Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted676737

Hey, all. I've seen quite a few people post elsewhere about possibly applying to ISU for the c/o 2022, but a separate thread hadn't been started yet, so I figured I'd do the honors!

I'll be a second year vet student coming this fall, so I should be able to answer most questions about Ames, the school, and the application process. Feel free to either PM me or post them here!

Good luck. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Iowa State is on my list of schools as well! If I have any questions I'll be sure to ask

Excited about applying here!!! A friend of mine recently graduated from ISU and I've heard only wonderful things. I'm interested in their preventative medicine program too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there prospective vet students! :hello:I'm applying this fall too! I'm halfway done with my VMCAS application...still waiting on my letters of evaluation to come in but other than that, I'm ready to go!

I do have a question for the vet students:

I took the GRE earlier this month and my quantitative is 141 and my verbal is 144 (eeek...I know). However, my analytical writing is 4.6. I know the average is in the 150s but do you think ISU would still look at me even with these scores? I really don't want to take the test again...:yeahright:

I don't want to hurt my arm patting myself on the back; but, I do have impressive animal/work experience and I'm a non-traditional student with a cumulative GPA of 3.11.

What are your thoughts? :nailbiting:

Thank you!! :)

Thank you very much SandStorm! This definitely boosts my confidence :)

How do you calculate your last 45 credits? Should I turn to Microsoft Excel?

Well that certainly is handy! ;)

Thank you SandStorm!

Here's a question:

What do you put on your ISU application for "electives"? I chose non-prerequisite courses that I received an A in.

Is that sufficient?

EDIT

I met with my advisor today and he told me that any non-prerequisite courses can count as an "elective". So I chose wisely ;)

Last edited:
Hi! ISU CVM Admissions and Recruitment here. We'll be around as much as we can to answer questions as well.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you very much SandStorm! This definitely boosts my confidence :)

How do you calculate your last 45 credits? Should I turn to Microsoft Excel?

Thanks for your great questions! @SandstormDVM has been providing good information. As you calculate your last 45 GPA, please keep in mind we look at the entire semester in which the 45th credit falls. Typically that means the last 3 semesters but it could be more or less depending on how many credits you've taken per semester.

Here's a general question about the application process:

Why does the VMCAS need your official transcripts if it's already mandatory for you to enter them manually?

Here's a general question about the application process:

Why does the VMCAS need your official transcripts if it's already mandatory for you to enter them manually?
Manual is for them being able to manipulate your transcript in VMCAS I believe. I understand them needing your official transcripts vs manual entry because manual entry you could lie without having to submit an official transcript, but I find doing both redundant. I feel there has to be a better way than the way they currently have it. I feel there is some software (at least needs to be) where you could upload the official transcript in a digital format to play with it for calculating GPAs etc. However, that is not the case and I know we are not the only ones to be like why...

Last edited:
@MixedAnimals77-

Thanks for the reply! :)

I have a question about letters of recommendation:

Does the VMCAS send reminder emails to people who are supposed to write letters of recommendation? For example, I have 6 people who I asked if they wouldn't mind writing a letter of recommendation for me. They said they would be more than willing. However, only two have submitted a letter. The deadline is approaching and I'm getting anxious.

Should I send them a gentle reminder or does the VMCAS do that?

I would send them a reminder if you're really worried, but remember that the deadline is September 15th---there's still over a month left for them to get them in and you can submit and pay for VMCAS with letters pending if you need (or, at least, you could back in 2015).
Still can.
@Falconette85 my people appreciated me and wanted me to remind them constantly. Ex: I reminded my vet every time I saw him so 2-3 times a week. I think a friendly reminder is appropriate. I've just heard so many stories I didn't ever want that to happen to me. All my letters were in months before the actual deadline and my last letter was in a month before the due date I set.

Members don't see this ad :)
@SandstormDVM
@MixedAnimals77

Thank you both for your honest feedback. The veterinarians that I asked for a letter from tell me to "keep nudging" them. :p I just feel like a pest.
You may feel like one but you're not I promise. It'll save you so much headache later. My vet is normally SUPER bad about things like this but he was like remind me. So I was the biggest pest ever. Almost everytime I saw him I bugged him. He was the last to submit (some major personal emergencies happened for him) but he made it a priority because I would remind him otherwise he would totally forget if I didn't mention it. Go forth and pester :) you'll be glad you did. Good luck!

@MixedAnimals77-

Thanks for the reply! :)

I have a question about letters of recommendation:

Does the VMCAS send reminder emails to people who are supposed to write letters of recommendation? For example, I have 6 people who I asked if they wouldn't mind writing a letter of recommendation for me. They said they would be more than willing. However, only two have submitted a letter. The deadline is approaching and I'm getting anxious.

Should I send them a gentle reminder or does the VMCAS do that?
I sent gentle email reminders to mine, but I also told them it was due a month before it was actually due so I wouldn't be stressed if someone submitted theirs "late". All of my LOR's submitted by July 31st last year ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! ISU CVM Admissions and Recruitment here. We'll be around as much as we can to answer questions as well.

@IowaStateCVM,

I have 3 of the 6 letters of recommendation completed, and my ISU transcripts are on their way to the VMCAS. Otherwise, everything else (including the supplemental application) is completed!

Can I submit my VMCAS application once they receive my ISU transcripts, and with 3 of the 6 letters?

Thank you!

@IowaStateCVM,

I have 3 of the 6 letters of recommendation completed, and my ISU transcripts are on their way to the VMCAS. Otherwise, everything else (including the supplemental application) is completed!

Can I submit my VMCAS application once they receive my ISU transcripts, and with 3 of the 6 letters?

Thank you!

Once VMCAS has your transcripts, you can submit your application. Your LORs can be "requested" when you submit but must be completed by Sept. 15. Remember, we only require 3 LORs but our admissions committee will read up to 6.

Thanks!

Ah, okay. Strange that they're discontinuing them... I felt like interviews were an important part of the process and I honestly don't know that I would have been accepted without one. Anyway, I hadn't heard anything about eliminating them, but I also don't really keep up much with admissions/application stuff anymore. Thanks for the heads up.
Believe me I was shocked especially since I've heard raving reviews about their interviews and since there are more schools doing interviews than stopping them. They are replacing those dates with open houses for applicants specifically. Then they are trying to plan to do internet correspondences for people who cannot come.

@Elkhart
They just said they are doing this for this year to review their process. Perhaps change to MMI, change interview questions etc. So interviews may be back next year. They also said plan to update website around labor day.

Last edited:
@Elkhart @MixedAnimals77 It's true! Interviews are being suspended this year while we review our interview process. Instead of interviews we'll be inviting 2022 applicants to learn more about Iowa State through applicant-focused open houses, individual visits, and/or online offerings such as webinars, Skype calls, virtual tours, etc. We will let you know as soon as those dates become available. It's our hope that we can continue to provide a warm welcome to our future students even though you won't be interviewing while you visit.

@Elkhart @MixedAnimals77 It's true! Interviews are being suspended this year while we review our interview process. Instead of interviews we'll be inviting 2022 applicants to learn more about Iowa State through applicant-focused open houses, individual visits, and/or online offerings such as webinars, Skype calls, virtual tours, etc. We will let you know as soon as those dates become available. It's our hope that we can continue to provide a warm welcome to our future students even though you won't be interviewing while you visit.

@IowaStateCVM,

What will replace the 25% for the selection criteria?

@Falconette85
They are unsure yet as the committee still needs to meet and decide where that extra 25% will be distributed to which will happen at the end of this month. That will be the website update which they said to look for around Labor day.

Current students just received an email confirming the change. So, yes, looks like there will be no interviews for a time least the c/o 2022 cycle (the email says c/o 2021, but I'm assuming that that is a typo):

"Earlier this month, College of Veterinary Medicine faculty voted to discontinue interviews for the upcoming admissions cycle. More than 80% of the faculty voted in favor of the change. Faculty discussed a variety of advantages and disadvantages to admissions interviews. Ultimately, factors such as the cost burden interviews place on applicants, and concerns with measurement validity, led the majority to support the change.

In the place of interviews, a series of open houses, college visit days and on-line information sessions will be held for applicants of the Class of 2021. Additional information on these activities will be provided to them early in the fall semester.

The faculty will re-assess the interview process for the following year after the completion of the upcoming admissions cycle."

Current students just received an email confirming the change. So, yes, looks like there will be no interviews for a time least the c/o 2022 cycle (the email says c/o 2021, but I'm assuming that that is a typo):

"Earlier this month, College of Veterinary Medicine faculty voted to discontinue interviews for the upcoming admissions cycle. More than 80% of the faculty voted in favor of the change. Faculty discussed a variety of advantages and disadvantages to admissions interviews. Ultimately, factors such as the cost burden interviews place on applicants, and concerns with measurement validity, led the majority to support the change.

