Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiopathic said:
Will cancel (if asked)
Emory
Arizona
Colorado
Scott & White
Dartmouth
BID
Penn
B&W
Stanford

Im really having trouble rationalizing all this. The whole process is very disillusioning.

Any particular reason you're frowning on Emory? or is it just a location issue?

My updated list:
Penn State
GWU
Cornell
Columbia
UPenn
Georgetown
Case
CCF
Vandy
Baylor

Rejected by Wake :mad:

Still waiting on:
UTSW
UTSA (turn down)
UTHouston(turn down)
UVA
UNC
Duke
Emory (I love ATL)
UAB
Mayo-Jax (turn down)
Sinai
Northwestern (turn down)
UCSF
MGH
B&W
LSU-S (turn down)
Hopkins

Damn! I applied to alot of programs...hard to decide which interviews to pass on. Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Emory was never gonna be real high on my list. I can find the same things in Dallas, IMHO, and I would rather be there. Once I got the interviews I have, I decided that I would cancel most of the others, if I got them.

Updated list! As you can see, I applied to waaaaaaaaaay too many -- submitted applicatin Sept 6, sat around with no invites for a week, got nervous and added 10 more (oops). My plans are to interview at 15 residency programs and rank 10. Bolds are invites.

Residency
Stanford - haven't heard yet
Irvine - DECLINED
UCSD - haven't heard yet
UConn
Yale
Baystate
Beth Israel Deaconess
Boston University Medical Center

Harvard/Brigham and Women's - haven't heard yet
Massachusetts General Hospital
St Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston

Tufts-New England Medical Center - haven't heard yet
University of Massachusetts
Johns Hopkins - haven't heard yet
Duke
University of North Carolina - haven't heard yet
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Mount Sinai - haven't heard yet
St Vincent's - DECLINED
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
St Luke's-Roosevelt

Drexel - haven't heard yet
Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University Program
Univ of Pittsburgh
- DECLINED
University of Pennsylvania Program, Philadelphia, PA

Prelim
Beth Israel Deaconess - haven't heard yet
Boston University - haven't heard yet
Brigham and Women's - haven't heard yet
Caritas Carney Hospital Program, Dorchester, MA
Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Boston, MA
Lahey Clinic Medical Center Program, Burlington, MA
Massachusetts General Hospital Program, Boston, MA
Mount Auburn Hospital Program, Cambridge, MA - haven't heard yet
Drexel University College of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University Program, Philadelphia, PA
Boston University (Roger Williams) Program, Providence, RI
Brown University Program, Providence, RI

Members don't see this ad :)
IlianaSedai said:
Updated list! As you can see, I applied to waaaaaaaaaay too many -- submitted applicatin Sept 6, sat around with no invites for a week, got nervous and added 10 more (oops). My plans are to interview at 15 residency programs and rank 10. Bolds are invites.

Residency
Stanford University Program, Stanford, CA
Irvine - DECLINED
UCSD
UConn
Yale
Baystate
Beth Israel Deaconess
Boston University Medical Center

Harvard/Brigham and Women's Hospital Program, Boston, MA
Massachusetts General Hospital
St Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston

Tufts-New England Medical Center
University of Massachusetts
Johns Hopkins University Program, Baltimore, MD
Duke
University of North Carolina Hospitals Program, Chapel Hill, NC
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Mount Sinai School of Medicine Program, New York, NY
St Vincent's - DECLINED
NYU
Cornell
Columbia
St Luke's-Roosevelt

Drexel University College of Medicine Program, Philadelphia, PA
Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center
Thomas Jefferson University Program
Univ of Pittsburgh
- DECLINED
University of Pennsylvania Program, Philadelphia, PA

Prelim
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center Program, Boston, MA
Boston University Medical Center Program, Boston, MA
Brigham and Women's Hospital Program, Boston, MA
Caritas Carney Hospital Program, Dorchester, MA
Caritas St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Boston, MA
Lahey Clinic Medical Center Program, Burlington, MA
Massachusetts General Hospital Program, Boston, MA
Mount Auburn Hospital Program, Cambridge, MA
Drexel University College of Medicine
Thomas Jefferson University Program, Philadelphia, PA
Boston University (Roger Williams) Program, Providence, RI
Brown University Program, Providence, RI

Way to go - super impressive list!!

