invasive cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluelamin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i get that invasive cardio is diff from interventional so is it common for attendings right out of cardio fellowship (ie w/o doing interventional) to do angioplasties/stents?

Members don't see this ad.

Terminology is a little confusing.
At a very basic level:
non-invasive = echoes, stress test and TEE. Invasive = all of the above + left and right heart catherization
Interventional = all of the above + PCI
Structural = all of the above + tavr, Mitra clip, watchman and so forth

You cannot do stents without interventional training though a lot interventional guys learn structural procedures and can do them.

Reactions: 1 users
so i get that invasive cardio is diff from interventional so is it common for attendings right out of cardio fellowship (ie w/o doing interventional) to do angioplasties/stents?
As a general cardiologist you can do diagnostic LHCs but this is not common practice and is largely seen in smaller rural areas. They don't do angioplasties or stents as this requires interventional training. They only do diagnostic LHCs.

Members don't see this ad :)
At a very basic level:
non-invasive = echoes, stress test and TEE. Invasive = all of the above + left and right heart catherization

You cannot do stents without interventional training though a lot interventional guys learn structural procedures and can do them.
haha yea i def had it wrong. thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
At a very basic level:

Thank you for this answer had same doubt for long time

Reactions: 1 user