Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:thumbup: from U chicago today.

Members don't see this ad.

Stanford invite by email today

West Virginia by email today...will decline.

Still waitin' on UTSW...the only one left that I care about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idiopathic said:
Hey guys. Cancel those Boston and Yale interviews if you aint going. I can just feel my name coming up next ;)

OK, buster. You're on. I'll give you Yale. What do I get in return? :D

I don't think Stanford based it on location. I go to an unknown school in the middle of Georgia who started the Dean's letter with "our mission is to train physicians for rural Georgia". Thankfully Stanford invited me. I'm beginning to think there's no pattern in any of decisions (ie haven't heard from Wash U, Mayo Jax, BIDMC etc).

proman said:
I go to an unknown school in the middle of Georgia who started the Dean's letter with "our mission is to train physicians for rural Georgia".

I gotta say, that makes me realize that I really need to go take a look at my Dean's letter.

Thanks for the congrats Ear! And Congrats to you! We'll talk next week. :) ;)

Stanford Today...11/4.

Waddup EW!

Here goes:

Invites:
UF
Emory
Med College of Georgia - CANCELLED
BID
BU - CANCELLED
MGH
U Maryland
Penn State
Western Penn - CANCELLED
UPMC
Thomas Jefferson
U Penn
Baylor
UT Houston
UTMB
UTSW
UC Irvine

Rejections:
Baystate

Pending: :love:
UC Davis
UC San Diego
UCSF
Stanford
Harvard B&W
Hopkins

my consolidated list

Invites:
Rochester-may decline in the next week or so depending on response from crickets
Columbia
Penn
Hopkins
Mayo
Wash U St. Louis
NYU
Pitt

Rejection:
Stanford

CRICKETS!!:
BWH
Duke
MGH
Cornell
UCSF
BID
UTSW
UNC
MSSM

Members don't see this ad :)
Word, chica. It's cricket time.

Scheduled:
Columbia
Yale
NYU
Einstein
Temple
UConn
St Luke's-Roosevelt
St Vincent's

The big guillotine:
MGH
Stanford
U Chicago (wtf?)

Crickets:
Duke
Brigham
Cornell
MSSM
NW
Georgetown
GW

Not hearing from a program by now isn't the same as rejection, right? Right? Anyone? Bueller? :rolleyes:

JK...we'll all get what we want and live happily ever after, it's the waiting that sucks big time

oh, and i'd like to right now teach an anesthesia residency application yoga workshop:

Deep breath in, exhale and chant "Om"

Deep breath in, exhale and chant "90% get one of their top 3 ranks" x3

with duke, i think the administrator was on vacation all last week, so that may explain those crickets.

And it seems that cornell hasn't started sending out invites yet. I haven't seen anyone get an invite so far there.

lol yeah we all need some yoga right about now.

proman said:
I don't think Stanford based it on location. I go to an unknown school in the middle of Georgia who started the Dean's letter with "our mission is to train physicians for rural Georgia". Thankfully Stanford invited me. I'm beginning to think there's no pattern in any of decisions (ie haven't heard from Wash U, Mayo Jax, BIDMC etc).

i think in my case it was location preference that made the difference (and most likely in Iliana's case. . .at least the way she appeared to them). I only applied to 2 schools on the west coast. My entire track record is on the east. That said, if UCSF will be kind enough to grant me an interview, I will strongly consider moving west (not so sure i'd move for stanford, so perhaps they figured that)

I think about five people posted Cornell invites on November 2 ... I wasn't one of them. :(

chicamedica said:
with duke, i think the administrator was on vacation all last week, so that may explain those crickets.

And it seems that cornell hasn't started sending out invites yet. I haven't seen anyone get an invite so far there.

lol yeah we all need some yoga right about now.

bullard said:
I think about five people posted Cornell invites on November 2 ... I wasn't one of them. :(

Oh oops, my bad. . .i musta missed it. Been very busy of late.

i totally agree... seriously, i can't believe this is all going to be over in a couple of months :eek:

sp317 said:
oh, and i'd like to right now teach an anesthesia residency application yoga workshop:

Deep breath in, exhale and chant "90% get one of their top 3 ranks" x3

Anyone else hear from Univ Minn? Anyone got the scuttlebut on this program? There's nothing in scutwork, and the damn search function is still down...

