Iowa State University c/o 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falconette85

ISU-CVM class of 2024!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there all you pre-vets c/o 2021 applicants! Who's getting anxious for the application process this summer/fall?

Who has taken their GRE? That's on my to-do-list :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Someone is enthusiastic. lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha. Exactly what I was thinking. Like, it's not even VMCAS season yet! :p

Good luck to everyone who's looking to apply for the ISU CVM c/o 2021! :luck::xf:
Ketoone,

How do you get started with the VMCAS? When do you start? I'm a little confused on the process.

VMCAS opens on May 11th, 2016 for the next cycle! I don't think it's too early to get started though :)

Good luck, everyone!

Lol I thought maybe this was for deferrals

There's also a Penn 2021 thread too. And I thought 2020 was an enthusiastic class. Lol good luck everyone!

Ketoone,

How do you get started with the VMCAS? When do you start? I'm a little confused on the process.
Wow, 2021 threads already? LOL. VMCAS does open May 11, but it is never too early to start drafting your PS and deciding who is going to write your LOR. If you have any specific questions, you can post them here or pm me. Happy to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ketoone,

Like everyone else has already pointed out, VMCAS is opening on May 11th this year, so you can't exactly jump in quite yet. Something I would recommend doing, however, is getting things ready to input ahead of time -- it will save you lots of headache while actually applying. Get a good start on your personal statement and even start an Excel spreadsheet (if you haven't already) to organize all of your experiences along with the hours you participated, as well as important information such as address, supervisor names, and phone number/email, as you'll need them for VMCAS. Perhaps make sure that your eLORs are set in place, too. ISU's supplemental application, if I remember right, didn't actually open up for registration until a week or so after VMCAS opened, but someone can correct me on that. And I actually think that that was only because the new CAS IDs are shorter than the old ones were and so the supplemental system had to be updated.

Hopefully VMCAS has ironed out the kinks with the 3.0 platform so you guys won't experience some of the odd glitches that we did. That, and fixed PTE, which I personally didn't use but know was a massive point of concern for a lot of people.

If you have any more questions about the application process (can't answer too much about ISU itself yet, obviously!), feel free to either post them here or PM me! It brings a smile to my face to see y'all getting excited and enthusiastic already. :claps:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ketoone,

It's a little early, but my best advice is start the application as early as you can. I didn't think it was going to take nearly as long as it did. As other people have said too, start your personal statement early. I went through several drafts and edits of mine before I was happy with it.

Like everyone else has already pointed out, VMCAS is opening on May 11th this year, so you can't exactly jump in quite yet. Something I would recommend doing, however, is getting things ready to input ahead of time -- it will save you lots of headache while actually applying. Get a good start on your personal statement and even start an Excel spreadsheet (if you haven't already) to organize all of your experiences along with the hours you participated, as well as important information such as address, supervisor names, and phone number/email, as you'll need them for VMCAS. Perhaps make sure that your eLORs are set in place, too. ISU's supplemental application, if I remember right, didn't actually open up for registration until a week or so after VMCAS opened, but someone can correct me on that. And I actually think that that was only because the new CAS IDs are shorter than the old ones were and so the supplemental system had to be updated.
I really love Excel and the spreadsheet I made for VMCAS is slightly terrifying - it even has a built in GPA calculator and will make pie charts and spreadsheets of the distributions of your veterinary/animal/non-animal employment hours.

It's a little early, but my best advice is start the application as early as you can. I didn't think it was going to take nearly as long as it did. As other people have said too, start your personal statement early. I went through several drafts and edits of mine before I was happy with it.
I second this! The personal statement is the first thing I started on for my applications and it's the first thing I finished - because I worked on it for months before I even entered anything substantial into VMCAS. I went through approximately 4-5 drafts of it before I really got an essay that I liked, and that was after several "false starts" where I started an essay and stopped because I didn't like the direction I was taking it.

I really love Excel and the spreadsheet I made for VMCAS is slightly terrifying - it even has a built in GPA calculator and will make pie charts and spreadsheets of the distributions of your veterinary/animal/non-animal employment hours.

And I thought my array of google docs were type A! :eek: I'm seriously extremely jealous and impressed. You totally could sell this to the 2021 applicants... I betcha it's a helluva lot better than VMCAS's PTE service :p

And I thought my array of google docs were type A! :eek: I'm seriously extremely jealous and impressed. You totally could sell this to the 2021 applicants... I betcha it's a helluva lot better than VMCAS's PTE service :p
Haha, I just love Excel! My friends make fun of me for it all of the time - but you can bet when they want statistics run or graphs made, I'm the first person they come to! I mostly make crazy spreadsheets so I can procrastinate on other, more important real life things. :p

I was actually thinking about posting it somewhere on SDN for people, but I would have to clean it up a bit first so people can't break the spreadsheet by accident (I know what I'm doing so I never had to hide any pages/lock formulas). I've also been thinking about a few more features I want to add into it, but we'll see...

Haha, I just love Excel! My friends make fun of me for it all of the time - but you can bet when they want statistics run or graphs made, I'm the first person they come to! I mostly make crazy spreadsheets so I can procrastinate on other, more important real life things. :p

I was actually thinking about posting it somewhere on SDN for people, but I would have to clean it up a bit first so people can't break the spreadsheet by accident (I know what I'm doing so I never had to hide any pages/lock formulas). I've also been thinking about a few more features I want to add into it, but we'll see...
Oh, man, I learned so much about Excel during my research methods class in undergrad. It's absolutely crazy how much analysis can be done with that program if you know how. Granted, it's no Graphpad InStat or Prism, but it's surprisingly pretty powerful in the right hands.

Oh, man, I learned so much about Excel during my research methods class in undergrad. It's absolutely crazy how much analysis can be done with that program if you know how. Granted, it's no Graphpad InStat or Prism, but it's surprisingly pretty powerful in the right hands.
There are people who know how powerful Excel is, and then there are people who use it because it will let them put dark lines around the cells so they can make a sign up sheet. :D

You guys are so organized! I habitually don't open a VMCAS account until August or September, which almost burned me this past cycle cause for the 1st time in a decade the deadline wasn't October 1st.
I got this last one done in 2 weeks quite a feat ignoring what a cluster the program was. Then again I've had a lot of practice ;)

There are people who know how powerful Excel is, and then there are people who use it because it will let them put dark lines around the cells so they can make a sign up sheet. :D
Ah! I love that feature, too!

Seriously, between what you've said in this thread and in Pre-Vet Gamers, I feel like we'd be good friends IRL. :heckyeah:

Question for those who have done the VMCAS application:

I'm at the Experiences tab and I'm not sure what to put. I worked at SeaWorld for 3.5 years as an aquarist and SCUBA diver; do I put this down as animal experience or employment? Because I mean technically it's both but I'm not sure which one is 'favored' to the admissions board? I also volunteered at the Aquarium of the Pacific for 5 years, so would that be a volunteer position or additional animal experience?

Thanks for your input! :)

Question for those who have done the VMCAS application:

I'm at the Experiences tab and I'm not sure what to put. I worked at SeaWorld for 3.5 years as an aquarist and SCUBA diver; do I put this down as animal experience or employment? Because I mean technically it's both but I'm not sure which one is 'favored' to the admissions board? I also volunteered at the Aquarium of the Pacific for 5 years, so would that be a volunteer position or additional animal experience?

Thanks for your input! :)
I would consider that animal experience, if your work did involve working with the animals there at least part of the time. When you enter it into VMCAS, you will have the option to designate it as a paid experience.

My general rule of thumb is that employment experience is more along the lines of non-animal related work that you were compensated for.

Same thing with the aquarium work -- I'd put it under animal experience unless you did not work directly with the animals, in which case I'd list it as volunteer experience.

I would consider that animal experience, if your work did involve working with the animals there at least part of the time. When you enter it into VMCAS, you will have the option to designate it as a paid experience.

My general rule of thumb is that employment experience is more along the lines of non-animal related work that you were compensated for.

Same thing with the aquarium work -- I'd put it under animal experience unless you did not work directly with the animals, in which case I'd list it as volunteer experience.

I volunteered for a marine mammal rehabilitation facility back in 2005. I cannot for the life of me remember what month I started and ended. Can I put in an arbitrary month?

Also, the supervisor who trained me and watched over me is no longer there. Should I say that this facility should not be contacted?

I volunteered for a marine mammal rehabilitation facility back in 2005. I cannot for the life of me remember what month I started and ended. Can I put in an arbitrary month?

Also, the supervisor who trained me and watched over me is no longer there. Should I say that this facility should not be contacted?

Give your best guess. Obviously don't put January if it was summer. But you'll probably guess within a three month time period.

The facility may still have a file on you (for HR purposes). I would just leave it that the schools can contact the facility and they can try to look you up.

Hey everyone,

Another question for those of you who have done the VMCAS application; the portion of "Create Evaluation Request", what are you supposed to put in the personal message/notes section? Doesn't your recommendations already know that you are applying to vet school? What's the purpose of this section?

And due date? When is a good "due date"?

Thank you!

Hey everyone,

Another question for those of you who have done the VMCAS application; the portion of "Create Evaluation Request", what are you supposed to put in the personal message/notes section? Doesn't your recommendations already know that you are applying to vet school? What's the purpose of this section?

And due date? When is a good "due date"?

Thank you!

I just put a quick, "thanks again for your recommendation!" Nice to be courteous all around.

I'd give writers a months notice at the most, two weeks at the least. Maybe say the dealine is earlier than it really is so you don't cut close.

Applying OOS, first time applicant. I've never been to the school before - can anyone tell me what their favourite aspect of it is?

The cooperative atmosphere. Classmates are more helpful than competitive, and professors treat you like future colleagues.
I know it sounds cheesy, but you spend A LOT of time with your classmates.

The cooperative atmosphere. Classmates are more helpful than competitive, and professors treat you like future colleagues.
I know it sounds cheesy, but you spend A LOT of time with your classmates.
Are you IS? Iowa is pretty far up north, compared to where I'm living now. How's the weather like?

Are you IS? Iowa is pretty far up north, compared to where I'm living now. How's the weather like?
You will freeze your great butt off. A warm day in winter is when the temp gets above freezing. Buy your winter coat once you get to Iowa, don't bring one of those wimpy ones from the South. ;)

There will be snow. It's really not a big deal to drive in, except on blizzard days (if you have to take a highway), and those only happen once or twice a year. Classes are video recorded anyway, so you won't miss anything. And all your classes are in the same building, which is connected with the large and small animal hospitals, so you'll be toasty once you're in class.

Except in the summer, when the air conditioning is cranked up to arctic levels. If you're admitted and decide to attend, bring a sweater or fleece to orientation in August to wear indoors! Iowa summers outdoors are gorgeous.

So like North Face? We consider that heavy duty.
North Face makes a range of coat weights, so it depends on which one you get. Anything that you walk into the store to buy is likely to be too light. My brother went to school in Georgia, and he told me you just can't find anything heavy enough down there.

First time applicant. I have lived in AZ my whole life and I am worried about moving to the midwest(if I get accepted that is). What outdoorsy activities are there? I'll miss my mountains!

Are there any non-trads with old pre-reqs applying (or who have applied previously)? I tried searching SDN and couldn't find anything.

The FAQ says "Any required science course taken more than 8 years ago may be subject to review and the applicant may be asked for further information or to repeat the course." Some of mine are older than 8 years.

I'll contact ISU, but if anyone has first-hand experience with this I'd love to hear about it!

First time applicant. I have lived in AZ my whole life and I am worried about moving to the midwest(if I get accepted that is). What outdoorsy activities are there? I'll miss my mountains!
Ledges State Park is nearby; it's got decent-sized hills for hiking and streams to splash in during the summer. Popular place for students to walk dogs. There's also the High Trestle Trail for biking or hiking. Ada Haden is a park in Ames that has a pretty little trail around a lake. There are a lot more little parks and trails around the area, but I figure that's a good start. You won't find mountains in Iowa, obviously, but there's still a lot to do outdoors.

Are there any non-trads with old pre-reqs applying (or who have applied previously)? I tried searching SDN and couldn't find anything.

The FAQ says "Any required science course taken more than 8 years ago may be subject to review and the applicant may be asked for further information or to repeat the course." Some of mine are older than 8 years.

I'll contact ISU, but if anyone has first-hand experience with this I'd love to hear about it!
I'm not non-trad, but you should put together a list of your courses older than 8 years as well as descriptions of them and send them to ISU to ask if they'll take them. It'll be easier in the long run to know the school is good with your courses, they won't have to spend a ton of time reviewing them when they receive your application (since they'll be doing the legwork now), you won't have to worry about taking a ton of pre-reqs in ~a semester (since they likely wouldn't be able to tell you to retake something until after the fall semester has already begun), and if the school does take new issue with pre-reqs after applying you can point them to your communications with them where you were told your courses were okay.

I've had friends who did similar with course substitutions (for example, taking 3 credits of biochemistry + a cell biology class instead of 5 credits worth of biochemistry) and said that things went relatively smoothly for them. They did recommend contacting schools early, since schools get busier the further you get into the application cycle and may take some time to respond.

Bumping this thread for any newer members applying to ISU since this was hidden a good six pages back!

So nervous about having to click the submit button loo

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So nervous about having to click the submit button loo

You finished already? Wow go you, I'm so behind the eight ball. Does anyone know if they will look at your summer classes for last 45 GPA? I know on their website it says they don't so if they get them on a transcript are they going to throw them out? That would really suck.

I'm pretty close. Just going over descriptions and making sure awards are in order. I don't known when I'll be satisfied by my Ps. I'm still having people read it

Well good luck to you then! High school was so long ago for me I'm having a really hard time thinking of achievements... well now I feel old :bag:

Oh also another thing. I picked up another research experience like last week.. Should I wait to submit then add it so that it won't be out of order?

So I just submitted my app about a week ago and its still august and I checked the portal and it says I'm in committee review already (which i'm beyond stoked about). I'm OOS as well. Is this normal for it to be done so early? And does any body know how long it might take to hear back about when I make it past/dont make it past committee review?

You finished already? Wow go you, I'm so behind the eight ball. Does anyone know if they will look at your summer classes for last 45 GPA? I know on their website it says they don't so if they get them on a transcript are they going to throw them out? That would really suck.

My understanding from the admissions clinic held at UNL (Iowa State advisor present) the summer grades are not calculated as part of the GPA. I was stoked because that meant Organic Chem wouldn't bring my GPA down. Now that I took it, I wish it was going to show up since I am kind of light on the harder science classes and it didn't hurt the GPA that bad.