Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS called off the waitlist on 4/5, declined. Good luck somebody else!

Do you mind sharing your alternate rank?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an email to check my portal. Got called off the wait list!!! :) #22 alternate.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool I saw you were accepted at Mississippi as well, where are you going to go?

I'm accepting my position as ISU! However, if I get off the WSU waitlist, I will definitely be going there (I would be able to get IS tuition as an OOS student).
Too bad I won't find out until after National Acceptance day.

Either way, I fell in love with Ames so I will be more than happy to go to either school. :)

I'm accepting my position as ISU! However, if I get off the WSU waitlist, I will definitely be going there (I would be able to get IS tuition as an OOS student).
Too bad I won't find out until after National Acceptance day.

Either way, I fell in love with Ames so I will be more than happy to go to either school. :)
That's awesome! Congrats!

I am also accepting my position! Got called today off the OOS waitlist (#25). Definitely excited!

Reactions: 3 users
Just declined my position at ISU! Hope one of you get it! Good luck!!

I was 28 on the wait list and was called off it yesterday as well. I've already declined, as I accepted a spot at my in-state. Good luck to everyone else!

JUST GOT MY ACCEPTANCE CALL!! :soexcited::clap::banana:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Since it looks like the waitlist is progressing a bit, here's a couple of potentially helpful links for those of you who will be attending or are very strongly considering attending ISU:

Log into Facebook | Facebook <---- The official c/o 2021 page. At around this time last year, the c/o 2020 page was already flooded with students discussing housing, roommates, and whatnot, so this might be useful for that as well as asking general questions about the school; Dr. Howard will hang around on the page as an admin until after orientation to answer queries and give guidance, so take advantage of that!

Log into Facebook | Facebook <---- This is the Vet Med Buy, Sell, and Trade page. You might not be able to request to join yet as I believe that it requires an @iastate.edu email address, but it would still be a good one to keep bookmarked and on tabs. Lots of current students will start selling their VM1 textbooks for considerably cheaper than retail prices (and do realize that you absolutely do not need to purchase all of the "Required" books, either; I can elaborate more on that if you'd like). There's also furniture, pet supplies, electronics, and other items that appear on occasion.

Congratulations to those who've recently been accepted! Seeing you all post here reminds me of how I felt last year before I got hit by the train that is vet school. Hold onto that excitement and happiness as long as you can. :)

Just got an acceptance call. I'm #65 and will be declined my seat. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I'm a long time lurker but I just wanted to update ya'll on waitlist movement-- OOS #69/165 accepted today (4/18/17). I declined. Good luck everyone!

#73 OOS, just got the call. I'll be accepting my seat! I'm going to be a Cyclone!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Accepted OOS #76 on waitlist, but will be declining my seat. Best of luck to the rest of you all :)

for those of you who have been called off and accepted a position.... I got called off yesterday (woohoo!) and I want to accept my position but I am a bit confused on how to do so. A few messages ago on the portal we were told that if offered, we'd have 3 days to respond, but the message about being offered a position said to just mail my paperwork/deposit in by the 28th...which is much more than 3 days from the message. So I'm just looking for a bit of clarification/ what others have done

Thanks!

for those of you who have been called off and accepted a position.... I got called off yesterday (woohoo!) and I want to accept my position but I am a bit confused on how to do so. A few messages ago on the portal we were told that if offered, we'd have 3 days to respond, but the message about being offered a position said to just mail my paperwork/deposit in by the 28th...which is much more than 3 days from the message. So I'm just looking for a bit of clarification/ what others have done

Thanks!
If you know you're accepting, just call or send a message. Then get your deposit in by the 28th.

Thanks!

Do you mind telling me what was your number on the OOS waitlist?

After you've sent in your acceptance paperwork and deposit, how long did it take for them to update the tracking page? I sent mine in on Monday, but I didn't get tracking on it (since I'm literally less than two hours away), and now I'm kind of worried it got lost...

After you've sent in your acceptance paperwork and deposit, how long did it take for them to update the tracking page? I sent mine in on Monday, but I didn't get tracking on it (since I'm literally less than two hours away), and now I'm kind of worried it got lost...
It took them about 2 full business days. I mailed mine out last Thursday and it was updated on Monday. I'm in CA btw.

If anything, id give them a call and see if they just haven't gotten a chance to update the portals yet. :)

Do you mind sharing your alternate rank?
I never got an alternate rank # because they called me off the list the morning the numbers came out. It never said on the portal, only that I had been admitted. I'm sorry I couldn't be more helpful! good luck!

