is anybody taking Part 1 exam in May/June ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kisukr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if any taking NDBE part 1 exam in may/june, so that we can discuss some topics.

Thanks
Kishore

Members don't see this ad.

@ WED EXAM TAKERS

As i am writing this post, you will be starting your exam..LOADS OF LUCK AND GOOD WISHES COMING YOUR WAY....HOPE U STAY CALM< COOL AND GET THE FRUIT FOR YOUR HARDWORK..

I have been following yall's posts and just wanted to say GOOD LUCK!!! I am confident yall will do great from everything I have read! I am about to start studying for this exam and yall have been great motivation for me! Let us know how it goes!

I'm donnnnneeee!!! :laugh: I cant believe it I'm soooo relieved!
about the exam, well I have mixed feelings about it, one minute I say to myslef u did good girl and ur gonna get that score and the other minute I just remember those weird questions or atleast the ones "I" thought were weird and say naaaah ur not gonna make it! its one of those exams where u come out with absolutely no idea how well u did, but I have to say that the majority of the questions were so familiar and many were sooo easy, I found the teslets kinda tricky and didnt really like them and there were so many of them! time was more than enough for me and I had a chance to go back over the questions I marked coz I'm not sure about "there were alot of them :laugh:" but over all I'm just happy and relieved, as I know that I studied sooo hard in this short period and did my best, so no matter what score I get I wont blame myself...but I have to say that the exam in general is eaiser than I expected, most of the questions (95%) were so clear and straightforward, so for all of u who r taking the exam soon dont worry! just study hard and cheer up!
for all of u who are having the exam today or anytime in the near fututre I wish u all the best :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Please discuss in a detail about exam subject wise.That is please mention the important topics in CNS, emphasis on path ways , cranial nerve courses, and please shed some more light on all the future exam takers by discussing subject wise mode of study to ace the exam.
Thanks a lot from all of us.............

thanks goyald and wish you all the best..

congrats xactreality and huggies for completiing exams, and for me of course ;)

for future exam takers, i have just arrived from the exam center and i am really exhausetd, but there are really many things i can share with you about exam new format but not now since i am so sleepy :(

but in simple, the layout of the exam is TOTALLY different than the released exams we have, but still some repeated questions were there too (almost 20-30 Q litterlly and couple of Qs testing similar areas)

anyway, lets have sleep now and i will be back soon;)

Last edited:
Hi ninety,

Hope u did well........i can totally understand how it is after the exam ....waiting to hear from you, Huggies and xactreality too :)...your input will help all of us here...All the Best! thanks!

Well IT's over :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:, congrats to everyone who just wrote the exam.
I don't know where to start, so I'll start from the beginning (so be patient)

The exam was in that lovely room I spoke about, where we were squeezed in like sardines. It didn't matter though, I was so focused. At first I was so nervous I couldn't process the questions. The first dental anatomy question on occlusion took me over 5min to answer b/c my mind was just all over the place. Took me a while to calm down.

The first section was harder than I thought. From what I read here, people always said the first section was much easier than the afternoon section, and that they had lots of time left over. I marked 45 questions to go back to in the morning section, but by the time I was done, I only had half an hour, and didn't have time to go over all the marked questions. This really made me worry about the afternoon session, but it was actually easier, and I also marked about 50 questions to go over, but again didn't have enough time to go over them.

So now to the exam. There were about 20 questions repeated from previous exams. Some unfortunately I couldn't remember:bang:
The testlets were brutal.
There were about 5 questions that were asking for something I have never heard before... I'd tell you what it was ...but I never heard of it before...and now don't even remember...can't even look it up.
There were very few questions asking for specific components of pathways in biochemisty. I can't believe I spent all this time memorizing them, and I think there was only one question. Dental anatomy was very straight forward, just like the released exams, maybe even easier. Anatomy was just brutal. They kept asking these bizzare questions, lots on nerves of head and neck. I think only one or two questions on the abdomen, again very annoying since I memorized every freaken vessel and muscle in the abdomen. I found pathology pretty challanging too. Lots of cancers, but nothing on the bizzare conditions that you sometimes hear about.

You have to read the questions soooo carefully. Multiple times I cought myself wanting to pick an answer, only to discover it wasn't there, or that another similar answer was there, which made me go back to the question only to discover that I missed one important word in the question, which made what I initially thought was for sure the answer, actually wrong. I couldn't believe how tricky they were in couple instances, for what would appear a very easy question.

