Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What if my wife is employed full-time, would I be eligible after a year?
I don't know if this will be their answer, as you have to talk to them, but when I applied there I asked if that would qualify me and they said no at that time.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I was just wondering if everyone is in committee review right now? like do you go into committee review regardless of whether you passed or failed the academic review?
Yeah. It seems like they will only update it on the 15th.

Hey guys! I was just wondering if everyone is in committee review right now? like do you go into committee review regardless of whether you passed or failed the academic review?

I think if you didn’t meet the basic requirements for the academic review you didn’t go to the committee review. I know I saw on Facebook some people were rejected early on. I do want to know how many people make it to committee review compared to the number of apps sumbitted

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you didn’t meet the basic requirements for the academic review you didn’t go to the committee review. I know I saw on Facebook some people were rejected early on. I do want to know how many people make it to committee review compared to the number of apps sumbitted
I was wondering about this too! I know last year there was 854 applicants, and they went through ~330 people to fill all the spots, but does that mean 854 people made it to the committee review or is that overall? it would be interesting to find out :)

Last edited:
So, if I am in committee review, it means that I definitely passed academic review?? I just ask because my academics were pretty bad, so I just need some clarification that I might actually have a chance if I've been in committee review for awhile lol

So, if I am in committee review, it means that I definitely passed academic review?? I just ask because my academics were pretty bad, so I just need some clarification that I might actually have a chance if I've been in committee review for awhile lol
Academic review, as far as I know, it's really just them checking your prerequisites as making sure you meet all of the basic requirements. Once you get past that you go to the committee review. The committee looks at your grades, GRE, essays, LOR's, experience, etc and decides if you'll be declined, waitlisted, or accepted

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Academic review, as far as I know, it's really just them checking your prerequisites as making sure you meet all of the basic requirements. Once you get past that you go to the committee review. The committee looks at your grades, GRE, essays, LOR's, experience, etc and decides if you'll be declined, waitlisted, or accepted

*and

This is what I got from the website, which is why I am a bit confused.

"
Academic Review - 50%
GPA (40%)
Includes required science course GPA and last 45 credit GPA. Both GPAs considered are weighted equally. When a course is repeated, the last grade achieved in the course will be used in calculating the GPA. Grades in graduate didactic coursework will be considered in the last 45 credit GPA. Summer coursework for the current application year is not included in the initial GPA calculations.

GRE (10%)
Both the old GRE and the new revised GRE will be accepted. There is no limit to the number of times the GRE may be taken and no minimum GRE score is required. The single test which gives the applicant the best score is used.

Admissions Committee Review (50%)
The Admissions Committee reviews the applicant’s essays, recommendations, extracurricular/community service activities, animal, veterinary, research, and work experience, personal development, diversity, and any special circumstances. Each of these items is considered and contributes to the overall impression of the applicant.

VMCAS Essays
VMCAS has eliminated the personal statement essay and has replaced it with three shorter essays concerning career goals, the impact of veterinarians on society and attributes of a successful veterinarian.

Recommendations
Three electronic letters of evaluation are required. Up to six electronic letters of evaluation will be accepted. All applicants are strongly encouraged to have more than the three required letters of recommendation in case one of their evaluators is unable to meet the evaluation deadline. Persons chosen to submit letters of recommendation should know the applicant well and be able to speak to their personal characteristics and attributes. Do not choose an evaluator solely on the basis of their job or position. It is preferred that the evaluators write comments (or a letter) in addition to completing the form letter of recommendation. Suggested evaluators are veterinarians, advisors, professors and employers although others are also acceptable. Evaluations should support the applicant’s experiences and should confirm their commitment, maturity, work ethic, leadership skills and communication skills with examples. Applicants are strongly encouraged to have a recommendation from at least one veterinarian. Evaluators cannot be related to the applicant by blood or marriage.

The Admissions committee may contact references directly if further information or clarification is needed.

Supplemental application essay
(This is now included with the VMCAS application)

Read the supplemental application essay carefully and make sure you address the question being asked. Do not repeat what you have stated in the VMCAS Essays or in the descriptions of your experiences.

Extracurricular/community activities
The Admissions Committee considers the leadership roles, depth of involvement and accomplishments in university clubs, community organizations and varsity athletics.

Veterinary/animal/research experience
Veterinary, animal and/or research experience may be voluntary or paid but must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian or PhD scientist if it is research experience.

The applicant is expected to have 200 hours of quality animal, veterinary and/or research experience from which the applicant should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the veterinary profession. The diversity, level of responsibility, and breadth of the experience is considered. Diverse experiences are encouraged. This could include experiences with companion animal, equine, production animal, research, or zoological veterinary medicine. The goal of veterinary experience is to give the applicant a good understanding of the breadth and depth of the veterinary profession. Partial credit may be given for less than 200 hours of experience. Pet ownership and educational coursework is not considered under experience.

