Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's awfully quiet on this thread....

Has anybody heard from ISU? I'm still in committee review.

I will be attending the CVM Open House on Oct. 6! Who's all going to be there? :)

Members don't see this ad.

I will be attending the CVM Open House on Oct. 6! Who's all going to be there? :)
I haven't heard anything from them yet. My overall grade was updated though. I'm trying to find a date to go tour, was going to do the 6th but I forgot I agreed to do the birthing center at our state fair

Reactions: 1 user
I haven't heard anything from them yet. My overall grade was updated though. I'm trying to find a date to go tour, was going to do the 6th but I forgot I agreed to do the birthing center at our state fair

Not a bad excuse ;) baby animals make everything better lol

Glad to hear your overall GPA was updated (hopefully for the better?)

Members don't see this ad :)

Won't be attending open houses since I've been to ISU before, but might attend some of the webinars they're supposed to host. It'll probably stay pretty quiet on this thread considering they aren't doing interviews this year. Also VMCAS isn't even due until tomorrow. I would imagine they MIGHT (that's a big guess on my part) send out rejections for people who are just not going to cut it that don't meet a minimum requirement in October. As far as hearing about acceptances on the last webinar they weren't sure, but were expecting decisions to be released around Feb. 15 after they get everyone's Fall transcripts. You'll pry be in committee review for awhile considering committee members are also teaching classes and for everyone of us on here there are probably another 10 people with applications they submitted. Plus they have to go through all your experiences, awards, essays, and ELORs. That's a lot to review. Let us know how the open house goes though!

Since interviews are discontinued for this year, you will likely be in committee review until offered admission, denied or waitlisted. You've gone as far as you can for now! I'm not sure when they plan to make final decisions.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

I attended the open house on Oct 21. AMAAAAZING school.

They let us know that no status updates would be posted until February 15th within the portal where our supplemental application is (since there is no interviews).

They also said if you are weight-listed you will be given a rank at that time. Last year they went through over 300 students total to fill their ~150 spots (including the 25 not at ISU for the first 2 years). I met several students who were weight-listed and were offered in April and in Summer. You have roughly week to reply to these if it is after the April 15, 2018 deadline for original offers. I do know that there were some issues with VMCAS communicating to the portal, so if you send a message on the message board, they are very good at responding! That's exactly what happened to me and they reassured me I had everything.

Side note, I loved this school. I really hope I get in. We talked to students and some of them even turned down their IS acceptances elsewhere in the country. I thought that was amazing along with all of the other cool things I saw; just a side-note for anyone wondering just how awesome this school is :D

Reactions: 3 users
Hello!

I attended the open house on Oct 21. AMAAAAZING school.

They let us know that no status updates would be posted until February 15th within the portal where our supplemental application is (since there is no interviews).

They also said if you are weight-listed you will be given a rank at that time. Last year they went through over 300 students total to fill their ~150 spots (including the 25 not at ISU for the first 2 years). I met several students who were weight-listed and were offered in April and in Summer. You have roughly week to reply to these if it is after the April 15, 2018 deadline for original offers. I do know that there were some issues with VMCAS communicating to the portal, so if you send a message on the message board, they are very good at responding! That's exactly what happened to me and they reassured me I had everything.

Side note, I loved this school. I really hope I get in. We talked to students and some of them even turned down their IS acceptances elsewhere in the country. I thought that was amazing along with all of the other cool things I saw; just a side-note for anyone wondering just how awesome this school is :D
Hey, glad to see that you enjoyed your experience at open house! If you were here on the 21st, I actually might have seen you: were you in a group that came down to the surgery lab prep area/clinical foundations lab? I was one of the students neutering shelter cats. :)

Hey, glad to see that you enjoyed your experience at open house! If you were here on the 21st, I actually might have seen you: were you in a group that came down to the surgery lab prep area/clinical foundations lab? I was one of the students neutering shelter cats. :)
Yes I was there! It was so cool to see just how much hands on experience you guys can get early on at ISU. The number of clubs they described to us was astounding!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

I wasn't able to attend any of the open house dates unfortunately :( Hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances, but if love to hear more about the school from anyone who was able to go or currently attends :)

I wasn't able to attend any of the open house dates unfortunately :( Hopefully that doesn't hurt my chances, but if love to hear more about the school from anyone who was able to go or currently attends :)
I think it was designed more as a personal opportunity for you to get to know the school. Despite meeting some people on the admissions committee, it wasn't designed to 'weed' out people like an interview would. I don't think your chances of getting in at all will be affected by if you could or could not go to these applicant open houses.

