Interviews part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Idiopathic said:

hey Idiopathic, u always in my way, bro. It's getting late. Go to bed or something!

bitch!

no oxygen said:
Strange...I'm in the south and of the 5 programs I've yet to get invites, 4 of them are in the south (and I applied to a ton in the north). :confused:

Trying to make any sense of this process is impossible. Its complete madness.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn, only three posts away from unknowingly and unwittingly claiming the 1000 mark for myself. I will have sleepless nights of torment wondering why I didnt push the 'submit reply' button just a second earlier. I could have been immortalized in SDN geekdom, but instead I'm just another run-of-the-mill random poster.

Its on for #2,000!

There is definetely a regional bias in all specialties. Schools from the Northeast are afraid that Southerners will not move there because of the snow.

Schools in the south are afraid that students from the North will not be able to handle the 85 degrees in the winter (why? I will never know).

Also, there is a theory out there that residents are happiest when they are near their support system, i.e. family, friends, and familiar surroundings. If you have to work 80 hours a week, you mine as well have something to go home to.

I spoke with people at UCSD yesterday and they said that they would have all of the interview/rejections out by this Friday.

On another note, I spoke with another program (small community type) yesterday and they told me that they had around 300 applicants last year and were up to over 400 this year.

Just when I thought I wasn't gonna get any more southern hospitality besides Baylor...UTSW today via e-mail :)

I just wanna get below the mason-dixon line for residency, is that so wrong?

And a big fat "NO THANKS" from my only west coast app...UCSF :(

Can you guys help me decide which Texas programs I should go to!! I have received interview intvitations at all of them except A&M and will only be able to go to about 3 interviews, which ones should I go to!! Thanks in advance.

U of AZ, Ohio State (11/9) and Indiana (11/10). Finally a little love :love:

I got the invite from Cornell and I emailed them back next day. Their reply is "All our interview dates are full. Do you want to be wait-listed?". I can't believe this kinda thing can happen. Why bothered to send me the invite when I can't schedule an interview. GRRRRRRRR. Screw it. Sorry, guys. I have to vent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same thing happened with Cornell. I called the next day and all spots were full. It sucks !!

Cookie said:
Can you guys help me decide which Texas programs I should go to!! I have received interview intvitations at all of them except A&M and will only be able to go to about 3 interviews, which ones should I go to!! Thanks in advance.

If I had to pick 3, go with UTSW, Baylor, and UTMB.

Does anyone know if OHSU is still offering interviews or should I give up hope?

Cookie said:

did you get an invite from T. Tech - i didnt think they'd sent any out yet.

no oxygen said:
If I had to pick 3, go with UTSW, Baylor, and UTMB.

I would have to agree

Got the hand from UCSF today but on a happier note... got an invitation from Wash U to interview :thumbup: :)

Sleepytime2?

I would GUESS that they are done-with the proviso there may be additional invites as people cancel down the road. They are popular d/t location and increasingly well respected program quality. I think they interview around 105 people for 8 slots they fill in match.

Good luck

SleepyTime!! said:
Does anyone know if OHSU is still offering interviews or should I give up hope?

dave262 said:
did you get an invite from T. Tech - i didnt think they'd sent any out yet.

Yeah, Texas Tech started sending out invites last week (on 10/31 actually).

Booted by UCSF as well. Again, not too upset about it surprisingly. Saves me some cross-country traveling hassle.

Cookie said:
Same thing happened with Cornell. I called the next day and all spots were full. It sucks !!

Wow, this is very unprofessional of them... Wonder what kind of show they're running over there. This is the first time I have heard of this happening. If it happened to me, I would be fuming. Sorry to hear this.

First post...

Invites:
MGH
B+W
BID
BU
Tufts
Dartmouth
Yale
Columbia
UPENN
JHU
Duke
Emory
Univ. of Chicago
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA

Waiting on:
Cornell
Northwestern
UCSD

Any advice on which programs I should decline/cancel given that I cannot go on all these interviews?

chicamedica said:
Booted by UCSF as well. Again, not too upset about it surprisingly. Saves me some cross-country traveling hassle.

Ditto - San Francisco is one of the 3 places my husband has agreed to move. I got my rejection today so the pressure is off. Yes I know it is a great program and I know this kind of sounds like "sour grapes" but what a relief not to have to travel all the way there. I'm already tired!

I haven't gotten a yeah or nay from UCSF- I must be really "special". They must be preparing a designer rejection letter, may be throwing out some good rhymes with it?!