It wasn't easy but it also wasn't very difficult. Like ninety said, the format was quite different from what I expected. The questions mostly asked that you "apply" your knowledge. So if you don't know the answer immediatly, it helps to write out the process of the diseases listed, the answer than all of a sudden becomes obvious.

Last edited:
Hi dear,
First of all congrats on your successful completion of your exam.I hope all of you come out with a very good result.Keep enjoying ........:laugh:..:laugh:
JUst wanted to know the pattern....Is it distributed 100 questions per evry subject or is it more emphasized on Pathology and Anatomy???:confused:Some of my friends said that it is all about pathology and Anatomy.Very few questions on Biochem, physio and Micro.Huggies is also repeating the same thing.
So Huggies do you think it is more about learning concepts???? So we should focus on Anatomy head and neck for nerves, lymphatics ???How about TMJ??Where should we read it from???:confused::confused:
I want to do pathology in much more detailed way becos even on USMLE 50% of questions you can answer if you know pathology very well.I guess our NBDE is also focusing in the same way.What do you suggest????
Please share your valuable experiences subject wise.Again we are not behind remembered questions, just we want to know the pattern in detail.So that we can plan accordingly.
Huggies, did you find that NBDE first aid helpful???How abt decks????:confused:Please answer our questions.Please let us know about the emphasis on Pathways, CVS and neurophysiology.How abt endocrinology??:confused:Is it pretty straight forward or should we go through USMLE notes to know the hormonal action in much more detail...
Thanks from all of the future test takers.....

Dentbaby, it did feel like the questions were all about anatomy and pathology, but I think that's just because those questions were more challenging so you remember them more, you forget the easy questions. I think Kaplan first aid is better every section except biochem. I think USMLE is better for biochem. I didn't have many questions on TMJ, the few that were there were very simple, again dental anatomy was very fair.
I didn't have any questions on embryoloygy, and only couple simple ones on neurophysiology. Like I said lots on head and neck nerves, by that I mean about 10 questions asking for things in a very convoluted way. That was the problem, a lot of questions asked for stuff in a strange way. CVS physio questions were simple, but the path questions were weird. Yes know your risk factors, but not just the most obvious ones.
I didn't have any pictures or diagrams. Endocrinology was tricky, know exactly what hormones do.

Aside from the extra questions on anatomy, I'm not sure what else I would read differently. For path questions, most of the challenge were the testlets. They would give you whole bunch of info, symptoms, meds, and based on that ask you what you thought the person was suffering from or was at risk for... and most of the time, it wasn't that obvious or they would give 2 conditions that were very similar, and you'd have to read the testlet again, just to get it right. Like I said, most conditions were very common, nothing obscure. Nothing on pathways, I think maybe one question, very general, very easy, no specific pathway info. Hope this helps.

Hello,

Congratulation to XACTRIALITY and HUGGIES ...
AS far as i think XAC exam went well and Huggies is worried about exam.I took my exam few months back and we should have lot of patience to stay for 7 hours of exam. The main problem for me was i was not able to foccus in every questions and i found testless section difficult. When i came out of the exam hall i was blank and was not able to remember anything and i thought i will get less then 75. But when i got my score it was not bad ..... i am going to retake my exam soon because i want score above 87.
So, it's for huggies don't worry sometimes miracle can happen .......
Only few people can guess about there exam and not all ........

Huggies,
Please suggest some study plan for patholgy and Microbilogy.Where from I can read it??What are the sources to study and how many days should I spend on both of them considering that I am studying for 10 hours per day.Thanks a lot in advance....

im having a hard time, still stuck with physio...doing decks..,,got first aid today, how i wish I had tht book earlier, its so much easy to read from tht, nw I dont have much time left, I dnt know tht when i revise should I go through the kaplan material or frst aid..was looking at da, I remember nthng:eek:.. did da n biochem long time bk....hard time fr me..

I dnt thnk so I will be able to take xam in less than 4 weeks time, I need more time, knowing tht if i screw up i will not be able to give it again...
nwdays, im nt putting tht many hours, most of the time im so tensed tht im nt able to study well...

il get back to dental decks fr physio n complete them, will read frst aid for physio tomm, so that I cover all imp topics, and then saturday old xams...sounds like a plan,..but lets see how far will I get thru...

good luck dentbay... nw its our turn to drill ourselves ...
I hope u r doin well and taking care of your health...

Members don't see this ad :)
dentbay

I will be doin patho from goljan audio lecture and frm first aid..no much time to open kaplan...