When I did the webinars earlier before apps were due they specifically stated that part of getting rid of the interviews for now is to help us in travel costs so it really is just if you wanted to go etc.

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

I think they are doing some rejections, not sure of criteria though of if it was just lacking requirements, possible GPA cut offs, or what. Someone in one of the groups on Facebook posted they got rejected today.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think they are doing some rejections, not sure of criteria though of if it was just lacking requirements, possible GPA cut offs, or what. Someone in one of the groups on Facebook posted they got rejected today.
I wonder if that's based on completion of VMCAS or GPA like you said..
the assistant dean for academic and student affairs (Dr. Danielson) was who told us that deadline. But good to know declinations might be sent out earlier.

Do you mind me asking which group on FB? I would love to join if it's for future students.

I wonder if that's based on completion of VMCAS or GPA like you said..
the assistant dean for academic and student affairs (Dr. Danielson) was who told us that deadline. But good to know declinations might be sent out earlier.

Do you mind me asking which group on FB? I would love to join if it's for future students.

APVMA group, not so much for future students although it's alot like here where there are students on there helping prevets. I know most schools end up having a FB page for the school and class year. I know particularly CSU they (upperclassmen) make a new page every year and there are seniors on there and upperclassmen. They kind of help guide new people in where is good to live, somethings to expect, a time to collaborate, etc. There's also a VMCAS 2018 group, most of the people are from UC Davis, but it's another resource which I think is always good, because they are also applying to other places besides Davis (plus I'm on there and I don't live in CA).

APVMA group, not so much for future students although it's alot like here where there are students on there helping prevets. I know most schools end up having a FB page for the school and class year. I know particularly CSU they (upperclassmen) make a new page every year and there are seniors on there and upperclassmen. They kind of help guide new people in where is good to live, somethings to expect, a time to collaborate, etc. There's also a VMCAS 2018 group, most of the people are from UC Davis, but it's another resource which I think is always good, because they are also applying to other places besides Davis (plus I'm on there and I don't live in CA).
That's really cool! I will definitely check them out. and I follow the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine Future Students page and was wondering if I had missed something Thank you for all those resources.

FYI for any Nebraska students. There will definitely be interviews.
They had said even for the contract or IS students there wouldn't be interviews... Did they change that somewhere?

They had said even for the contract or IS students there wouldn't be interviews... Did they change that somewhere?

There will definitely be interviews for NE people. It's different though because it's for their 2+2 program that's only for NE residents. They spend 2 years at UNL then the last 2 at Iowa. They have a contract, but it's not contract in the sense you're saying (contract for what you're saying is like CT residents getting a contract price and going to Iowa all 4 years). Hope that helps. Also I didn't know about your said FB page....:thinking:

There will definitely be interviews for NE people. It's different though because it's for their 2+2 program that's only for NE residents. They spend 2 years at UNL then the last 2 at Iowa. They have a contract, but it's not contract in the sense you're saying (contract for what you're saying is like CT residents getting a contract price and going to Iowa all 4 years). Hope that helps. Also I didn't know about your said FB page....:thinking:
Huh maybe I just misheard at the open house. I'm from AZ so regardless no interview for me and yeah I was aware of the 2+2 which I thought was cool for them! Similar to WSUs WIMU program.

And yeah they had given us the link for the FB page at the open house I didn't know about it until then either

Just noticed that women under the 2021 class profile is listed as 1129 .. haha woahhhh

Are there class statistics anywhere that show how many people apply to Iowa veterinary school each year?

Are there class statistics anywhere that show how many people apply to Iowa veterinary school each year?
Unsure if there is an application stats site, but I can tell you that at the open house they said about 1100 people applied last year (both IS and OOS) and they went through 300+ people on their waiting list to fill their ~150 seats.

Unsure if there is an application stats site, but I can tell you that at the open house they said about 1100 people applied last year (both IS and OOS) and they went through 300+ people on their waiting list to fill their ~150 seats.

Thank you 10999KL!