Personal development
Personal development includes skills and activities outside of coursework and employment. Examples include study abroad, accomplishments and participation in community service organizations, level of accomplishments in organizations such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Pony Club, achievements in varsity athletics or organized sports clubs, fluency in more than one language, achievement in dance, theater, music, photography and similar hobbies.

Diversity
Factors that contribute to an applicant’s diversity and that are considered in the Admissions Committee evaluation include, but are not limited to, life experiences, work experiences, professional goals, geographical background (rural, urban or suburban), cultural background, disadvantaged status and other information presented in the application that may be considered as contributing to diversity. Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession and who would contribute to the overall diversity of the class.

Special circumstances
Special circumstances include factors which may have adversely affected the applicant’s academic record. These factors and how the applicant overcame them are considered."

This is what I got from the website, which is why I am a bit confused.

"
Academic Review - 50%
GPA (40%)
Includes required science course GPA and last 45 credit GPA. Both GPAs considered are weighted equally. When a course is repeated, the last grade achieved in the course will be used in calculating the GPA. Grades in graduate didactic coursework will be considered in the last 45 credit GPA. Summer coursework for the current application year is not included in the initial GPA calculations.

GRE (10%)
Both the old GRE and the new revised GRE will be accepted. There is no limit to the number of times the GRE may be taken and no minimum GRE score is required. The single test which gives the applicant the best score is used.

Admissions Committee Review (50%)
The Admissions Committee reviews the applicant’s essays, recommendations, extracurricular/community service activities, animal, veterinary, research, and work experience, personal development, diversity, and any special circumstances. Each of these items is considered and contributes to the overall impression of the applicant.

VMCAS Essays
VMCAS has eliminated the personal statement essay and has replaced it with three shorter essays concerning career goals, the impact of veterinarians on society and attributes of a successful veterinarian.

Recommendations
Three electronic letters of evaluation are required. Up to six electronic letters of evaluation will be accepted. All applicants are strongly encouraged to have more than the three required letters of recommendation in case one of their evaluators is unable to meet the evaluation deadline. Persons chosen to submit letters of recommendation should know the applicant well and be able to speak to their personal characteristics and attributes. Do not choose an evaluator solely on the basis of their job or position. It is preferred that the evaluators write comments (or a letter) in addition to completing the form letter of recommendation. Suggested evaluators are veterinarians, advisors, professors and employers although others are also acceptable. Evaluations should support the applicant’s experiences and should confirm their commitment, maturity, work ethic, leadership skills and communication skills with examples. Applicants are strongly encouraged to have a recommendation from at least one veterinarian. Evaluators cannot be related to the applicant by blood or marriage.

The Admissions committee may contact references directly if further information or clarification is needed.

Supplemental application essay
(This is now included with the VMCAS application)

Read the supplemental application essay carefully and make sure you address the question being asked. Do not repeat what you have stated in the VMCAS Essays or in the descriptions of your experiences.

Extracurricular/community activities
The Admissions Committee considers the leadership roles, depth of involvement and accomplishments in university clubs, community organizations and varsity athletics.

Veterinary/animal/research experience
Veterinary, animal and/or research experience may be voluntary or paid but must be completed under the supervision of a veterinarian or PhD scientist if it is research experience.

The applicant is expected to have 200 hours of quality animal, veterinary and/or research experience from which the applicant should be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the veterinary profession. The diversity, level of responsibility, and breadth of the experience is considered. Diverse experiences are encouraged. This could include experiences with companion animal, equine, production animal, research, or zoological veterinary medicine. The goal of veterinary experience is to give the applicant a good understanding of the breadth and depth of the veterinary profession. Partial credit may be given for less than 200 hours of experience. Pet ownership and educational coursework is not considered under experience.

Personal development
Personal development includes skills and activities outside of coursework and employment. Examples include study abroad, accomplishments and participation in community service organizations, level of accomplishments in organizations such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and Pony Club, achievements in varsity athletics or organized sports clubs, fluency in more than one language, achievement in dance, theater, music, photography and similar hobbies.

Diversity
Factors that contribute to an applicant’s diversity and that are considered in the Admissions Committee evaluation include, but are not limited to, life experiences, work experiences, professional goals, geographical background (rural, urban or suburban), cultural background, disadvantaged status and other information presented in the application that may be considered as contributing to diversity. Weight will be given to qualified applicants who possess characteristics that are underrepresented in the profession and who would contribute to the overall diversity of the class.

Special circumstances
Special circumstances include factors which may have adversely affected the applicant’s academic record. These factors and how the applicant overcame them are considered."
From that you can see that the academic review isn't something you pass or fail. It is weighed heavily but as long as you meet the minimum GPA you will go to committee review.

two more days guys! hopefully, they release decisions early on in the day on Thursday!

Reactions: 4 users
I think they have a student panel at 5:30 cst so I’d assume they’d have to have them out a good deal before then :)
Why do they schedule all of these on week days?? I've missed them all because my clinic doesn't close until 6:00 and I'm always there later than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do they schedule all of these on week days?? I've missed them all because my clinic doesn't close until 6:00 and I'm always there later than that.