Any current students willing to help me out? I committed to U of I, but I got called off the waitlist today at Iowa. Now I am kind of confused and want to advice/input! Thank you!

Any current students willing to help me out? I committed to U of I, but I got called off the waitlist today at Iowa. Now I am kind of confused and want to advice/input! Thank you!

What was your waitlist number? As for the quandary, I'm not a current student (sorry). You will likely lose your deposit at U of I, but people do this more frequently that you would expect (you can just look for SDN discussions on waitlisted IS accepted OOS). If you switch, someone at U of I will be happy, and us poor waitlisted people here are disappointed. However, this is the next 4 years of your life, so you need to make a decision based off what you need/want. I didn't apply to U of I, so I obviously think Iowa State is better, but that's just me. Personally, I would obviously prefer you stay at U of I. But I'm biased. :) Good luck!

I'd be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to send them via PM. You caught us the week before finals so I can't promise super long answers, but I'll try my best

What was your waitlist number? As for the quandary, I'm not a current student (sorry). You will likely lose your deposit at U of I, but people do this more frequently that you would expect (you can just look for SDN discussions on waitlisted IS accepted OOS). If you switch, someone at U of I will be happy, and us poor waitlisted people here are disappointed. However, this is the next 4 years of your life, so you need to make a decision based off what you need/want. I didn't apply to U of I, so I obviously think Iowa State is better, but that's just me. Personally, I would obviously prefer you stay at U of I. But I'm biased. :) Good luck!
Feel free to PM me any questions, as well, if you'd like a couple of opinions (and that's a general you so it applies to everyone). Just be aware that it might take a little bit for me to get back as we're all in scramble mode for finals.

Does anyone have any affordable pet-friendly apartment complex recommendations? What places to avoid and all that good stuff?
I've got my Jack Russell Terrier that I want to bring to school with me and a boyfriend that will most likely move to Ames with me as well. :)

So far I've looked at K & J Cooper Properties and J&L Sorenson Enterprises but it's so difficult to know exactly what you're looking at when you can't explore the place in person.

Thank you in advance!!

I understand you being biased =P I was number 84, so they are really moving through it!

Does anyone know whether or not they will announce when they are finished with calling people off the alternate list?

Regretfully I just declined my OOS seat so there should be another call going out soon :)

Does anyone know whether or not they will announce when they are finished with calling people off the alternate list?
I don't know if they do. In the past, there have been offers extended in August, when people who paid deposits for two OOS schools finally declined one. If I were you, I'd just plan on applying again next fall so you can be pleasantly surprised if you do get a call.

What was your waitlist number? And I'm simultaneously sorry you declined but happy there's another spot :)

I was #44! I loved the school and Ames but that out of state tuition is nuts! Especially without the chance to get in state tuition after one year. Best of luck to you!!

For those still waiting to hear, here's an update: I got an acceptance call this morning. I was originally #116. I'll be accepting my position and am more excited than ever!!!! Good luck to those waiting to hear!

Thank you! You're the best!

Oh wow congrats!! I got 99 but I think my chances are none at this point

Ooh, does that mean you got in? So much for chances are none, right?

Also, for those of you who thought, "A graph of admissions offered by day would be nice, but who would waste their time making that?"...well...umm... :D ... I've incorporated the fact that they don't offer on weekends (thus the periodic zeros). I've also assumed people not offered admission April 5th were not included in the 165. Let me know if you want any other details, or if I made an error.

Update: I just received an email stating the next number to be called is #124.
ISU Waitlist Movement.jpg

Last edited:
to anyone who was waitlisted and accepted their position: how long did it take you to get a financial letter for the school year?

Does anyone know how to find the ISU CVM Facebook buy+sell page?

to anyone who was waitlisted and accepted their position: how long did it take you to get a financial letter for the school year?

I emailed the financial aid office and they said that our packets should be mailed out in Mid-May. :)

Thank you! I was looking at that and the page says it needs my ISU card #. I was looking to join the vet med buy + sell page.
I don't remember the exact timeline of everything, so I could totally be wrong, but I think last year I wasn't able to get most of this stuff set up until at least mid-late May... so you might still be a little too early.

That said, I checked my old application portal from last cycle and my student ID does show up there under "University ID"---if yours appears on your portal, you might be able to try setting up your net-ID and, by extension CyMail, with that. If that doesn't work, then you may have to wait for OASA to get back to you with more info first (or you could email/call... just keep in mind that it's finals week!).

As for your actual physical ISU card, you most likely won't be able to receive that until closer to orientation unless you're already in Ames or are local (it will be made for you at Beardshear Hall and you pick it up there).