outsiders try to tell them it's impossible. :rolleyes:

Last edited: