Interventional cardiology 2019-20 official thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
1. BWH 1/22-23
2. UWash 1/6
3. UIC 1/10
4. Minneapolis
5. Montefiore 1/17
6. CaseWestern
7. Baystate
8. Columbia (1/5)
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Knoxville
11. Brown
12. Emory
13. Methodist Brooklyn
14. Medstar Washington Hospital
15. Hofstra
16. St. Luke's/Temple Univ.
17. OSU
18. West Virginia University
19. University of Miami
20. University of south florida
21. Rutgers
23. St Luke roosevelt/ Beth israel NY
24. University of Arkansas
25. University of Oklahoma
26. University of Buffalo
27. University of Toledo
28. NYU
29. NYU-wintrop
30. Ocshner
31. Methodist houston
32. UT houston
33. UT San Antonio
34. Univ of Tennesse - Memphis
35. Temple Univ
36. Drexel Univ
37. Baystate
38. Brown
39. Univ of Arizona
40. UMass

Rejections/Filled:
1. University of Washington - rejection
2. Baylor - rejection
3. Duke - filled
4. University of Iowa - filled
5. St. Elizabeth - filled
6. Dartmouth - filled
7. Allegheny General Hospital - filled
8. University of Rochester - filled
9. University of Alabama - filled
10. Dartmouth - filled
11. Westchester Med Ctr/NYMC - filled
12. UPenn - Rejection
13. Rush
14. USC
15. UCM
16. Penn State Hershey - rejection
17. Mt. Sinai NY - rejection
18. UCSD - rejection
19. Mayo Clinic Rochester - rejection
20. Penn State/Hershey - rejection
21. MGH - rejection
22. George Washington - filled
23. St Johns MI-filled
24. Vanderbilt - rejection
25. Temple Univ - filled
25. Univ of Illinois Chicago - filled
26. Lenox Hill - filled
27. University of Chicago - filled
28. Univ of Arizona
29. UAMS - filled
30. UNC - filled

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Recent interview invites: Loyola, Mt Sinai, Vanderbilt, UTHouston, Cornell, Kaiser LA

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ of Arizona college of med; not sure

“Thank you for your interest in the Interventional Fellowship Program at the University of Arizona. I am sorry to disappoint you though that you have not been selected by our fellowship committee for an interview as our positions for the year 2019-2020 have been filled. I wish you the best in your training and future careers. We do thank you again for your time and consideration.“

1. BWH 1/22-23
2. UWash 1/6
3. UIC 1/10
4. Minneapolis
5. Montefiore 1/17
6. CaseWestern
7. Baystate
8. Columbia (1/5)
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Knoxville
11. Brown
12. Emory
13. Methodist Brooklyn
15. Hofstra
17. OSU
19. University of Miami
21. Rutgers
27. University of Toledo
28. NYU
29. NYU-wintrop
30. Ocshner
31. Methodist houston
32. UT houston
33. UT San Antonio
35. Temple Univ
36. Drexel Univ
37. Baystate
38. Brown
39. Univ of Arizona
40. UMass

Rejections/Filled:
2. Baylor - rejection
3. Duke - filled
6. Dartmouth - filled
10. Dartmouth - filled
12. UPenn - Rejection
13. Rush
14. USC
15. UCM
18. UCSD - rejection
21. MGH - rejection
23. St Johns MI-filled
25. Temple Univ - filled
26. Lenox Hill - filled
28. Univ of Arizona
29. UAMS - filled
30. UNC - filled

Univ of SD Stanford filled

1. BWH 1/22-23
2. UWash 1/6
3. UIC 1/10
4. Minneapolis
5. Montefiore 1/17
6. CaseWestern
7. Baystate
8. Columbia (1/5)
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Knoxville
11. Brown
12. Emory
13. Methodist Brooklyn
15. Hofstra
17. OSU
19. University of Miami
21. Rutgers
27. University of Toledo
28. NYU
29. NYU-wintrop
30. Ocshner
31. Methodist houston
32. UT houston
33. UT San Antonio
35. Temple Univ
36. Drexel Univ
37. Baystate
38. Brown
39. Univ of Arizona
40. UMass
41. BIDMC
42. Boston Medical

Rejections/Filled:
2. Baylor - rejection
3. Duke - filled
6. Dartmouth - filled
10. Dartmouth - filled
12. UPenn - Rejection
13. Rush
14. USC
15. UCM
18. UCSD - rejection
21. MGH - rejection
23. St Johns MI-filled
25. Temple Univ - filled
26. Lenox Hill - filled
28. Univ of Arizona
29. UAMS - filled
30. UNC - filled

Ohio rejection
Musc I heard took internally
Any word on my Sinai Miami?
Any other programs?

1. BWH 1/22-23
2. UWash 1/6
3. UIC 1/10
4. Minneapolis
5. Montefiore 1/17
6. CaseWestern
7. Baystate
8. Columbia (1/5)
9. Cleveland Clinic
10. Knoxville
11. Brown
12. Emory
13. Methodist Brooklyn
15. Hofstra
17. OSU
19. University of Miami
21. Rutgers
27. University of Toledo
28. NYU
29. NYU-wintrop
30. Ocshner
31. Methodist houston
32. UT houston
33. UT San Antonio
35. Temple Univ
36. Drexel Univ
37. Baystate
38. Brown
39. Univ of Arizona
40. UMass
41. BIDMC
42. Boston Medical

Rejections/Filled:
2. Baylor - rejection
3. Duke - filled
6. Dartmouth - filled
10. Dartmouth - filled
12. UPenn - Rejection
13. Rush
14. USC
15. UCM
18. UCSD - rejection
21. MGH - rejection
23. St Johns MI-filled
25. Temple Univ - filled
26. Lenox Hill - filled
28. Univ of Arizona
29. UAMS - filled
30. UNC - filled
31. University of South Dakota - filled

Carillion Clinic VT, Cornell sent invites a few weeks back
Rowan Cooper, Loyola, Lankenau in Philly invites last week
UCSD, UIC filled
Tulane, Cleveland Clinic, Ohio State rejection

Turned down all of these as I have accepted position elsewhere which I am very happy about.

This process doesn’t have a whole lot of leverage but I’m thrilled that I at least found a position. Received two more offers after accepting which I had to politely turn down. A match process would definitely be much more fair for all parties involved.

Won’t post reviews unless anonymized but happy to give my opinions via PM

Last edited:
Here’s a few thoughts on this.

1. Agreed with earlier poster @limatolad that the process has very little leverage. If you get an offer you pretty much should accept it - unless you have 4-5 competing offers at the same time (which is unlikely as places will send them at different times) it’s very tough to not accept it and to hold out for one that you really want. Typically you get 48 hours or a weekend to ponder before accepting, and I’ve heard stories of being required to say yes/no on the spot.
2. If a program has 2-3 spots and they have internal candidates, usually the internal candidates get 1 position. It is rare for programs to have one spot with internal candidates included competing but it does happen.
3. Interview days are extremely variable in their setup. Some are formal and set up much like your gen cards interviews, and some are incredibly fluid and you basically hang out in the cath lab all day and interview faculty in between their cases. The latter can run quite long with the days lasting until 4-5 pm so make sure to call, ask, and plan flights accordingly!
4. Faculty typically really chill in my experience and most of interview is geared around asking about what your life goals are etc. I had a couple of more technical, detail oriented interviews but those are rare. Many places do want to know how your lab is set up.
5. There were some places which filled without letting other candidates know. I called the PC to ask for updates. **They know all of the applicants extremely well and can hold a lot of sway! Be nice!**
6. Have a ready answer for why you are applying out and are not staying at your home program. I got asked this (directly and indirectly) numerous times.
7. No pre interview dinners on this trail for me. It would not have been feasible anyway given how busy it was.
8. Try to relax and enjoy the interview days. Remember you are a freaking cardiologist and a boss! Be happy with how far you’ve gotten in life and remember that you will ultimately do well no matter what .

I wish the very best of luck to everyone who goes through this and am happy to answer more specific questions privately.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Any programs haven't filled or sent interviews?
It seems that the programs are filling their spots earlier each year! we are still in the beginning of Feb and almost all programs filled or already sent interviews.
is there any hope if you don't have an offer by now?
what are thoughts on this?

Sorry to repost but would like to know about UConn hartford/farmington programs. Also how is the UBuffalo program?

Sorry to repost but would like to know about UConn hartford/farmington programs. Also how is the UBuffalo program?

The Hartford program has more PCI/STEMI volume and have an active structural heart program, including LVAD/Transplants. I believe they take 3 interventional fellows given the high volume.

Farmington is the smaller program with 1 interventional fellow. Acute cases seem to get diverted to Hartford, hence the low STEMI volume at Farmington. Fellows at both program seem to be happy.

I dont know much about the UBuffalo program.

Any programs haven't filled or sent interviews?
It seems that the programs are filling their spots earlier each year! we are still in the beginning of Feb and almost all programs filled or already sent interviews.
is there any hope if you don't have an offer by now?
what are thoughts on this?

Unfortunately yes I think the season is over now. Most, if not all programs are already filled or will fill once done interviewing those they have already invited

Unfortunately yes I think the season is over now. Most, if not all programs are already filled or will fill once done interviewing those they have already invited

FWIW before I cancelled, I had an interview in March and two in Feb. but it is possible that interview invites largely are done. This has been a pretty competitive season it seems

No the season is not over. You will be surprised many programs start this process around March/April. Keep following up. yes majority already started and filled but keep following. many people change there mind after few months. Some drop offers after signing contracts.

I did not like this process and prefer match.

Any one has any idea about transfer of PGY 6 cardiology position to one of Texas cardiology programs ?

Utah, Nebraska, Colorado, Buffalo, Beaumont filled
Kentucky and BIDMC rejections

Brooklyn Methodist , Houston Methodist , uni Tennessee in Memphis filled

BIDMC, Brown, OSU, Buffalo, Baystate, case Western filled

Any Idea about Providence program in Southfield MI, procedure wise and environment. Thanks

No the season is not over. You will be surprised many programs start this process around March/April. Keep following up. yes majority already started and filled but keep following. many people change there mind after few months. Some drop offers after signing contracts.

I did not like this process and prefer match.

I think everything has happened much earlier this year unfortunately- and this seems to be a trend in the IC interview season that programs try to interview and get stuff out of the way progressively earlier. I’m sure there’s a few programs that haven’t made a decision though.

In general the sense I got is that by the time I had even started interviewing (mid Jan), most of the “top tier” places had already interviewed and/or chosen their candidates. Also I think there were a record number of applicants this year, to top it all off.

Now that it’s the end of March, was curious how everyone fared and whether anyone is still interviewing/waiting for invites

Just wanted to share my experiences so it may be helpful for future applicants. This forum has been helpful to me and wanted to pay back.

The whole process is different than from residency and fellowship. It is pretty chaotic and nerve wracking. I started receiving interviews in early January and the process lasted until Mid March. Some programs give you the option of choosing the interview day and others just give you one day. The actual interview day is pretty variable: Some are laid-back and others are very intense. I had some interviews where they just asked about my goals and others where they grilled me about catheters, views and Gorlin formula. Most interview days had 4 to 5 people, and others had 20 people. Nothing is depressing more than walking into a room and seeing 20 other people in suits for one position.

I received only one offer that I accepted right away. Some impressions of the programs that I interviewed at:

1. Montefiore/Einstein: PD is very nice. They have two campuses. Mostly coronaries. They have an option for peripheral/endovascular year. There is no structural exposure. they have four fellows per year. Interview is in a panel format, and they ask about AS.
2. UConn Farmington: They only have one fellows. Gets about 350 PCI in a year. Mostly coronaries. Fellow seemed happy.
3. Univ of Arizona-Phoenix/Banner: Three fellows who each get about 250 PCI in a year. PD is pretty nice and fellows are happy. There is a structural year, for which sometimes they take internally, which seemed to be highlight of the program.
4. Vanderbilt: Great program with exposure to coronaries, peripheral and structural, all in one year. 3 positions. Almost always take internally.
5. UMass/Baystate: 3 fellows. Busy program. Lots of coronaries and peripherals. PD is very nice and very engaged in the program.
6. St. Luke's/Beth Israel in NYC: They are combining both programs as part of the Mount Sinai system. 4 positions and fellows do 6 months at each hospital. Seems like a good program though future of Beth Israel is unclear as the hospital is mostly closing down with cath labs and intensive care beds being open.

What’s everyone’s opinion on William Beaumont in Detroit? Also what’s everyone’s opinion on going to a program that has a structural fellowship? I hear that structural attending jobs are becoming harder and harder to get.

What’s everyone’s opinion on William Beaumont in Detroit? Also what’s everyone’s opinion on going to a program that has a structural fellowship? I hear that structural attending jobs are becoming harder and harder to get.

Heard it’s a pretty good high volume program with a lot of fellows. Beyond that unsure of details

Took the position at my own program after having gone though this most grueling process. My advice for future applicants is to work very hard as a general cardiology fellow and cultivate good relationships with your interventional staff. Going on interviews is fine - if this is something which is advised by your own program's interventional program director or if there is a specific program which you feel will best suit your needs, however your best chances are to stay at home base. From my experience, the vast majority of these positions were given away to internal candidates, even if the floor was open - so to speak - for outside applicants. In this game outside applicants are more of an insurance policy for the programs.

Took the position at my own program after having gone though this most grueling process. My advice for future applicants is to work very hard as a general cardiology fellow and cultivate good relationships with your interventional staff. Going on interviews is fine - if this is something which is advised by your own program's interventional program director or if there is a specific program which you feel will best suit your needs, however your best chances are to stay at home base. From my experience, the vast majority of these positions were given away to internal candidates, even if the floor was open - so to speak - for outside applicants. In this game outside applicants are more of an insurance policy for the programs.

Congrats man! Yeah I am not a fan of programs interviewing outside applicants when they end up taking all of their own - waste of time and money for all involved - but at least it’s over.

East carolina University; Vidant Medical Center is filled.

Good luck to everyone this year since the season already started. Lets start a different thread for IC 2020-2021