is retail THAT bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bear9288

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am starting pharmacy school but have not worked at any of the major chain/retail stores. I was wondering if retail is THAT stressful/frustrating as everyone says it is.

I ask because I am not the best at handling stress, not super comfortable having someone breathe down on my back, and having people/patients scream at me everyday.

I'm guessing it depends on the individual store/chain? Is this correct? Or are most of them like this? Is it bearable or can you do this long-term?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on your personality. I never minded it, personally. But if you don't deal with stress and fast-paced environment - than big chains probably aren't for you. Try a slower-paced grocery store, Target or K-Mart somewhere to get a taste of it with less stress.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you find a store in a rich neighborhood, you probably won't hear much complaining about prices, but there is gonna be a lot of snobbiness and bitching and moaning if they feel they are not treated better than others. In poor neighborhoods, they are a little more humble and nicer, but there is gonna be a lot of last minute changes when they find out what the price is.

In poor neighborhoods, they are a little more humble and nicer, but there is gonna be a lot of last minute changes when they find out what the price is.
I disagree. The stores with the high Medicaid population are the worst by far. They have the most entitled and the most bitching population I have ever seen. And the worst manners to boot. Just one day of working in 80%+ Medicaid store makes me want to abolish the program altogether. :mad:

it is probably the worst thing ever. if i had to work retail id roll out

The best thing to do is to see for yourself. Get a tech license and apply to a pharmacy.

I've been working as a tech at a 24 hour pharmacy for about 6 months now. Yes it can be stressful and hectic, but I never feel miserable. You'll have your good days and bad days like any other job. Also, the people you work with will have a great impact on how you handle the job. If you work with a good group, who back each other up and who you can laugh at all the craziness with, then it's not too bad at all.

The best thing to do is to see for yourself. Get a tech license and apply to a pharmacy.

I've been working as a tech at a 24 hour pharmacy for about 6 months now. Yes it can be stressful and hectic, but I never feel miserable. You'll have your good days and bad days like any other job. Also, the people you work with will have a great impact on how you handle the job. If you work with a good group, who back each other up and who you can laugh at all the craziness with, then it's not too bad at all.

They're starting pharmacy school. They don't need a tech license.

And I agree, it depends on the store, and you might find a good store to work in, but usually it's pretty bad if you work in a big chain. Probably smaller chains or independents are better. So far I've done my 2 retail IPPEs at independents and the workload there isn't too bad.

I'm not gonna name them, but IMO the worst neighborhoods to work in are those with a high % of this unnamed religious population. You can take your guess.
Those bastard Pastafarians, always going on about that noodly appendage :mad:

I just started interning at CVS and I really like the fast pace. It makes the time fly by. If you can't handle stress, you may want to find a slower pace environment like the others said. I think it's true too about the people you work with. My PIC cannot be phased, she is the best to work with. The thing that I'm struggling with the most is that you can't please everyone. Some people are going to go away disgruntled no matter how much attention you pay to them. I also have a few recommendations about how to improve workflow, but they'll probably fall on deaf ears at a big chain.

I disagree. The stores with the high Medicaid population are the worst by far. They have the most entitled and the most bitching population I have ever seen. And the worst manners to boot. Just one day of working in 80%+ Medicaid store makes me want to abolish the program altogether. :mad:

Bull****. I'd rather deal with 100% medicaid patients than 1 obnoxious rich person a month. At least poor people have a reason to be pissy...

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Although I have to agree with Sparda that the really rich people stores are nearly equal in the sense of entitlement. I yearn to work in a middle class store as Ive yet to have the opportunity and think they would be a nice change of pace.

I'm not gonna name them, but IMO the worst neighborhoods to work in are those with a high % of this unnamed religious population. You can take your guess.

My wife said Jews. She's allowed to say that because she is one.

I would have guessed Amish Mennonite. I don't imagine you would get much business and would have to go out of work.

Bull****. I'd rather deal with 100% medicaid patients than 1 obnoxious rich person a month. At least poor people have a reason to be pissy...
At least the rich people have earned their medications and their expectations, instead of wasting not just my time, but also my tax money with their every breath.

At least the rich people have earned their medications and their expectations, instead of wasting not just my time, but also my tax money with their every breath.

1) I used to be on medicaid. Both of my parents worked their ASSES off making millionaires out of CEOs and stockholders. They worked about 20 times harder than any of us do for 1/5th of the pay. I'd get pissed off because some rich ass pharmacist was giving me **** after I got done working a 10 hour shift for $6.30 an hour at Burger King, too.

2) Most people on medicaid are the working poor. I'm sure you don't know that because your pampered ass suburban life sheltered you from this. If you were a poor kid, shame on you.

3) Yes, every time anyone ever says anything about medicaid patients, I get pissed the **** off because I used to be one. I've gotten in the face of a pharmacist when I was an intern and told him, face to face, with my index finger 1/3" away from his temple, to shut the **** up when he started calling medicaid patients trash. To say my convictions are strong in this matter is being kind to the temporary insanity that it induces.

Hi, I am starting pharmacy school but have not worked at any of the major chain/retail stores. I was wondering if retail is THAT stressful/frustrating as everyone says it is.

I ask because I am not the best at handling stress, not super comfortable having someone breathe down on my back, and having people/patients scream at me everyday.

I'm guessing it depends on the individual store/chain? Is this correct? Or are most of them like this? Is it bearable or can you do this long-term?

Thanks.

Is it possible for you to wait until you complete your community IPPE before you look for/commit to a job in retail? It would give you an opportunity to see what it's like without being thrown full-fledged into helping screaming patients.

What you said though above about not handing stress well and having people yell at you I think is a red flag that you aren't cut out for retail long-term. Although I enjoy the fast-paced environment of retail, I am like you in that I have difficulty dealing with angry/upset people on a daily basis. I do it...but it is definitely the part of the job that I like the least. It's not to the point where I am completely closed to the idea of being a retail pharmacist, but I'm excited to check out other Pharm.D. opportunities that may provide a different working environment.

2) Most people on medicaid are the working poor. I'm sure you don't know that because your pampered ass suburban life sheltered you from this.
You are very wrong about the facts of my biography, that's first. In fact, whatever you are thinking about my life up to graduation from pharmacy school is probably 100% wrong. :D

Generally, difference in attitudes of those Medicaid patients who know that "work" is not a word in the dictionary and those who just sit on their ass in front of TV is quite noticeable. The first ones are far less likely to come up with entitled attitude. But in those areas with high Medicaid population I had worked with I would be overestimating if I said 20% of them had ever worked in their life. :rolleyes: People who know where money comes from tend not to waste it, whether it's theirs or not. Unlike those who live off government (or private) handouts. :rolleyes:

Generally, difference in attitudes of those Medicaid patients who know that "work" is not a word in the dictionary and those who just sit on their ass in front of TV is quite noticeable. The first ones are far less likely to come up with entitled attitude. But in those areas with high Medicaid population I had worked with I would be overestimating if I said 20% of them had ever worked in their life. :rolleyes: People who know where money comes from tend not to waste it, whether it's theirs or not. Unlike those who live off government (or private) handouts. :rolleyes:

What, did you take a survey? Did you ask who amongst them worked?

Utterly ridiculous and an insult to the profession.

You are dehumanizing them by creating a vision of a useless dredge on society that does nothing. You don't know anything about these people, what they do, or what challenges they face. You are prejudiced against poor people, I called you out on it, and you are trying to justify it with flimsy and absurd logic.

Disgusting.

----

Though to be fair, I hate rich people...

Jeez, I make a post, go out to lunch, come back and a whole war has broken out.

1199694086638.jpg

I've seen it both ways. I think the problem with medicaid patients is that most pharmacists/pharmacy students don't remember the poor worker who comes in to get his albuterol inhaler and leaves since they don't really do anything noteworthy in the pharmacy. You remember the a-holes asking for their "oxy-cotton" early and bitching about $0.50 co-pays while they talk on their $300 cellphone. Both types of medicaid patients exist, it's just an unconscious bias that we have when we think about them.

I've seen it both ways. I think the problem with medicaid patients is that most pharmacists/pharmacy students don't remember the poor worker who comes in to get his albuterol inhaler and leaves since they don't really do anything noteworthy in the pharmacy. You remember the a-holes asking for their "oxy-cotton" early and bitching about $0.50 co-pays while they talk on their $300 cellphone. Both types of medicaid patients exist, it's just an unconscious bias that we have when we think about them.

nice insight:thumbup:

Hey, whoa, that's really uncalled for.

Do you consider yourself an adult in a respectable profession, because you just make a huge generalization.

Are you saying that you haven't met one rich patient in the retail setting "wasting your time"? And that every Medicaid patient has wasted your time with every breath?

I'm sorry, but I was once a Medicaid patient and I'm supporting my parents who are old and unemployed. I work 3 jobs, pay the bill, a full time pharmacy student, and, not to gloat, but I'm a hard worker. And what you're saying is disheartening.