Hi ,
Even I am stuck in physiology and after doing USMLE lectures , I feel like I don't remember anything.So I will do it tomorrow from First aid and NBDE Kaplan review , so if I get any doubt I will go back and listen to that lecture again.Then I have to start Biochemistry and I want to finish it in 5 days from USMLE lectures.Then will do decks of B& P, then questions, Let us see....Please do updates from your side , we should motivate each other....It's now our turn.....

Huggies,
Please suggest some study plan for patholgy and Microbilogy.Where from I can read it??What are the sources to study and how many days should I spend on both of them considering that I am studying for 10 hours per day.Thanks a lot in advance....

i used kaplan first aid for path and microbi and found them good. Definitely enough for microbi. As for path, if I had to study again for the test I honestly don't know what I would read. I would try different sources but don't have a clue what kind. If I do well, then obviously kaplan was enough, if I don't do well, then I'll have to look at different sources. Unfortunately by the time I get my results, you will be about to write the test, so it won't be much help to you.

huggies, xactreality , ninety

hey u grls ...nw u help other grlss:)

on xam was somethng ask beyond frst aid n decks?

do u think being with them is more than enuf?

Hi everyone,

well, I am too very worried about my score, whats frustrating about the exam is that u come out with absolutely no idea about how u did, u just have to wait the 3-4 weeks period!

I agree with Huggies in everything, u described the exam perfectly girl! I felt that anatomy and patho took over the exam but at the same time when I try to remember anything I am just blank! well...some questions still haunt me in my sleep but I'll get over it soon...hopefully :laugh:

the one topic that I didnt prepare well for it and felt like there were many questions about is DNA...so its a good idea to read more in that area since its not well covered in the past exams.

wish u all the best :)

Back again;)

i am going to divide my post into 2 parts: Exam and Preparation
well, i will talk now about exam and what i have experianced since i may forgot later on=)

IMPORTANT: for the seek of clarification, i will use examples to explain some points regarding new format, But these are not necessarily REAL EXAM Q, to avoid any dilemma with ethics and regulations:)

OUTLINE:
the exam was divided into 2 parts, each consists of 200 Q
of the 400 Qs there are = 80 Qs of testlets or case senario related + 320 Qs of direct multiple choice Q

the testlet Qs were at the end of the first part and begining of the second part

time was sufficient to finsih questions and review some marked Qs for most people, but for me i almost finsihed on time or ended up with 2 more minutes because of 2 reasons
1- i dont want to go through questions again since the 1st answere is almost always the best answere you can reach
2- when i see i have plenty of time, i go more slowely to concentrate on the tricky question more (but not more than 1 minute each)

CONTENT:
1- Unfortunately, the exam new format is totally different than the previous versions, including the released ones

2- although questions are very short (one line or even half a sentance!) and look easy, they are not!

3- they are tricky in a way that one word in the question may change the first answere choice that just passed through your mind

e.g. proximal view V.s. proximal contacts

4- also, they use the language sometimes to confuse you

e.g. proximal views of lower anteriors is wedged (or triangular)!

5- surprisingly, there is no much technical words in the exam to the extent that make you feel that even lay people can solve and this is an advantage and disadvantage at the same time

e.g. Advantage: when they asks you about the general class of an important substrate (lets say glucogenic compounds such as proteins carbs but not lipids) instead of asking the very exact name of the FA (Palmitate), so you dont have to remeber exact names but you should have the whole picture in your mind
Disadvantage: sometimes this general description prevents you from knowing what the examiner is really testing you on, so you got lost easily (Carbohydrate metabolism V.s. glycolysis/PFK) or you wont know what exact area is being tested (Physio V.s. Bio)

6- repeated questions were almost 20 or 25, i cant remember exact number but these were the questions repeated letter by letter; however, other questions were testing similar areas tested by released exams

e.g. if in a released exam you had a Q about structures superior to hyoglossus mm, in new format you may have a Q about structures deep to hyoglossus mm

7- general description of exam Q:
Bio: very few questions asking about certain names of enzymes or substrates, majority are blended with other questions
Physio: hard, tricky, and sometimes uses words to mislead you (e.g. when Nerve/Muscle is being tested, it may be mentioned that masster muscle is ...etc while choices are concerned with nerve/mm)
Micro: i didnt feel there much exam questions on micro, and didnt remeber any question regarding a specific name of bacteria/toxin except for 2-4 Qs
Patho: whatever material you read, it tests your general understanding of the material rather than specific names of tests/pathohisto/..etc
DA: the hardest part, most of questions concentrated on proximal contacts and cuspal ridges and very few on general morphology
Anatomy: if you memorized it and visulaized word by word, you should be ok, since either it is asking about a straightforward info or asking about localization of structures (structure A is deep to/lateral to/penetrating through..etc)

