Internships and Residencies outside of the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ejblue

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is moreso out of my own curiosity/education than actual intention to apply outside of the match this cycle. I have a long ways to go before having that option, I just want to understand better!

How does one find opportunities outside of VIRMP? Is there one place where they are all listed or do you have to find each opportunity yourself? Can you apply to those even before VIRMP releases the match results? Are there residencies outside of the match as well or just internships? Any information helps! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Pathology residencies are outside of the match. They get posted on the ACVP and ASVCP websites as well as various social media channels and email listservs. For clinical pathology you don’t necessarily need an internship, so my 4th year I applied directly to residencies. Our residency app process usually starts earlier than VIRMP so you apply in the fall and they’ve usually announced positions by late October or early November. So when it was becoming clear I wasn’t getting a residency on my first application cycle, I shifted and signed up for the match for an internship through VIRMP. I matched, and then during my intern year I reapplied for residencies outside the match and was successful on my second attempt. You can apply to whatever you want but you’d need to be mindful of dates you can last withdraw from the match. If I remember correctly a lot of the other people I knew who got internships and residencies outside the match (like private practice equine) all seemed to know prior to match time.

Reactions: 1 user
There are some zoo internships and residencies outside of the match as well. These are all posted on the AAZV website and the residencies are also on the ACZM website. Kind of a mixed bag as far as whether the application process opens before or after the match. I know a couple of the internships this cycle had their applications due prior to the match but did not start contacting people until after.

Reactions: 1 user
Ophthalmology residencies are also outside the VIRMP match; they basically have their own matching system. There are some equine and exotic/zoo internships/residencies that are outside the match; these are posted on the AAEP and AAZV websites, respectively.

And there are scattered/random internships and residences offered outside the match each year. Realize that for internships, there is no regulation. You could pretty much call any job an "internship" if you want to.

Reactions: 1 users