So I'm sorry, am I wasting YOUR tax money?

Maybe you meant that SOME Medicaid patients out there are lazy people who just rake in the low co-payments and benefits. If so, edit your fricken post. And where do you work? Are you not in the industry?

So do you know firsthand what EVERY store experiences with Medicaid patient. No, because no one knows what every person experiences, nor does anyone have the right to make such an obnoxious generalization. Don't make some "I'm holier than thou" comment when you don't understand firsthand about the retail experience.

Honestly, I thought you were a respectable person, with your nice thread on industry. It's sad to know that I'm wrong.

Yeah....so I guess my wife who is on medicaid because we are both college students that just had our first child doesnt deserve respect in a pharamacy because we are "trash", which also make my newborn son who is on medicaid "trash" to you. You just lots alot of respect and credibility on these forums from your rediculous and irresponsible outburst. I dont even care if thats how you really feel or not, for a professional that is disgusting.

What, did you take a survey? Did you ask who amongst them worked?
Employment statistics are free and provided by government. ;)

Are you saying that you haven't met one rich patient in the retail setting "wasting your time"? And that every Medicaid patient has wasted your time with every breath?

I have met plenty of patients of all financial statuses who wasted my time. And I dislike them all, but those who waste my time and pay for the wasted time with money they earned, rather than the State's money, are less annoying. As a big difference, they don't expect everything to be free just because they want it. :rolleyes:

The statement you quoted referred to all people who are being pissy (I was responding to that part of WVUPharm2007's post). Not all Medicaid patients. I could have phrased it better, but it's hard to type and watch the World Cup at the same time. :oops: But I do feel very strongly about someone who is both on Medicaid AND bitchy. OK - you get State's assistance, then be grateful for what you get, not feel that you are entitled to have everything for free just because you want it!

To address your other question, I do work for industry, but I have also 8 years of retail experience, most (but not all of it) part-time, working with populations from complete ghetto to super-rich (some being >$100M worth and other bigwigs) in different cities and states over that time. Enough to make up my mind about what kind of people I like working with more. BTW, I cannot recall a single time that someone who was actually very wealthy was bitchy to me or to any other employee.

Finally, I am not universally nice. Why would I be?

I would prefer to work retail in a rural, working class neighborhood.

I actually worked in a poverty stricken area when I worked retail. It wasn't the people's attitudes that bothered me (aside from the obvious drug seekers), it was the fact that so many of them are wage slaves and can barely afford to buy cough medicine for their kids. I also saw MANY elderly people who would cut their pills in half to make them last longer. As far as I am concerned, it isn't the people that are the problem, it is the system. I see it as an opportunity for education. Maybe they don't exercise ("sit on their ass in front of the TV") or maybe they buy 4 bags of chips instead of veggies...but, have you ever thought that maybe they truly do not know much about health or how these behaviors put them at risk? There is a difference between the manipulative drug seeker or entitled person gaming the system and the genuinely uneducated individual trying to make ends meet. You cannot always discern who is who. It is just better to treat them as you would treat any patient that comes to you in need. Make no mistake, most of these people want to know more about their health. They don't like being sick any more than you do.

Yes, it is THAT bad.

I would take Medicaid patients any day over the pompous, self-important; I think I am rich so you have to kiss my ass customer. 99% of Medicaid patties are courteous, appreciate they are getting their meds for free and they listen to you when you counsel. Sure there are the 1% outliers but you have those for every situation.

Here is my best rich ******* story. One of our sister stores located in a super rich neighborhood calls to see if we have Lovenox. We do so they send the customer down. He comes in all full of piss and vinegar. Throws the RX down on the counter and says he needs this RIGHT now!!! I look at it and tell him yeah the other store called we have it we will put it in line it will be about 30 minutes. His face gets red as a hell and he shouts at me "Don't you know I am a million air I am not waiting for this you will fill it right now!"
I said "good for you. the wait time is 30 minutes." He picked up the script and stomped off. We spent the rest of the day making fun of him. Every time someone needed something or asked someone to do something the response was some play on Don't you know I am a millionair! It was good fun.

Yes, it is THAT bad.

I would take Medicaid patients any day over the pompous, self-important; I think I am rich so you have to kiss my ass customer. 99% of Medicaid patties are courteous, appreciate they are getting their meds for free and they listen to you when you counsel. Sure there are the 1% outliers but you have those for every situation.