Was anyone else's status applicant page updated under the materials received/needed to require grades from Spring of 2018? I check my status page religiously and that wasn't there yesterday..

Was anyone else's status applicant page updated under the materials received/needed to require grades from Spring of 2018? I check my status page religiously and that wasn't there yesterday..
Mine hasn't changed but I'm excited for you! That seems like a good sign?

So I don't check mine religiously because all messages have previously gotten to my email and they have repeatedly stated acceptances won't go out until Feb. I know one of my other schools has something similar for interviews to upload transcripts and they have yet to send out invites so I feel like everyone's will probably update to that or it was a fluke? Mine says it needs materials received by 2/1 (for my fall transcript) but I don't think that's what yours says...

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

Yeah I didn't receive any type of email. I just casually check the applicant status page daily because I hate waiting and its said for a while that Fall 2017 transcripts are due 2/1 but today it added "Due 7/1, S18 - Purdue University - no required courses (graduate)" <--I'm a graduate student at Purdue so all my pre-reqs are done. I don't want to over think this but... what does it mean!?! lol

Yeah I didn't receive any type of email. I just casually check the applicant status page daily because I hate waiting and its said for a while that Fall 2017 transcripts are due 2/1 but today it added "Due 7/1, S18 - Purdue University - no required courses (graduate)" <--I'm a graduate student at Purdue so all my pre-reqs are done. I don't want to over think this but... what does it mean!?! lol

It sounds like your transcript is due, but you aren't waiting on any specific courses to be completed before admission. Kathy told me at the open house I attended how there was a student who in a previous cycle was put on the alternate list and in summer was offered a spot and they had dropped the last pre-requisite they needed for vet school so they couldn't attend. So maybe it's like an accountability system, like if someone needed to finish a class before summer it would say there. (Probably why it's also due 7/1).

Also it's weird that mine didn't change... I am a current graduate student at University of Arizona... All my prerequisites are done too maybe I'll send them a message just to see... I was going to send in my transcript anyways but whatevs

It sounds like your transcript is due, but you aren't waiting on any specific courses to be completed before admission. Kathy told me at the open house I attended how there was a student who in a previous cycle was put on the alternate list and in summer was offered a spot and they had dropped the last pre-requisite they needed for vet school so they couldn't attend. So maybe it's like an accountability system, like if someone needed to finish a class before summer it would say there. (Probably why it's also due 7/1).

Also it's weird that mine didn't change... I am a current graduate student at University of Arizona... All my prerequisites are done too maybe I'll send them a message just to see... I was going to send in my transcript anyways but whatevs
I'm just curious as to why they would need my spring transcript unless this is the secret way of saying I've been accepted? Which it probably isn't but I'm hoping it is. Either way I'm going to think of it as good news... gonna be really salty if I get rejected now though. Can't play with my emotions like that bruh.

I'm just curious as to why they would need my spring transcript unless this is the secret way of saying I've been accepted? Which it probably isn't but I'm hoping it is. Either way I'm going to think of it as good news... gonna be really salty if I get rejected now though. Can't play with my emotions like that bruh.
Devil's advocate here, maybe they do it for everyone? The chances of someone not being in school in Spring if they are already enrolled in Fall seems slim?

Edit: like you wouldn't drop out before having an answer.

Especially if information comes out in Spring. Maybe they just want to see that you won't slack if you are offered..? Who knows. But I hope it means you're in that would be pretty evil if you were set up like that.

Is anyone else’s last 45 credit gpa reported to be lower than what they calculated themselves? ISU has my last 45 gpa to be at 3.68 on my applicant page but when I calculate it I keep getting 3.82. Do they calculate it a different way or could they have perhaps made a mistake?

Is anyone else’s last 45 credit gpa reported to be lower than what they calculated themselves? ISU has my last 45 gpa to be at 3.68 on my applicant page but when I calculate it I keep getting 3.82. Do they calculate it a different way or could they have perhaps made a mistake?
How're you calculating yours?

All my GPAs were calculated a bit lower than what I had calculated and what vmcas calculated when I applied last year. Not sure how they calculate theirs but it's a normal trend for them

Mine does. It was updated last month or so. But I’m supposed to take Speech in the Spring and that’s why they ask for it.