RIGHT
I have to miss this too because I work until 7 est unless for some reason I get to leave early
They record all of their stuff and usually post it? Idk maybe they will do that.

Yeah but still if I had any questions to ask :shrug:
If you have questions I'm a current first year and I live with a second year and we can try to answer questions for you too!

Reactions: 2 users
RIGHT
I have to miss this too because I work until 7 est unless for some reason I get to leave early

Yeah but still if I had any questions to ask :shrug:
If you have questions for the student panel, I'm happy to ask them during the live webinar! Reply to the email we sent out about the webinar or just post them here. Then you can catch the recording on YouTube/Facebook on Friday.

I appreciate your feedback about the timing for the webinars! We can look at doing some of the upcoming ones on Weekends or later in the evening. Thanks!

@IowaStateCVM,

Will we know our portal status after midnight tonight? Such as, is the portal automatically updated or does someone go in and manually change our status?

Thank you in advance!

@IowaStateCVM,

Will we know our portal status after midnight tonight? Such as, is the portal automatically updated or does someone go in and manually change our status?

Thank you in advance!
The admissions staff has to manually enter statuses so it won't automatically update at 12:00am. Please don't stay up until midnight checking! :sleep:Get a good night's sleep and a good cup of coffee, then check your email.

Reactions: 6 users
So we WILL get an email letting us know when it is updated?

@IowaStateCVM,
Do you ever post stats on the number of applicants that apply each year, or the numbers of how many make it to committe review in each cycle? I’ve been curious how many people applied this year but I don’t remember seeing anything like this on your website.

@IowaStateCVM,
Do you ever post stats on the number of applicants that apply each year, or the numbers of how many make it to committe review in each cycle? I’ve been curious how many people applied this year but I don’t remember seeing anything like this on your website.
They did share the number that applied last year and the number of people they went through to fill all of their spots, just not how many made it to committee review. In the webinar they had posted, they shared last year there was 854 applicants and they went through 336 people to fill 130 spots. I linked the webinar below.

They did share the number that applied last year and the number of people they went through to fill all of their spots, just not how many made it to committee review. In the webinar they had posted, they shared last year there was 854 applicants and they went through 336 people to fill 130 spots. I linked the webinar below.

Sweet thank you!

When I got in, I obsessively checked my portal and my status was changed probably a good 3 hours at least before I got the email about my portal being updated. It was weird. May not be the same this year since I don't know how things have changed since I applied but good luck you guys!! Hold in there one more day!

The admissions staff has to manually enter statuses so it won't automatically update at 12:00am. Please don't stay up until midnight checking! :sleep:Get a good night's sleep and a good cup of coffee, then check your email.

If you are in committee review, does that mean that you "passed" the academic review? or are academics still looked at when you are in committee review?

If you are in committee review, does that mean that you "passed" the academic review? or are academics still looked at when you are in committee review?
I'm assuming yes you have passed the academic review. Several people were declined early on in the process.

I was placed on the alternate list, they said if I respond that I want to remain there, they will send me a ranked number after I accept alternate status. So that’s nice, I have friends on other alternate lists that are not ranked.

Just received an email about 10 minutes ago saying my portal was updated. I’m on the alternate list :(

OOS accepted! I most likely will decline for my IS school though.

Reactions: 5 users
Alternate list as well, not surprised though. Good luck everyone :)
Edit: I'm OOS haha

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
OOS acceptance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted OOS!!!!!

Reactions: 10 users
anyone know around what time they inform about alternate ranking?

I see it says ‘by April 3rd.’

I’m hoping we’re notified of that soon. The waiting game is intense!

Alternate OOS! A 30% chance is better than a rejection :)

I was placed on the alternate list, they said if I respond that I want to remain there, they will send me a ranked number after I accept alternate status. So that’s nice, I have friends on other alternate lists that are not ranked.
How and when will they send us our rank. I responded I wanted to stay on the alternate list.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile

Congrats to those who were accepted! To the alternates... don't lose hope! ISU historically absolutely burns through their alternate list, so you still have a very good chance of being called off and accepted.

Feel free to PM me any questions about the school or Ames, as well, if you'd like.

The emailed us so early in the morning! Totally caught me off guard. I nearly spat my coffee across the room like they do in cartoons!

Ugh I’m too nervous to check lol

Accepted IS. They went thru ~300 on the waitlist last year, so there is a good chance they'll go deep again this year also! Not sure when they'll give out ranks...

Alternate OOS! Bless them for sending it out so early

I caved and checked.. OOS alternate! I’m just happy it’s not a rejection

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted IS. They went thru ~300 on the waitlist last year, so there is a good chance they'll go deep again this year also! Not sure when they'll give out ranks...
It says by April 3rd.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using SDN mobile

OOS alternate. Dreaming all night long that I got rejected so this result is quite a relief for me.