General tips for exam:
a- the day before the exam have a good sleep and dont ruin a long peroid of study and tiredness because of some info here and there

b- the best way to measure your study effectiveness is to do couple of exams once you finish each part (so that you know where you are deficient and conentrate on/read more) and dont delay this to last 1-2 weeks since you may freak out and be surprised with things you didnt expect

c- try to know why you got a mistake insted of memorizing Q, since the same info may repeat in another format in the real exam

d- THE EXAM DEPENDS ON INFO YOU HAD IN THE DENTAL SCHOOL, SO WHATEVER YOU PREPARE FOR THE EXAM SHOULD BE A REFRESHMENT UNLESS YOU DECIDE TO GO FOR A MINIMUM OF 6 MONTHS STUDY PEROID

and i hope this was a sufficient overview of the exam and i will be back later on to answere questions, if any, and continue with the second part, Preparation materials for those who are interested, but now i should go to sleep since tom. i will strat my vacation by a trip;)

yours, Ninety

Hi!I'm writing my exam in july, so members who have already taken there exam please throw some light regarding questions posted on sdn forum.Did u guys review these question? Were they helpful in the exam?thanks

Hi!I'm writing my exam in july, so members who have already taken there exam please throw some light regarding questions posted on sdn forum.Did u guys review these question? Were they helpful in the exam?thanks

Hi,

well, for me I actually found those quetions confusing, most of them are not complete or without even choices and the idea of looking them up is just so unrealistic and time consuming, plus it confuses me more reading different opinions and answers from people and no one knows for sure what the correct answer is, I used to read them when I first started my preparation but then stopped, I am a person who likes to concentrate on one scource rather than swim in a pile of stuff, it is true that the exam requires u to have knowledge in a wide range but only as a basic one and going after every single question out there is not worth it, but again, that's just "my" opinion :)

Hey, Congratulations in advance to all of you who took the exams because we all are sure you deserve and will get above 90....

And I want to thank all of you for updating us and letting us know about the exam format and all the other important stuff.....It is really a very very great help for all of us who still have to write the exam.......

Hey, can you please tell me where can I find those case scenario Questions......Are they somewhat similar to those in Dental Decks?

Hey, Congratulations in advance to all of you who took the exams because we all are sure you deserve and will get above 90....

And I want to thank all of you for updating us and letting us know about the exam format and all the other important stuff.....It is really a very very great help for all of us who still have to write the exam.......

Hey, can you please tell me where can I find those case scenario Questions......Are they somewhat similar to those in Dental Decks?

I didnt find them similar to the ones in the decks, the testlets were the most difficult and tricky part of the exam and there were many of them, there was little information in the question scenario and the questions were so specific! I found the ones in the deck too easy and straightforward, I am sorry to have to tell u this, but it's nothing like the real exam. I dont think that they need a special source to read from coz the testlets actually test the same basic information, its the way and the wording of it that made it difficult and not clear.

Hey xactreality thanks for that info......So you say it tests your general knowledge about the subjects......Thanks a lot

hey xactreality and huggies,
can u plz tell me was there qs abt shoulder, arm, abdominal? abt there Musles, nerves ,vessels?? abt innervation of fingers??
was there qs abt special systems like anatomy of reproductive system, GIT etc...
what abt CNS?? just abt Cranial nerves, their functions and asending decending track names ...i mean general things or very detailed qs??
what abt physiology? are Kaplan notes enough?

thanks for the suggestion...i agree.
Hi,

well, for me I actually found those quetions confusing, most of them are not complete or without even choices and the idea of looking them up is just so unrealistic and time consuming, plus it confuses me more reading different opinions and answers from people and no one knows for sure what the correct answer is, I used to read them when I first started my preparation but then stopped, I am a person who likes to concentrate on one scource rather than swim in a pile of stuff, it is true that the exam requires u to have knowledge in a wide range but only as a basic one and going after every single question out there is not worth it, but again, that's just "my" opinion :)

hey xactreality and huggies,
can u plz tell me was there qs abt shoulder, arm, abdominal? abt there Musles, nerves ,vessels?? abt innervation of fingers??
was there qs abt special systems like anatomy of reproductive system, GIT etc...
what abt CNS?? just abt Cranial nerves, their functions and asending decending track names ...i mean general things or very detailed qs??
what abt physiology? are Kaplan notes enough?

yes, there were questions on everything you listed, but not as much as head and neck. You have to remember that there are always two different exams being given (A and B), so your exam may be very different from ours. I didn't use Kaplan notes only Kaplan first aid, and that was a very good book. From what I read here from people using kaplan notes, it's very good as well.