From this thread I see that some students are holding on to way too many interviews – in some cases it is physically (financially?) impossible to attend all of them. Can you please release the ones you don't want to attend as soon as you can? The schools are running out of interview spots and appreciate this too.

What if you did an away elective and were promised an interview both by the chairman and PD but you haven't received an invite (batch went out yesterday)? How (and should you) does one gently remind them?

E'02 said:
What if you did an away elective and were promised an interview both by the chairman and PD but you haven't received an invite (batch went out yesterday)? How (and should you) does one gently remind them?

Tough one. I had this happen and was very upset when a program didnt offer me with the first batch. I did get an offer quickly, but just wasnt one of the first. Give it a week, I say, and then call. Can't hurt.

dave262 said:
Totally gay letter from UAB today... they said they had filled are there interview slots and that I am on a short wait list for an interview. totally weak.... but this is what I get for turning in my apps late.

Cancelled UAB today (11/3), good luck.

Idiopathic said:
Tough one. I had this happen and was very upset when a program didnt offer me with the first batch. I did get an offer quickly, but just wasnt one of the first. Give it a week, I say, and then call. Can't hurt.

I appreciate the advice - thanks

I didn't receive an invite from the two programs that I rotated at until the second batch. I wouldn't sweat it.

University of Colorado via email today! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
U Colorado. Today as well. 1st one for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time!
What is the scuttlebutt. I have heard a lot and nothing about this program...

Idiopathic said:
Barnes Jewish is a well known hospital. The smartest doctor I know did IM/pulmonolgy there like 1,000 years ago.

isn't that in st. louis?

Youre right, I wasnt thinking. National Jewish is in Denver, but I dont even think it has any affiliation with CU. Forget everything I said.

Still, there's skiing.

Has anyone heard from Ohio State? You would think 4.5 years and an undergraduate degree would atleast help score an interview.....

jakebuck said:
Has anyone heard from Ohio State? You would think 4.5 years and an undergraduate degree would atleast help score an interview.....

I was offered an interview from them about 4 weeks ago.

E'02 said:

One PD where I did an away said, "If you want to be proactive, when you have your application in, send me an email to let me know. I look at all applications anyway, but email to make sure that I read yours."

Yeah, I had a PD on an away rotation tell me "if you don't hear something from us, make sure you call".

That's good to hear. It's still early, so I'll plan on calling them by the end of next week if nothing comes in. Thanks guys

Ahhh, finally got the invite from UCI, my third invite from southern cal so far... I was expecting nada from cali, being an avg applicant coming from the east coast... such pleasant surprises. After a waitlist from Jefferson, and no response from Cornell, hoping I'm back on the right track.... :) I wanna thank the person who cancelled their UCI interview so that I could get in on the action.

I will reciprocate by cancelling several soon. Remember guys, don't hang on to your invites too long.

have you guys heard anything from uci yet regarding setting up interview dates?

vecuronium said:

Not yet, doesnt seem like the most organized way of going about things for us or them!

vecuronium said:

I spoke with the coordinator today. She said they're a bit backed up on sending out the confirmation of dates b/c the PD was out all last week but she is working on getting them out.
I sent her an email this morning asking for confirmation and she got back to me right away. If you have been offered an interview and are just awaiting date confirmation, I would either call or email her about it.

thanx guys. ya'll are on the ball.

Hey there.
Here's my current list of interviews:

Scheduled
-UCLA
-USC
-Loma Linda
-UC Davis
-Virginia Mason
-OHSU
-Univ of MI
-UC Irvine

Awaiting
-UCSF
-Stanford
-UW
-UCSD

Cancelled/Will cancel
-Univ of CO
-Univ of AZ
-Dartmouth
-Utah

U of Minn via email today, but they offer only ONE date... 12/10 (Saturday).

"We are planning to interview invited applicants on Saturday, December 10,
2005. Only under extenuating circumstances will interviews be arranged for
other dates"

Hmmmmmm.... I'm going to be in Seattle.... :confused:

ear-ache said:
U of Minn via email today, but they offer only ONE date... 12/10 (Saturday).