Here is my best rich ******* story. One of our sister stores located in a super rich neighborhood calls to see if we have Lovenox. We do so they send the customer down. He comes in all full of piss and vinegar. Throws the RX down on the counter and says he needs this RIGHT now!!! I look at it and tell him yeah the other store called we have it we will put it in line it will be about 30 minutes. His face gets red as a hell and he shouts at me "Don't you know I am a million air I am not waiting for this you will fill it right now!”
I said "good for you. the wait time is 30 minutes." He picked up the script and stomped off. We spent the rest of the day making fun of him. Every time someone needed something or asked someone to do something the response was some play on Don't you know I am a millionair! It was good fun.

I would have thought to say, "I take bribes" but that would have been inappropriate.

What you said though above about not handing stress well and having people yell at you I think is a red flag that you aren't cut out for retail long-term. Although I enjoy the fast-paced environment of retail, I am like you in that I have difficulty dealing with angry/upset people on a daily basis. I do it...but it is definitely the part of the job that I like the least. It's not to the point where I am completely closed to the idea of being a retail pharmacist, but I'm excited to check out other Pharm.D. opportunities that may provide a different working environment.

Customers and patients are not the only people who give you stress while working in retail.

In some places, it's relatively easier to deal with them.

Medicaid patients are not all the same. I've seen medicaid patients who come to the pharmacy only when they really need medications, but I've also seen medicaid patients who come in every other day (to pick up their benzodiazepines for their never-ending anxiety/pain medications and their birth control). I've seen medicaid patients in the drive thru with cars which seem to be older than me, with strange sounds coming from the engine and windows that don't work and I've seen medicaid patients drive up in brand new Hummers and Camaros. I've parents of medicaid patients choose not to pick up their child's cough medicine that wasn't covered, yet pick up their not covered diet pills at full price. And I hope that I someday meet a patient who gets wilfully gets off of medicaid when they don't need it anymore rather than work the system till it kicks them out.

I have to agree with this. Most of the people I interact with are quite pleasant (including medicaid patients), but of course every once in a while we get that obnoxious medicaid patient that is just completely unreasonable. Of course the mind goes straight to some version of "I am paying for your medication and you are b****** me out?" But most medicare patients are very easy to get along with if you aren't obnoxious to them first, imo.

Funny story. Obviously upset woman (medicaid patent) comes up to the counter with her baby. Gives me the script (something for the baby) and I start typing it in. Meanwhile she is just going on and on about the wait time, when can she pick it up, am I done typing it in yet/can she go, etc. When she came to pick it up, same story. I ask her for her birth date (per policy and also because of habit) and she starts up with "You know d*** well who I am yada yada yada".
I interrupted her with something like "Miss Upset, I am just trying to help you, their is no reason for you to be yelling at me."

As soon as the words left my lips, I thought, "Oh s*** what have I done."

To my surprise she started crying. Turns out she had been at the hospital all night because of her baby. She actually apologized for being so rude. Needless to say, I wasn't upset with her after that. I was moved.

Anyway I think my point was don't assume the worst about people, in this case she just had been through a rough ordeal and was using me as an inappropriate vent for her frustration. We got along find after that. I think she was happy to have someone to talk to about the whole situation.

Yes, it is THAT bad.

Here is my best rich ******* story. One of our sister stores located in a super rich neighborhood calls to see if we have Lovenox. We do so they send the customer down. He comes in all full of piss and vinegar. Throws the RX down on the counter and says he needs this RIGHT now!!! I look at it and tell him yeah the other store called we have it we will put it in line it will be about 30 minutes. His face gets red as a hell and he shouts at me "Don't you know I am a million air I am not waiting for this you will fill it right now!"

I'll up you one. When I was at WAG out in Phoenix, I was working at a store in a very nice neighborhood with a country club across the street. 100K cars and golf carts in the drive thru all day lol. Anyway, I had this lady, probably in her 50s drop off a script to one of the techs at the window, and I happen to be right there. The tech said 15 minute wait (store was pretty slow, B-rate city for me :D) and the lady said "Don't you know who I am? I live over there (pointed in the direction of the Club). We don't wait!" I looked up and said "Are you serious?" She flipped out and I busted out laughing, most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

Anyway as far as what type of neighborhood to work in, I'll go for poor over rich any day of the week. The best neighborhoods are working class areas. They seem to be the most level headed............in my experience. I couldn't stand working in the really nice areas of Phoenix, though I did get to meet/fill scripts for some celebrities which was cool.