And what's up with "planning to interview invited applicants on Saturday, December 10,2005. Only under extenuating circumstances will interviews be arranged for other dates"? Damn inconvient I tell ya.

Dre, congrats on VMMC.

My November schedule

UTSW-Parkland on 11/7
WashU on 11/14
UAB on 11/22

Anyone with plans to be there, just search out the stunningly handsome bald guy with the incredible personality...ill be sitting next to him :D

Idiopathic said:
My November schedule

UTSW-Parkland on 11/7
WashU on 11/14
UAB on 11/22

Anyone with plans to be there, just search out the stunningly handsome bald guy with the incredible personality...ill be sitting next to him :D

Yo idio
How bald r u. Halo/crew/#1/wet shave? The reason I ask is that I'm a daily wet-shaver, and am wondering if you've had any (-) comments about it during interviews.
btw, I remember a talk a while back about bouffant vs cap... bald dudes w/a bouffant look like a transparent scrotum. OR cap all the way. :)

Daily wet-shave c Mach 3 and Edge Gel. No comments from anyone yet.

Nothing looks sillier than a bald man in a bouffant cap.

Idiopathic said:

do you even need ANY cap if you're bald? There wont be any hair to contaminate the field. . .

I definitely dont need one...I have more exposed arm hair than scalp hair, but everyone is so indoctrinated with the "must...have...cap" philosophy that I get yelled at even if i only look at the OR without a cap on.

ear-ache said:
Anyone else hear from Univ Minn? Anyone got the scuttlebut on this program? There's nothing in scutwork, and the damn search function is still down...

And what's up with "planning to interview invited applicants on Saturday, December 10,2005. Only under extenuating circumstances will interviews be arranged for other dates"? Damn inconvient I tell ya.

Absolutely inconvenient, I say. Not quite sure what the motive in being so inflexible is--other than it probably selects for applicants who REALLY want to go there (and would thus bend over backwards to get there on that one day).

Thx patau13!

Good luck all. I feel like it is going to be over so quickly now.

Stanford 11/4

Told you you'd get it Matt-O!

Stanford said "No thank you" last night, 11/4.

still waiting to hear from... 28 programs.

i know what you're thinking, and yes, i spent a lot of money applying to a buttload of programs.

i'm letting fate sort this out for me.

DrDre' said:
Thx patau13!

Good luck all. I feel like it is going to be over so quickly now.

Yep, T-minus 6 days till my first interview...the butterflies are already there.
;) The next 2 months will be nothing but a blur!

Trisomy13 said:
Stanford said "No thank you" last night, 11/4.

still waiting to hear from... 28 programs.

i know what you're thinking, and yes, i spent a lot of money applying to a buttload of programs.

i'm letting fate sort this out for me.

Welcome to our cricket club trisomy!! :D

(same here, about fate--cause you never know in advance which progs will like you and who wont)

Idiopathic said:

Ditto, except I use the mach 3 gel-nonscented.

Cool about no comments... finally getting widespread acceptance.

Seen n Agree c cap comment.

Also, one of the later posts asks why we even need to wear 'em... I have no friggin idea. I've had those pesky board runners/scrub nurses yell at me on 2 occasions for not wearing one in the surgery hallways when I was just popping in to look at the board. Oh well, if it shuts those annoying rags up, I'll wear a wear a cup n jockstrap on top of my scrubs. :D

lvspro said:
Ditto, except I use the mach 3 gel-nonscented.

Cool about no comments... finally getting widespread acceptance.

Seen n Agree c cap comment.

Also, one of the later posts asks why we even need to wear 'em... I have no friggin idea. I've had those pesky board runners/scrub nurses yell at me on 2 occasions for not wearing one in the surgery hallways when I was just popping in to look at the board. Oh well, if it shuts those annoying rags up, I'll wear a wear a cup n jockstrap on top of my scrubs. :D

:laugh: :laugh:

Hey gang, here is my near-final interview invite list (west-to-east);

Virginia Mason
OHSU
UCSF
Stanford
Univ of Utah (will probably cancel)
Univ of Colorado (will probably cancel)
Univ of Iowa
Univ of Missouri
WashU
SLU
Mayo - Rochester
Univ of Minn
Univ of Wisc
UVA
MGH (will probably cancel)
BID (will probably cancel)
B&W (will probably cancel)
Johns Hopkins
UNC
Duke
Wake Forest

Last one I hope to hear from is Univ of Washington.

