Iowa State C/O 2028

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally got through "In Academic Review"! I applied September 16th for reference so if they're going in order they may be almost done with this part! And now we wait.
I’m still in academic review and applied on the 14th!

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa does everything manually and this process is usually very long for them to go through and review all applications. Because they don't do interviews, they're normally working through the applications for most of the rest of this year, and then have to do updated GPAs when fall transcripts are sent in so they can get decisions out by mid feb. I wouldn't be too worried right now about your status not changing yet!! From past experience and also looking at past threads, there is literally no rhyme or reason to how they attack applications!

Reactions: 1 users
My portal has said "received" for my CASPer since last weekend and my results are not displayed yet. Did anyone else notice this taking a while?

Members don't see this ad :)
My portal has said "received" for my CASPer since last weekend and my results are not displayed yet. Did anyone else notice this taking a while?
If you’re talking about being displayed on the portal, it never changes from “received”— I took it in July and that’s what mine looks like

CASPer results do not get displayed on the online portal.

Reactions: 1 user
I finally got my GPA posted on the portal and the calculated science GPA appears to be lower than expected. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?

I finally got my GPA posted on the portal and the calculated science GPA appears to be lower than expected. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be worried?
I believe it's calculated from just the science prereqs and not all of your science classes, so maybe that's where the discrepancy is? I wouldn't be worried(unless it's really low) but if you think it was an error I would definitely think it's worth it to reach out to the admissions team! Human error is always a possibility

Does your GPA show up in the portal after the "In Academic Review" status goes away?

Does your GPA show up in the portal after the "In Academic Review" status goes away?
No my GPAs populated while I was still in academic review, then a month or so later I moved to just in review stage.

Should I be worried if my gpa hasn’t populated or since it’s all hand done just wait it out, getting nervous

Should I be worried if my gpa hasn’t populated or since it’s all hand done just wait it out, getting nervous
In the past there was people who didn't have their GPAs calculate until december, I wouldn't worry yet, Iowa literally makes almost no decisions before the new year (they will deny people who don't pass the GPA cut off though) that would be the only notification for a while.

In the past there was people who didn't have their GPAs calculate until december, I wouldn't worry yet, Iowa literally makes almost no decisions before the new year (they will deny people who don't pass the GPA cut off though) that would be the only notification for a while.
Awesome thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine hasn't populated yet either if that gives you any relief :). I did submit my application on the deadline though (Sept 18) so it makes sense

I just got moved to Academic Review!

Does anyone know which Vet schools require Fall transcripts before decisions like Iowa State?

Does anyone know which Vet schools require Fall transcripts before decisions like Iowa State?
I don't know specific schools, but there is a thread on here where people discussed it last fall.

Would you mind sharing your GPA and approximate hours? I'm trying to gauge my chances.
I had about a 3.8 overall (including a C on my transcript), around 1600 hours (small animal vet assistant primarily, dairy farm work, literally 2 weeks of equine and a semester of poultry). Also I applied OOS from New England!
A lot of my friends vary in their experiences and GPA though -- I feel like they do really focus on your essays, etc.
Happy to answer any questions y'all have :)

I had about a 3.8 overall (including a C on my transcript), around 1600 hours (small animal vet assistant primarily, dairy farm work, literally 2 weeks of equine and a semester of poultry). Also I applied OOS from New England!
A lot of my friends vary in their experiences and GPA though -- I feel like they do really focus on your essays, etc.
Happy to answer any questions y'all have :)
Do you have any classmates who had lower GPAs but heavy in experiences?

Has anyone had their GPA's posted to the portal this week? If so, would you also be willing to share when you submitted your application? :)

Also, based on last year's thread it looks like the prereq science GPA cut off was presumed to be 2.95. Does anyone know what it was in previous years?

Finally, does anyone know how much academics are weighed once applicants make it through the initial GPA min and then the amended cutoff? Thanks!

Has anyone had their GPA's posted to the portal this week? If so, would you also be willing to share when you submitted your application? :)

Also, based on last year's thread it looks like the prereq science GPA cut off was presumed to be 2.95. Does anyone know what it was in previous years?

Finally, does anyone know how much academics are weighed once applicants make it through the initial GPA min and then the amended cutoff? Thanks!
Mine got posted today and I submitted September 14th!

I want to say academics is 45%, experience is 45% and casper is 10%.

Thank you! Do we know if it's just our last 45 and required science GPA that is considered? Or do they look at all grades after we make the cutoffs? I can't find anything about this on their website. :/

Thank you! Do we know if it's just our last 45 and required science GPA that is considered? Or do they look at all grades after we make the cutoffs? I can't find anything about this on their website. :/
I think they just look at GPA for initial cutoffs and then the rest of your app afterwards (I know there are always some people who get phase 2 denied which apparently has to do with the rest of your app). I’ll be honest I had pretty crappy GPAs and made it on the waitlist 2 cycles ago!! I was really far away from ever getting called off, but to me at least Iowa does seem to value your experiences and what you’ve done!!