"We are planning to interview invited applicants on Saturday, December 10,
2005. Only under extenuating circumstances will interviews be arranged for
other dates"

I think that is ridiculous and unreasonable. The only good thing is that it's a Saturday -- I wish more places did that. But over all, boo for having only one interview day. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Virginia Mason by email today

Felt the guillotine for the first time to date. MGH right through the neck with a clean cut (11/4). Anyone know if they have any criteria e.g. research pubs, particular board school, LOR from top gun? afterall, i guess MGH is one of the programs that could set pretty high criteria and still the fill the class with no problems.

a SECOND email invite from Wash U St. Louis?? I feel so wanted . . . :love: :love: :p j/k. . .I'm sure today's batch of invites got accidentally sent to the wrong distribution list.

MedicinePowder said:
Felt the guillotine for the first time to date. MGH right through the neck with a clean cut (11/4). Anyone know if they have any criteria e.g. research pubs, particular board school, LOR from top gun? afterall, i guess MGH is one of the programs that could set pretty high criteria and still the fill the class with no problems.

I'm still getting crickets from them, and good question but i guess i dont fit their criteria either (i do have pubs and research, perhaps it's my board score?). whatever. if i were to choose one Boston program to interview at, I'd prefer Brigham, but apparently Boston doesn't seem to like me at all (not even BID), and that's sad for me considering my family lives near there and it would have been nice to go back home for residency.

p.s. didn't Stanford say they were gonna communicate yay or nay by tomorrow (11/5)? anyone hear anything from them? CRICKETS. . .i'm getting CRICKETS!!!

Sniper shot from MGH and columbia. Still waiting to hear from a bunch of programs, I think its breeding season for crickets.

chicamedica said:
I'm still getting crickets from them, and good question but i guess i dont fit their criteria either (i do have pubs and research, perhaps it's my board score?). whatever. if i were to choose one Boston program to interview at, I'd prefer Brigham, but apparently Boston doesn't seem to like me at all (not even BID), and that's sad for me considering my family lives near there and it would have been nice to go back home for residency.

p.s. didn't Stanford say they were gonna communicate yay or nay by tomorrow (11/5)? anyone hear anything from them? CRICKETS. . .i'm getting CRICKETS!!!

MedicinePowder said:

No Boston guillotine yet here...Im sure its coming though.

Idiopathic said:
No Boston guillotine yet here...Im sure its coming though.

MGH via e-mail a couple of days ago. i'm guessing they rank research experience/publications because it wasn't my Step that caught their eye.

I just got my first rejection -- Stanford.

Somehow less than heartbroken, though. :laugh: I applied to a few places that I no longer wanted to move to, and that was one of them.

I feel the axe coming from BWH, though, after not hearing for weeks -- I'll be sad about that one. :scared:

Stanford via email today! :)

...sorry IlianaSedai... I'm sure good ones are on the way!

IlianaSedai said:
What's a ding? Like "Ding! You won!" kind of ding?

I'm sure "ding" means "You're a loser, next!" Guess what, I'm a loser too. At least that Janine Roberts character kept her promise to let us know before Nov 5.

I got a feeling they're gonna ding a lot of east coast people no matter what the credentials are.

On a good note, Yale invited me today. :thumbup:

first rejection as well from the Stanford. :( A little less than heartbroken as well. . .I've gotten interviews from better programs already (or rather places I'd prefer more).

jc237 said:
I'm sure "ding" means "You're a loser, next!" Guess what, I'm a loser too. At least that Janine Roberts character kept her promise to let us know before Nov 5. I got a feeling they're gonna ding a lot of east coast people.

Okay -- I just wasn't sure whether it was a positive or negative "ding."

The funny thing is, I am FROM San Francisco -- I just forgot to put that as my permanent address when I submitted my ERAS application! :laugh: Ooooops!

Congratulations on Yale. I'd rather go there than Stanford (though that's partly a geographic bias, being no longer excited to move to sterile Silicon Valley).

IlianaSedai said:
Okay -- I just wasn't sure whether it was a positive or negative "ding."

The funny thing is, I am FROM San Francisco -- I just forgot to put that as my permanent address when I submitted my ERAS application! :laugh: Ooooops!

Oh are their rejections location based? that explains it then. I'm a total east coaster. oh, the prejudice. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.