is advanced imaging useful to increase chances to match general cardiology fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gifed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently heard about someone (probably didn't match during the past cycle) accepted an advanced imaging position at a (almost) first tier university program after IM residency. How much will it increase the chance to match into general cards? I have heard some lower tier large community/university affiliated programs also offers advanced imaging positions for IM grads, with almost guaranteed admission into their general cards program starting the following year. Would that hold true for higher tier programs?

Members don't see this ad.

How do you do advanced imaging without gen cards?

I thought you needed gen cards to be echo / CT / mri boarded?

Can you then theoretically do advanced imaging fellowship only and not gen cards and pump out the RVUs while they’re still there since echo is most RVUs of cardiology practice? Why don’t more people do this?

Lul wut. Need to have a job to read echos. Need to be cardiologist to get job. Need to do general fellowship to be a cardiologist

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably not by itself. The research done during that time is likely a bigger factor. Especially for top tier programs which are very competitive. But if someone didn't match the first time, they probably don't have a shot at those top programs anyway and extra fellowship won't likely change that. Of course there are exceptions.

How do you do advanced imaging without gen cards?

I thought you needed gen cards to be echo / CT / mri boarded?

Can you then theoretically do advanced imaging fellowship only and not gen cards and pump out the RVUs while they’re still there since echo is most RVUs of cardiology practice? Why don’t more people do this?

You do need gen cards for echo boards iirc. While I question the quality of such training w/o gen cards, ultimately in the real world you can do whatever you want, with or without training or board cert. PCPs can do echos if they want. But it's one thing to do it, another to get hired/reimbursed for it or have some liability protection. People probably don't do it because it's a questionable way to practice and there's no market for it anyway.

You cant get certified in imaging via COCATS until you complete cardiology fellowship really. So imaging is a gamble.

Its not unusual to see IM residents do an imaging fellowship prior to getting into cardiology. There are a handful of such fellowships who can’t fill with general cardiology graduates who will take iM residents since it’s a non acgme fellowship.

The advantage of that pathway - for those who didn’t match - is that it gives you exposure to faculty who can support your cardiology fellowship and more importantly you may get some research experience. As a PD I am not opposed to a fellow coming in with that experience - it enriches the fellowship. It can also be a double edge sword because some people come into fellowship thinking they are imaging experts and not open to being taught.