I assume they consider all of it but focus heavily on last 45 and science since that is what's calculated on our portals and that's what they post for their class stats each year. But we can only really speculate on that. From what I understand, they are one of the more holistic programs so if you're worried about your GPA hurting your chances I would try not to fret about it too much(I know easier said than done)

I think they just look at GPA for initial cutoffs and then the rest of your app afterwards (I know there are always some people who get phase 2 denied which apparently has to do with the rest of your app). I’ll be honest I had pretty crappy GPAs and made it on the waitlist 2 cycles ago!! I was really far away from ever getting called off, but to me at least Iowa does seem to value your experiences and what you’ve done!!
This is great to know! I am most worried about my cGPA and undergrad from several years ago. I am really hoping my great experiences, grad classes, required science and last 45 will be enough to show them I'm capable but I can't help but worry! Thank you for giving me low-gpa hope...Good luck to you-hopefully no waitlist this year, just an acceptance!

I assume they consider all of it but focus heavily on last 45 and science since that is what's calculated on our portals and that's what they post for their class stats each year. But we can only really speculate on that. From what I understand, they are one of the more holistic programs so if you're worried about your GPA hurting your chances I would try not to fret about it too much(I know easier said than done)
That is really what I'm hoping. You're right it's much easier said than done to not worry, but thanks so much for your input and best of luck to you this cycle!

This is great to know! I am most worried about my cGPA and undergrad from several years ago. I am really hoping my great experiences, grad classes, required science and last 45 will be enough to show them I'm capable but I can't help but worry! Thank you for giving me low-gpa hope...Good luck to you-hopefully no waitlist this year, just an acceptance!
I’m in the same boat, I’m getting my masters and hope that me having a way better gpa there than some of my much older undergrad grades helps finger crossed and good luck everyone! 🤞🏻🤞🏻

Reactions: 2 users
I’m in the same boat, I’m getting my masters and hope that me having a way better gpa there than some of my much older undergrad grades helps finger crossed and good luck everyone! 🤞🏻🤞🏻
Same here! I am very hopeful for us non-trads....we definitely have dedication in our corner!

Reactions: 2 users
Oh hey I’m also in the low undergrad GPA nontrad experience-heavy club! Rooting hard for all of us, hopefully our resilience and dedication shine through!!

Last edited:
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
May I ask; are all of your pre reqs completed? Mine says in review but still no GPA I have one pre req remaining. Are you in state?
I have 1 prereq I’m currently taking right now and my status says “in Review” but no GPA posted just a little thing that says I need to send them my updated transcript for this required class by 1/20

May I ask; are all of your pre reqs completed? Mine says in review but still no GPA I have one pre req remaining. Are you in state?
My gpas are posted, I’m OOS, 1 prereq pending!

Has anyone been able to contact the admissions office? I tried calling, emailing and using the portal with no luck.

My application says In Review but the GPAs have not been posted. I know that they do everything by hand but it seems like everyone has different things changed and not changed on their applications I just wish it was a bit more clear on how they do the process. :/

My application says In Review but the GPAs have not been posted. I know that they do everything by hand but it seems like everyone has different things changed and not changed on their applications I just wish it was a bit more clear on how they do the process. :/

They don’t release anything until mid February, accepted denied or waitlisted. Also remember ISU looks at your fall grades before making decisions as well. So there is a lot of time that their admissions team has to input data and info for apps. I don’t think they are being unclear at all, honestly they are probably one of the schools giving the most info on where your app stands in terms of processing them. Most schools don’t even have a portal.

They don’t release anything until mid February, accepted denied or waitlisted. Also remember ISU looks at your fall grades before making decisions as well. So there is a lot of time that their admissions team has to input data and info for apps. I don’t think they are being unclear at all, honestly they are probably one of the schools giving the most info on where your app stands in terms of processing them. Most schools don’t even have a portal.
I'm sure some other people are feeling this as well-I personally am a bit anxious about the adcom getting through all the calculated GPAs because it seems from past forums that they will then decide the true GPA cutoff and send out a wave of denials (seemed to be around this time last year) but then people who meet this new cutoff can have a bit of a sigh of relief (for now).

I'm sure some other people are feeling this as well-I personally am a bit anxious about the adcom getting through all the calculated GPAs because it seems from past forums that they will then decide the true GPA cutoff and send out a wave of denials (seemed to be around this time last year) but then people who meet this new cutoff can have a bit of a sigh of relief (for now).
Ah, I see. I took what the school said at face value, there would be a date we’d hear back and that was that. The lack of ambiguity there is helpful for me. But I can also see additional concern with this information.

What was the cut off last year?

All of my prerequisites are done, I just have a note that I need to send in my fall term transcript by January.
I am OOS and I sent in my VMCAS and supplemental on September 14.
Would you mind sharing what day you submitted your vmcas and your supplemental apps? :)