Yes, it is similar to the ones offered in dental decks, only more wordy and confusing. But the format is the same, and some questions you can answer w/o even reading the testlet.

Yes, it is similar to the ones offered in dental decks, only more wordy and confusing. But the format is the same, and some questions you can answer w/o even reading the testlet.[/Q
Huggies, thank you very much for your input. Your thread has been very helpful to me and I could hardly wait to read your posts every day. Hope you get the score that will help you specialize in Pedo. Good luck!
I also have a question. You always mention Kaplan first aid but by this you mean NDBE First Aid because Kaplan doesn't have any First Aid's?

Yes, it is similar to the ones offered in dental decks, only more wordy and confusing. But the format is the same, and some questions you can answer w/o even reading the testlet.[/Q
Huggies, thank you very much for your input. Your thread has been very helpful to me and I could hardly wait to read your posts every day. Hope you get the score that will help you specialize in Pedo. Good luck!
I also have a question. You always mention Kaplan first aid but by this you mean NDBE First Aid because Kaplan doesn't have any First Aid's?

You're absolutely right, it is first aid NDBE part 1. I thought it was put out by kaplan just like the usmle first aid, but now I see it's not.

Last edited:
WOW... congrats!

it is an excellent grade:)

can you please tell us when you exactly wrote the exam (date)? so that we can expect when we are going to recieve the results:(

huggies

hey grl...
dnt take tnsn, nw tht xam is over , its over, and all tht effort of urs will not go waste..
ul shine with a brilliant score...
just realx and njoy and start shortlisting the schools:)

Please help...

where do you get explanations for the released exams? I don't have any given explanations. Thanks so much!

Hi frens,
Don't worry toomuch about ur score.You will get it.
Ninety ,Thanks a lot for sharing your opinions in detail.But
Huggies, Don't worry much and don't stop posting...You will get ur desired score 0f 92.I am sure....

Please keep on posting to motivate all of us...

If you have nothing else to do, go ahead, but I wouldn't. They're not similar to the actual exam at all.

now tht was a joke, nthng else to do, still have nt done patho...:laugh:

wht do u think is the best source for practicing questions...

thanks dentbaby, finally someone appreciated my posts!

and best of luck in your exam;)

Huggies, i am already worried so dont overwhelm me;) just kidding

but we have nothing to do but wait:(

hey ninety, ur post was really helpfull....its just tht i didnt say thnks previously... im sorry fr tht...

hey i have very less time left, need to practice more n more questions, gettn panicky rite nw....

hello goyalD, dont panic

be calm and continue with solving exams to know your weakness and concentrate on these areas

and try to know why you got these mistakes instead of memorizing Q/A since not many Qs repeat BUT same ideas DO repeat

Ninety, what are you saying ?? Of course that all of us appreciate your posts !!! Thank you very much for taking the time in sharing your experiences with us :)
I am really grateful with all of you, who have been getting ready for the test, and have been taking the time to share your experiences throughout the study process and after your test. It has been really helpful for me, I don't feel alone anymore in this journey, I know that there are a lot of brilliant people having the same fears and doubts that I might have had at some point. I am proud to see how everybody's hard work is paying of.
Congratulations to all of you who already wrote the test, I am sure you will get the score you are looking for. And for all of us who are still getting ready for the test, go for it, we can do it !!! Just keep the hard work !!!

now tht was a joke, nthng else to do, still have nt done patho...:laugh:

wht do u think is the best source for practicing questions...

practice the released exams, start from the most recent ones, and go back as you have time. Ninety is right, not a lot of questions are exactly the same, but similar ideas, some will actually sound similar, but couple critical things will be different, that will actually require a different answer than you may initially think. So read carefully and don't get tricked. :xf:

For those of you writing the exam soon, try not to panic, just keep reviewing, you've done what you could thus far, panicking in not going to help. Set up a plan for the last few days, of things you want to accomplish, and focus on that. Don't dwell on what you don't feel strong about, chances are they won't ask anything on it, or at most one question. Of course I'm not talking about not knowing the whole section of physiology, b/c then you're toast. But no matter what, this is just an exam, you can do it again. Do your best. We're all keeping our fingers crossed for you. :xf: