Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it rude to contact a program about an interview invitation (that they may or may not be going to offer you) if you have an interview scheduled at another institution in the same area?

For example, after receiving an invite from CCF, I emailed Case Western and asked if they had plans on interviewing me and, if so, could I come on this date. Case was more than accomodating to my request. :oops: I'm not sure if everyone will be so receptive to that level of aggressiveness, but it's much easier on my wallet to get all the interviews in an area scheduled together.

Any comments/suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

bigwillmd said:
Is it rude to contact a program about an interview invitation (that they may or may not be going to offer you) if you have an interview scheduled at another institution in the same area?

For example, after receiving an invite from CCF, I emailed Case Western and asked if they had plans on interviewing me and, if so, could I come on this date. Case was more than accomodating to my request. :oops: I'm not sure if everyone will be so receptive to that level of aggressiveness, but it's much easier on my wallet to get all the interviews in an area scheduled together.

I personally would wait untill after Nov 1st (Dean's Letter) when your application is truely complete - then start callin'!

bigwillmd said:

I've done it for TY programs..don't think I would for anesthesiology...at least for a while.

Members don't see this ad :)
bigwillmd said:

I would do this...just because other programs have told me that it isnt a problem if you call and ask if it is possible/likely that you will get an interview and when you are coming. Usually they will go out of their way to help you out.

toughlife said:
Thanks and hopefully yours will come soon too!

already got one, maybe i'll see you there!

Waiting impatiently for some others though:
Duke
UTSW
Cornell
BWH
MGH
UNC
UCSF
Stanford
MSSM
BID

Maybe now that my anesthesia letter is FINALLY in (as of 2 days ago) I'll be seeing SOME movement. I've been stalled since 2nd week of Oct.

I actually wound up declining U Penn a couple of weeks ago, so hopefully that interview spot can open up to anyone who is still waiting to hear from them.

As previously mentioned, it seems like my future fellow anesthesiologists are bunch of cool cats. Our interview posts are setting some records and putting others to shame. Thanks everybody for keeping this thread informative without degenerating into useless BS. I will end my lurker status and list the interviews I have so far.

Columbia
Penn
St. Vincent's
St. Luke's
UCI
USC
Loma Linda
Harbor-UCLA
NYU
NYMC

-Hoping to hear from
UCSF
Stanford
MSSM
Cornell
UCLA
MGH

also have 5 TY and 5 Prelim interviews. Hopefully all of us will get the interviews we want once the dean's letters are downloaded by the programs. Good luck everybody!

My updated and logistically daunting interview list:

UAB
Drexel
Cleveland Clinic
NYU
WestPenn
Mercy Pittsburgh
Penn State
Yale
CWRU-UHHS
CWRU-MH
UMDNJ-RWJ
Wake Forest

and TY:
UPMC
UPMC-Shadyside
Mercy Pittsburgh
WestPenn

and prelimIM:
Allegheny General
Penn State

and whatever hits the fan next week after the dean's letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for posting your interview offers. Here is my list so far:

OHSU
Iowa
UCLA
U New Mexico
UCSF
UC Davis
Loma Linda
UC Irvine
U Arizona

I'm still waiting on: University of Washington, Virginia Mason, Colorado, Stanford, UC San Diego, and Utah. Has anyone heard from the Seattle programs yet?

moonlight2000 said:
As previously mentioned, it seems like my future fellow anesthesiologists are bunch of cool cats. Our interview posts are setting some records and putting others to shame. Thanks everybody for keeping this thread informative without degenerating into useless BS. I will end my lurker status and list the interviews I have so far.

Columbia
Penn
St. Vincent's
St. Luke's
UCI
USC
Loma Linda
Harbor-UCLA
NYU
NYMC

-Hoping to hear from
UCSF
Stanford
MSSM
Cornell
UCLA
MGH

also have 5 TY and 5 Prelim interviews. Hopefully all of us will get the interviews we want once the dean's letters are downloaded by the programs. Good luck everybody!

Good to have ya aboard moon

Haven't posted mine in a while. Have done some weeding out.
Gas
Colorado
Oklahoma
Emory
Florida
U of Rochester
UT-San Antonio
UTMB
Baylor
Scott & White
Texas Tech
Dartmouth
UNC
UVA
Mayo-Rochester
Michigan
Penn State
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Virginia Mason
New Mexico--CANCEL
Pitt--CANCEL
Baystate--CANCEL
Med. College of GA--CANCEL
Cleveland Clinic--CANCEL
VCU/MCV--CANCEL
Maine Medical Center--CANCEL
Arkansas--CANCEL

Hoping to hear from: UTSW

TY/Prelims:

Good Samaritan, Phoenix--CANCEL
Akron General Med Ctr, Ohio--CANCEL
Presbyterian Dallas (prelim med)
Methodist, Houston
Atlantic Health System, NJ--CANCEL
Birmingham Baptist, Alabama
Lehigh Valley/Penn State
University of Tennessee-Chatanooga

Hoping to hear from more after november 1st. So far, here's what I have:

Columbia
Yale
NYU
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Albert Einstein
St. vincents
St. Luke-Roosevelt
U Conn
StonyBrook
Downstate (canceled)
UMDNJ Newark

Hoping to hear from: Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, Cornell, U Penn, Brigham & Women

TY/Prelim:
Mount Sinai
North Shore
LIJ
Winthrop
Greenwich
Flushing
NY Hospital Queens
St. Vincent's
St. Luke-Roosevelt
Stony Brook
Staten Island
Morristown Memorial
Englewood (canceled)

Hoping to hear from: St. Barnabus, UMDNJ RWJ

anyone wanta trade interviews...IE diureese them before nov 1st...PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE :D

Really though, I have interviews at almost every NY school and am willing to let them ALL go if people would let go of some of their midwest/Illinois interviews. Some of us REAAAAAAAAAAAALY need to go back there because of family reasons and would really appreciate it.

True, I wasnt goign to 'sit' on the NY and east coast schools, and was going to let them go before Nov 1st, but it would be great if others did the same for midwest/chicago places.

Thanks! :luck: :luck:

Those of you who want but have yet to get an invite to interview at UTSW can PM me with your info and I might be able to push things through for you.

UTSouthwestern said:
Those of you who want but have yet to get an invite to interview at UTSW can PM me with your info and I might be able to push things through for you.

are they still giving out interviews?

U Vermont, by email, today 10/31

Happy Halloween!

Temple-email

Wash U today (halloween)
So far: Miami, SLU (will cancel), Wash U, UMKC, KU, Louisville(will cancel), Nebraska, UT-MB, MUSC
Rejection: Iowa
Waiting:Virginia Mason, Washington, Florida, UTSW, Baylor, San Antonio, Mayo-Jax, JHU, Oregon, UNM

toughlife said:
Nice! :thumbup: When are you scheduled to go? I am going on Jan 5th.

haven't called to schedule yet. Not gonna be there 1/5 though unfortunately cause i'm taking step 2 CS

damn it, i was waitlisted at Jefferson. I heard it's right next to chinatown in philadelphia. I like chinese food. I would have ranked it really high b/c of that. Oh well. :)

VMMC by email too

Duke by email

You guys just depressed me big time. the only interview i care about is VMMC and no love. All my insecurities are welling up!

DrDre' said:
You guys just depressed me big time. the only interview i care about is VMMC and no love. All my insecurities are welling up!

Seriously? The only interview you care about? I think that the name has gone to your head.

Is VMMC really that good?

I care about multiple interviews that I already have. VM and UW are the only ones that I haven't received that I am hot for. The remainder I am going to cancel.

VM is a good prog if it is for you. There are + and - to all progs, VM inc.

Too small for some, too much regional for others, seattle is expensive, etc.

Didn't mean to suggest they were the be all and end all for me or anybody else. For all I know, I may not really groove on them if I have the opportunity to find out!

If it makes you feel any better, I talked to Joe Neal and they just started evaluating files yesterday.

By region:
NE: Columbia, JHU, Maryland, MGH, Penn, Yale, SUNY-Up, SUNY-Buff, Albany
Atlantic Coast/SE: Duke, Wake, UNC, Florida, Mayo-Jax, Miami, UAB, USC, UTenn, Vandy, UVirginia, Virginia Comm.
SW: UTSW, UTSA, Arizona, UNM

I am going to every single one of these interviews. I will also research these programs THOROUGHLY, and be extremely prepared. I will arrive at the interview earlier than each of you...yeah right

Pick 1

jc237 said:
damn it, i was waitlisted at Jefferson. I heard it's right next to chinatown in philadelphia. I like chinese food. I would have ranked it really high b/c of that. Oh well. :)

JC...I cancelled jeff about an hour ago

Mayo-Jax today. I am about 50/50 on going to this. Will give myself 24 hours to decide. They only take 4 residents? What does that say about case load, trauma, etc.

UCSF rejection. Im sure they really needed to wait until MSPE came out to make that decision.

MGH today via e-mail.

is there some way i can show my list to U Pitt and say hey all these other good places invited me, what gives? oh well. looks like i'll be packing up and moving AGAIN. :p

cornell 11/2

BID via email
Cornell via email
Boston Med Center/BU via email

all today 11/2! :) :)

Cornell today as well. Congrats to all you guys!

Now only waiting on Sinai and then all 3 of my New York programs will have responded. :)

Well, of course Cornell pisses me off today. Wasnt expecting BID/MGH/B&W to come through, but to hear crickets from Cornell just makes me mad.

Still only UCSF and Columbia as outright rejections

Interviews offered
SLU (cancelled)
OU
UTSW
UAB
UF
Vandy
Mayo-Jax
JHU
Rush
UVA
WashU
Wake

Waiting on
Northwestern
Cornell
MGH
Duke
Yale

Will cancel (if asked)
Emory
Arizona
Colorado
Scott & White
Dartmouth
BID
Penn
B&W
Stanford

Im really having trouble rationalizing all this. The whole process is very disillusioning.

dont worry i haven't heard from cornell yet either. I think they first sent out to all the top grades/scores people, since they're just starting the invites. So i dont think the crickets mean we're rejected yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.