Interested in Internship Outside of U.S.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pawdawan

C/O 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a fourth-year veterinary student and I have set my heart out on doing a small-animal rotating internship post-graduation. I acknowledge there are many excellent internship programs here in the U.S., but I also think it would be a great and unique learning experience for me to gain mentorship outside of the U.S. Recently, I have been considering the idea of possibly working particularly in New Zealand or Australia, but I'd like to gain more information.

Does anyone know where I can get more information on which programs are available and how applying to these locations works for non-residents? I found a couple of programs online, but they seem to be open to residents only. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The Vet Service just did a presentation at Glasgow, but it was about applying for locum work and the process for possible more permanent work in Australia and New Zealand. I know you will have to apply for a visa and I would check out the Vet Service website they have some information about the process of obtaining a visa and the government red tape that must be navigated. BTW New Zealand is looking for Food animal vets and Australia has mostly small animals vets openings. The locum work max is work is two years and the Australian government has some strange rules. I would contact Vet Service and also look up the Australian government web page on work visas.