Anyone going to be at WashU this Monday?

If you've gotten Stanford, UnivWash, UCSF, BWH, or Duke interviews plz post or PM thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whats up, just trying to figure out what all the silence is about from these schools with me????

if youve got invites at one or more would you plz post with some stats or if you dont want the publicity just shoot me a PM if possible I would really appreciate the waiting is nerve racking------ sorry for double post just anxiety getting to me

Thanks Emmett. Keep on rockin' in the free world bro.

Hey Ear,
When did u get UCSF? I didnt see u post that.

Why r u going on so many interviews? Curiosity? You are obviously a VERY competitive applicant.

Good luck on Monday AND Friday!

No O2,

I love SY but I don't listen to them a ton. Reminds me of long ago.

I have not been productive but I have started reading novels for pleasure.

I am loving 4th yr. If only, the Match was over...

here's my updated list (nearlyfinal)

Interviews:
UCSF
UCLA
Virginia Mason
Arizona (will cancel)
Colorado
Minnesota
Mayo Rochester
Iowa
Wisconsin
Kansas (cancelled)
Michigan
Northwestern (cancelled)
Vermont (cancelled)
Cornell (will cancel)
Wake Forest
Virginia

Waiting on:
Washington
UCSD (won't go)
UNC (may go if the dates work)
OHSU (won't go)

No rejections yet, but...

B-Bone said:
here's my updated list (nearlyfinal)

Interviews:
UCSF
UCLA
Virginia Mason
Arizona (will cancel)
Colorado
Minnesota
Mayo Rochester
Iowa
Wisconsin
Kansas (cancelled)
Michigan
Northwestern (cancelled)
Vermont (cancelled)
Cornell (will cancel)
Wake Forest
Virginia

Waiting on:
Washington
UCSD (won't go)
UNC (may go if the dates work)
OHSU (won't go)

No rejections yet, but...

UCLA AND UCSF?? Nice work - congrats!

I got the Stanford reject yesterday. :(

For those of you who are going to U of Washington, please post a review of your interview day. I loved the city, but I still didn't get a good feel for the program last year, and I am wondering if they have been working out some of their "issues".

Blocks-
You are at Stanford?
No comment from u on CA thread...

Want to elaborate on UW?

DrDre' said:
Hey Ear,
When did u get UCSF? I didnt see u post that.

Why r u going on so many interviews? Curiosity? You are obviously a VERY competitive applicant.

Good luck on Monday AND Friday!

Thanks Dre! There are LOTS of competitive applicants on this board - including yourself! I need the luck since my interviewing skills are weak... I tend to get nervous and tongue tied! :eek:

I got the invite from UCSF on 10/20, and I plan on going to all of these interviews (with the probable exception of the Boston's, Utah, and Colorado) just because that is my nature, I want to examine all the possibilities to try to find the perfect fit.

Still anxiously awaiting some word form UW....

ear-ache said:
Thanks Dre! There are LOTS of competitive applicants on this board - including yourself! I need the luck since my interviewing skills are weak... I tend to get nervous and tongue tied! :eek:

I got the invite from UCSF on 10/20, and I plan on going to all of these interviews (with the probable exception of the Boston's, Utah, and Colorado) just because that is my nature, I want to examine all the possibilities to try to find the perfect fit.

Still anxiously awaiting some word form UW....

Are you a student at UCSF or do an away there?

chicamedica said:
Are you a student at UCSF or do an away there?
Neither... I'm from Missouri... I was just fortunate/lucky to have gotten the invite.

ear-ache said:
Neither... I'm from Missouri... I was just fortunate/lucky to have gotten the invite.

Congrats! :) I was just curious b/c i'd heard they only start sending out invites after dean's letters were out. Apparently it's not the case.

chicamedica said:
Congrats! :) I was just curious b/c i'd heard they only start sending out invites after dean's letters were out. Apparently it's not the case.

Thanks chicamedica! I was surprised myself.

First post, hitting the trail on Tuesday. This is what I've got down, in chronological order. Wish me luck! :luck:
Florida- Gainesville
Emory
Chicago
UNC
Duke
Mayo-JAX
Case Western Metrohealth
UAB
Vandy
Tennesse-Knox
Penn
UVA