Interested in pursuing Radiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hoofstock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current fourth year vet student currently on clinical rotations. Only in the last month have I decided to seriously consider a residency in radiology or possibly surgery. I know both are very competitive and I’m pretty scared right now at having decided so late that this is a possibility of what I want to do. I’m trying to find more information on which residencies have grade cut offs but I’ve been finding that this information could be really hard to find. I know it can be different for every program, but does someone have information on where I can find grade cut offs and other requirements for applying to specific residencies?

I never focused on strengthening my application for residency during vet school, because I didn’t think this was an option I would choose. I feel like I’d be a pretty average candidate, unless I decided to write a case report or some thing during my fourth year and got good recommendation letters.

Members don't see this ad.

Any official requirements should be on the VIRMP listing for each program. I can’t speak specifically for radiology because I’m in a different specialty, but I’d bet that most places that weed people out based upon GPA don’t have a formal cutoff, it’s just more of an unofficial one they don’t publicize. At this point you can’t significantly change your GPA, so I’d focus on radiology experience and developing relationships with radiologists because you’re going to need excellent letters of rec and demonstrated interest in the field, especially if your GPA is on the lower side. Plan to do a rotating and/or radiology specific internship to develop those relationships if needed.

I am a current fourth year vet student currently on clinical rotations. Only in the last month have I decided to seriously consider a residency in radiology or possibly surgery. I know both are very competitive and I’m pretty scared right now at having decided so late that this is a possibility of what I want to do. I’m trying to find more information on which residencies have grade cut offs but I’ve been finding that this information could be really hard to find. I know it can be different for every program, but does someone have information on where I can find grade cut offs and other requirements for applying to specific residencies?

I never focused on strengthening my application for residency during vet school, because I didn’t think this was an option I would choose. I feel like I’d be a pretty average candidate, unless I decided to write a case report or some thing during my fourth year and got good recommendation letters.
No one (at least for radiology) will list a specific grade cut-off. Obviously better to have higher grades, but this isn't the only thing programs will look at. Let the radiologists at your institution know NOW that you are interested, and see if you can work on a project or something with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding on to questions about radiology residency: Is it basically unheard of at this point to match to a radiology residency without a radiology internship?? Also what do people do that don't match to a radiology internship either?? I'm a current small animal rotating intern currently applying for radiology residencies and just trying to be realistic with myself/ prepare myself.

Reactions: 1 user
Adding on to questions about radiology residency: Is it basically unheard of at this point to match to a radiology residency without a radiology internship?? Also what do people do that don't match to a radiology internship either?? I'm a current small animal rotating intern currently applying for radiology residencies and just trying to be realistic with myself/ prepare myself.
One of my classmates matched to an academic radiology residency straight out of rotating internship this previous cycle. I think it was one of the industry-sponsored positions where she had to sign on for several years after finishing, but I don't remember specifically.

Someone who used to be on these forums matched to a residency after a radiology internship. They scrambled into their specialty internship after not matching that year (so don't forget about the scramble).

One of the rotating interns when I was in school that didn't match for residency/specialty internship went on to work as an emergency clinician at my school. I'm not sure if they applied the next cycle or not, but they have since moved on and I think gone back to the country they had originally moved from.

I think I’d approach it thinking I was probably unlikely to match without a specialty internship, but go ahead and apply anyway because you can’t get one if you don’t apply. Applying wouldn’t hurt your chances on subsequent years after you have that specialty internship or further clinical experience. And who knows maybe you’d get lucky.

One of @SkiOtter s classmates matched into a residency straight after his rotating internship I believe (she'll correct me if I'm wrong; might be the class after her).

(Def not the class after me, they just graduated this year 😂)

Also I have no idea who this was at this point because I don’t pay attention to a lot of things so you may need to jog my memory 😂
One of the dudes. Name rhymes with "wrote".

It is possible to match into a residency straight after a rotating internship, but as others have said, be prepared for a second internship. If you don't get an internship either, working ER in a specialty hospital that has a radiologist is probably the next best thing you can do, and if you spend extra time with radiology on your days off (if that's feasible for you and your lifestyle), even better.

It is possible to match into a residency straight after a rotating internship, but as others have said, be prepared for a second internship. If you don't get an internship either, working ER in a specialty hospital that has a radiologist is probably the next best thing you can do, and if you spend extra time with radiology on your days off (if that's feasible for you and your lifestyle), even better.
Thanks everyone for the input! I had planned on applying to residencies knowing I'll likely have to do a radiology internship, I just didn't realize how few radiology internships there were out there:dead:

Thanks everyone for the input! I had planned on applying to residencies knowing I'll likely have to do a radiology internship, I just didn't realize how few radiology internships there were out there:dead:

Not all of them are in the Match. I got mine after the Match through my connections in the field who knew of people that had them and recommended me for them.

Reactions: 1 users