In the place of interviews, a series of open houses, college visit days and on-line information sessions will be held for applicants of the Class of 2021. Additional information on these activities will be provided to them early in the fall semester.

The faculty will re-assess the interview process for the following year after the completion of the upcoming admissions cycle."
Yeah they have something on their website saying that now (it might be the same message), just don't say what that percentage is being replaced with yet.

First Question: If I want to add my involvement in university clubs under experience, what do I put for "status"? It's not a full-time/part-time position per se.

Second Question: If I submit my application, and my evaluators do not get their letters in by Sept. 15, does that look bad to vet schools?

Thanks all! :)

First Question: If I want to add my involvement in university clubs under experience, what do I put for "status"? It's not a full-time/part-time position per se.

Second Question: If I submit my application, and my evaluators do not get their letters in by Sept. 15, does that look bad to vet schools?

Thanks all! :)
Yes, absolutely make sure you have at least three letters in by the deadline! If you don't it doesn't just "look bad", your application will be considered incomplete and your transcripts won't be verified, and schools may no longer consider your application. Kansas State, SGU and Midwestern allowed me to have my evaluator email them the letter, but they may not have been as sympathetic if it were just that he forgot to submit or didn't have it done in time. Mizzou and Illinois wouldn't accept the letter after the deadline. I didn't apply to Iowa State, so I don't know what their policy is. But like Elkhart said, if you've got at least 3 letters submitted, I don't think it matters if you requested an extra and they don't submit (unless you're applying to a school that requires more than 3 letters, or they were your only letter from a vet or something).

Ya'll....

I just applied to vet school. I think I'm going to throw up... :wideyed::wacky:

1st time applying here as a 3rd time applicant! Excited but nervous about no interviews, in the past that's been my stronger area :( Anyway, good luck to all hope to see you at an open house!

1st time applying here as a 3rd time applicant! Excited but nervous about no interviews, in the past that's been my stronger area :( Anyway, good luck to all hope to see you at an open house!

Hi Greeneyegal92!

Third time's a charm right? ;) Let's both get in this year and kick butt OK? :)

So I finished my application process about a month ago, but I did so without really asking a question that was weighing down on me a bit. Does Iowa State CVM take in Missouri applicants? My residency is in MO, and when I went to the class profiles for the last 5 years I noticed that the last time ISU CVM had a Missouri resident was in 2012, about 5 years ago. I'm nervous that being a MO resident makes me a less competitive applicant, does anybody know if this is true?

So I finished my application process about a month ago, but I did so without really asking a question that was weighing down on me a bit. Does Iowa State CVM take in Missouri applicants? My residency is in MO, and when I went to the class profiles for the last 5 years I noticed that the last time ISU CVM had a Missouri resident was in 2012, about 5 years ago. I'm nervous that being a MO resident makes me a less competitive applicant, does anybody know if this is true?
Hey I'm a first year at ISU and we actually have 2 Missouri students in my class so I wouldn't worry. I think they look for the best possible applicants regardless where you come from.

All....I submitted my application/VMCAS application two weeks ago and today I got an email from CVM:

"Application Status: In Academic Review".

omgomgomg

Good luck everybody!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
First time OOS applicant to IOWA and 2nd time applying overall. I am very excited and hope this is the year!

Keep in mind that matriculated stats are different than accepted ones :). I was a MO resident (and even a junior), and I got accepted to ISU, as did a few other MO residents I know. They just choose to go to Mizzou or other places at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Submitted on the 8th and now I'm just waiting to get verified and my supplemental to be processed.

Hey, so...if I'm in "committee review" does that mean I passed academic review?? :wideyed::shrug: such as, they are satisfied with my academic performance?

Last edited:
Hey, so...if I'm in "committee review" does that mean I passed academic review?? :wideyed::shrug: such as, they are satisfied with my academic performance?
I think the academic review popped up first on my application and that's where they check to see if you meet the minimum academic requirements and then they move you to committee review

Hey - Just curious when you submitted? My application status is still listed as "none".. womp. At least everything was received!

I think the academic review popped up first on my application and that's where they check to see if you meet the minimum academic requirements and then they move you to committee review

Thank you @14gsp93!

@ahallowell, I'm an in-state applicant and I applied on August 31.