So I sent a message in the system and Mercedes responded with

"Thank you for checking. Yes, we need to get transcripts for any classes you are/will be taking so we can update your GPA. I marked no further course required for applicants that had fulfill all the required courses. We still will need grades for any ongoing courses so please, send us those as soon as they are available. The deadlines are February 1 for Summer and Fall 2017 courses, and July 1, for Spring 2018 courses."

That makes more sense

Ohhhh my gosh. I just read this thread, realized there was a portal I was forgetting about, and went back to check on it.

I have a message way back from September 5th asking "Before I send your application to the committee, can you please let me know if you will be expecting any more ELORs? I will not send your application forward until I know that we have ALL of your ELORs are not expecting any more."

Ahhhh :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::hungover::drowning::drowning::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:
well I'll just respond to that now...I guess......

Last edited:
Ohhhh my gosh. I just read this thread, realized there was a portal I was forgetting about, and went back to check on it.

I have a message way back from September 5th asking "Before I send your application to the committee, can you please let me know if you will be expecting any more ELORs? I will not send your application forward until I know that we have ALL of your ELORs are not expecting any more."

Ahhhh :playful::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken:
I responded about 3 weeks late and they weren't super happy about it

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

I responded about 3 weeks late and they weren't super happy about it

Good luck!

Yea I'm screwed. I applied to so many schools, I forgot which ones I had portals for that I had to check. I was just assuming that I would get an email notif like some other messaging portals.
Welp if I get rejected....I probably deserve it :bigtears:

Yea I'm screwed. I applied to so many schools, I forgot which ones I had portals for that I had to check. I was just assuming that I would get an email notif like some other messaging portals.
(I think you do get an email when you get a portal message)

I applied to 7 schools and I had checked that portal 2 days before the message was sent to me but I got distracted with work and whatnot and forgot to check it for a while

You miiiiigggghhhhttttt squeak by, they aren't holding interviews this year and they have a lot of applicants so they could still be reviewing applications.

Ahhhh :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken::hungover::drowning::drowning::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:
I applied to 7 schools and I had checked that portal 2 days before the message was sent to me but I got distracted with work and whatnot and forgot to check it for a while

You miiiiigggghhhhttttt squeak by, they aren't holding interviews this year and they have a lot of applicants so they could still be reviewing applications.

TBH tho they probably already sent it to the committee a while ago. The message was from before the application closed so they more than likely wanted to make sure that it was a completed application before starting to look at it.

(I think you do get an email when you get a portal message)
I just checked my email....not only did I get one email, not two, but I got THREE emails. They were all read. I have no idea what's going on.....maybe I responded and wiped it from my memory? But it would show on my portal that I'd responded right? :dead: Just bad business all round...I'll accept my fate.......

TBH tho they probably already sent it to the committee a while ago. The message was from before the application closed so they more than likely wanted to make sure that it was a completed application before starting to look at it.

If it helps, my application is listed as "under committee review" already.
Not sure if that means anything.
I still feel terrible about the whole business :dead: Thank you guys for responding to me though

Late to the game, but my portal also just updated this morning requesting transcripts up until Summer 2018 once my MS is complete. Think it’s just protocol. February seems so far away!!!!

I'm a little late to posting in here as well.. Last year they heard super early (December 16th and December 21), but that was with interviews. I'm hopeful to hear back sooner, but February 15th feels unbearably long!

How're you calculating yours?

Sorry for the late reply! Finals took over my life for a bit. But I take the number corresponding with my letter grade (e.g. A = 4), multiply that with the number of units that class is and divide that number by the total number of units for all the classes included. I have always calculated my GPAs that way and the science GPA as well as the cumulative on the supplemental app matches with what I calculated but for some reason it is only the last 45 that is off. I think I might just e-mail them inquiring how they calculate theirs just so I get a better understanding.

Sorry for the late reply! Finals took over my life for a bit. But I take the number corresponding with my letter grade (e.g. A = 4), multiply that with the number of units that class is and divide that number by the total number of units for all the classes included. I have always calculated my GPAs that way and the science GPA as well as the cumulative on the supplemental app matches with what I calculated but for some reason it is only the last 45 that is off. I think I might just e-mail them inquiring how they calculate theirs just so I get a better understanding.
And you're using 3.7 for A-, 3.3 for B+, etc, correct?
I'd definitely email them and ask if you're unsure what classes they're using in their calculation.