Got the FU from SF today too. Talk about a harsh sounding rejection. What ever. I've heard that it's a malignant program anyway. Now Stanford, that one hurt... nice people, nice place, nice program. Still holding out hope for UCSD, but I'm not holding my breath.

UCSF and Stanford both said "...are you kiddin' me?", Oh well...didn't really care too much for northern cali anyways! (I believe the psych term used for this is rationalization).

moonlight2000 said:
UCSF and Stanford both said "...are you kiddin' me?", Oh well...didn't really care too much for northern cali anyways! (I believe the psych term used for this is rationalization).

I'm doing a fair amount of rationalization too. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot.

Bella2006 said:
I'm doing a fair amount of rationalization too. Oh well, at least I gave it a shot.

some cats on here got MGH and Hopkins interviews but got put on their knees and got it execution style from Stanford and UCSF. what's the deal?

I just think that a school like UCSF or Stanford with probably 1300-1400 applicants has a very difficult task in selecting 180-200 for interview. They likely turned away more than one 250+ USMLE score/4.0 honors student if they felt ike they wouldnt make the trip or wouldnt fit in there.

Its nice to be in the UCSF situation, but its also difficult to manage it sometimes, Im sure.

Anyone have HBO or HBO on demand? If you like quality TV without commercial interruption, Rome is the show for you. Good time... that and da ali g show :D :laugh: :smuggrin:

Idiopathic said:
I just think that a school like UCSF or Stanford with probably 1300-1400 applicants has a very difficult task in selecting 180-200 for interview. They likely turned away more than one 250+ USMLE score/4.0 honors student if they felt ike they wouldnt make the trip or wouldnt fit in there.

Its nice to be in the UCSF situation, but its also difficult to manage it sometimes, Im sure.

Idiopathic, I don't think they even interview that many. UCSF interviewed about 100 last year and Stanford ~120 whereas the east coast places tend to consistently interview ~10x their spots... not sure why this is the case- maybe because there are more programs in the east and they have to compete amongst themselves.

I'm invited... No I'm not... Yes I am... invited to UCSD. :laugh:

Hummmm it's 4:30 now and I havent' heard from UCSD. Is leading me to think rejection. :(

Congrats to you guys that got it thought! :)

This UCSD invites got me wondering, how do they send out interview invites? Is there like a click-box under ERAS for the residency coordinator to just put a check mark on all the applicants that got the interview and click send or do they send out a mass/individual emails? Anybody have an idea....just curious?

been awhile since i gave my 50 cents.

interviews offered:
-SLU
-wayne state
-U of MI
-MCW
-Wake forest
-U of Pitt
-case western
-U of KY
-CCF
-Beth isreal
-SUNY brooklyn
-UIC
-loyola
-BU
-henry ford
-U of MO
-ohio st

moonlight2000 said:
This UCSD invites got me wondering, how do they send out interview invites? Is there like a click-box under ERAS for the residency coordinator to just put a check mark on all the applicants that got the interview and click send or do they send out a mass/individual emails? Anybody have an idea....just curious?

Yes, I think so.

Idiopathic said:
Yes, I think so.

I think so too, which leads to an interesting question. Anyone dinged by UCSD yet?

UCSD by email. I won't be scheduling any further interviews. I'll be withdrawing my app. from all schools on the east coast and midwest by early next week. Hopefully that will open some slots. Best of luck.

Still no word from UCSD. I guess this means I am not getting an interview...Oh well....time to rationalize once again... :oops:

moonlight2000 said:
Still no word from UCSD. I guess this means I am not getting an interview...Oh well....time to rationalize once again... :oops:

I keep checking myeras constantly. I think you're right. No word at this point most likely means that it's time for us to start rationalizing agian... You know, San Diego may have nice weather, but they have earthquakes and fires too. ;)

dropping all my NY schools next week...

hopefully you NYers will b able to pick them up :thumbup: I got a few places i think i reallly want to go finally. :cool:

KingDong said:
Finally, Emory

Congrats on the invite...I'm still anxiously waiting to hear from them. :scared:
Was it thru e-mail or the post?

Actually, it was a phone call.

I didn't answer because I thought it was the Rads Dept (I'm on a radiology elective) wondering why I left work at 9:30AM!

Got a nice long voicemail from some guy inviting me to interview - will set up on Monday.

Who else got the Dartmouth email? The one that says, "we want to interview you, but we have a wait list" and then proceeds to tell you how the waitlist works.

Just as common courtesy, will all places send reject letters or can you assume that if you haven't heard from them in (and folks have been getting interviews) that you're no longer in the running?

Status
Not open for further replies.