To the OP.........no, it's not that bad. The folks on here are a very small percentage of practitioners, but make up for it with a high percentage of the complaining :thumbup:

Anyway as far as what type of neighborhood to work in, I'll go for poor over rich any day of the week. The best neighborhoods are working class areas. They seem to be the most level headed............in my experience. I couldn't stand working in the really nice areas of Phoenix, though I did get to meet/fill scripts for some celebrities which was cool.

To the OP.........no, it's not that bad. The folks on here are a very small percentage of practitioners, but make up for it with a high percentage of the complaining :thumbup:

Most of the complaints I hear are from my own coworkers :laugh:

I'll up you one. When I was at WAG out in Phoenix, I was working at a store in a very nice neighborhood with a country club across the street. 100K cars and golf carts in the drive thru all day lol. Anyway, I had this lady, probably in her 50s drop off a script to one of the techs at the window, and I happen to be right there. The tech said 15 minute wait (store was pretty slow, B-rate city for me :D) and the lady said "Don't you know who I am? I live over there (pointed in the direction of the Club). We don't wait!" I looked up and said "Are you serious?" She flipped out and I busted out laughing, most ridiculous thing I ever heard.

The "nice" areas of Phoenix have some of the most selfish pricks I have ever met in my life. Scottsdale, Paradise Valley, and the Biltmore area come to mind...although, many of the people in Scottsdale are "pseudo"-wealthy meaning they pretend they are rich but are actually just living off credit. Those, IMO, are the worst kind...the entitlement attitude plus the incessant need to prove they are better than everyone else by owning(leasing?) an Escalade, having 2.5 children who they dress inappropriately, and living in a gated community that is close to spas and salons where Botox is readily available. Generalization? Sure...but unless you have sat outside at Desert Ridge Mall for an afternoon, you haven't got even a slice of what the culture here is like in certain areas. I'd rather deal with the downtown "hipster" crowd. Can ya tell I am bitter? lol

1. Rich people. Respect that many are contributing members to society for the most part. Flipside is they should be educated enough to not be douchebags--far more satisfying to make fun of when they leave like Mountain said. Too much time with this group is linked with excessive Che memorabilia.
2. Poor people. A way too high percentage contribute nothing with their hands out taking our tax money (yes MANY hardworking MCD pt's are excluded from this...). BUT not as educated, so less offensive when they complain, not really satisfying to make fun of (think: shooting fish in a barrel or another bland analogy). Working with this crowd for long periods of time can make Fox News tolerable for periods as long as 10 minutes.

1. Rich people. Respect that many are contributing members to society for the most part. Flipside is they should be educated enough to not be douchebags--far more satisfying to make fun of when they leave like Mountain said. Too much time with this group is linked with excessive Che memorabilia.
2. Poor people. A way too high percentage contribute nothing with their hands out taking our tax money (yes MANY hardworking MCD pt's are excluded from this...). BUT not as educated, so less offensive when they complain, not really satisfying to make fun of (think: shooting fish in a barrel or another bland analogy). Working with this crowd for long periods of time can make Fox News tolerable for periods as long as 10 minutes.

I'm trying to figure out why is it that whenever I go to my doctor's office, all they have on their TV is Fox News or some other sensationalist media bull****. I think it's a secret way to get patient's angry and their blood pressures up before they see the doctor. Personally, I would have the TV on a Star Wars rerun or ESPN.

hey thanks guys so much for your input.

it has given me a better perspective and insight into retail pharmacy.

i've also grown to respect the pharmacy community here more. before, all i read was the bickering but i see that you guys are actually pretty thoughtful. LOL

hey thanks guys so much for your input.

it has given me a better perspective and insight into retail pharmacy.

i've also grown to respect the pharmacy community here more. before, all i read was the bickering but i see that you guys are actually pretty thoughtful. LOL

If you shadow a pharmacist in your area and ask them questions, they might give you their personal opinions.

They might also tell you about a classmate or a friend who has different feelings about retail, and you might want to shadow their friend too :laugh:

When it's good... It can be one of the greatest jobs out there.

When it blows... It can honestly feel like hell.

I'm not sure there is a job out there that isn't this way.

Hah, at my store if you're wearing a white coat and you speak spanish you're stuck in the OTC aisle for 10 minutes.

Being bilingual is great, employers love it and customers eat it up. But they never expect me to speak Spanish since people tell me I look like Conan O'Brien with brighter hair. I guess he doesn't look like someone that speaks spanish.

Thanks.

It also depends on who you work for. I used to work for CVS a long time ago and I'm proud to say I jumped off that no help awful sinking ship while I could. Independents all the way baby!

+1

To the OP, look into something else. Retail sucks.