Internship start date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danalittle

Reaction score
okay this might be a silly question. i started vet school in january, so I will have a december 2028 graduation. i really want to do an internship after graduating, and i noticed in VIRMP that most internships have june start dates. are there internships out there with flexible start dates? i dont want to wait around for six months before i start. thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

okay this might be a silly question. i started vet school in january, so I will have a december 2028 graduation. i really want to do an internship after graduating, and i noticed in VIRMP that most internships have june start dates. are there internships out there with flexible start dates? i dont want to wait around for six months before i start. thanks!
My limited understanding from talking to one of the island students on my current rotation is that internships through the match are less of an option if you graduate at an unusual time. I say that with the caveat that he's in a cohort that graduates in the middle of the summer, which made VIRMP basically impossible for him and that's not the case for you, but VIRMP internships are not going to be flexible on start dates as far as I know. Maybe you'd be able to work during those 6 months and apply for VIRMP during that time - or apply for internships outside of the match, which may be more flexible.

It's best for everyone if the schools, intern and residency programs all have similar dates. Since most schools had graduations around May, the VIRMP folks recommend that the starting date for a specialty internship or residency program be on or after July 15th, and that the ending date of an internship program be no later than July 5th. That allows everyone time to progress from school to internship to residency with no conflicts but also not large gaps in employment.

A few school have graduation dates that don't follow these guidelines. These are often schools without internship and residency programs so it doesn't directly affect them; but it does cause problems for their graduates who want to pursue further training.

These schools need to get with the program.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly, the clinic I did my internship at had taken in an “off-cycle” Caribbean grad the year prior to my internship. I believe they had an intern they’d matched with through VIRMP quit a few months in, so they had an open position and were essentially giving the Caribbean grad a six month internship from Jan to later June to fill the open spot, at which time that person could apply for a more official on-cycle internship. But that was a special circumstance because they’d had someone quit and had an unexpected spot to fill.

We need to infiltrate the COE so we can steer it back to serving its intended purpose instead of rubber stamping all these new programs smh smh
I'm trying to! Very interested on the intricacies of it if selected. Because with all the new schools wanting approval I'm concerned

Reactions: 1 users
So it seems like the general consensus here is that graduating vet school in December/january is not ideal for internships. Should this impact my decision in this thread?

So it seems like the general consensus here is that graduating vet school in December/january is not ideal for internships. Should this impact my decision in this thread?
No. See your thread that outlines all the reasons to stay where you are. Just because it's not ideal does not mean you can't/wont' get into internship, you just have to do something else for a few months.

Reactions: 4 users
I agree with Mixy. It’s an inconvenience, but there are options to fill those months, whether it be looking for the off cycle position, finding a shorter term job, or even doing relief or vaccine clinics until time for VIRMP. But that inconvenience is not worth 50k+ in extra loans and interest. Island students get advanced training positions regularly. Also, you’re in your first year and often plans change drastically along the way. Who knows if you’ll even want to specialize in four years and then you’d have spent extra for no significant reason at all.

Reactions: 3 users
I agree with Mixy. It’s an inconvenience, but there are options to fill those months, whether it be looking for the off cycle position, finding a shorter term job, or even doing relief or vaccine clinics until time for VIRMP. But that inconvenience is not worth 50k+ in extra loans and interest. Island students get advanced training positions regularly. Also, you’re in your first year and often plans change drastically along the way. Who knows if you’ll even want to specialize in four years and then you’d have spent extra for no significant reason at all.
My limited understanding from talking to one of the island students on my current rotation is that internships through the match are less of an option if you graduate at an unusual time. I say that with the caveat that he's in a cohort that graduates in the middle of the summer, which made VIRMP basically impossible for him and that's not the case for you, but VIRMP internships are not going to be flexible on start dates as far as I know. Maybe you'd be able to work during those 6 months and apply for VIRMP during that time - or apply for internships outside of the match, which may be more flexible.
Thank you for all the advice!! is there a list somewhere of internships outside the match or is that something i'll need to do some research on?

Thank you for all the advice!! is there a list somewhere of internships outside the match or is that something i'll need to do some research on?
You’ll have to find them yourself, most likely. I’d recommend talking to people at your off-cycle school. In my opinion, if they’re gonna graduate you off cycle they should have some resources and helpful info, though that may not. Talking to previous students/former house officers at other off cycle schools may also be helpful. The jobs pages on some corporate chains websites or jobs postings on specialty board websites might possibly have posting, I don’t know. Pathology is all outside of the match so all positions available are posted on the ACVP and ASVCP websites.

Reactions: 1 users
You’ll have to find them yourself, most likely. I’d recommend talking to people at your off-cycle school. In my opinion, if they’re gonna graduate you off cycle they should have some resources and helpful info, though that may not. Talking to previous students/former house officers at other off cycle schools may also be helpful. The jobs pages on some corporate chains websites or jobs postings on specialty board websites might possibly have posting, I don’t know. Pathology is all outside of the match so all positions available are posted on the ACVP and ASVCP websites.
okay thank you tons for the info!!!